BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/3/2024 11:32:13 PM EDT
Whether you beat the crap out of it as a truck gun, hard use, 3 gun, or just been around and used for years, but still works fine. How long have you used it? And no I don’t mean flip up or fixed sights. I am talking Optics, Prisms, red dots, scopes, etc.Yes , I imagine there are some old threads on here like this but I want to see also how some of the modern optics are comparing. I want to make a an educated purchase for just general use, and don’t want to worry about every little bump if it is still holding zero. Thank you guys and gals for your time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon RX30 & RX01
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Trijicon TA01NSN
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Whether you beat the crap out of it as a truck gun, hard use, 3 gun, or just been around and used for years, but still works fine. How long have you used it? And no I don’t mean flip up or fixed sights. I am talking Optics, Prisms, red dots, scopes, etc.Yes , I imagine there are some old threads on here like this but I want to see also how some of the modern optics are comparing. I want to make a an educated purchase for just general use, and don’t want to worry about every little bump if it is still holding zero. Thank you guys and gals for your time.
View Quote

You do realize that this is going to boil down to basically an opinion poll based on what 90% of the membership has read about optics without any actual beating of them to death, right?!?

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Like most, I can only comment on the narrow slice of optics that I have actually owned.  For me, the Razor 1-6 has been a tank.  I own three of them and am issued one, and have abused them in 3-gun/2-gun/run and gun matches for like 10 years now.  The issued one bounces around in a rifle rack on patrol all day long, and maintains zero.  I was at a run and gun match years ago, and while I was running down a paved road, the sling unraveled through the little keeper thingie and my rifle fell off my back, falling directly on the optic with a sickening thud.  I thought for sure I had destroyed the optic.  Not only did I not break anything, the scope didn't even lose zero.  I'm a fan.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
TA-31a  ACOG

It just works.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
RMR and Aimpoint T1 and T2.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Nightforce NXS

I threw it (and the CZ 30.06 it was mounted on) about 25 feet when I stepped in a groundhog hole while running across a hayfield.

It held zero well enough to make a 400yd shot the next day
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Ta01 acog probably got abused the most.

Honestly lately I shoot pistols the most and the pistol dots these days are pretty tough. I've dropped holosuns square on the optic on concrete without losing zero.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Elcan Specter DR 1x/4x, my baby.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I dropped a rifle, optic first, on the concrete once. It hit on the optic so hard it snapped the ~1/4” steel bolt in the a.r.m.s. mount in two. The aimpoint m4 was still on zero when I got the new bolt and put it back together…so that’s my vote.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Look at .mil optics.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Trijicon TR24 in LaRue Mount. Dropped, banged into props, rained on. It has just worked for the last 13 years.
It’s now mounted on a Aug in a Warne mount.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Leupold LRT.  25 years old. Rock solid.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You do realize that this is going to boil down to basically an opinion poll based on what 90% of the membership has read about optics without any actual beating of them to death, right?!?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if it is based off personal experiences, without standardized test procedures, 1 person’s “beat to shit” isn’t necessarily anything close to another person’s.

Someone may think bouncing a rifle off the door frame of a car qualifies.

It’s all kinda pointless.

End of the day, as stated, look at .mil optics.  Anything being used there has likely been subjected to standardized destructive testing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Aimpoint PRO I carried on contract.   Kept working after my rifle was literally blown into 3rds.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Trijicon TA01NSN
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dropped a rifle, optic first, on the concrete once. It hit on the optic so hard it snapped the ~1/4” steel bolt in the a.r.m.s. mount in two. The aimpoint m4 was still on zero when I got the new bolt and put it back together…so that’s my vote.
View Quote

I dropped a rifle in a similar manner.  The optic was a Trijicon accupoint 1-4.  It landed hard enough to put a deep gouge in the scope.  It never lost zero.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#18]
A trijicon 3-9x accupoint on a Winchester model 70 that has been hunted hard and knocked around for 10 years.
Never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I've seen some things.

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Even if it is based off personal experiences, without standardized test procedures, 1 person’s “beat to shit” isn’t necessarily anything close to another person’s.

Someone may think bouncing a rifle off the door frame of a car qualifies.

It’s all kinda pointless.

End of the day, as stated, look at .mil optics.  Anything being used there has likely been subjected to standardized destructive testing.
View Quote

And that's the whole point.  OP would be better off reading customer reviews on Amazon or other vendors where those reviews are posted.  People are quick to complain when shit goes sour.

