AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 44
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How does a RIS differ from a RAS?

From Quarterbore:

Differences between these two units occur in the way that they attach to the handguard cap and delta ring/barrel nut, how the units are numbered, and the types of barrels that they can be used with

and

The R.A.S. system is the newer of the two systems and uses the same basic layout with a different system of attachment to the AR-15 and M-16. Knights manufacturing has a patent for the Rail Adapter Handguard System (US Patent# 5,826,363) and this patent contains an excellent description of their invention and the details about it. I also have scanned and converted my M5 RAS owners manual to a PDF file which you can see here (CLICK HERE).

The RAS system clamps to the handguard cap via a clip on the top half while the rear is attached by a clamping mechanism that fits over the M-16 gas tube and fits into a recess in the M-16’s barrel nut. This rear clamp is then tightened via a hex-head screw producing a very tight fit that prevents most movement as experienced in RIS units. The RAS also has a tighter profile at the front sight that limits the use of the RAS to barrels that measure 0.835" - 0.855" diameter just after the front sight tower.

The RAS is also different from the RIS is the way that they are numbered. The RAS units are numbered T-L-R-B 14 - 28 from the upper receiver forward. The Army and Marines use the RAS as it is sturdier for use with an M203 grenade launcher and other accessories that can be mounted to these units

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
From the pics I see the RIS is used on the MK18.

As I've stated before. The KAC RIS and RAS are in use with NSW.

Right, LMT and RAS are suppose to be in use, but all the pictures show Colt uppers and RIS handguards.  They are apparently more photogenic.

How many MK18's have you been around? A lot of the photos are from 01' to 02'. You've seen five photos and there are THOUSANDS of these issued.

If you still feel uncomfortable that "Colt" isn't the "sole provider" of the MK18 then do a search at www.tacticalforums.com . While your there search LMT and KAC RAS in the SEAL forum. You can also call LMT and talk to Gene and see what he has to say.

I get so tired of the armchair commando "Colt Geeks" around here. Go ahead and question me all you want..... but that still makes you a

I standby my comments, that Colt is more photogenic then LMT.  And so is the RIS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, LMT and RAS are suppose to be in use, but all the pictures show Colt uppers and RIS handguards.  They are apparently more photogenic.

How many MK18's have you been around? A lot of the photos are from 01' to 02'. You've seen five photos and there are THOUSANDS of these issued.

If you still feel uncomfortable that "Colt" isn't the "sole provider" of the MK18 then do a search at www.tacticalforums.com . While your there search LMT and KAC RAS in the SEAL forum. You can also call LMT and talk to Gene and see what he has to say.

I get so tired of the armchair commando "Colt Geeks" around here. Go ahead and question me all you want..... but that still makes you a

I standby my comments, that Colt is more photogenic then LMT.  And so is the RIS.

Like I said... Those photos are from late 01' to early 02' when NSW's Tier 1 unit were the only ones with the MK18. The RIS was issued in mass, and Crane was chopping down M4's at the time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Here is where I am coming from.  I am an active student in small arms, with the bulk of my research being related to Cold War Soviet and US infantry rifles.  Spec Ops weapons such as the MK18 are of interest to me, but not as much as others.  As such never even seen a MK18 and am not going to make an effort to see one.  Right now I am trying to find a US PROP marked M16A1 in the low 4 million range (don't think there is such a thing?).  A matter of priorities, and time management.

Quoted:
A lot of the photos are from 01' to 02'.

And alot of these pictures are from 03 and 06.  Not sure what you point here is, unless there is a timeline to go with who made what?  If there is one have not seen it posted.

Quoted:
If you still feel uncomfortable that "Colt" isn't the "sole provider" of the MK18 then do a search at www.tacticalforums.com . While your there search LMT and KAC RAS in the SEAL forum.

There are unumerous LMT/MK18 threads.  This is one of three I can think of where Colt was even mentioned.  The first one being about two months ago, while the LMT threads date back years..  I find that a bit odd considering all contractual documentation and photographs indicated this:

LMT buttstock:

www.fbodaily.com/archive/2005/12-December/14-Dec-2005/FBO-00950382.htm

LMT rear sight:

www.fbodaily.com/archive/2004/04-April/14-Apr-2004/FBO-00564127.htm

www.fbodaily.com/archive/2005/04-April/30-Apr-2005/FBO-00797625.htm

Colt Carbine and upper:

www.fbodaily.com/archive/2004/05-May/08-May-2004/FBO-00581273.htm

Am up on tacticalforums, read it regularly.  My experience is that end users are not always a good source of info.  I could provide numerous examples, but this is by far my favorite, and it is from tacticalforums:

Forgive me for thinking your company built the rifle from the ground up, but I do have the MK12 MOD1, which has your companies name and phone number stenciled all over it.

www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000669;p=1#000016

And BTW, most of the MK18 pics I have seen include a LMT rear sight, on the side in big letters they say LMT.

