Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2023 12:47:31 AM EDT
Does anybody know if the 62 grain TTSX will stabilize out of a 1 in 9 twist?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It should. The 70gr won’t though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
That chart is for normal lead bullets though. Monolithic copper bullets are not the same. For example, the 55 grain TTSX requires a 1 in 9 twist. Notice I'm talking about the Tipped versions of the TSX not the normal TSX. The tipped version is longer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Worked fine in my 1/9.  I think it all depends on the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Worked fine in my 1/9.  I think it all depends on the barrel.
View Quote

<This. Not all barrels are exactly as marked. Depending on the manufacturer, twist rates can be +/- a little.

Many 1:9 barrels can shoot and stabilize 75/77 grain bullets, even though they are borderline not supposed to. Some 1:9's simply won't shoot them well.

All copper bullets, Barnes, GMX, etc. are considerably longer than their weight would indicate. Comparing them to a 62 grain M855 is probably not going to match up exactly. The bottom line is you are going to have to try them in your rifle to find out. I believe Barnes has twist rate suggestions included in their online reloading data base. I would check their first, before committing to a large purchase, after all, Barnes bullets are not real cheap.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Barnes lists 1:9 twist (or faster) as being needed for use with their 62 grain Tipped TSX .224" bullets.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

All copper bullets, Barnes, GMX, etc. are considerably longer than their weight would indicate.

View Quote

The 62gr TTSX is a hair longer than the 69gr SMK ....

Bullet lengths, ballistic coefficients, etc for many many bullets listed here, with a great filtering feature - https://www.xxl-reloading.com/Bullets/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top