Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ogreman73:

Except 10 is only good if you didn't have 7 or xp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By memsu:
Every other windows version sucks.

98 good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 good
11 bad

Nah. Windows 10 blows the doors off of those.

XP and 7 were both good in their day, but both had issues. The thing that annoyed me the most about 7 was the way patches built up over time. I had to run updates on a clean install of W7 around 2016 or so, and it took three days for all of them to download and install.

The W10 system of clean sub-versions is vastly superior.

Also, there were pretty big under the hood improvements over W7 that came in W8, but the UI was bad, and those improvements were implemented much better in W10.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Windows 11 is like Chrome, they keep pushing for it to be a touchscreen mobile world. Fuck touch screen, fuck tablets, fuck smart phones. I shouldn't have to change registry or flags buried under the hood to make things look normal on a 27" screen.

STOP FUCKING WITH SHIT
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By thejokker:
Computer security is not sexy and goes un-noticed but is never the less very important.  The reason for upgrading your hardware for Windows 11 is for hardware based computer security.  Yes; Microsoft has an annoying habit of changing the name of features and how to do things but it is very easy to type into a search engine "how to do "X" on Windows 11.  Turning off annoying features is similarly solved.

Not upgrading your O/S is the computer equivalent of "defunding" the police".
View Quote

On point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JVD:
Windows 11 is like Chrome, they keep pushing for it to be a touchscreen mobile world. Fuck touch screen, fuck tablets, fuck smart phones. I shouldn't have to change registry or flags buried under the hood to make things look normal on a 27" screen.

STOP FUCKING WITH SHIT
View Quote

Hasn't been relevant since Win8.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the issues I run into with Win11 in my client base are really down to MS wanting to integrate everything under a MS account and then the ensuing OneDrive backup/folder redirect.

But that is more of a MS thing, vs Windows specifically and was/is present in 10 as well

Same for O365 credentials and sign in/licensing snafus in Office.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

XP and 7 were both good in their day, but both had issues. The thing that annoyed me the most about 7 was the way patches built up over time. I had to run updates on a clean install of W7 around 2016 or so, and it took three days for all of them to download and install.

Also, there were pretty big under the hood improvements over W7 that came in W8, but the UI was bad, and those improvements were implemented much better in W10.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

98 good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 good
11 bad

I'm  not the biggest computer nerd anymore, and would  have to do a lot of research to put a decent machine together, but my household  has 5 kids plus my my wife and I, and there's some old lan games I can't get to work with 10 for whatever reason.

I know the newest rage is subscriptions and renting  games instead of owning  them, but not being  able to run Empire Earth or Cossacks in Lan has irked me since the day I discovered it. I know it's  not all windows fault, but we hate who we hate.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:

Yeah, but you can turn them off.
Personally, I haven't seen any ads on my W11 yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/sma1_jpg-3208012.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/SMA2_jpg-3208013.JPG

View Quote
All well and good until theyre mandatory.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Recently upgraded a Win10 VM to 11 for testing, and so far, things seem to be running o.k.  There's been a few changes that have taken a few moments to get used to, but nothing that has me yelling at the monitor........yet.  But it's Microsoft, so I have no doubt in my mind that the moment will come.  

Just don't tell it that it's running on a Z170 motherboard, a 6th gen i7-6700k, and an LMDE6 host.  
Fuck your hardware requirements Microsoft.

Followed the directions below, and Win11 installed with no issues.

?? Another NEW Way to Upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 23h2 on Unsupported Systems, No Tools Required
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Fallen:
That's because windows 11 sucks balls.  Pop up ads and they still haven't fixed the taskbar.  Fuck all that.
View Quote

My daughter swapped my wife's laptop to 11 and I didn't know there was a time limit on swapping it back. I waited too long to swap it back to 10. Can't do it now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By toby1:

My daughter swapped my wife's laptop to 11 and I didn't know there was a time limit on swapping it back. I waited too long to swap it back to 10. Can't do it now.
View Quote

Yes you can.  We discovered a incompatibility with Win 11 and our ERP system.  So when an accounting person gets a new computer I have to blow the OEM Win 11 away and install Win 10.  

