Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
And sort of, neither did the people in the article from the OP.

By that, I mean that the vast, vast majority of people who "vacation" in Mexico stay in a five star mega resorts on beach front property.  Or at least in well known and safe areas that are uber tourist and cookie cutter experiences.

They spend their days lounging pool side while regge music pumps through speakers hidden in perfectly groomed palm bushes.  They get served frozen blended drinks by local workers who are sweating through their white polo shirts and khaki shorts.  They spend their nights eating steak while the ocean laps quietly 100 foot away, at a beach front on resort restaurant.  Then they are going to go back to their 5 star air conditioned room with the king sized bed and fuck their wife.

At most, their adventures might be a paid excursion through a known vendor for a snorkle trip or a local culture tour bus.  

The article says these guys went to some remote beach in a truck they rented and decided to go surfing.  That sounds awesome....but it is also not "vacationing", as the vast majority go to Mexico and do.  

I would absolutely recommend one and not the other.  They are COMPLETELY different types of vacations and risks, but the news article isn't going to make that distinction and neither are threads like this one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

I don't vacation in Chicago either.

By that, I mean that the vast, vast majority of people who "vacation" in Mexico stay in a five star mega resorts on beach front property.  Or at least in well known and safe areas that are uber tourist and cookie cutter experiences.

They spend their days lounging pool side while regge music pumps through speakers hidden in perfectly groomed palm bushes.  They get served frozen blended drinks by local workers who are sweating through their white polo shirts and khaki shorts.  They spend their nights eating steak while the ocean laps quietly 100 foot away, at a beach front on resort restaurant.  Then they are going to go back to their 5 star air conditioned room with the king sized bed and fuck their wife.

At most, their adventures might be a paid excursion through a known vendor for a snorkle trip or a local culture tour bus.  

The article says these guys went to some remote beach in a truck they rented and decided to go surfing.  That sounds awesome....but it is also not "vacationing", as the vast majority go to Mexico and do.  

I would absolutely recommend one and not the other.  They are COMPLETELY different types of vacations and risks, but the news article isn't going to make that distinction and neither are threads like this one.

You have come a long way since "Everybody could get jacked anywhere don't be skeered."
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Vacation in Mexico or vacation with a Bear?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Was there three weeks ago. Cancun. A couple of our Uber drivers would not go and pick us up at the Taxi stands.  We would have to walk out to the main road to get in their cars. My wife is bilingual, and asked them about it.  Two of our Uber driver said they had to be careful and not use the taxi stand or the cartel would Possibly punish them.   In Cancun, the gang are very involved with taxis and Uber.  

After we got home from vacation, I learned that four or five taxi drivers were just cutting into pieces and Cancun several months ago.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:02:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flogger23m] [#4]
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:

Chicago and other high crime cities, like Mexico, is a no go for me.  Avoid them at all cost.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:
Because people in Chicago have never been killed over a pair of shoes.  Nope, that never happens here in the US.

Chicago and other high crime cities, like Mexico, is a no go for me.  Avoid them at all cost.

Chicago overall is middle of the road for a US city.

New Orleans however has the 8th highest homicide rate of any city in the world. Baltimore comes in at 17.

Milwaukee and Philadelphia also out murder Chicago, and number 39 and 46 respectively.

Which is interesting because Wisconsin itself is one of the safer states in the US. Milwaukee must be quite bad and it must be quite localized.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Er_Mah_Gerd:

Damn, really?
View Quote

Yeah the American, Carter. Real nice kid. Haven't talked to him in years but saw he was missing on Facebook.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather risk my life vacationing in my own country thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dsmaccullen:
I will be in Cancun in a month! Can’t wait
View Quote

Me too! be safe
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A few years ago, if you went through Mexico in an off-road vehicle or adventure bike, you would be fine as long as you were smart, kept to yourself, and avoided trouble areas. It seems things have shifted a bit.  If I was ever going to make a trip like that, I would want to be in the shittiest looking beater.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dsmaccullen:
I will be in Cancun in a month! Can't wait
View Quote
We'll be at our favorite place about 30 minutes south of the airport arriving June 25 for 14 glorious nights. We feel totally safe there and on excursions.  The only risk is night swimming in the pools since these only come out at night. Mostly. Saltwater croc.  This one is a repeat visitor.  His name is Stanley.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By -Sabot42-:
Cabo in June.

CANT WAIT!
View Quote
Cabo is amazing.  It's a dry heat.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
went once.  dont care to ever go back.
View Quote
There are only a handful of resorts that tick all the boxes for us.  The rest?  Not worth the trip.  Our first trip to Mexico was to a beautiful property but the place sucked - timeshare hell and bad food and drink.  We decided to never go back to Mexico until a buddy turned us on to the place we go now.  Absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Going to Lake Chapala soon. No worries.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I moved from Mexico 4 years ago after living there 10 years. Overall, it's much safer than the US.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Exactly...

Doesn't matter if it's Mexico, Jamaica, etc. Go off the plantation (the hotel/tourist areas) at your own risk...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

Also don't vacation in Chicago. Great point.
I for one never will again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
Because people in Chicago have never been killed over a pair of shoes.  Nope, that never happens here in the US.

