Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2JokersWild] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SouthEndXGF:

It takes a throwaway email account to sign up for PSN. I've had an account for a long time. This isn't worth quitting a game I love to play over.
View Quote
PICK UP THAT CAN
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By -daddy:
There is significant chance that Sony will back down from this stooooopid idea.
View Quote

The devs were saying to review bomb the game so they can get more leeway with Sony about getting rid of the PSN requirement.

This problem is 100% on Sony.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

The devs were saying to review bomb the game so they can get more leeway with Sony about getting rid of the PSN requirement.

This problem is 100% on Sony.
View Quote
Sony doesn't care about reviews, only money. Even if they do back down today..... They WILL push it in at some point
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The download numbers for cracked games is astronomical. Hell, there are launchers/automatic downloaders for cracked games that rival GOG/steam.
View Quote
I know.
However, it would be a lot worse otherwise, and honestly, if consumers ever feel cheated enough, it should be a lot worse. It's a valid case for ethical piracy. That being said, Steam's generally fair and has gotten better over time, so I don't see the need. The bigger issue is that developers just aren't making much that interests me anymore.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Sony doesn't care about reviews, only money. Even if they do back down today..... They WILL push it in at some point
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think some of the devs are hoping for leverage to repair their busted image from the last week.

Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:

"There are some very wild stories about having to give sony your government ID and do biometric face scans and etc to register on their network, and sony/psn has had the living daylights hacked out of it for years now, leaking people's information everywhere."

That's due to a UK/Ireland law, has nothing to do with Sony or AH

"The company that makes helldivers is now forcing everyone to link to the playstation network to be able to play the game when that was not necessary when it initially came out."

Sony is now enforcing the requirement. This has always been a requirement with both Sony and Microsoft online games for over decade.

The CEO and AH knew this was a requirement and was going to be enforced, months prior to release.

It was stated that joining to the PSN account was a requirement before purchase and during the loading screen when playing before this became a problem.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Steam was very much a natural progression. It was an answer to the piracy problem, which would be rampant now if fair digital platforms didn't exist. It's never been easier to pirate now. You can find repacks/cracks of anything you want, and have them downloading in minutes, but most gamers don't, and steam is a large part of why they don't.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

No, I didn't blame valve.

"It was the natural progression ...

"Natural progression" is not valve/steam.

Steam was very much a natural progression. It was an answer to the piracy problem, which would be rampant now if fair digital platforms didn't exist. It's never been easier to pirate now. You can find repacks/cracks of anything you want, and have them downloading in minutes, but most gamers don't, and steam is a large part of why they don't.

IIRC the online distro was sold as reducing or removing the costs associated with physical distro.

I would be interested to see how the costs of distro and using steam are now vs the physical distro model.

So... piracy. Um, look at what you posted. "It was to answer the piracy problem which would be rampant.  Oh it's stupidly easy to pirate everything now."  Pirates don't have to fight with disc encryption just to copy the discs anymore. They can download the games from steam and the like, to work on cracking them.  That's not fixing the piracy problem, it's just moving the deck chairs around.

It's main effect seems to have been removing virtually all player control of how, when, and where gamers can use (or get) the product.

Heck, even GOG is modifying old games to remove the ability to do direct connect without having to use their stinking client.  They did it in stronghold (2, iirc).
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

Are my posts invisible or something?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:
I'm surprised no one remembered the time Sony installed a rootkit on people's computers from an audio CD as an anti piracy measure.

Did someone post something here?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I know.
However, it would be a lot worse otherwise, and honestly, if consumers ever feel cheated enough, it should be a lot worse. It's a valid case for ethical piracy. That being said, Steam's generally fair and has gotten better over time, so I don't see the need. The bigger issue is that developers just aren't making much that interests me anymore.
View All Quotes
The download numbers for cracked games is astronomical. Hell, there are launchers/automatic downloaders for cracked games that rival GOG/steam.
I know.

