Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
There are too many safe countries to visit to choose to go into the cartel areas, (most of) of Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:31:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MATTINFAIRBORN] [#2]
Statistically, it is safer for American tourists in Mexico than Americans in general in the US.  And how many of the homicides of Americans were people screwing around with drugs?  IDK.

Stay out of sketchy places in both Mexico and here and you'll be safe.  There are certainly a lot more sketchy places in Mexico.  I wouldn't be trying to buy crack in West Dayton after midnight anymore than in a dark alley in Mexico.  For example, the shuttle people that run the trip from the resort we like to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen advise to stay on the 5-mile long pedestrian walkway 5th Avenue and the blocks between 5th and the beach, especially at night.  The danger mostly is robbery.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to follow that advice.  

"While it's true Mexico has a significantly higher homicide rate (28 per 100,000 people) than the United States (7 per 100,000 people), data suggests violence against American citizens remains rare.

In 2021, 75 U.S. citizens died by homicide in Mexico, according to the State Department. That represents a small fraction of the more than 28.8 million Americans who went to the country over the same time period. Using those figures, the murder rate of U.S. citizens in Mexico was around 0.26 per 100,000 visitors, significantly lower than the rate in the United States."

https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/how-common-is-violence-against-americans-in-mexico/

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Because people in Chicago have never been killed over a pair of shoes.  Nope, that never happens here in the US.
View Quote

Last Action Hero - Take His Shoes
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FannyPackZach:
One was my friend from high school. Sad shit.
View Quote

Sorry to hear man.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hatidua:
11 people were killed in Chicago last week alone and I bet most of them looked identical to the people doing the killing.

I'll take my chances in Mexico as a gringo.
View Quote

Chicago is almost all gang on gang, unless you seek it out you are much more likely to be a target in Baja as an unknowing gringo.  I take it you've never been to Tijuana
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 4thUSMC:

Chicago and other high crime cities, like Mexico, is a no go for me.  Avoid them at all cost.
View Quote

I was in Chicago, twice, yesterday.  Did not die.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Panta_Rei:

Chicago is almost all gang on gang, unless you seek it out you are much more likely to be a target in Baja as an unknowing gringo.  I take it you've never been to Tijuana
View Quote

Yup.

Been to both, camped south of Ensenada in the 80s.

Chicago is relatively safe outside of the rough parts.  Mehico....good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By macaho45:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macaho45:

Chicago and other high crime cities, like Mexico, is a no go for me.  Avoid them at all cost.

That's just what you want us to think.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:19:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#9]
I live in small town IN and always have.  In highschool a classmate got beat pretty bad because another classmate wanted his "starter jacket" back in the day when those were thing.  Spent a few days in the hospital sort of beating.  Over a jacket.  

The idea of avoiding a place because someone got killed.....  I am sure there have been plenty of murders in your town.  I am equally sure plenty of people have been murdered in my small town over the years, over stupid shit. I am sure of this because humans kill humans in every place on the planet.

View All Quotes

I live in small town IN and always have.  In highschool a classmate got beat pretty bad because another classmate wanted his "starter jacket" back in the day when those were thing.  Spent a few days in the hospital sort of beating.  Over a jacket.  

The idea of avoiding a place because someone got killed.....  I am sure there have been plenty of murders in your town.  I am equally sure plenty of people have been murdered in my small town over the years, over stupid shit. I am sure of this because humans kill humans in every place on the planet.

What a silly thing to say. You honestly think there are "plenty" of murders happening in small town America?
If you were walking in the woods, would you rather unexpectedly encounter a strange man, or a bear?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone who goes to Mexico on vacation or anywhere near Chicago are ignorant of basic risk management and just think it won't happen to them...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#11]
My SIL wants us to have a family reunion somewhere in Mexico. My wife is pissed because I won't do it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

Headed to Cabo in July.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:
Originally Posted By dsmaccullen:
I will be in Cancun in a month! Can't wait

Headed to Cabo in July.
Stay away from a restaurant called The Trailer Park.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:
People in the US and most western countries don't understand how cheap life is in the rest of the world.  Also hope nobody was drinking out of that well.
View Quote

Seems like some Mexicans didn't learn that lesson from the Mayans.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
My SIL wants us to have a family reunion somewhere in Mexico. My wife is pissed because I won't do it.
View Quote

You don't even seem to know where in Mexico, but have already decided you won't do it. And, I'll bet you throw out your shoulder patting yourself on the back over how logical you are as opposed to driven by emotion.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BoogieCookie:
I just spent 10 days in Cozumel, I didn't die.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Coz has their shit together most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Mexico is what truly not giving a fuck looks like on a national level.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I go to Mexico fairly often and never felt like we were in any sort of danger. We stick to the Gulf of Mexico side though, not the Pacific side.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Only The Poors goto MX...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I was in Mexico (Tulum) a few months ago and we're not planning to return. It wasn't that I felt unsafe, but the big reason so many people went to Mexico is because it's "cheap". Well, it's sure not cheap anymore. I'm not gonna pay that kind of money to go to some place like Mexico.....I'd much rather pay the same amount and go to Belize or Costa Rica.

