Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Tech at private universities is a strong market.  Check them out, OP.  

Unemployment rate? What a laugh.  All fluffed up by government hiring.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:03:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boolzi] [#2]
The government, even Congress , not just fjb’s White House can not afford the true economy numbers to go public. We, and I mean all of us will crater once the stock market is injected with reality. It operates on sunshine and rainbows. Washington knows this, the media knows this, and you know this. Our economy has long covid and there’s no way to clean it without pain.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree OP. The job market is seriously messed up right now. Can’t put my finger on exactly what, but it seems like companies can’t find people, and employees can’t find jobs at the same time.
I’ve had resumes out for 6+ months and can’t even get a sniff from reputable companies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
I dont know how anyone can be out of a job right now.

Can you do anything other than IT?  There's tons of trades work out there...
View Quote

Trades are slowing in my area. The electrician we use for home and business said he has one guy farmed out to a mine and another just coming in as needed. House building is slowing and houses for sale are on the market still after 4 months. HVAC guys aren’t balls out all week either.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If the numbers get out of hand, they just change the definition like they did for a recession.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You're counted as "employed" if you drive for DoorDash.  You're counted as "double employed" if you drive for both DoorDash and UberEats.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
Sometimes I wonder how many of those job postings or applicants are even real. See also: Dead Internet Theory.
View Quote

Many are not just companies collecting profiles for when they do start hiring. Banking jobs seem to be the only sector that’s somewhat growing. I sympathize with the OP, I’m in the same boat. Even H1B types are struggling to find positions.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Built Back Broken
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]
You do understand that the unemployment rate cannot be used as an employment metric, correct? A 4% unemployment rate does not mean 96% employment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I see plenty of "Now Hiring" signs everywhere.  Try going in and asking for an interview.  I was out of work for a while.  Couldn't even get a call back for a general retail job.  It sucks out there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Action45:
I've never seen more "help wanted/now hiring signs"
View Quote
Where they places that you'd want to work or would pay you anywhere what you need?
Or where they entry level jobs like my 20 year old step daughter would apply for after she got fired from the last one or quit because someone was mean to her?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By juan223:
H1B's need to go...

View Quote
We are doomed.  H1B AI development - their first sentient AI will be launched and then someone will ask Apu if he put in a foolproof kill switch just in case the AI decides humans are vermin to be destroyed.  Apu - "Kill switch?"
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The big consulting firms and tech companies will also list the same job in many states, it’s only ONE position but shows up many times in LinkedIn’s search.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 4 different employers advertising Help Wanted in my AO for a state license required position...

...offering pay on 1099 at about the same rate I was making when I started back in 1994

Fuck em
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Shadowstats: Alternate Unemployment Charts

last number published was around 24.7%

The douchebags talking about UBI can't have it both ways... needing UBI in an era of low unemployment doesn't make much sense.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By heavy260:

Trades are slowing in my area. The electrician we use for home and business said he has one guy farmed out to a mine and another just coming in as needed. House building is slowing and houses for sale are on the market still after 4 months. HVAC guys aren’t balls out all week either.
View Quote

It is slowing.  But its still a job.  I'll go to work for $5hr before i'll sit home...  thats just me
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tater22] [#17]
In the Birmingham, AL area, we have about 2 job postings for every unemployed person in the labor force (unemployed but looking). However, we hover around 60% workforce participation, which means about 40% of working age adults are out of the job market and not looking (lack of transportation, disability, laziness, etc).

So we have jobs, not enough willing and able people to work them, and we have seen our GDP and wage growth outpace the national average by a good bit the past several years.

Keep looking, and if you’re in a tech field open up your searches with manufacturers. 70% of our local tech workers are with manufacturing operations.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
Sometimes I wonder how many of those job postings or applicants are even real. See also: Dead Internet Theory.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. Most of those are probably bots and spammers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
The quality of online applicants is horrible. Back way before Indeed and LinkedIn, my boss ran some job reqs on Monster. We'd get a couple hundred. Filtering them was fun, and one applicant stood out. Absolutely no skills relevant to the position (content coordinators), but she "knew what the customers wanted." Her previous experience was "dancing."
View Quote

So how did she work out when you hired her?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By xd675:

Nailed it.

One of the lessons I've learned from history is nations fell when they rejected reality.

