Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Classic car delusion (Page 3 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, but style counts for something too right?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:35:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#2]
You look at older cars all wrong. It's not about the speed but about how few of them there are out there and how different they are/cool they look. You can go to any parking lot in America today and find numerous of the same newer style vehicles within a stone's throw of each other. Classic cars are in a league of their own and always will be. That's why they still have a following. Kind of the same with older guns. Sure the newer ones can do more but they don't have that same old world class charm/feel. Also, they were a lot easier to work on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:
You are right, they do not make them like they used to. They make them better.
View Quote
If not for the EPA car makers could do amazing things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:36:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy] [#4]
Originally Posted By Rbass:

Do you not see the point? Guess not. None of your new favorite cars will survive. The aftermarket "industry"  will not exist to keep any of them going. The factories will not support them past their minimum commitment, as it is vastly in their best interests to get all of their old cars off the roads. Who do you think is going to keep all the computer cars going? The Corvette is a great example that even with the most robust aftermarket of any car the electronics are still going to kill it. Mechanical parts are cheap. Software and electronics hardware for highly specialized applications such as all the different model cars, are not. Modern cars are the walking dead. You can believe that or not, but we are into the time frame now where it is beginning to happen and it's easy to see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rbass:
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

The Corvette is a low volume car predominantly sold to old men that don't drive them much. Sales are well under 30k units most years. There's not nearly as much demand/money for some of those parts as you might think.

In situations where the demand exists, the industry will find a solution.

Do you not see the point? Guess not. None of your new favorite cars will survive. The aftermarket "industry"  will not exist to keep any of them going. The factories will not support them past their minimum commitment, as it is vastly in their best interests to get all of their old cars off the roads. Who do you think is going to keep all the computer cars going? The Corvette is a great example that even with the most robust aftermarket of any car the electronics are still going to kill it. Mechanical parts are cheap. Software and electronics hardware for highly specialized applications such as all the different model cars, are not. Modern cars are the walking dead. You can believe that or not, but we are into the time frame now where it is beginning to happen and it's easy to see.

If meaningful demand exists, the industry will meet that demand.

A certain subset of the car community has talked about electronics and computers as if it's untouchable voodoo magic ever since the earliest EFI, electric fuel pumps, and other such systems were introduced. Decades have gone by, and that automotive apocalypse has yet to hit.

The aftermarket industry makes upgraded computer modules for some vehicles, and they even make some for models that never had computers to begin with. There's no reason to expect this to change.

PS: The Corvette aftermarket is a small fish compared to Big 3 trucks, Jeeps, Toyota and Nissan 4x4s, muscle cars, and most likely a good subset of the Japanese and European import tuner cars.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The best thing about driving a '73 'cuda was it was 1976.

Sex and drugs and rock-n-roll.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
Nostalgia is the biggest liar you will ever meet. I hear boomer car guys go on and on about how fast their muscle car was and how modern cars are shit.
They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made. Modern cars don't need a complete tear down and rebuild every 50k miles like the cars of yesteryear.  Line any of those old muscle cars up next to a modern Mustang or Charger, it's night and day. 14 seconds used to be a fast qt mile, guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.

Yes the modern car is harder for people to work on themselves but if you're not a complete dumbass it is doable.

Old cars are cool but lets be honest about how great they really were.

*edit*
Before anybody starts with dyno numbers, those old school numbers are complete horseshit and has been proven time and time again.  Put them on the dyno, yall were lied to about what those cars made.
View Quote

RE: Dyno numbers - yeah they lied... to the downside!: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/testing-4-2-8how-much-horsepower-ford-428-cobra-jet-really-make/

55 years of transmission and suspension development is a thing. So is the improvement from bias ply tires to radials.

Also, who gives a fuck that your Camry is faster than my 69 Mustang? Literally nobody is walking across the street to talk to you about your shitbox.

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

I'm not a boomer. Modern cars ARE shit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#7]
There once was a time that rebuilt 60s car was the best by almost every measure.

Those times are past.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome OP. No one has ever thought up this tired discussion thread starter before, with its false narrative that enthusiasts think old cars were better/faster/etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
These are cars from my childhood that I thought were the coolest thing going. They turned heads then and turn heads now, I have them for nostalgic purposes. They are for cruising not comfort.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I would love to see the oils of the 60-70's be brought back today and see how long a modern engine last.

