User Panel

Best running shoes ~$250 (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Action45:

I’ll check both, I have wide feet as well. I probably need to just take the time to visit a legit running shoe store. I think it will be worth the time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By luscioman:
I have wide feet which I didn't realize before. I use Brooks and Hookas for running. Avg is $150. Key is rotating shoes. Also at least for you first pair goto a running shoe store. That is how I found inhad wide feet.

I’ll check both, I have wide feet as well. I probably need to just take the time to visit a legit running shoe store. I think it will be worth the time

Currently using Hokas but Brooks has more readily available 4E widths. I think only one model in Hokas had extra wide. Of course if you are a 2E, then you will have better luck. I found the toe box in the Hokas to be wider and more comfortable overall. I usually run between 4-6 miles a day and they are holding up well. Brooks tended to wear out a bit faster than I've seen with my Hokas
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Altra

Learn to stop heel striking.  Zero drops help with that.  

The more cushion, the slower you'll run with heavier and less responsive shoes.  A lot of cushion also can lead to overpronation.  A good running shop will help you determine the correct amount of cushioning.  People buy huge cushioned shoes, then heel strike, when if they would strike on the midfoot they would need much less cushioning and run with less impact.  Higher turnover with shorter choppier strides is faster with less impact.

I'm not being critical of your running, but a lot of people run with poor form and blame the shoes for their problems and discomfort.

Finally, when you find shoes that work well for you, buy that second pair.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to a running specific store and get your GAIT analyzed.

I am a heel toe runner and the shoes that have more sole on the heels have helped me tremendously.

Everyone runs a bit differently and let the experts do their work at the store.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gator:

Oof indeed... I'm walking 5+ miles a day.  2 years?  Try two months then.  
View Quote
I double checked with google and 300-500 miles was the usual recommendation, so two months it is, or about $900 a year.

Walking is high-impact. Those that call it low-impact don't walk much.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:42:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#5]
Originally Posted By TangoFoxtrot:
I double checked with google and 300-500 miles was the usual recommendation, so two months it is, or about $900 a year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TangoFoxtrot:
Originally Posted By Gator:

Oof indeed... I'm walking 5+ miles a day.  2 years?  Try two months then.  

It’s also weight dependent.  But walking is definitely not high impact, you can easily double to triple the miles compared to running.  There is not only more obvious “impact” while running, but the slippage on the tread wear is considerably more.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
OP--sounds like you need to get fitted. I got fitted years ago. It's why (when I was still running...) I only wore Brooke Adrenaline series. They were awesome. I was only running 3-5 miles every other day, but I ran the bridges downtown, so a lot of inclines. They would last me 6ish months per pair.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I rotate Nike Pegasus series. New pair is used on our peloton tread plus for about 100 miles then I’ll run outside with them for 100 miles. New pair is purchased in conjunction with transitioning to outside.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've tried them all and love my Saucony Endorphin Speed Pro 4's
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jRob] [#9]
ASICS Superblast lover here. Then maybe Hoka Carbon X for races. Hoka Speedgoat 5 for mountain running.

Like others have mentioned, you have to switch them out after a while. Even if the tread still looks good. I do 400miles typically.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you’re me, it’s ASICS Noosa Tri. To bad they look like a rainbow shit all over them.

But you’re not me, so go get fitted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought the newest generation of Nimbus. Great shoe, very soft. I have high arches and struggle finding good shoes. Previous generation of Nimbus (22-24) sucked.

Also, if you are running until your soles run out, depending on your body weight, you are probably doing it wrong. I pitch them when I start getting hurt, which is usually 250 - 300 miles, but I weigh about 220.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the ALTRA  1.5
Really light. REALLLY Light.
Not much of a training shoe, as they don't last  very long, but they are DAMN FAST.
Your feet will grow if you start wearing ALTRA shoes, you'll gain at least half a size in six months, and your toes will spread out, a year into ALTRA and  you will  have to change ALL of your other footwear to the widest available foot bed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:00:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Thrasymachus:
The "best" pair of running shoes is going to be person specific, but for me it is the Brooks Ghost.  I have been wearing them for years, and they've been great.
View Quote

Agreed, but for me it's the Brooks Hyperion Elite.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Altra Olympus for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#15]
$25 Amazon brand.