We have been papering right over reality with such sunshine figures they even have to "readjust" the selected numbers a week after the headline.

Hard times are coming as a result.  The good news is aint no one going to have patience for anything ESG.
View Quote

Yep, almost every "job" number has been change for at least the last year.  This admin is playing expensive games and it will come back to hurt all of us.  

A lot of the "job creation" has to do w/ part time jobs and a number of people are having to take a second part time job to make ends meet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#21]
My "position was eliminated" in February and I haven't been able to find a new job.  I worked for a big publicly traded investment company that downsized (in a way that won't be good for investors in the long run), and despite years of solid performance reviews I was let go.  It probably had to do with my last boss not appreciating me being honest about some outdated processes to internal/external audit, but I digress...  I also made the mistake of staying there too long despite making 30k under what is normal for my position.

I've applied to hundreds of positions and I've only gotten 5 interviews.  I've got a bachelor's and master's of science in forestry from two reputable universities.  I have a strong statistics background, knowledge of several programming languages, several years of project management experience, and several years of experience working in the woods.  I know my resume performs well when going through an ATS.  I guess it's true about h1b's not hiring American, because that's who usually interview me.

I'm at the point where I am going to start my own business because it's easier and lower risk than filling out hundreds of job applications every day.

I'm not very interested in trades- entry level skilled trades jobs in FL only pay like $12-$14/hr with no benefits, and it takes years to get licensed; and that's only if your licensed boss decides he wants to sign paperwork that creates another competitor.  If I could learn a trade in 1-2yrs before going out on my own with a license and still make enough to pay my mortgage I'd definitely do it.  I hate working for corporations in an office.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Something like 6 months of being unemployed and you fall off the list.

Seriously. That's what the .gov does.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mark9000:
I have been out since mid March and can say the official rate of 3.9% is BULLSH*T.

The unemployment rate ticked up slightly to 3.9%–it went from 3.83% to 3.86%–and the labor force participation rate held steady at 62.7%

https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/written-materials/2024/05/03/the-april-2024-jobs-report-whats-cooler-than-being-cool-steady-stable-growth/

I am an IT guy with a highly specialized area and NOBODY is lining up to hire me. I have seen job ads with HUNDREDS and sometimes THOUSANDS of applicants. How do I know this? Because Linkedin TELLS YOU HOW MANY APPLICANTS THERE ARE.

If the economy was so great there would not be hundreds/thousands of applicants. The social retards in Silicon Valley have laid off 262000 people in 2023. It has not shown any signs of slowing down with the layoffs at Tesla in the last few weeks.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/05/03/tech-layoffs-2023-list/?guccounter=1

I have put out about 100 resumes and only gotten 2 interviews. And its not just the IT sector - its EVERYONE. I have seen tons of non-IT people looking for work.

I would say the unemployment rate is at least DOUBLE what they are saying. Maybe even TRIPLE.
View Quote

Yeah, it's really, really bad. The last time I remember it being this bad was 2012ish with Obama, big shocker there.

Anyhow, three things:

1) Try not to get discouraged. Submitting 1k+ resumes online isn't out of line if you are looking for remote work.
2) Stop submitting (or at least spending appreciable time) on LinkedIn. LI is the single biggest scam out there. Indeed is much, much better ime.
3) Make sure your resume is readable/parsable by AI. It's a huge part of applications these days, more than being pretty or original in most cases.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Job openings are at the lowest level in 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:59:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDalton] [#25]
Maybe try de-tuning your resume so your specialization doesn't hurt you with the jobs your looking at.

Oh, and maybe it seems more dire because your field of choice is the one most impacted at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess the “learn to code” joke is useless now
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Cacinok:

Yep, almost every "job" number has been change for at least the last year.  This admin is playing expensive games and it will come back to hurt all of us.  

A lot of the "job creation" has to do w/ part time jobs and a number of people are having to take a second part time job to make ends meet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cacinok:
Originally Posted By xd675:

Nailed it.

One of the lessons I've learned from history is nations fell when they rejected reality.

We have been papering right over reality with such sunshine figures they even have to "readjust" the selected numbers a week after the headline.

Hard times are coming as a result.  The good news is aint no one going to have patience for anything ESG.