Quoted:
You've seen five photos and there are THOUSANDS of these issued.

Being there are thousands then it is just a matter of time before we have a document or photograph of a LMT upper/barrel.

Quoted:
You can also call LMT and talk to Gene and see what he has to say.

After the Bushmaster Desert Storm M4 Carbine contract fiasco I no longer consider manufacturers as a good source of info unless documentation is provided.

Quoted:
I get so tired of the armchair commando "Colt Geeks" around here.

I prefer the description of "Turd", but will take that under advisement, maybe put that in my signature?  

Any how, not saying that LMT only supplies the rear sight and buttstock for the MK18, just that is all that is documented.

In regards to the RAS, considering it is standard issue, no reason why you would not find one on a MK18.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said... Those photos are from late 01' to early 02' when NSW's Tier 1 unit were the only ones with the MK18. The RIS was issued in mass, and Crane was chopping down M4's at the time.

This photo is circa 2003:

BIG-ASSED HI-RES

But the Colt upper is a CAF forge code, which they have not used since 2002.  

This photo is circa 2006?:

i2.tinypic.com/qstnw0.jpg

Forge code indicates 2004-current production.

Don't know the date on this photo:

www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/060128-N-4374S-001.jpg

Forge code indicates 2004-current production.

Like I mentioned before, the dates maybe a clue, but I don't have a time line.

Anyhow, sorry if I come off as a "Colt geek" or whatever.  Am not Dan Rather, need proof before I run with a story.  As a result I tend to upset some.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
We have had this very same conversation before:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=261923&page=4
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:34:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who gives a shit what the real one has?  RAS sucks ass.  The URX looks good, but DD and Larue have KAC beat.

If you come into a thread with us, you should expect we are trying to build a clone of it.

We know the DD and Larue is better, we don't care.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Ekie,

Have you figured out what type of single point backplates are being used?  Most pictures show the same backplate style.

Scott

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a KAC RIS for three reasons:

1. I would not have to take off the gas system to install.
2. The Mk18 uses the RIS.
3. I had one lying around on a rifle I don't use and all of my RAS units were brand new.

Click for larger image.

I decided to chuck the LMT rear sight. I really think it is fugly. It also turned purple when I cleaned the upper. I love the KAC rear sights.

This is an AAC SCAR-SD suppressor.

I will get an Eotech 553 for it when I can get one in black. Do most all Mk18s have AIMPOINTS? I did see that one photo earlier in this thread with an Eotech.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
As soon as I get back from AK I will post Multiple pics of the MK 18 MMOD 0.  markings, barrels, whatever...

TAG
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ekie,

Have you figured out what type of single point backplates are being used?  Most pictures show the same backplate style.

Scott

Looks like a Dieter/CQD.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As soon as I get back from AK I will post Multiple pics of the MK 18 MMOD 0.  markings, barrels, whatever...

TAG

You are coming back from Alaska?  Wow!  Long way from your new home!!

I'm really tempted to build a clone of one of these...

I guess it wouldn't hurt to go all LMT and use the Defender lower as opposed to the Guardian, huh?

I'm only a lowly civilian.  

RSilvers-  I think someone mentioned earlier that the Mk18s come with the entire SOPMOD set of cool goodies.  It's only the "cool" guys that go out and get an Eotech for theirs!  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking forward to some detail pics Trav!

You guys are killing me.
I just started to commit to my XM177 clone and now this?!?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmm. This guy has a KAC 300 meter and Eotech. So it is ok for me to also I guess.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You'll still need a few rubber bands to round out the package.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ekie,

Scott

Looks like a Dieter/CQD.

I've handled several MK18's, and the backplate is, indeed, a Dieter.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
What is a backplate? Something that holds the sling where the buffer tube is?

Mine has a KAC quick release one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What is a backplate? Something that holds the sling where the buffer tube is?