The same key works for both.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I went from Win 7 to 11 and though there is a learning curve I don't see the outrage. It was like this from Win 95 to 98 and so on. I guess I simply expected it.

I'm starting to like Win 11 now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GonnaNeedaBiggerBoat:
I just dove into windows 11 and i'm less than thrilled about it.  I haven't found anything it does better than 10, and plenty it does worse.
View Quote

I upgraded a Win 10 machine to Win 11 and then quickly rolled it back to 10 within the allowed period when I realized how worse it was.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tras:
My CPU and Win11 don't mesh or whatever, so I haven't used it yet. Are you telling me that an operating system has fucking ads?
View Quote

I've never seen any, been on 11 for a year or two. I also use StartIsBack to customize my taskbar and start menu.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
You turn off most of the annoying stuff when doing a clean install. You can even get out of creating a microsoft account still. I'm guessing most of the bad rap is people using Home edition on pre-mades and laptops.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:
You turn off most of the annoying stuff when doing a clean install. You can even get out of creating a microsoft account still. I'm guessing most of the bad rap is people using Home edition on pre-mades and laptops.
View Quote

I think this is true.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
The newest Outlook is a real POS too
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By IT_Cowboy:
View Quote
Yup.
I have no problems with W11 - I think it's the best Windows version yet - but I agree that Outlook sucks (but then I have NEVER liked Outlook).
And as others have said, I think W11 on pre-builts might be why a lot people don't like it.
I built my own computer and have absolutely no problems with W11.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 1975:

I upgraded a Win 10 machine to Win 11 and then quickly rolled it back to 10 within the allowed period when I realized how worse it was.
View All Quotes
I just dove into windows 11 and i'm less than thrilled about it.  I haven't found anything it does better than 10, and plenty it does worse.

I just got a new Dell and didn't want to mess with driver issues from trying to roll back.  Of course the first issue i ran into was having to roll back a driver to a win10 driver for the realtek ethernet adapter in my dock to work with a customer's VPN client.  Other than that, i've been pleasantly surprised with the lack of software compatibility issues thus far.  It's just them moving everything AGAIN and making the things I use harder to find that has me pissed the fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

YES.  Fuck this new outlook with a rusty cactus.  Definitely made by the same team that skull fucked win11.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]

I just got a new Dell and didn't want to mess with driver issues from trying to roll back.  Of course the first issue i ran into was having to roll back a driver to a win10 driver for the realtek ethernet adapter in my dock to work with a customer's VPN client.  Other than that, i've been pleasantly surprised with the lack of software compatibility issues thus far.  It's just them moving everything AGAIN and making the things I use harder to find that has me pissed the fuck off.
View All Quotes

Start > Type words for thing > Enter
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:
"it's the last windows ever"
View Quote

That I'll purchase.  

The user experience since xp has gone down with every new version.

They had something great and they ruined it with pointless and inconsistent interface changes.  

If I wanted to Google where to find the most simple of settings I'd just use Linux.  So I will. Their search still sucks ass too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:00:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#22]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

View Quote

Except this is a disaster in Win11. It always lose the first keystroke in the search box, so I end up searching for things like "otepad" and "isual studio" which come up with no results. So I have to clear it out and type again. Then it searches the Internet faster than it searches locally-installed apps, so I end up getting web search results and advertisements about Visual Studio instead of the damned app that's already installed on my damned computer. If I clear it out and type a third time, then the app will be included in the web search results and I can finally click to open the thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:

Except this is a disaster in Win11. It always lose the first keystroke in the search box, so I end up searching for things like "otepad" and "isual studio" which come up with no results. So I have to clear it out and type again. Then it searches the Internet faster than it searches locally-installed apps, so I end up getting web search results and advertisements about Visual Studio instead of the damned app that's already installed on my damned computer. If I clear it out and type a third time, then the app will be included in the web search results and I can finally click to open the thing.
View Quote