Concur, my Steam library is bigly big. It works, and overall it's only gotten better over the years.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember when steam first came out.... I mean back when it was optional to use it. Man, it was BAD in the beginning
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I will play until the PSN link account requirement pops up on my PC, will uninstall at that point.  Sony has a terrible history with Data breaches, and this is nothing but a grab to pad their "active" player count numbers.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Concur, my Steam library is bigly big. It works, and overall it's only gotten better over the years.
View All Quotes
I know.

Turns out when you democratize making video games a lot of people who aren't really competent at it start making crummy games.

Who knu?

#endgamingdemocracy

#vivagamingrepublic

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL I refunded the game after the devs started insulting the players for being pissed that it was basically unplayable for a week or more after release. A shame because it was a pretty good game although the 4 players at a time was a big limitation to the fun factor for me
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Not hating, but not gonna lie - I'm glad I never got into the video games thing.

But rock on and pursue your happiness.
View Quote

RPGs are the best but you need to grind them out
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:27:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#15]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Not hating, but not gonna lie - I'm glad I never got into the video games thing.

But rock on and pursue your happiness.

Nah.

They're games.

Best is whatever you call fun that fits your usage and doesn't take over your life.

Tetris is best for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Pff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ2w3ciSVEQ
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Originally Posted By Kolat:
I've hated Sony since back when call of duty was full of hackers that they did nothing about.

Remember when they released a new game and the only calling cards available were various pride flags?

I am waiting for Skyrim 6

Do u get to the cloud district very often

Pff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ2w3ciSVEQ

I’d bet money that TES VI is released before Skywind or Skyblivion are finished.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#17]
PICK UP THAT CAN
View All Quotes

It takes a throwaway email account to sign up for PSN. I've had an account for a long time. This isn't worth quitting a game I love to play over.
PICK UP THAT CAN
Until that "throwaway" account is flagged for being a "disposable" address. Until you have to give them your phone number and first born child, and respond to a text every time you want to log in or make a change to that or any of the other five fucking accounts you need to play a single game. I hate modern gaming. I don't want Steam. I don't want a Ubisoft or Bungee account. I don't want Discord just to have voip. I don't want three or four asshole companies sharing my data with more asshole companies and making me jump through hoops when all I want is to log on after work an get a few quick hours in with my buddies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#18]
You're not doing very good at the gotcha game.

The words I posted said it was because of the natural progression.  You'll have to say they don't for your point to be correct.

Why mention valve? Because they were one of the bigger streams that came before the river and fed into it, even though they aren't the river (river = removing private servers and requiring players to use the developer's servers).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
Whats this about OP?

@Phillbilly

The company that makes helldivers is now forcing everyone to link to the playstation network to be able to play the game when that was not necessary when it initially came out. This includes people who don't have a playstation and aren't using the PSN and who bought and play the game on a PC only. There are some very wild stories about having to give sony your government ID and do biometric face scans and etc to register on their network, and sony/psn has had the living daylights hacked out of it for years now, leaking people's information everywhere.

This happened because the company that made the game had no idea how many people would want to play the game on release date and the demand to get on the servers to play outstripped what the servers could handle and the company that made the game had to do anything they could to meet the demand, and part of that included not making people also register for the playstation network to play the game, which apparently WAS a requirement they were going to force on everyone.

People are pretty sure this is something that sony is coercing all the game makers to do so sony can bluster and blow sunshine up investor's orifices with artificially inflated player count numbers.

The company that makes the game also shot itself in the foot via one of it's employees or contractors (a community manager, IIRC) making comments on twitter about why they did it, people called bunk on her initial reasoning for it, and she than said "it's so we can block and ban people more effectively."  Of course that led to her getting raked over the coals and she locked up her twitter account.

HD2@ reviews have turned negative VERY quickly and people are beyond ticked.

------------------------

This is why gamers need to re-learn that they should DEMAND private server software.

You CANNOT trust the game makers and networks. They DO NOT have your best interests in mind.

If you're setup on your own private server with your own voice comms and robust in game text chat the game company has a very hard time screwing with you.

The shift away from server tools and community servers was a turrible thing. Literally one of the worst things to come to multiplayer games and gamers. Rarely do I meet new gamer friends, the group of people I play with now are the same ones I gamed with 10-15+ years ago when community servers were the thing.

