Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2024 8:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: logickl]
I recently bought a Valmet M76 equipped with a wooden stock. I like the rifle, but after doing some research and seeing how the Fins did a refresh to the RK 62 with the M1, M2, and M3 series, I wanted to do a refresh Similar to the M1. After doing some more research, I realized I can give the M76 a considerable upgrade without making any permanent alterations. I can custom fit Arsenal Circle 10 waffle magazines and have the ability to add a fixed buffer tube to the rifle via a picatinny rail adapter.

I’ll continue to update the thread of the progress. I’m hoping my project will get enough interest for me to make more converted magazines and custom buffer tube adapter. I’m sure there’s plenty of people with chipped or broken stocks that’ll love to switch them out with a modern butt stock. Unfortunately, I have no plans for a scope mount. It will require you to drill into the receiver, which I don’t want to do for obvious collector/investor reasons. I do plan on making an exact copy of the picatinny barrel mount in sometime in the future.

My M1 build is officially complete. I had to do some significant metal work to the adapter but it was totally worth it. It’s kind of interesting how much this changes the rifle for the better. The adapter fits strait and is perfectly aligned with the rear trunion.

My complete M76 M1 build:

Day one of M76 build.

Here’s a RK 62 M1, the first upgrade the RK 62 has officially seen.

First, I custom fitted Arsenal Circle 10 magazines and in my opinion, makes a good difference and is A LOT cheaper than buying another factory magazine.

Next, I was able to make a crude prototype picatinny rail adapter that would allow me to add the buffer tube. I’ll have to take the adapter to a shop and fine tune it. I’m sure I’ll make a batch of custom adapters since it’ll probably be cheaper than making a one off. I’ll also have to source a new shorter bolt that’ll fit snug with the adapter without blocking the rail as well. Here’s a couple of pics with the prototype.

Here’s a rough look at the progress at the moment. As you can see, the stock looks a little droopy because of the slant angle on the rear trunion. The fix for that will be a piece of metal that the picatinny rail will be welded to to offset the slant. I’m almost at the point where I can take what I have to a machine shop that can make me a usable mount.

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
looks nice and a neat project. I do think that angle on the pic rail won't work though. The M1 you pictured shows the stock straight, unless your knuckle or adapter has the angle in it to counter the angle of your pic tail.

Look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Can you expand on the scope rail for the M1?

THX!
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:19:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: logickl] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nictra:
looks nice and a neat project. I do think that angle on the pic rail won't work though. The M1 you pictured shows the stock straight, unless your knuckle or adapter has the angle in it to counter the angle of your pic tail.

Look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Can you expand on the scope rail for the M1?

THX!
View Quote

You’re right about the offset angle. My goal is to weld the picatinny rail to a piece of metal that’ll offset the angle so it’ll fit strait. I have no plans for a scope rail for the M76. Based on my research, the only way to get a mount on the receiver is by actually altering the receiver and I’m not willing to make permanent alterations to the receiver for collection/investment reasons. I did notice on the rear iron sight mechanism, there’s a exposed bottom end of a screw exposed that could possibly accommodate a picaitnny rail big enough for smaller RDS, so I’ll definitely explore that after I get the buffer tube adapter done.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
How much asspain was involved converting the mag?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: logickl] [#4]
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:
How much asspain was involved converting the mag?
View Quote

Enough for me to warrant $150 per magazine. The magazines are close to $60 each alone, so with the amount of time and effort to convert the magazine, I think $150 per magazine is a fair price.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m pleased to announce my Valmet M76 “M1” build is officially complete.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice work on the stock adaptor.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mragu:
Very nice work on the stock adaptor.
View Quote

Thank you! If there’s enough interest in an adapter, I might consider making a batch of them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice work, sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Good stuff.   Thank you for sharing.  I shot my M76FW last weekend with some other AK variants and its still one of the best/smoothest ever.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top