Also don't vacation in Chicago. Great point.
I for one never will again.

One of my sisters and niece, like not too long a go...a few years, were like 'Oh, this weekend we're going to Chicago!!!' and I was like, "Why?"

They somehow made it back unscathed.

Other relatives of mine been to Mexico a few times...not me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
Vacation in Mexico or vacation with a Bear?
View Quote

Bear
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I go all the time.
Truck and motorcycle.
Tacate to San Felipe is a geat weekend ride.
I just picked up a new Husqvarna and I just ordered a larger fuel tank for it.
I'm quite sure a large percentage of people who have issues in Mexico are looking for trouble( strip clubs/whore houses) or are too stupid to know what activities to avoid.
Loud and drunk is all to common.
If your lucky, you just get a beating.
I used to ride sweep for a couple of tour companies.
Never had any problems whatsoever.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Mexico is a 3rd world shit hole.

Always has been, always will be.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

This.
I don't have the numbers but ill take a bet that lots of tourists to America have ended up homicide victims.
That said...Mexico is a risk...like going to most large American cities ....do your homework
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#20]
TLDR...

...lol, FUCK no
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MATTINFAIRBORN] [#21]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
We go to Barcelo in Riviera Maya, the resort is at least a mile in length and you never have any need to leave it.
View Quote
If we were to take grandkids Barcelo would be high on our list.  

We have stayed at the resort we like the last couple of trips the entire time.  Lots of stuff to do and plenty of places to get away from stuff being done.  On earlier trips, we did excursions and had a great time.  It is nice to chill out in the pool and on the beach.  We aren't planning on any excursions this year but, as always, we may change our minds.  Hard to beat this.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Anyone with two or more brain cells, knows which parts of Chicago to avoid. Not so in Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Except Chicago is a city that is a shitshow

Mexico is a whole country that’s a shitshow
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DonS:

I've been searched for weapons by Mexican military, a good 30 miles inside Mexico.
View Quote
Good info to have before going, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By miseses:
Rules for Mexico

1) Never drive.  If you must ride, dual sport so you can ride around roadblocks.  Never stop for anyone but official checkpoints, which might rob you but won't kill you.   Use collectivos in town or contract buses for long distance.

2) Fake wallet with $20-40 inside.  ID inside the fake wallet is an expired driver license or expired passport card.  Real cash or whatever gets hidden somewhere, hopefully you won't get stripped butt naked.  Last time I was robbed they only checked my baggage and patted me down but they didn't check for false bottoms in shoes etc.  They only found $100 which was enough to satisfy them and move on.

3) The federal police at the border are vigilant and you should not carry weapons through the border.  However once inside Mexico absolutely any defensive items can be purchased easily and readily.  IF someone is going to take your life, make them work for it.
View Quote

Good suggestions, you forgot rule #4 keep your ass out of shit hole 3rd world countries like Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FannyPackZach:
One was my friend from high school. Sad shit.
View Quote
Wow, sorry man.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#27]
My client has 2 houses in the Rocky Point area right on the beach. They've invited the wife and I to go with them  several times, and from what I understand, the areas they have houses are mostly owned by Americans, but the locals are beyond friendly and stop what they're doing to help a gringo. The only reason I haven't gone is I no longer have a passport, however, I am considering getting my passport again so I can go and do some chilling and fishing.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Anyone with two or more brain cells, knows which parts of Chicago to avoid. Not so in Mexico.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Lack of application of brain cells of different from lack of possession.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

You're making me want to go back

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#30]
They're targeting the tourist places now, so nowhere there is safe
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Spent my entire life chasing swells and surfing my brains out in distant lands on a shoestring budget, largely by myself. There's a reason I haven't been to Mex. It's the same reason why I probably won't ever go.

Terrible developments. I hope the families and friends can find some semblance of peace.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh.  Went last year.  It was safe and fun.  There were areas we went I wouldn’t go at night.  In fact we always stayed at the resort at night.  Good food, affordable prices, and a good safe time.  Don’t do stupid shit and you’re good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#33]

I've been searched for weapons by Mexican military, a good 30 miles inside Mexico.
View All Quotes
3) The federal police at the border are vigilant and you should not carry weapons through the border.  However once inside Mexico absolutely any defensive items can be purchased easily and readily.  IF someone is going to take your life, make them work for it.

Does "weapon" include folding pocketknives? I'm flying to Mexico tomorrow and that would be good to know if I can't bring one with me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#34]
From the article:

"But in a way, adventure was key to the victims’ lifestyle.

Callum Robinson’s Instagram account contained the following slogan: “If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much room.”

Guess they got what they bargained for.