I am not saying performance isn't better but somethings have other factors that determine longevity than the engineers building the engines.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MorningNapalm:

Also, who gives a fuck that your Camry is faster than my 69 Mustang? Literally nobody is walking across the street to talk to you about your shitbox.
View Quote

Yep.  Nobody breaks their neck staring at my 2012 toyota.  They are all the time taking pictures of and trying to talk to me when I'm in my old cars.  About the one they used to have or whatever.  My wife really didn't get it at first.  Then I came home with my 69 t-bird with miles of that leather interior.  The smell of the interior of that car instantly transported her and her mom back decades.

Nobody on the planet will ever be nostalgic over a 2012 toyota compact car with cloth seats.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRX7Project] [#12]

ETA: Fuckin beat like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel like old cars are not about what you think they are. Its about the driving experience.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#14]
We are a form over function peoples

until it comes to cars.... then we prefer looks
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
I have a ‘69 Camaro. It’s a base model V8 with a 327 2 barrel carb. It was my grandmothers.

It’s quite possibly the slowest car I’ve ever owned and driven.
View Quote

User name checks out.

In for list of current production 8 second DD's.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't blame them. I'd love to have an S2000 and MR2 Spyder in my driveway. Neither have much horsepower.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By clutchsmoke:
Pretty good analogy right there
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By clutchsmoke:
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
This is like comparing a P-51 to a F-4 to a F-22.  All are cool, all had their time.  A P-51 is still awesome to this day, just like a lot of the cars from 65'-73'.

Pretty good analogy right there

Great analogy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't own old cars for the performance. I own them like I own old rifles. History and the experience. Even a performance car from 20 years ago pales in comparison to what we have now. That doesn't meant thos cars are trash. Time marches on and things change. So far it's been better performance. At some point that might change. The muscle cars of the 60s to earl 70s held up because of the malaise of the 70s and 80s. You could still blow the doors off those newer cars except for a handful of models. It wasn't until the 90s that you saw the performance really ramp up again with cars that could fairly easily turn 13.x times at the drag strip, but also handle and brake.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Old cars really kinda sucked outside of looking and sounding cool.

Basic suspensions, no traction control or ABS, shit gas milage, if it was high enough “performance” (LOL) it needed tuned up whenever the seasons changed, like 87 miles between oil changes, nothing lasted… shit fell apart and needed major overhaul/repairs/maintenance from like 70,000-100,000mi, poor crash survivability …

87% of classic cars are terrible vehicles by any modern standard.  But hey, they looked and sounded cooler.
View Quote

Very much this. The fact that a modern day Camry or Accord will dust a 70’s muscle car in every performance metric should tell you that. Not to mention the safety, efficiency and longevity.

To me resto-mods are cooler because you get the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:51:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#20]
Still most days I wish I could work a modern rendition of late 70s cars.

Like a 1978 Lincoln but made with modern robots and materials

Would make my job a hell of alot easier.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats me but on the Level.

My 1988 Mustang GT was modded well back then and about the fastest car in my hometown in the day.

Fast forward to today and my recently acquired 1987 Foxbody GT while fun, gets destroyed by about every single car currently on the road.

is what it is
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#22]
My buddy says:

"Not entirely true. Muscle cars were never designed to brake or corner, just go fast in a straight line, stop light to stop light.

The top end high compression big blocks with big carburetors, tuned & cammed for 100+ octane pump gas and headers were very fast, especially with some tire and suspension tuning.

The reason they needed tear downs and inspections around 50k is the loose piston clearances necessary to run high compression and not be overly expensive.

Remember these were never intended to be commuter cars."
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
OP sounds angry.

There have been awesome vehicles produced during every decade of my existence.

Small displacement commuter vehicles (the comparison point always chosen by angry internet ranters) have also been pretty lame for as long as I have been alive, regardless of improvements.

Delusion is as delusion does, perhaps.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Illinois hipsters are worse than Illinois nazis.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HK_FTW:
Good thing OP left old trucks out of rant.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/376498/IMG_4990_jpeg-3214087.JPG
View Quote

@HK_FTW
That's an I beam front suspension. How did you get it low without messing up the camber?
I had a 70 so that series of Fords has a soft spot in my heart.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
Stupid people think that classic cars are about nostalgia. I'm not a boomer. When I had a 1966 charger, I made friends wherever I went, and it was mostly young kids coming up asking about the car.  

On another matter, why does every pissed off malcontent posting at this forum insist on including the word "boomer" in their posts? Weren't you people taught to respect your elders? What the hell is wrong with you? Maybe this is why your kids don't respect you, ridicule you behind your back, if they even bother, speak to you.