We had to take a taxi from our resort to the town of Tulum and it was $45 USD each way....to go 1.2 miles!!!! Yeah, not going back.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I staged this photo to show the extreme danger of deadly injury in Valladolid that COULD have happened.  2012 but I'm still shaking.  We almost gave up on going back to Mexico.  Intense therapy sessions and looser panties got me mostly through the trauma.  Mostly.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Callum Robinson's Instagram account contained the following slogan: "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:
View Quote

Really nice all-inclusive resorts in Cancun/Riviera Maya run $400 to $500 a night except for peak dates.  Ones with a pretense of luxury, exclusiveness, and a twig of parsley on your entree plate can run quite a bit more.  Add in airfare, tips, and airport transfers for just the resort part and it isn't for the poors.  By my definition of poor anyway.  Prices are not too hateful but in my personal poverty-stricken dotage, we only go once a year for two weeks and book the next year's trip during their Black Friday sale.

I've heard some all-inclusives run around $200 a night but not places that we'd like.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:03:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MADMAXXX] [#23]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:

Really nice all-inclusive resorts in Cancun/Riviera Maya run $400 to $500 a night except for peak dates.  Ones with a pretense of luxury, exclusiveness, and a twig of parsley on your entree plate can run quite a bit more.  Add in airfare, tips, and airport transfers for just the resort part and it isn't for the poors.  By my definition of poor anyway.  Prices are not too hateful but in my personal poverty-stricken dotage, we only go once a year for two weeks and book the next year's trip during their Black Friday sale.

I've heard some all-inclusives run around $200 a night but not places that we'd like.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:

I laugh at Mexican resort prices.
For the price of one night you can stay here for one month.
Also there is almost no crime.
You can literally leave your cell phone or laptop at the bar and go swim and it will be waiting when you return.
Rent $120 Month Move Here? Hua Hin Beach Condos Tour 2023 Hua Hin Thailand

Or beachfront on an island.

Koh Phangan $200 Month Home + $16 Hotel + Full Moon Beach Tour

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#24]
When I lived in San Diego I was invited to come down to Baja to surf many times... But I declined as the dudes were pretty sketchy and not very wholesome. My wife also wouldn't have approved.

My wife and I did go down to Rosarito a few times and into TJ drinking with a group of friends too. We almost got robbed crossing back into the US late at night. A thick glass mexican coke bottle saved our asses. I was ready to bludgeon the two thugs to death if need be. My blood was flammable, at least 100 proof, plus I'm Irish with a little Cherokee and have a history of standing my ground. So glad I didn't have to resort to violence that night.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Do not get in Kevin's way if he decides he wants your shrimp sandwich.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/download__3__jpg-3207755.JPG

View Quote

I hear the shrimp sandwich is best ordered with extra shrimp?

Looking forward to having a drink with you next month...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Did they eat their eyeballs?

Or is that just what happens in Vegas?  Not sure which story the truth will be, but the robbery one and they fought the robbers seems like the most common one right now. Fought back and all 3 were shot.

I leave next week to MX for another trip. My only concern is the car rental.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I’ll ask the obvious question: what kind of tires are we talking about here?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Also, suppose you were hiking in the Sierra Madre, would you rather encounter a Mexican dude or a grizzly bear?

(This is a trick question. IIRC, the last confirmed grizzly killed in Mexico was in the Sierra Del Nido in 1959, and there have been no credible reports for decades.)

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#29]
On my way to the airport to fly Mexico right now. Been a while. We're getting picked up by my aunt's chauffeur, so no messing with cabs, Uber, or the bus. Decided it would be best to leave the Omega watch at home, though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Hard pass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

I doubt OP would advocate going anywhere near that shit hole, either.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
Because people in Chicago have never been killed over a pair of shoes.  Nope, that never happens here in the US.

I doubt OP would advocate going anywhere near that shit hole, either.

Meh, I'm going to go see U-505 eventually.

Pretty sure you can do that without going into the areas where violence is common. Kinda like the tourist areas in Mexico, where the criminals, cartels, and federals all know violence will not be tolerated.