That being said, sure would like a lot of the loud ass-dragging trucks around here to vacation in Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#35]
SHITHOLE

Bodies of three missing surfers found, Baja California authorities say
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#36]
No different than vacationing in Chicago or Baltimore
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Meh.  Went last year.  It was safe and fun.  There were areas we went I wouldn’t go at night.  In fact we always stayed at the resort at night.  Good food, affordable prices, and a good safe time.  Don’t do stupid shit and you’re good.
View Quote

I'm curious as to how you know it's safe and what measure you are using for that?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
We'll be at our favorite place about 30 minutes south of the airport arriving June 25 for 14 glorious nights. We feel totally safe there and on excursions.  The only risk is night swimming in the pools since these only come out at night. Mostly. Saltwater croc.  This one is a repeat visitor.  His name is Stanley.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/433259045_10100638031067619_392531238482-3207384.JPG
View Quote

And watch out for Kevin over at the golden pool during the day...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#39]
I think the big difference between the U.S. and Mexico is the safety in rural areas. My buddy's family is in Guerrero and the last time he visited an entire trailer park was burned out with over dozen missing and then people just went on with their lives. Had an entire trailer park had that happen here it would be on the news non-stop.
Not to mention, instead of comparing a city's homicide rate to Mexico, let compare the overall homicide rate per 100,000 people in the U.S. to the overall homicide rate in Mexico. Let's also not play that lame "well in drug violence there" crap. A homicide is a homicide no matter who got killed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Flushdraw:
I moved from Mexico 4 years ago after living there 10 years. Overall, it's much safer than the US.

View Quote

By any metric one could use that is patently false and ludicrous to say.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:43:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
No different than vacationing in Chicago or Baltimore
View Quote

That’s just stupid. Both of those cites are vastly safer than Mexico and as an American it is incredibly easier to know areas that are generally safe in those cites vs locales in Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:57:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Meh.  I've driven my truck down to Mexico a few times, which certainly stands out, and never had problems.  Ventured into very untouristy "not a single person you will encounter speaks English" areas, never had any problems.

In fact, it was chill as fuck and plan on retiring down there when the time comes
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:03:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Your1Savior] [#43]
Originally Posted By azjogol:
My client has 2 houses in the Rocky Point area right on the beach. They've invited the wife and I to go with them  several times, and from what I understand, the areas they have houses are mostly owned by Americans, but the locals are beyond friendly and stop what they're doing to help a gringo. The only reason I haven't gone is I no longer have a passport, however, I am considering getting my passport again so I can go and do some chilling and fishing.

View Quote

@azjogol

You don't need a passport for Rocky Point, or anywhere in Mexico within 200 miles of the border.

Just bring your state issued driver's license.  Birth certificate if you want to go overboard.  It's not a big deal at all.

If you're staying in American neighborhoods down there, it's probably Las Conchas which is very very safe and low key.

Eta:  your expired passport also works at the border
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:04:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Does "weapon" include folding pocketknives? I'm flying to Mexico tomorrow and that would be good to know if I can't bring one with me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

Don't know about flying, but crossing land border with folders is no issue
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:29:44 AM EDT
[#45]
My family rented a Winnebago in the 70s and drove the west coast to la paz and along the sea of Cortez on the way back.  Later in the 80s and 90s I'd go on surf trips, skate the park in TJ, go see punk shows at Iguanas which was an interesting club to say the least.  Got shook down by cops, windows broken, etc. Which was the usual for back then.  Past 10-15 years it seems the cartels and violence got a lot more intense and indiscriminate.  Tons of surfers had stories of rapes, murders, cars and homes burnt to the ground.  It's always been a bit lawless and crazy, anyone saying different is clueless or a liar.  Resorts seem to be ok for now, cartels probably run them too.

Juice ain't worth the squeeze IMO.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:39:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:
Baja below Rosarito has been somewhat sketchy for a while. Around 2010ish (hard to remember so long ago), most people started choosing other places to go, at least in the SD surf crowd. Before, $20 bucks to a Federali to fix a broken taillight, or whatever was about the worst that happened. Next came robberies at gun point. Then rape at gunpoint. Then people started dying.

Too bad, great uncrowded surf, but those guys knew what they were getting into, especially if they went down there with a shiny truck like it looks like they might have.

There was an account on Instagram "Demoler" that gave great updates on Mexico's cartel violence, but it's been quiet for a while. Most months there are around 2,000 confirmed deaths, and quite a few missing people.
View Quote

I haven’t surfed in Baja since about ‘95-96 for all the reasons listed above.
70’s through late 80’s I drove all over surfing remote spots with a few friends.
Things started getting sketchier in the early 90’s, so I quit going.
Sad, because there’s a lot of great, uncrowded surf there and a lot of nice folks in the small fishing villages where we’d camp.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:43:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6gunfighter2] [#47]
Mexico has ALWAYS been a very dangerous place.

What, apparently some folks think this is "new”?

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:07:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By G3k:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G3k:
Originally Posted By Flushdraw:

You are absolutely right.

In 2022 the U.S. had 6.2 homicides per 100,000 people.

In 2022 Mexico had 25.5 homicides per 100,000 people if the U.N.'s statistics are to be believed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pj1016:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pj1016:
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/433259045_10100638031067619_392531238482-3207384.JPG

Do not get in Kevin's way if he decides he wants your shrimp sandwich.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Top Top