Fix your body, don’t use shoes or other BS as a crutch.  Insoles can be helpful but they only shine when muscle groups start to fail and form slouches.

Maybe if you’re rocking ultra marathons $250 shoes may shine but my sub $30s have been handling vanilla marathons just fine.

I get a chuckle out of how much gear nerds run around with these days
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I usually wear Brooks Glycerin, but have been meaning to hit the local store and see what they have on the shelf. Try something different.

Run with us: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/2696516_2024-1-000-mile-running-challenge.html
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:14:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: txinvestigator] [#17]
Specific model recommendations are useless here unless we know your details.  What is your pronation? Do you heel, mid-foot or toe strike? High, low or medium arch? Type of running? Weekly miles?  

A running store will put you on a treadmill to determine some of that.  Once your gait is analyzed, you will try on different shoes that match.  

I heel strike, over-pronate, have a medium arch, run 15-20 miles per week, half treadmill, half concrete.  After trying the model of shoe in different brands that suit me,  the Brooks Adrenaline were my choice.

I have two pair, alternate them so I don't run back to back days in the same pair, and trade out at 300 miles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TurtlesAlltheWayDown:
$25 Amazon brand.

Fix your body, don't use shoes or other BS as a crutch.  Insoles can be helpful but they only shine when muscle groups start to fail and form slouches.

Maybe if you're rocking ultra marathons $250 shoes may shine but my sub $30s have been handling vanilla marathons just fine.

View Quote
This is why you don't take advice from from GD
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#19]
I need a new pair of running shoes. If you think $250 is insane just move along, this thread isn’t for you. I mostly jog on sidewalks and get foot pain occasionally from a prior break, so I don’t mind spending a little more. Past few pairs in the $125-150 range have been lackluster.
View Quote

I wear NoBullz trail runners, but I second the “go to a running store” comment.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#20]
$25 Amazon brand.

Fix your body, don’t use shoes or other BS as a crutch.  Insoles can be helpful but they only shine when muscle groups start to fail and form slouches.

Maybe if you’re rocking ultra marathons $250 shoes may shine but my sub $30s have been handling vanilla marathons just fine.

View Quote

4 1/2 hour marathoner rockin the timex watch?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

4 1/2 hour marathoner rockin the timex watch?
View Quote

Correct and correct.  Too much cardio makes muscle hard to keep on.  I have no beef with my times
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Have you tried ‘not running’?  Usually helps the need for specialty shoes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Hoka, altra, brooks...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I use vivo barefoot Primus lite 3.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Every foot is different, and everyone uses their feet in different ways when running. Go get fitted for a shoe. Me personally I’ve had most of the popular brands. 12 hour shifts on tile floors, and running 2-3 times a week. Hokas and onclouds were underwhelming after 2 pairs a piece. Brooks are what do be the best. I work in glycerin gts and adrenaline gts, and run in adrenaline and revels.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I use Mizuno Wave Creation
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#27]
You can find all sorts of running shoe reviews on youtube.  I usually default to Seth DeMoor because he reviews so many of them and often talks about small nuances that others have no idea about. He also warns when features change in new models, sometimes for the worse. It became apparent in comments that some people agree and many disagree when he points out a change that made a new model not work as well for him. In a couple of cases when I bought that shoe anyway it turned out to be a disaster because that new model does not work for me either in exactly the way he warned about. So when I am shopping for new shoes I listen very carefully to what he says.

https://www.youtube.com/@SethJamesDeMoor/videos

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Correct and correct.  Too much cardio makes muscle hard to keep on.  I have no beef with my times
View Quote

Plenty of examples exist but living is more fun than running.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Best running shoes ~$250 (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top