Part time jobs are the majority of new jobs created, out of necessity as you mentioned. This corrupt administration trying to claim they have created more jobs than any in recent history is BS too, most of them were people going back to work after the scamdemic. Pelosi got her panties in a bunch last week when that was pointed out to her, she stuck to her lies as usual.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
As for the IT industry, I've been at a Director level position in the industry for the better part of a decade in a multi-billion dollar company, working in an SRE and Cloud/IaC Automation role and AI has changed the landscape considerably.  For jobs that previously required me to find people that knew IaC, Python, TF and other coding-level skills - I no longer need that.  I can now bring in people that have only a cursory knowledge of these tools and technologies and use AI to augment them - and not need to pay them as much since they don't need to be highly skilled programmers or developers.
View Quote

You sound like an MBA who has been promoted far beyond your ability.  Maybe you should fire all the brainlets and just use AI and then tout the savings.

I forget where I saw the discussion, probably over on Reddit, but someone was using ChatGPT to "code" a guided search program for a partially-forgotten Bitcoin-wallet-seed-phrase solver (generate lists of keys and addresses from seeds, then look for a known address in the list to find the seed that is correct).  He asked ChatGPT how to do it, and it returned a bunch of Python code.  The guy read through it and realized it never called the elliptic-curve function that would be an absolutely mandatory part of any such piece of code -- that's how the addresses are generated;  no function call, no address, period.

This is part-and-parcel of "AI" nowadays.  It returns garbage and if you don't actually know the subject matter then you don't know it's garbage.

Not even getting into all the lawyers who have been sanctioned for filing ChatGPT-generated legal briefs, only for the judge to notice that all the caselaw citations were completely fake.  "In Garland v. Snozberries (13 US 2023), Chief Justice Roberts stated 'The Constitution is null and void, and it's fine to confiscate all firearms and execute anyone found to have concealed them.'"  See?  Nobody needs a law degree any more, you can just ChatGPT your way to Clown World.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Apply to the AFT and fix their garbage eForm system.

But seriously, good luck OP. Layoffs are in all industries due to an actual downturn in Q1, and projections for the next 3 years, that is being swept under the media rug. My company has had 3 record years in a row and still projected to beat 2019 numbers this year, but will be 20% lower than last year. So they laid off 20% of the employee base and penny pinching every which way. Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

You sound like an MBA who has been promoted far beyond your ability.  Maybe you should fire all the brainlets and just use AI and then tout the savings.

I forget where I saw the discussion, probably over on Reddit, but someone was using ChatGPT to "code" a guided search program for a partially-forgotten Bitcoin-wallet-seed-phrase solver (generate lists of keys and addresses from seeds, then look for a known address in the list to find the seed that is correct).  He asked ChatGPT how to do it, and it returned a bunch of Python code.  The guy read through it and realized it never called the elliptic-curve function that would be an absolutely mandatory part of any such piece of code -- that's how the addresses are generated;  no function call, no address, period.

This is part-and-parcel of "AI" nowadays.  It returns garbage and if you don't actually know the subject matter then you don't know it's garbage.

Not even getting into all the lawyers who have been sanctioned for filing ChatGPT-generated legal briefs, only for the judge to notice that all the caselaw citations were completely fake.  "In Garland v. Snozberries (13 US 2023), Chief Justice Roberts stated 'The Constitution is null and void, and it's fine to confiscate all firearms and execute anyone found to have concealed them.'"  See?  Nobody needs a law degree any more, you can just ChatGPT your way to Clown World.
View Quote
lol!

You missed that one by a wide margin my man!

Further, AI doesn't replace the need to have the correct people in the correct jobs - it augments them.  We can get through sprints, projects, issues, (etc) faster and not have to spend time with the minutiae of the past.  Businesses no longer need an army of low-level developers to write snippets of code like they did in the past.

BTW, no one who is technically savvy uses "ChatGPT" to code.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#31]
I have been out since mid March and can say the official rate of 3.9% is BULLSH*T.

The unemployment rate ticked up slightly to 3.9%–it went from 3.83% to 3.86%–and the labor force participation rate held steady at 62.7%

https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/written-materials/2024/05/03/the-april-2024-jobs-report-whats-cooler-than-being-cool-steady-stable-growth/

I am an IT guy with a highly specialized area and NOBODY is lining up to hire me. I have seen job ads with HUNDREDS and sometimes THOUSANDS of applicants. How do I know this? Because Linkedin TELLS YOU HOW MANY APPLICANTS THERE ARE.