You probably think you're edgy and cool, but you're just a Democrat stooge. In case you haven't noticed, the Democratic Party holds onto power by dividing the country into groups and then making them hate each other. It isn't just ivy league idiots hating Jews. It's gun, toting, so-called conservatives, who should know better, Convincing themselves that "boomers" are the cause of all of their problems. What a fucking joke. Your parents must be so embarrassed. your kids must be so ashamed.
View Quote

Maybe conservative boomers ought to stop berating millennials every chance they get then lmao.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#27]
What is the point of a thread like this other than to call other people retards unprovoked?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

If meaningful demand exists, the industry will meet that demand.

A certain subset of the car community has talked about electronics and computers as if it's untouchable voodoo magic ever since the earliest EFI, electric fuel pumps, and other such systems were introduced. Decades have gone by, and that automotive apocalypse has yet to hit.

The aftermarket industry makes upgraded computer modules for some vehicles, and they even make some for models that never had computers to begin with. There's no reason to expect this to change.

PS: The Corvette aftermarket is a small fish compared to Big 3 trucks, Jeeps, Toyota and Nissan 4x4s, muscle cars, and most likely a good subset of the Japanese and European import tuner cars.
View Quote

Bro dozer lift kits and exhausts are a long way from proprietary flat screens, circuit boards and manufacturer copyrighted software that will not be released or licensed to the aftermarket. Walking dead. But continue on with your rant.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
I had an on again off again relationship with a Kawasaki 750 2-stroke I swore was actually trying to kill me

Looking back,  it pulled a 12-second quarter mile. One of the slower bikes I've ever owned
View Quote

God I love 2-stroke street bikes. One of my biggest regrets was selling my built RD350…..
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By StraightShootinGal:
My buddy says:

"Not entirely true. Muscle cars were never designed to brake or corner, just go fast in a straight line, stop light to stop light.

The top end high compression big blocks with big carburetors, tuned & cammed for 100+ octane pump gas and headers were very fast, especially with some tire and suspension tuning.

The reason they needed tear downs and inspections around 50k is the loose piston clearances necessary to run high compression and not be overly expensive.

View Quote
Your "buddy" is a fucking idiot.

I guess "your buddy" never heard of Trans Am either?

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Well this thread has been very enlightening.

I can now see why lead was banned from gasoline.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
I hear the Honda Civic crowd going on about how their 4 cyl. makes "more (horse)power" and how their economy car is faster in the first 60'. I'm thinking they are ignorant about torque...and probably cars in general.
View Quote

Not about torque, it’s about weight. Laugh all you want about 4 cylinder Hondas, just keep in there are 300+ hp naturally aspirated civics running around that weigh less than 2000lbs… those cars will outrun a lot of cars you wouldn’t expect. That said, I think FWD sucks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Rival14:
Thats me but on the Level.

My 1988 Mustang GT was modded well back then and about the fastest car in my hometown in the day.

Fast forward to today and my recently acquired 1987 Foxbody GT while fun, gets destroyed by about every single car currently on the road.

is what it is
View Quote

Big fan of the foxbody Mustang, I had a 90 and now my son has an 89.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:

@HK_FTW
That's an I beam front suspension. How did you get it low without messing up the camber?
View Quote

The whole suspension has been replaced with a QA1 system.  Torque arm rear and a arms up front riding on coil overs.  The kit is designed for road racing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I sold this in 2022 after having it 34 years.  It was  great in my 20's but like driving an oven in my mid 50's.  It was originally a 375hp 396 but I put a 427 in it.  Manual steering,  4 speed and no AC.  Originally it probably was around 375 horses at the crank.  All the new cars are power at the wheels.  My wife's Genesis G70 would run circles around it.  I honestly never thought I would get rid of my Chevelle but I got two motorcycles now

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Classic cars have the designs that people love. The best rebuilds are when someone takes a classic body and installs all new internals so its a much more modern vehicle. Revology does this with their Mustangs, downside is the cost unfortunately.
https://revologycars.com/car/1968-shelby-gt500kr-convertible/
https://revologycars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/66mustang_22_fastback_parked_in_front_of_vickers_metal_works-2.webp
View Quote

WOW, that is a beautiful ride!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#37]
The thing with old vehicles is that everything sucked, so you don’t need to have the same amount of speed to get the same thrill. Point in case, going 150 + on a modern sport bike is a similar feeling I get when doing the ‘ton’ on my Norton Commando. Actually, 100+ on the Norton is a little more thrilling.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#38]