It was the natural progression after everyone bought into that idiotic idea called "steam."

If they can control your access to the game that tightly regarding buying and playing, why not be a rapacious control freak about everythine else you can - after all, you can sell your player's information (and access to them for ads and such) for money.

People love big brother. Try and say anything bad about steam and the kids who don't know a before will freak out on you due to their ignorance.

Blaming Valve for a lack of private servers offered in games?

So if it's the natural progression, why even mention the ""idiotic idea called "steam."" ?

The words I posted said it was because of the natural progression.  You'll have to say they don't for your point to be correct.

Why mention valve? Because they were one of the bigger streams that came before the river and fed into it, even though they aren't the river (river = removing private servers and requiring players to use the developer's servers).

I'm not trying to play gotcha, I'm trying to understand what you said.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#19]

I think some of the devs are hoping for leverage to repair their busted image from the last week.

It was stated that joining to the PSN account was a requirement before purchase and during the loading screen when playing before this became a problem.
View All Quotes

"There are some very wild stories about having to give sony your government ID and do biometric face scans and etc to register on their network, and sony/psn has had the living daylights hacked out of it for years now, leaking people's information everywhere."

That's due to a UK/Ireland law, has nothing to do with Sony or AH

"The company that makes helldivers is now forcing everyone to link to the playstation network to be able to play the game when that was not necessary when it initially came out."

Sony is now enforcing the requirement. This has always been a requirement with both Sony and Microsoft online games for over decade.

The CEO and AH knew this was a requirement and was going to be enforced, months prior to release.

I know. AH did and absolutely horrid job of making sure players knew that after that requirement was temp waived.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
I'm surprised no one remembered the time Sony installed a rootkit on people's computers from an audio CD as an anti piracy measure.

Must be the wind.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#21]

I know. AH did and absolutely horrid job of making sure players knew that after that requirement was temp waived.

View Quote

No disagreement here.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
even if they did, it would just be for this game, and maybe even just temporarily.
They'll go right back to this playbook next time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Whats this about OP?

@Phillbilly

The company that makes helldivers is now forcing everyone to link to the playstation network to be able to play the game when that was not necessary when it initially came out. This includes people who don't have a playstation and aren't using the PSN and who bought and play the game on a PC only. There are some very wild stories about having to give sony your government ID and do biometric face scans and etc to register on their network, and sony/psn has had the living daylights hacked out of it for years now, leaking people's information everywhere.

This happened because the company that made the game had no idea how many people would want to play the game on release date and the demand to get on the servers to play outstripped what the servers could handle and the company that made the game had to do anything they could to meet the demand, and part of that included not making people also register for the playstation network to play the game, which apparently WAS a requirement they were going to force on everyone.

People are pretty sure this is something that sony is coercing all the game makers to do so sony can bluster and blow sunshine up investor's orifices with artificially inflated player count numbers.

The company that makes the game also shot itself in the foot via one of it's employees or contractors (a community manager, IIRC) making comments on twitter about why they did it, people called bunk on her initial reasoning for it, and she than said "it's so we can block and ban people more effectively."  Of course that led to her getting raked over the coals and she locked up her twitter account.

------------------------

This is why gamers need to re-learn that they should DEMAND private server software.

You CANNOT trust the game makers and networks. They DO NOT have your best interests in mind.

If you're setup on your own private server with your own voice comms and robust in game text chat the game company has a very hard time screwing with you.

The shift away from server tools and community servers was a turrible thing. Literally one of the worst things to come to multiplayer games and gamers. Rarely do I meet new gamer friends, the group of people I play with now are the same ones I gamed with 10-15+ years ago when community servers were the thing.

It was the natural progression after everyone bought into that idiotic idea called "steam."

If they can control your access to the game that tightly regarding buying and playing, why not be a rapacious control freak about everythine else you can - after all, you can sell your player's information (and access to them for ads and such) for money.

People love big brother. Try and say anything bad about steam and the kids who don't know a before will freak out on you due to their ignorance.

