AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably won’t work on a 1.54 due to lack of clearance.  Should be fine on the taller ones.

More room for error so just check it a few times before torquing.
View Quote

100% can confirm it doesn't clear on the 1.54.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 1:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Scalarworks leap/08. 1.93" height. Waiting for a NX8 to load in there. Pretty impressed with the build quality.

Link Posted: 6/8/2024 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Scalarworks leap/08. 1.93" height. Waiting for a NX8 to load in there. Pretty impressed with the build quality.

https://i.imgur.com/frZsugq.png

View Quote

Did they fix the breaking hinges?
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Did they fix the breaking hinges?
View Quote

Hasn't broken yet

Folks say they redesigned a couple years ago. We shall see.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hasn't broken yet

Folks say they redesigned a couple years ago. We shall see.
View Quote

Glad to hear that.  Always appreciate their designs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn’t realize companies were making 1.93 mounts now, I’ll have to check more into that, wouldn’t mind ditching my riser
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite by far is the Unity.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Geissele, Reptillia, NightForce, Badger you can't go wrong just gotta go with what tickles your titts................................Only gripe I have against the Rep AUS is the FDE is golden not really an FDE at all but really unless it's cerakoted none are lol......................
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Reptilia AUS. The low profile flathead screws for removal makes the choice a no brainer. The amount of RDS attachment options sweetens the deal. Reptilia guys are great aswell.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ADM for mine.  When I was shopping the ADM was the best value IMO.
View Quote

I absolutely love their ACOG and T2 mounts, but vertical split rings need to be purged from the planet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I found my eyeball is more accurate than using the Arisaka level tool and is fine out to 300 yards. If you really want to have it dialed in, zero while holding on a plumb line at the target.

If you really care about cant at long range, you need a scope mounted level that is adjusted to the reticle (use a plumb line for your vertical reference and move level on scope body until it matches). At that point, whether or not the reticle is canted relative to the rifle has ZERO impact on your long range shooting. You could have the scope off by 5 degrees from the rifle and as long as you zeroed at 100 with the level flat and always shoot with the level flat, you will track perfectly at any and all distances and never need a single click of extra windage adjustment.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Badger is my current favorite. Would like to try a reptillia at some point
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I absolutely love their ACOG and T2 mounts, but vertical split rings need to be purged from the planet.
View Quote

Their Delta line uses horizontal split.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I found my eyeball is more accurate than using the Arisaka level tool and is fine out to 300 yards. If you really want to have it dialed in, zero while holding on a plumb line at the target.

If you really care about cant at long range, you need a scope mounted level that is adjusted to the reticle (use a plumb line for your vertical reference and move level on scope body until it matches). At that point, whether or not the reticle is canted relative to the rifle has ZERO impact on your long range shooting. You could have the scope off by 5 degrees from the rifle and as long as you zeroed at 100 with the level flat and always shoot with the level flat, you will track perfectly at any and all distances and never need a single click of extra windage adjustment.
View Quote

I agree with everything here, except that if I found my reticle wasn’t level relative to the turrets (thus making the arisaka tool ineffective), that scope would be taking a trip back to the manufacturer.

But I’m also the guy that uses a level when installing a handguard, checks the actual mount itself for level relative to the receiver, then installs via arisaka and confirms with a plumb bob line that everything checks out.  

Doing this, I just put a level on my handguard, then set the scope level relative to that, and have 100% success during verification via plumb bob. It takes time, but it’s an easy way to also check and make sure there’s no issues with any of the parts.

You’d be surprised at how many Larue mounts I’ve found that don’t mount up level relative to the receiver.  It’s why I stopped using them years ago.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Clamping a pair of rings to a base rail like larue and ADM is a low cost bean counter way to do the job.  

The issue is that that is a second interface to allow the scope to move independently of the receiver.

The pic interface is very rigid, strong, repeatable, so it is the more solid of the two.

Any mount like Geissle, badger, leupold mk4, Spuhr, KAC, and our GPM mounts, which form a cradle that transfers the tube interface directly to the pic rail, are superior to any vertical split ring clamped to a base rail.  

I will say imo the Larue seemed better than the ADM even in the similar style, but it is still a vertically split ring mount, or a horizontally split where the lower is separately screw clamped to the base rail mount, and inferior in either case to the above mentioned one part lower cradle style mounts for the purpose of absolute zero retention.  Anything that splits one part into two or more parts screwed together is just an ease of manufacturing driven cost reduction emphasis design.