Odd.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Sounds like a you problem to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:05:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#25]

View Quote
When I tried it (this was when upgrades to Win 10 machines first became available) the first thing I noticed was that the taskbar would only allow me to have one tab open. I think they called it grouped tabs, or something. All that available real estate and all I could have was one tab. It totally killed my productivity by making switching between spreadsheets and other tabs ten times slower. I couldn't work with it. Stupid, stupid decision. Not sure if it's been fixed or not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:
I just want my Windows XP back
View Quote
I used XP for many, many years after MSFT dropped support, it functioned perfectly for me, and it still worked for most everything, but the problem was it didn't have the advance tracking feature of the later Win versions, so... companies like Google, Facebook etc checked to what version Windows you had, if it anything less than Win 7, it will say "your version of Windows is not supported." Fvck the high tech companies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#27]

When I tried it (this was when upgrades to Win 10 machines first became available) the first thing I noticed was that the taskbar would only allow me to have one tab open. I think they called it grouped tabs, or something. All that available real estate and all I could have was one tab. It totally killed my productivity by making switching between spreadsheets and other tabs ten times slower. I couldn't work with it. Stupid, stupid decision. Not sure if it's been fixed or not.
View Quote

It was never broken.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm running Win11 on Parallels on my Mac without issue, but Win 10 on my gaming laptop
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#29]
That's because windows 11 sucks balls.  Pop up ads and they still haven't fixed the taskbar.  Fuck all that.
View Quote
Yes, the task bar fuck fuck was unnecessary.  Idiots.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
I love that everytime I get a windows update my homepage automatically becomes yahoo.

Nobody under the age of 60 uses fucking yahoo
View Quote
Damn, I am still using segments of excite.com

BTW MSFT is shipping a newer version of Windows with all of the new computers, from Google,  Win 12 Home is $140, and Win 12 Pro $200, it will be rolled out late-2024 or early-2025.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

It was never broken.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/Screenshot_2024-05-07_160751_png-3208087.JPG

That option wasn’t available when I tried it and I know for a fact it wasn’t just me because Google was full of articles about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Spy on you better?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

It was never broken.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/Screenshot_2024-05-07_160751_png-3208087.JPG

That was added over a year after the release date and still doesn't fix all of the taskbar problems.

What is with you and this thread?  Everything you post is a combination of not understanding the question and blaming the user.  Do you work for Microsoft or something?  Because that's what I would expect from a Microsoft employee.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Win 11 is a POS from my experiences. I run Win 10 and plan to upgrade everything to Linux, probably Zorin, as time goes. Already have one machine for the reloading room that runs Zorin. I very much like it.

Now, CAD devs need to forget the mac garbage and focus on making Debian and RHL releases.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m still on Windows 10. I hate new things.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#36]
Have used most versions of windows, managed to escape Me and Vista.  Was basically forced to go from XP to 10 - as XP was past end of life.  Newest build is 11 - son's computer, so I have only done some admin.  Problems on it probably have not been 11 related - but it did take down my home network for a few weeks.  It kept trying to sinc files online, which ate all my bandwidth and data plan.

Biggest issue with 11 was doing an offline install so I could avoid it knowing of any Microsoft account.  I think that saved a lot of problems.  FWIW did not really like 8.  But don't think I ever managed more than 2 Win 8 computers (out of a network of 20).  No real problems, it just annoyed me having 2 outcasts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Micro$#!t gonna charge subscription fees on Win10 users like automakers charging fees for heated seats, remote start and all dat $#!t
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#38]
I like Windows 11 Pro better than 10 and have 11 on three personal and 1 work machine.