So if it's the natural progression, why even mention the ""idiotic idea called "steam."" ?

ok.

I mentioned it (again) because it was one of the main feeder streams. People saw what steam had done and realized they could expand on that and be control-freaks for profit in other realms.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AZshooter71:
https://i.postimg.cc/Y2Nmmhv6/IMG-4306.jpg
Dead Helldiver
View Quote

Son of a bitch, 2nd class.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
ok.

I mentioned it (again) because it was one of the main feeder streams. People saw what steam had done and realized they could expand on that and be control-freaks for profit in other realms.
View All Quotes
Whats this about OP?

@Phillbilly

------------------------

ok.

Please explain in detail, how a digital market place, lead to Dice removing Private Servers in Battlefield.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jonny762:
Until that "throwaway" account is flagged for being a "disposable" address. Until you have to give them your phone number and first born child, and respond to a text every time you want to log in or make a change to that or any of the other five fucking accounts you need to play a single game. I hate modern gaming. I don't want Steam. I don't want a Ubisoft or Bungee account. I don't want Discord just to have voip. I don't want three or four asshole companies sharing my data with more asshole companies and making me jump through hoops when all I want is to log on after work an get a few quick hours in with my buddies.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jonny762:
PICK UP THAT CAN

@jonny762
@2JokersWild

https://gameindustry.eu/en/

That site tells you the IP addresses to block and the web addresses to nerf with your hosts file in order to emasculate the data collection and abuse.

You can turn off as much of the stuff as possible and still use the crummy clients with the info they give you at that site.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Please explain in detail, how a digital market place, lead to Dice removing Private Servers in Battlefield.
View All Quotes
Whats this about OP?

@Phillbilly

------------------------

ok.

You say you aren't playing gotcha when you're acting like you are, and we do have a history that I haven't forgotten. I apoligized for that stuff I did to you years ago because it was wrong and I shouldn't have done it. I gave you a good answer and now you're trying to paint me into a corner instead of just addressing what I said.

If you want to make more profit and have more control of your stuff because you are a control freak and you see someone else doing exactly that in a way you didn't think of before, it causes you to think about how you can do the same sort of thing, and than expand it.

That's the point.

If you're not satisfied with that, it's your problem.

If you think I'm wrong and it bothers you enough to go check, than go check, and than please, come back and produce the reciepts so I can learn where I was wrong or not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLUSIKtlZw
View Quote

Can't a man have a bit of BUTT PIRACY?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Im surprised to see this show up here. It’s pretty shitty for the people in other countries that cant get a PSN account. Really sucks to see this happening, first multiplayer game ive enjoyed in a long time. Also the first time ive had good experiences with Chinese players online
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#30]
You say you aren't playing gotcha when you're acting like you are, and we do have a history that I haven't forgotten. I apoligized for that stuff I did to you years ago because it was wrong and I shouldn't have done it. I gave you a good answer and now you're trying to paint me into a corner instead of just addressing what I said.

If you want to make more profit and have more control of your stuff because you are a control freak and you see someone else doing exactly that in a way you didn't think of before, it causes you to think about how you can do the same sort of thing, and than expand it.

That's the point.

If you think I'm wrong and it bothers you enough to go check, than go check, and than please, come back and produce the reciepts so I can learn where I was wrong or not.
View All Quotes
Whats this about OP?

@Phillbilly

------------------------

ok.

That's the point.

I'm just not drawing the connection, that's all.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#31]

I'm just not drawing the connection, that's all.

View Quote

FFS you two, just kiss already.

And Valve distributing games has nothing to do with private servers.  I'm playing the shit out of Enshrouded right now, on a private persistent server I'm running on a VM. The devs specifically released a separate binary package for it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Helldivers 2 CEO Speaks Out..