Mine has a KAC quick release one.

yes, that's what he's talking about.

I like yours better FWIW.  

ETA:  did you guys notice how many hadjis were giving that guy dirty looks from down in the audience in the original full size pic?  

Some of them look downright "dishonest" and "shady"-  go figure!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagged for pics and info.

MN
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Ekie. Here is a recent post from a AR15 member. He's seen them first hand in use with SEALs. Still don't believe me?

FlyNavy
Team Member
go outside now.

Post Number :: 353

IRQ

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, until the LMT- 10.5's were a nightmare. People were putting fatboy gastubes, pigtails, modifying them and still praying. Well the LMT 10.5 is a Crane contract upper in use with the SEAL teams. I'm sure its in hands of other specops guys, but I can only say first hand I've seen SEALs use it. I've had the priviledge of being their taxi driver on a few occasions and for ship/oil rig takedown they LOVE them. I have fired 4 different ones and all were great. I asked them PLENTY of questions when I was planning my personal SBR build and I was convinced. FYI they were running KAC FS...basically like an A2 when the suppressor's not on it. You don't need any fancy gear on the business end to keep them cycling. You will NOT need or want to modify the gas system AT ALL.

I can't speak firsthand of any other SBR upper. But the LMT 10.5 runs 100% from the factory. I've never heard a bad thing about them on here or in the field except for possibly the ballistic limitations which are irrelevant to this talk.

The threads worshipping them are probably a year old already, but I'm sure some others in the NFA section could chime in. Wes at MSTN sells them and could add to my praise.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:20:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ekie. Here is a recent post from a AR15 member. He's seen them first hand in use with SEALs. Still don't believe me?

FlyNavy
Team Member
go outside now.

IRQ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, until the LMT- 10.5's were a nightmare. People were putting fatboy gastubes, pigtails, modifying them and still praying. Well the LMT 10.5 is a Crane contract upper in use with the SEAL teams. I'm sure its in hands of other specops guys, but I can only say first hand I've seen SEALs use it. I've had the priviledge of being their taxi driver on a few occasions and for ship/oil rig takedown they LOVE them. I have fired 4 different ones and all were great. I asked them PLENTY of questions when I was planning my personal SBR build and I was convinced. FYI they were running KAC FS...basically like an A2 when the suppressor's not on it. You don't need any fancy gear on the business end to keep them cycling. You will NOT need or want to modify the gas system AT ALL.

I can't speak firsthand of any other SBR upper. But the LMT 10.5 runs 100% from the factory. I've never heard a bad thing about them on here or in the field except for possibly the ballistic limitations which are irrelevant to this talk.

The threads worshipping them are probably a year old already, but I'm sure some others in the NFA section could chime in. Wes at MSTN sells them and could add to my praise.

We are not going to believe you until you post evidence of LMT uppers and barrels.  So far, nobody has been able to post any documentation or picture to prove the use of LMT uppers or barrels.

Try to get a picture of an upper with the "LMT" lasered into the left side of it and we will believe you.

"In use by Navy SEALS" is gunshow commando bullshit talk and is the first sign of incorrect information.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FlyNavy
Team Member
go outside now.

IRQ

We are not going to believe you until you post evidence of LMT uppers and barrels.  So far, nobody has been able to post any documentation or picture to prove the use of LMT uppers or barrels.

Try to get a picture of an upper with the "LMT" lasered into the left side of it and we will believe you.

"In use by Navy SEALS" is gunshow commando bullshit talk and is the first sign of incorrect information.

Take it for what its worth - and I cannot provide any specific link, photo, or documentation, but I get the feeling S-1, and FlyNavy's bona fides/credentials are genuine.

and ....Do we know if LMT lasers their .mil issued products like the civilian stuff?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:15:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Ditto on the CQD backplate, CQD front sling mount as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FlyNavy
Team Member
go outside now.

IRQ

Take it for what its worth - and I cannot provide any specific link, photo, or documentation, but I get the feeling S-1, and FlyNavy's bona fides/credentials are genuine.

and ....Do we know if LMT lasers their .mil issued products like the civilian stuff?

"Still don't believe me?"

With every new thread we get more info on this system, and I grow more suspicious.  Anyhow, we have had this exact conversation before, no need to go through it again.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've seen LMT Mk18 uppers in US force use with my eyes...
Lowers are all M4A1 from what I have seen.