In 40 years no one is going to be combing the swap meets looking for parts to restore a Camry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Cars are for getting from A to B
View Quote

Enjoy your Prius, then.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#40]
2022/23 was peak muscle car:

- Challenger Hellcats, Hellcat Redyes and Demon 170
- GT-500
- Camaro ZL-1 LE

All of the above are gone.  Wiped out by Biden and Leftist policies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:20:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#41]
Fuck your renter shit box.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/5aa2c7eeb8bd1b9c2d23ee4d478b38f4_jpg-3214120.JPG

But seriously, old cars aren't necessarily cool due to horsepower/quarter mile/speed. They're cool because you don't see them day in and day out, they have a very cerebral sight/sound/smell (loads of raw unburnt fuel. Yummy!) and it's just a fun novelty. Sorry your husband won't let you get one OP.

I highly doubt you're having as much fun in your Camry as I am rowing gears in this.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505993/IMG_20230919_112141373_jpg-3214126.JPG
View Quote
@MallNinja531

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dwhitehorne:
I sold this in 2022 after having it 34 years.  It was  great in my 20's but like driving an oven in my mid 50's.  It was originally a 375hp 396 but I put a 427 in it.  Manual steering,  4 speed and no AC.  Originally it probably was around 375 horses at the crank.  All the new cars are power at the wheels.  My wife's Genesis G70 would run circles around it.  I honestly never thought I would get rid of my Chevelle but I got two motorcycles now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102369/IMG_20220518_111411_867_jpg-3214177.JPG
View Quote

In a few years you'll be one of those guys at a car gathering lamenting the one you let go.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
I would love to see the oils of the 60-70's be brought back today and see how long a modern engine last.

I am not saying performance isn't better but somethings have other factors that determine longevity than the engineers building the engines.
View Quote

Old engines built with modern materials and modern machining processes will last MUCH longer than the original stuff.

Original engines were assembled by selective fit of many of the parts, mostly due to process variability in the machining of the engine components.

Modern low tension rings, and modern machining processes would eliminate many of those durability issues seen in engines of old.  Using those features in an old engine would allow the old stuff to have engine durability/reliability levels that match that of modern engines.  Add in the modern oils, and the difference between old/new engines would be negligible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MontstrSp] [#46]
A set of good sway bars, bushings, springs, shocks, tires and brakes (like a modern car has stock) made a massive improvement in my 70 Chevelle. Huge.

My f150 has 400hp/500tq bone stock. It has more power than I'll ever need in a pickup. It's pretty quick sometimes. It also sounds like a damn pinball machine, it beeps and chimes and yells at me about everything.

My CRX makes 100hp if it's lucky. It's my favorite to drive. It just wants to be a good car. And it is.

ETA: friggen idiots going on about "Honda Civic guys"....when's the last time you saw an actual "Fast n' Furious" import rolling around? That movie came out 25 years ago! Nobody does crap with Honda Civics anymore.

Some old guy asked me two days ago how I had historic plates on my CRX...."this car's too new for those, you can't have them on that!" Buddy....this car is 35 years old.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOJNrsPBPHs

https://speedtour.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/article-trans-am-05.jpg

View All Quotes
My buddy says:

My buddy replies:

"I don't mean the standard pony or muscle cars, but the top end performance versions.

How many people did you know of or see commuting in a street tuned 426 4 speed Sunbird?"
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Look no further than quarter mile times.  13 sec was "very fast" back in the "muscle car" days.

The stock Demon is banned from NHRA events because it's too fast (sub 10 seconds).

Fucking Grand Cherokee Trackhawk or Ram TRX will crush an old Camaro/Mustang/Chevelle/Corvette.
View Quote

You left out the old Hemi cars because the new Camaros and Mustangs toast those.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:

@HK_FTW
View Quote
You can buy drop I-beams for them if you don't want to do a conversion.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#50]

My buddy replies:

"I don't mean the standard pony or muscle cars, but the top end performance versions.

How many people did you know of or see commuting in a street tuned 426 4 speed Sunbird?"
View All Quotes
My buddy says:

My buddy replies:

the high end ones of which were almost never produced? Yeah ok lets start cherry picking our cars now with blanket statements.

You and your buddy lol Good grief.
Page / 16
Classic car delusion (Page 3 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top