At that point parts are near net, minimal machining is happening, and modularity is reducing the components and cnc settups and programs required to comprise a lineup.  Those are not performance driven details- those are work/time/material cost and investment reducing measures being emphasized over absolute performance.
View Quote

I believe it was Ilya that tested a bunch of vertical split mounts and found wild variance in clamping alignment. Logic would say that’s just opening the door for windage deflection which is much harder to deal with than elevation.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Unity is the best I have tried.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unity is the best I have tried.
View Quote

What else have you tried? What makes it better than a Reptilia, Geissele, PA PLX, NF, Badger, etc.?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What else have you tried? What makes it better than a Reptilia, Geissele, PA PLX, NF, Badger, etc.?
View Quote

I have tried Reptilia, Geissele and Badger.  I prefer the height over all of those.  And the lugs stick out too far on the Geissele and the Badger.
Unity works much better for me.  What is your favorite?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Warne or ADM are all one needs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have tried Reptilia, Geissele and Badger.  I prefer the height over all of those.  And the lugs stick out too far on the Geissele and the Badger.
View Quote

NF Ultramounts for 1.93”, NF Unimount and Reptilia AUS for 1.5ish” height. I like the 2.26” height for red dots/Eotechs on guns set up specifically for NV but it’s too tall for me with a magnified optic. The NF and Reptilia mounts are also lighter than the Unity.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have tried:

Geissele
Badger
Leupold ISMS
Bobro
Nightforce
Reptilia

So far, I prefer Reptilia. I have not tried the Unity, though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have tried:

Geissele
Badger
Leupold ISMS
Bobro
Nightforce
Reptilia

So far, I prefer Reptilia. I have not tried the Unity, though.
View Quote

Reptilia is my second favorite and similar to the Unity.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I forgot to include the Daniel Defense mount. It can be a little finicky to get on and off some receivers but it's a lightweight,  solid and very reasonably priced option.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Reptilia is my second favorite and similar to the Unity.
View Quote

Why do you like the Unity? I checked it out, and the main difference is the ACRO integration seems lacking as compared to the ROF on the Reptilia.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Optic height is better for me with the Unity
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 3:03:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Just ordered a badger 1.7 mount and the j arm but just found out about reptilians offset mount on the top half of the ring.

Theoretically speaking, aside from aesthetics, are the ring tops interchangeable? As in putting the reptilia offset ring on the badger mount? A 1.7 with that offset red dot sounds lovely
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just ordered a badger 1.7 mount and the j arm but just found out about reptilians offset mount on the top half of the ring.

Theoretically speaking, aside from aesthetics, are the ring tops interchangeable? As in putting the reptilia offset ring on the badger mount? A 1.7 with that offset red dot sounds lovely
View Quote

Reptilia top ring mounts are only compatible with AUS and Geissele mounts.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh ok, makes sense. Either way, hope i like the 1.7
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh ok, makes sense. Either way, hope i like the 1.7
View Quote

The Badger T2 ring is legit, but their acro is just too tall, imo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I still like the LaRue and I do have a Reptilia that I like a lot. Both work fine but the Reptilia is a bit better in the Low Drag category. It’s slick sides doesn’t get caught up on gear but it’s not as easy to remove if a person wants to take it off the host weapon.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are 1.7" mounts mostly for nods or just for a more heads

I got my Geissele mount in and it's really nice.  I did a quick mount of my Eotech Vudu 1-10x and I like it.  Part of me kind of wishes I would have done an Eotech XPS and magnifier.  I guess I could always build another gun for the Eotech Vudu and switch this 14.5" Super Duty over to the XPS+magnifier.
View Quote

I like the way you think!!! Build another gun!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Many good options out there, but I still prefer Larue or ADM in that order. Any of the Geiselle/Badger/NF etc style are good too, but the QD capability and RTZ are hard to beat for the same and cheaper prices
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Many good options out there, but I still prefer Larue or ADM in that order. Any of the Geiselle/Badger/NF etc style are good too, but the QD capability and RTZ are hard to beat for the same and cheaper prices
View Quote

QD capability makes sense for a day and night gun where you will swap thermals and of scope vs rds on, but for a weapon where QD is used as an emergency backup plan, I think that merit has been relegated to history, as QD mechanisms are less reliable than the optics the mounts hold, nowadays. As to rtz, properly torqued Badger/NF/Reptilia/etc rtz fine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a Mark5HD 3 6-18× mounted in a Larue. It holds zero fine and the rifle it is on is a consistent .7 MOA rifle. Return to zero is also fine. Any click of 0.1 mil takes zero further away than just leaving it alone when removing/remounting. That is as good as any return to zero can be IMO... no clicks of adjustment needed.

Due to the split rings lack of top mounted ring mount for a dot, I mostly use Larues in LPVO roles, so I can access the BUIS if the scope goes down. And if I want a top mounted red dot, I don't have an objective bell to clear so a seperate ring mount is no problem. I don't use BUIS on precision rifles with a large objective normally but I frequently see BUIS need to be used... officer had his optic die at last quals and had to qual with BUIS. I had my LPVO battery die en route to a felony warrant service. Reticle was hard to see at 1x. Just removed scope and used BUIS.

In an LPVO role, to say the Larue in ANY way hiders any LPVO accuracy is just ridiculous IMO, especially if you dont have a high end stainless barrel. Because it doesn't hinder accuracy using larger scopes with Bartlein barrels and match grade ammo.

Perhaps it is more annoying to get level or not as absolutely tough as a bolt on mount, or wont return to zero as perfectly as a bolt on using torque wrenches, but in everyday real world use, you give up nothing in precision or return to zero. I could care less if my return to zero is only under 0.04 mils with a Larue and 0.02 mils with a bolt on mount using a torque wrench because neither requires a click to rezero.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top