Once you go out of those areas, you better follow different rules.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
On my way to the airport to fly Mexico right now. Been a while. We're getting picked up by my aunt's chauffeur, so no messing with cabs, Uber, or the bus. Decided it would be best to leave the Omega watch at home, though.
View Quote

I usually take one of my Invictas because they look expensive, keep perfect time, and I can easily hand them over if robbed. Honestly though, I do that whether I'm traveling abroad or within the US, unless I'm carrying semi-auto protection.

$32 during Amazon Days

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Also, suppose you were hiking in the Sierra Madre, would you rather encounter a Mexican dude or a grizzly bear?

(This is a trick question. IIRC, the last confirmed grizzly killed in Mexico was in the Sierra Del Nido in 1959, and there have been no credible reports for decades.)

View Quote

Black bears still exist though and are around. Just saw one in April.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Personally, I look at Mexico this way - there's nothing I can do there, that I can't do in some other, safer, place.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

You don't even seem to know where in Mexico, but have already decided you won't do it. And, I'll bet you throw out your shoulder patting yourself on the back over how logical you are as opposed to driven by emotion.
View All Quotes

I don't care where it is, I won't go to Mexico. I've been there enough times in the past to know I don't want to go again.

And save you snide comments. For some reason you seem to have a case of the ass with me and it's time to put you on ignore.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#37]
One of my best friends has family in Mexico, and they have all advised her to stay the fuck away.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MATTINFAIRBORN] [#38]
Originally Posted By pj1016:

I hear the shrimp sandwich is best ordered with extra shrimp?

Looking forward to having a drink with you next month...
View Quote
Yep - extra shrimp.  Don't cost nothin.

"A" drink?  "Manuel!  Set up another round!"

Make sure any snacks you take to the pool are buried in a beach bag that is folded over.

Not sure what these people were thinking.  With the iguanas, coatis, tropical birds, butterflies, and other critters hanging around the place is amazing - if you like critters.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
We go to Barcelo in Riviera Maya, the resort is at least a mile in length and you never have any need to leave it.
View Quote

Excellent resort.  Would stay again
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Statistically, it is safer for American tourists in Mexico than Americans in general in the US.  And how many of the homicides of Americans were people screwing around with drugs?  IDK.

Stay out of sketchy places in both Mexico and here and you'll be safe.  There are certainly a lot more sketchy places in Mexico.  I wouldn't be trying to buy crack in West Dayton after midnight anymore than in a dark alley in Mexico.  For example, the shuttle people that run the trip from the resort we like to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen advise to stay on the 5-mile long pedestrian walkway 5th Avenue and the blocks between 5th and the beach, especially at night.  The danger mostly is robbery.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to follow that advice.  

"While it's true Mexico has a significantly higher homicide rate (28 per 100,000 people) than the United States (7 per 100,000 people), data suggests violence against American citizens remains rare.

In 2021, 75 U.S. citizens died by homicide in Mexico, according to the State Department. That represents a small fraction of the more than 28.8 million Americans who went to the country over the same time period. Using those figures, the murder rate of U.S. citizens in Mexico was around 0.26 per 100,000 visitors, significantly lower than the rate in the United States."

https://www.newsnationnow.com/world/how-common-is-violence-against-americans-in-mexico/

View Quote
That's an absurdly ridiculous comparison of Cherry picked Mexican data against averaged US data.
Valid comparison requires similar sampling.

The US avg murder rate is skewed higher by the massively higher rates of black on black homicides. Those homicids are also happening in very localized geographic areas.

The comparison of murder rate of vacationers to citizens in their own countries is also absurd because vacationers are only on vacation for short duration measured in days, maybe weeks, rather than almost an entire year in the resident country. Also residents are often killed by family members so it's further invalid not to compare average murder in residence country to vacation homicide.

If you want to compare vacation homicides, you would have to compare homicide rates of vacationer in the countries being compared.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]

I don't care where it is, I won't go to Mexico. I've been there enough times in the past to know I don't want to go again.

And save you snide comments. For some reason you seem to have a case of the ass with me and it's time to put you on ignore.
View All Quotes

I see a pattern here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I live here in TJ.  As another poster mentioned, TJ during the daytime is WAY safer during the day than Detroit, Memphis, or Chicago.  At night, really the only thing I worry about is getting ripped off by the cops.  Now as far as these three guys, I suspect they rolled up and saw something they shouldn't have seen.  Killing three gringos brings an assload of heat.  So whatever they were killed for had to be worth the negative attention.  These guys weren't killed for there truck like was reported by MX officials.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By UV18:

Black bears still exist though and are around. Just saw one in April.
View Quote

That’s racist.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
That's an absurdly ridiculous comparison of Cherry picked Mexican data against averaged US data.

