Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2024 11:16:54 PM EDT
So I was thinking of using the .50 Beowulf for deer hunting this year, 150-200 yard max but probably under 100 yards.  All I have is some AA 350 grain solid brass spitzer and AA 350 grain round shoulder flat nose. Obviously the Spitzer is overkill but I think the flat nose should be more than enough.  I looked at some XTP and FTX but it was way too much.  Anyone think there's an issue using the 350 grain flat nose?
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#2]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
So I was thinking of using the .50 Beowulf for deer hunting this year, 150-200 yard max but probably under 100 yards.  All I have is some AA 350 grain solid brass spitzer and AA 350 grain round shoulder flat nose. Obviously the Spitzer is overkill but I think the flat nose should be more than enough.  I looked at some XTP and FTX but it was way too much.  Anyone think there's an issue using the 350 grain flat nose?
View Quote

Meplat can be a MF'r

What does the frontal area look like on this bullet?  Gottapic?

Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve shot a few hogs with the Rainer 334gr FP and HP… all shots were 50 yards and in.

Hogs were in the 50 to 200 pound range… every hog I’ve shot was knocked completely down, almost all died within a few seconds.

Only had one bad experience, bullet hit high and blew a baseball size hole in the hog, knocked it down and I thought it was dead. Was only shock, a few minutes later the hog got up and tried to run off.

I’d use that ammo within 50 yards and with a good clear behind the shoulder shot should be quite deadly.

Question is… is that bullet design legal in GA?
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
I’ve shot a few hogs with the Rainer 334gr FP and HP… all shots were 50 yards and in.

Hogs were in the 50 to 200 pound range… every hog I’ve shot was knocked completely down, almost all died within a few seconds.

Only had one bad experience, bullet hit high and blew a baseball size hole in the hog, knocked it down and I thought it was dead. Was only shock, a few minutes later the hog got up and tried to run off.

I’d use that ammo within 50 yards and with a good clear behind the shoulder shot should be quite deadly.

Question is… is that bullet design legal in GA?
View Quote

That was another question I had and I just now finally found it in the regulations.  Expanding bullets only for bear and deer.... I'm not sure of the logic behind that because a good hard cast is exactly what you want on a bear and would work even better on a deer.  I'm sure some bureaucrat who's never hunted before demanded that rule to keep hunters from using FMJ in their 9mm....anywho, that's that.  Unless the ammo gods deliver a box or two of XTP's the Beowulf will sadly be sitting this season out.  

Thanks for the info and the reminder to check the bullet type requirements!
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fish223:
Brother,  I'm not an ammo god in any way, but it so happens I have a couple of boxes of 334JHP from way back when I had a beo. Gathering dust on a shelf for years, literally. I will be happy to donate them to the cause, and I will ship them to you gratis, on condition you post all succesful hunts.

I miss that gun. The thump was remarkable. FNY

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59378/1000033377-3303369.jpg
View Quote

That would be great, thank you. I'll IM you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]

That was another question I had and I just now finally found it in the regulations.  Expanding bullets only for bear and deer.... I'm not sure of the logic behind that because a good hard cast is exactly what you want on a bear and would work even better on a deer.  I'm sure some bureaucrat who's never hunted before demanded that rule to keep hunters from using FMJ in their 9mm....anywho, that's that.  Unless the ammo gods deliver a box or two of XTP's the Beowulf will sadly be sitting this season out.  

Thanks for the info and the reminder to check the bullet type requirements!
View Quote

MN has the same restriction, but cast lead bullets are allowed because they have an exposed lead tip.  FMJ is illegal, but a hard cast lead with a wide meplat is just fine and deadly for deer and bear.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

MN has the same restriction, but cast lead bullets are allowed because they have an exposed lead tip.  FMJ is illegal, but a hard cast lead with a wide meplat is just fine and deadly for deer and bear.
View Quote

Same in Indiana.  Even a hard cast bullet that will never expand is legal, just not military type full metal jackets or FMJ found on some handgun rounds.  I know about the hard cast lead wide meplat bullets because I asked the DNR years ago when shooting them in my .454 C FA revolver and .45-70 Contender.  Wide meplat bullets don't need to expand to kill quickly and humanely, and I have proof of that hanging on the wall.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fish223] [#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright bro, they are packed up and out the door, should get to you Friday.
I sent you tracking via IM.
Can't wait to see the results!

edit 41 rounds. I'm almost 100% I have another few rounds in my loose pile, if I find them, I will just send them along.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59378/1000033436-3306965.jpg
View Quote

Damn nice gesture Sir.

I’ve given away rare and unique ammo on here before, nice to see others do the same.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright bro, they are packed up and out the door, should get to you Friday.
I sent you tracking via IM.
Can't wait to see the results!

edit 41 rounds. I'm almost 100% I have another few rounds in my loose pile, if I find them, I will just send them along.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59378/1000033436-3306965.jpg
View Quote

Much thanks, I'm really looking forward to hunting with the Beowulf.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Awe Brandi, was hoping you would have gotten tired of that beast and sell it to me. Can you post picks again of that sweet beast? I want one bad but my back so no way after a few back surgeries.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:08:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#13]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Awe Brandi, was hoping you would have gotten tired of that beast and sell it to me. Can you post picks again of that sweet beast? I want one bad but my back so no way after a few back surgeries.
View Quote

Yup, still have it. Hopefully it gets me a deer this year. I've had a couple back surgeries myself and it's no fun.  Hopefully you get to a better point. Here's the pic again at least.

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#14]
350 gr Underwood XTP  25 yds fired into six water jugs.  the bullet on the right is  7.62x39 154 gr tula  soft point just for reference

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Yup, still have it. Hopefully it gets me a deer this year. I've had a couple back surgeries myself and it's no fun.  Hopefully you get to a better point. Here's the pic again at least.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4296/36109855822_050ea4ee45_b.jpg
View Quote

Thank you. Should ease the craving for now. That is one bad ass AR.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DrywellDweller:
350 gr Underwood XTP  25 yds fired into six water jugs.  the bullet on the right is  7.62x39 154 gr tula  soft point just for reference

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/445620/IMG_1501_jpeg-3308363.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/445620/IMG_2216_jpeg-3308364.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/445620/IMG_2221_jpeg-3308365.JPG
View Quote

That's a big chunk O' lead!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top