Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2024 11:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: freema22]
My father-in-law recently passed. His wife is still with us, but wanted his guns gone from the house. She offered some of them to me. I have a CPL. I visited the Chippewa County Sheriff (where they live) to ask them what I needed to fill out because I knew the laws changed in March. They told me to fill out an RI-060 for all of the guns that I was taking possession of, and turn them in to my local PD (downstate). In the seller box on the RI-060, they told me to put my FIL's name, followed by "deceased" and then her name followed by "Power of Attorney". I went to my local PD, explained the situation, and they agreed. I turned the paperwork and have heard nothing further.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, and one of her friends was telling her how without a death certificate, she and I were committing a felony. So, now she is paranoid, and so am I. I am questioning their instructions (both agencies) because it says the RI-060 needs to be turned in by the Seller. Am I good to go?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be fine, her friend sounds retarded. Chippewa county SD are decent folks, or at least were when I lived up there 18 years ago.

Don't get too wrapped up in the minutiae of this. The guns are entered into the worst database I've ever seen in my life, in the right names. Every cop you talked to is happy. You will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
A fine attorney friend of mine confirmed that I have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Am I understanding correctly that you now believe the new firearm purchase laws are clear as mud because your deceased father-in-law's wife's paranoid friend says you're committing a felony?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top