Thanks for the info Kevin.  Did they have that LMT engraving on the upper receiver?

Quoted:
Same deal with the SPR/Mk12's - the lowers are not remarked as they are issued as a M4A1 and the specific kit is added at unit or subunit level.

I thought those were all issued on M16A1 lowers with Hydramatic being the most common?  A MK12 on a M4A1 lower sounds like a unit level swap out to me.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#28]
good thread
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Some got uppers only for the Mk12 -- I know that was the original plan - from when I saw one of the test bed ones at 1SFG pre 9/11 -- since then I have seen one Mk12 one a M4A1 lower

Understood that was the original plan, never heard of any "conversion kits" being sent out.  Take it those were early MK12 MOD 01's?

Quoted:
and there will be another shortly

Sounds like a conspiracy.

Quoted:
The mil LMT's I saw did not have the LMT laser etch (whatever it is)
I have seen a few civilian 10.5" LMT's w/o the etch as well...

That is going to make it tough to ID.  My guess is the only way to ID one of those from a Colt without taking the guards off is the lack of forge codes?

Quoted:
A sorta Mk18  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/Kevin115.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/Kevin113.jpg

Nice, me like.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#31]
What is an MRE?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Or the box it came in
One of the guys said it was LMT -- they had FF handguards put on at unit level...

Now your talking.  Yeah, the box is good.

Quoted:
Keep in mind a lot of the guys issued these are extremely photo adverse.- same sorta folk run MRE's on M4A1's and Hk416's...

You mean these guys:

Yeah, seems the SEALs are the only photogenic ones of the bunch.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have a bit longer to wait for naturalization - but it will be official and permanent...

Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

God, you guys are stupid. The "Colt Geek" logo under your name speaks volumes as to why you think you need to add to this thread.

I know that 95% of the SEAL issue shit is bullshit. My favorite is the "SEAL" Luminox watch. Never was issued and never will be.

This kind of crap is why a lot of people stay away from BARF.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info Kevin.  Did they have that LMT engraving on the upper receiver?

Let's see. A Moderator comes along that has been in the poop, states the same thing I've been telling you this whole time, and now the info is correct. I guess I have to become a moderator at BARF for my info to be legit.

Ekie, I'm sorry to say this, but you're a fucking TOOL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Lets get back on topic here soon. I don't want to see this locked.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Agreed.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's see. A Moderator comes along that has been in the poop, states the same thing I've been telling you this whole time, and now the info is correct. I guess I have to become a moderator at BARF for my info to be legit.

Or maybe you are acting like some interent commando and no one knows you and then someone who is known comes on and gives information so wo beleive him.

Maybe if you didnt act like a 13 year old brat people would take your opinion seriously.  

I just dont get why so many in your position act like you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Chris

+1

For once I'm not stirring shit and getting the thread closer to becoming locked.  Let's keep it that way
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or maybe you are acting like some interent commando and no one knows you and then someone who is known comes on and gives information so wo beleive him.

Maybe if you didnt act like a 13 year old brat people would take your opinion seriously.  

How about this. I came to the thread to help, give a little info and contribute. Ekie likes to come along and spew his crap in every thread. Trust me, I like Colt too Ekie.

Oh I forgot.... I have to be paying member and 10,000 posts in five months to not be called a liar when I post. Sorry, don't have time for that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about this. I came to the thread to help, give a little info and contribute. Ekie likes to come along and spew his crap in every thread. Trust me, I like Colt too Ekie.

Oh I forgot.... I have to be paying member and 10,000 posts in five months to not be called a liar when I post. Sorry, don't have time for that.

Every single tidbit of information is good stuff, it's up to the person reading it to sift thru and figure out what he believes to be real.

Given enough information on a subject one can compare notes and get to a logical conclusion.

Keep this stuff coming, you can never get too much info.
Facts and Proof are great but that aint easy to come by  

Keep the pictures flowing
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#48]
If anyone is looking for a Knight's M4-QD f/h, munyguru has one on the EE

I'd snag it, but I've got $$ tied up in my XM-thingy...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like a Colt 1911 pistol with a piece of tape around the grips and an extended magazine on that last picture of the SEAL checking the load of the other grunts.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Looks like a Colt 1911 pistol with a piece of tape around the grips and an extended magazine on that last picture of the SEAL checking the load of the other grunts.  

That dude's CAG, IIRC. They use M1911s from time to time.
Page / 44
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top