Once you get used to the menu architecture, it's a lot smoother.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I manage around 50 Win 10Pro/11Pro systems. Everything that could get pushed to 11Pro has been pushed. New machines get bumped to Win11Pro if /when they arrive Win10Pro  Disable all the ad stuff and minimize notifications for our users.  My daily driver, in the office, is a Win11Pro with multiple screens.
Most of the time I’m in Putty terminal windows working on Ubuntu Servers though.

I’ve never seen un-necessary pop up notifications from Windows on any of the machines I’ve worked on. But spend a bunch of time getting them up to date and set before deployment.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#40]
Originally Posted By David0858:
https://www.xda-developers.com/reasons-people-moving-windows-11-back-to-windows-10
SNIP to see bold...hopefully

(quote)

Some argue that Windows 11 still offers little to no benefits for upgrading, especially in light of Microsoft killing some of the system's unique features, such as Windows Subsystem for Android. Add to that the ever-increasing number of ads, some of which are quite shameless, and you get an operating system that has a hard time winning hearts and minds and retaining its customers.

Later this month, Microsoft will showcase new AI features for Windows 11, which could become the first solid reason to leave Windows 10 behind. However, rumors indicate some of the most exciting parts will not be available on existing hardware. Therefore, customers who do not plan to upgrade their PCs simply have no reason to stay with Windows 11.
(/quote)

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#41]

98 good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 good
11 bad
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Yup.
I have no problems with W11 - I think it's the best Windows version yet - but I agree that Outlook sucks (but then I have NEVER liked Outlook).
And as others have said, I think W11 on pre-builts might be why a lot people don't like it.
View All Quotes
Yup.

Same here. I like W11 UI a lot better than W10 and have had zero problems with it.

W11 is also a requirement to use the E and P cores correctly on newer Intel chips.

I use Outlook in a web browser. The 'new Outlook' app is the same thing just in a web wrapper which I think is a mistake.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Yes, that was 'fixed' a long time ago
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Open-Shell for the win.  

Also, run a debloater for both Win10 and Win11.  Here's a guide to get you started.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Got one laptop I was able to activate without using a MS account.

Its fine as I turned the BS off and seems to work as good as my Win 10 gaming laptop.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Tras:
My CPU and Win11 don't mesh or whatever, so I haven't used it yet. Are you telling me that an operating system has fucking ads?
View Quote

@Tras, video touching on the topic.
Windows, That Escalated Quickly
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DefMan:
Micro$#!t gonna charge subscription fees on Win10 users like automakers charging fees for heated seats, remote start and all dat $#!t
View Quote
Not seen it nor have I ever paid for windows or Office.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:09:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#48]
I'm on Win 11 and macOS Sonoma. No issues.

With a lot of experience working at IT, I can confidently say that most of the "issues" in this thread are likely PEBKAC issues.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I am kinda meh, don't care at this point though I really wish the asshats would quit renaming and moving shit each time.

I have personally had: 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, 7, 10, and now 11

Yes ME sucked....

I have had to deal with but not owned: NT, and Vista

Out of them all...the guy who let Vista out of the test phase needs to get his balls removed, burned put back on, kicked 87,000 over and then removed again and mounted to his forehead as a warning to others...... for letting that shit in the general public.

I happened to be decent with computers and got a CAC card reader working on one computer..... I should have left the mess that day as the next thing I know I had 15 more waiting in line right after....

I guess I am somewhat blah about it now as I have to deal with Unix........and DOS 3.1 at work still
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#50]

That was added over a year after the release date and still doesn't fix all of the taskbar problems.

What is with you and this thread?  Everything you post is a combination of not understanding the question and blaming the user.  Do you work for Microsoft or something?  Because that's what I would expect from a Microsoft employee.
View All Quotes

It was never broken.

About 25 years of bad takes on issues that are either non-issues, or easily solved without some hack and slash fix.  I could be mistaken, but taskbar grouping of icons was never a mandatory configuration.  What other taskbar problems am I missing that make it unusable?
Page / 8
Top Top