Asmongold's clip channel posted this a short while ago.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#33]
This type of shit is one of many reasons I shifted from PlayStation to Xbox.  Microsoft is still bad, but not this bad.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Sorry dude, I must have skipped a couple posts before I replied
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember when steam first came out.... I mean back when it was optional to use it. Man, it was BAD in the beginning
View Quote

I member too

I was out of gaming for several years after 2004 or so and got back to it in like 2008 and was FLOORED to find Steam was the reining king of gaming. All I remembered was how absolutely God awful that shit was back in the day.

You remember Microsoft Zone?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
This type of shit is one of many reasons I shifted from PlayStation to Xbox.  Microsoft is still bad, but not this bad.
View Quote

The entire industry is why I don't game anymore. Fuck em all and it's sad how many people are willing to throw money at these companies for shit broken products.

I have two teenage sons and they never really grew up in gaming without DLC's and IAP's. Doesn't matter how many times I tell them they are wasting their money they still throw money at these broken games.

I started with the original Nintendo and it's pathetic how low quality gaming is now compared to what it could be and used to be.

Now it's expected games to be broken on launch and servers to be overwhelmed aka 'we don't care about the customer'. They know they can provide 60-80% of the actual server capacity the game needs and people will keep flocking back.

The days of gamer gate and people sticking up for how gaming should be are past us as all these kids who grew up with this BS have aged and don't know any different.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Community Manager admits it's so they can ban people more easily

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMsmhT1a4AAz-ON?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Yep and she privated her Twitter after the fallout from that.

A community manager that is hiding from the community.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Yep and she privated her Twitter after the fallout from that.

A community manager that is hiding from the community.
View Quote

Well,

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Perhaps, but Steam is shutting service down in countries where PSN isn’t available.

The proverbial damage is done.

It’s too bad. Helldivers 2 was likely going to score GotY.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Still a good game

Stop crying
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CoolioDot223:
Still a good game

Stop crying
View Quote

It is a good game, but consumers biting back however they can (with refunds or social media protests) is a major plus.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#43]

I member too

I was out of gaming for several years after 2004 or so and got back to it in like 2008 and was FLOORED to find Steam was the reining king of gaming. All I remembered was how absolutely God awful that shit was back in the day.

You remember Microsoft Zone?
View Quote
I do not remember MSFT Zone actually. I didnt play many Microsoft games.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Women need to get out of gaming.

I said it
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:10:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ayada] [#45]

View Quote

Not really sure that really holds much truth other than "throw something at the wall and hope it sticks". Given that she's pretty much fucked off of twitter, I'm guessing it didn't stick much. It sounds like a plausible excuse, until you remember they've been able to handle PC bans without PSN accounts.

If we go off of what their CEO is now claiming, it sounds like it's something they didn't want to do but knew that Sony was going to enforce for the launch. They got 'lucky' and managed to tell Sony to fuck off for some time because it was actively part of why the launch was failing. The conspiracy part I subscribe to is that they were then hoping Sony would forget, which is arguably bad planning because why would Sony?. All it took was Sony slamming their toes into the edge of one table (Stellar Blade) for them to look for any small win and upping their metrics by forcing a popular game to use their accounts was that small win.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

Not really sure that really holds much truth other than "throw something at the wall and hope it sticks". Given that she's pretty much fucked off of twitter, I'm guessing it didn't stick much. It sounds like a plausible excuse, until you remember they've been able to handle PC bans without PSN accounts.

If we go off of what their CEO is now claiming, it sounds like it's something they didn't want to do but knew that Sony was going to enforce for the launch. They got 'lucky' and managed to tell Sony to fuck off for some time because it was actively part of why the launch was failing. The conspiracy part I subscribe to is that they were then hoping Sony would forget, which is arguably bad planning because why would Sony?. All it took was Sony slamming their toes into the edge of one table (Stellar Blade) for them to look for any small win and upping their metrics by forcing a popular game to use their accounts was that small win.
View Quote

I think that's where I land on the issue, too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn I was just telling my daughter we should play this
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Solace22:
Damn I was just telling my daughter we should play this
View Quote

It looks like a great game, but now is probably not the time. I'm holding out till all this stuff shakes out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#49]
This might be the end for my time in that game.  Ultra repetitive game.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Women need to get out of gaming.

I said it
View All Quotes