If the economy was so great there would not be hundreds/thousands of applicants. The social retards in Silicon Valley have laid off 262000 people in 2023. It has not shown any signs of slowing down with the layoffs at Tesla in the last few weeks.

I have put out about 100 resumes and only gotten 2 interviews. And its not just the IT sector - its EVERYONE. I have seen tons of non-IT people looking for work.

I would say the unemployment rate is at least DOUBLE what they are saying. Maybe even TRIPLE.
View Quote

”I am an IT guy with a highly specialized area and NOBODY..”

This part seems rather pertinent.

I feel for you, ‘cause I’ve BTDT, and got the PTSD to show for it.  

Nevertheless, when you have a Specialized Skillset, your job options are limited.  

Our life experience is everything to Us.      It’s nothing in the great scheme of things.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ICU:
This administration lies about everything. They are genuine pieces of shit…
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Shazbat:
What is your niche specialty?
View Quote

Program manager for high performance computing (HPC) with modeling and simulation. I also have AI experience.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

It would seem he learned to code and it wasn't the end all be all our dear elder in charge made it out to be...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Which unemployment rate?

There’s a shit ton of rates that include / exclude different things and have different metrics.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Based on your experience it sounds like the "learn to code" mantra is BS as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Doesn't every administration lie about the actual unemployment rate because of how they get to report it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Maybe.

But some of those applicants are ME, and I have a job. I'm just always looking for a better one and I'm not the only one. Linkedin makes it so easy to apply....

View Quote

How can you drop off your 80lb paper resume while shaking hands with the manager over Linkedin?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Stonecutter6:

It would seem he learned to code and it wasn't the end all be all our dear elder in charge made it out to be...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Coding hasnt been a gold mine for a long time unless you worked in Silicon Valley at one of the FAANGs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
I dont know how anyone can be out of a job right now.

Can you do anything other than IT?  There's tons of trades work out there...
View Quote

You mean a licensed trade? I am in my 50s.

Looked into it in the past, that will take years as an apprentice to get the license, that is if they will give it to you. Nobody wants a 50 year old apprentice.

Or compete with all the illegals that are taking over pretty much anything blue collar non licensed?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
What is your specialty?

I've got 4 open roles in IT for high level developers and can't fill them.  It's either people who are too junior but really proud of their React webpage and aren't qualified or we offer the job and their current company pays them more to stay.
View Quote

Program management for high performance computing with modeling and simulation. I also have been involved with AI.

In the past I was involved with architecture and engineering.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

you misspelled senior pants shitter.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, yes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Lots of jobs posted out there are "fake" or are never intended to be filled.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Bull-Moose:
I see plenty of "Now Hiring" signs everywhere.  Try going in and asking for an interview.  I was out of work for a while.  Couldn't even get a call back for a general retail job.  It sucks out there.
View Quote

Make sure you look them straight in the eye, and give them a good strong handshake so they know you mean business.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Trust the science
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Unemployment rate is a funky formula. If there were 0 jobs, nobody had a job and so nobody was looking for a job the unemployment rate would be 0%. Doesn't figure in underemployment where a doctor is flipping burgers to make ends meet, nope, he is employed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Noticed this with a friend who was looking for a job recently.  4k+ resumes sent, three interviews.  Song and dance bullshit, given hope he was hired to not hear anything.
Noticed the same job would just get reposted over and over again to make it appear there was growth and expansion but multiple listing across multiple platforms to make it appear they were expanding instead of just padding.

Another thing was to get applicants to solve and issue or get work product without spending money on a hire.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By luscioman:
OP check out IT jobs at hospital amd health systems.
View Quote

School systems. Lots of time off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#50]
Sitting back and laughing about all the remote work people and all the job jumpers that thought they had it made during and immediately post pandemic.

If you don't have a skill set relatable to employer bottom line you are expendable. IT/programmers are a dime a dozen. Middle management is the same.. inflation squeezes both ends. Companies are reacting to consumer spending. The cush jobs are in for a rude awakening.

The job creation numbers are largely government jobs from stimulus spending. Private sector is and has not been following thoes numbers.
Page / 3
Top Top