The US avg murder rate is skewed higher by the massively higher rates of black on black homicides. Those homicids are also happening in very localized geographic areas.

The comparison of murder rate of vacationers to citizens in their own countries is also absurd because vacationers are only on vacation for short duration measured in days, maybe weeks, rather than almost an entire year in the resident country. Also residents are often killed by family members so it's further invalid not to compare average murder in residence country to vacation homicide.

If you want to compare vacation homicides, you would have to compare homicide rates of vacationer in the countries being compared.

View All Quotes

Yes.  The only useful fact about American citizen safety in Mexico is "the murder rate of U.S. citizens in Mexico was around 0.26 per 100,000 visitors".  It would be interesting to see how many Americans were murdered in tourist zones.  I'm guessing it would be very rare.  Certainly not enough to deter going to resorts and tourist zones.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.  The only useful fact about American citizen safety in Mexico is "the murder rate of U.S. citizens in Mexico was around 0.26 per 100,000 visitors".  It would be interesting to see how many Americans were murdered in tourist zones.  I'm guessing it would be very rare.  Certainly not enough to deter going to resorts and tourist zones.
View All Quotes

Also, they may be comparing apples to oranges. They are comparing "US Citizens In Mexico" to "per 100,000 visitors."

How many people there with dual nationalities? How many with residency? Retirees/expats? How many US citizens going back and forth for "business", i.e. Ozark, not there for tourism? How many are there to FAFO?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#46]
To each his own, but spending $500 a day at a fancy hotel on a beach that I can't leave isn't really my idea of vacation because it removes the entire essence of vacation which for me involves travel, food, new experience, physical activities and conversations with people. People at work in hospitality industries can certainly be part of the people experience but I would feel unaccomplished if that was the sole source of people or if it were just party people.

Honestly, I think the surfers were on a real vacation. I think going to a resort is more like going to a shopping mall.

I find one of the best ways for me to enjoy a locality is by being with people from that locality. The explanations and the fact that I don't start out like a clueless, awkward kindergarten child with respect to local manners is helpful to me.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
To each his own, but spending $500 a day at a fancy hotel on a beach that I can't leave isn't really my idea of vacation because it removes the entire essence of vacation which for me involves travel, food, new experience, physical activities and conversations with people. People at work in hospitality industries can certainly be part of the people experience but I would feel unaccomplished if that was the sole source of people or if it were just party people.

Honestly, I think the surfers were on a real vacation. I think going to a resort is more like going to a shopping mall.

I find one of the best ways for me to enjoy a locality is by being with people from that locality. The explanations and the fact that I don't start out like a clueless, awkward kindergarten child with respect to local manners is helpful to me.

View Quote
100%
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:
I was in Mexico (Tulum) a few months ago and we're not planning to return. It wasn't that I felt unsafe, but the big reason so many people went to Mexico is because it's "cheap". Well, it's sure not cheap anymore. I'm not gonna pay that kind of money to go to some place like Mexico.....I'd much rather pay the same amount and go to Belize or Costa Rica.

We had to take a taxi from our resort to the town of Tulum and it was $45 USD each way....to go 1.2 miles!!!! Yeah, not going back.
View Quote

You went to the most touristy and expensive place in the Yucatan Peninsula. Tulum is now a shithole tourist trap ruined by the hipster Instagram crowd. Go to Puerto Morelos and stay at the Amar Inn right off the beach. Ignore the chickenshits that never leave moms basement. There is zero data to suggest American tourists are not safe in Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By DollopLobber:

You went to the most touristy and expensive place in the Yucatan Peninsula. Tulum is now a shithole tourist trap ruined by the hipster Instagram crowd. Go to Puerto Morelos and stay at the Amar Inn right off the beach. Ignore the chickenshits that never leave moms basement. There is zero data to suggest American tourists are not safe in Mexico.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DollopLobber:
Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:

I'll take note of Puerto Morelos.

You're right about Tulum, it is a shithole. I didn't find the city of Tulum or the resort we stayed in (Kore Tulum Retreat) to be nice at all. And I wasn't exaggerating about the taxi cost.

I just have a bad attitude about Mexico at the moment since our last trip struck a nerve.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:12:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#50]

View Quote

100%

You can go to the Jersey fucking shit hole shore if you want to sit on the beach in a chair, or go to a friends house if you want to sit by the pool.  To me, that's not a vacation.  From what I'm reading, these two guys weren't doing anything inherently less safe than their actual hobby of surfing, just wrong place wrong time.
Page / 5
Top Top