Or, as said, there are all kinds of guntubers that like to try and break shit and make a show if it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]
In the rds camp-
Aimpoint comp m4

Prism-
Acog

Scope-
1-8 atacr. I've seen a couple fall 10+ ft out of a rotary bird, hold zero, and continue on like nothing happened.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I forget the gentleman's name, but he was/is a socom armorer and posted around the time the socom SVS contract was completed. He mentioned that out of everything tested, the ATACR 1-8, NX8, and surprisingly the SWFA HD 1-6 scored highest in durability and reliability.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Friend of mine did a poll on SH years ago. It was more centered around precision optics failures. Nightforce won as the most durable.

Would be interesting if that still holds true, or if the field was expanded to include things like ACOGs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#24]
If it’s got Trijicon, aim point or Nightforce stamped on it I would feel pretty good about it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#25]
ACOG without a doubt.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If it’s got Trijicon, aim point or Nightforce stamped on it I would feel pretty good about it.
View Quote

This.  In fact short of a Holosun, that’s all I own.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Bushnell not on the list?
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Loving the answers, guess I have never owned quality optics so I ask questions. I still can’t believe some f those scopes have taken a beating and held zero. I have a Burris rt6 I just got , best I could afford and I am going to see how this turns out. Would love to have one of those razors, or an nx8, or Trijicon, but not possible. It is nice to know they are great. And, who knows maybe someday I maybe be able to get something better, but for now I am hoping this Burris works out. I am not beating it around or anything it is just scopes I bought in the past have bee cheap and if you bang it going out the door to go deer hunting it’s a foot off zero. No confidence in scopes, but this is the best quality I have had. Love to dream, and hear all your great stories though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Have acogs and aimpoints that I fully trust, but wouldn't say I abuse them.  I also have a ton of primary arms rds that get thrown on sxs guns and ride around in the back beds getting beat to shit.  They have all held up great so far.  

Had a vortex strike eagle take a fall onto concrete and it held zero just fine. Killed a few scopes in the cold and snow with moisture.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Hands down, the best, and by a pretty good margin, the repaired TA55A I had done about 18 years ago.
Second would have to go to the Comp M4s, and the TA11C and TA31F.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Sample size of one. Trijicon ten mile scope mounted on ar fell off bench landed on concrete on elevation turret. Held zero slightly scuffed turret cap.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same. If forced to choose I'll take an ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Why the acog is ARMY, MARINE, and APOCALYPSE approved.

ACOG.  Nothing else comes close (the new Sig Variable optics are pretty tough too though).

FYI, I had high hopes for the Primary Arms 3x Micro prism.  Did a 5 foot drop test with it mounted on a loaded rifle onto grass / dirt and the zero was so far off that it wouldn't even hit paper at 15 yards.  It wasn't from the mount being off either, I had it directly screwed into the carry handle, and it was such a tight fit that it was basically mounted in place even before the screw!

I found a good fool proof way to determine the toughness of an optics is to call the manufacturer and ask them what recoil it is rated for.  The toughest optics will have no listed limits, even 50BMG (See Sig Optics).  Not so tough optics (like PSA) will typically say .308, or some other low medium caliber threshold.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Look at .mil optics.
View Quote

There are many exceptions to that rule.  

The government buys crap all the time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I forget the gentleman's name, but he was/is a socom armorer and posted around the time the socom SVS contract was completed. He mentioned that out of everything tested, the ATACR 1-8, NX8, and surprisingly the SWFA HD 1-6 scored highest in durability and reliability.
View Quote

SWFA optics are well known for their durability.

Well worth the read. The only durability optics testing that I’m aware of.

https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Tacpoint aimpoint copy I put on an FNC machine gun probably 15 years ago. Shot a ton, never babies, dropped, you name it. Holds zero and just keeps working. I thought it finally gave up the ghost but it was just the battery.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Aim point red dots. Comp4's and a couple Pros.

I own 4, going back 20 years on a couple. They just work. They come off when I clean the rifles. They go back on and hold zero like they never came off.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Similar: I had a rifle slide off the workbench and fall scope-first on the concrete floor. It smooshed the tube in enough that I had to bend it back with pliers to remove the shadow on the image. Checked zero, and it was unchanged. I put a flip-up cover on it to hide the damage.

It was an entry-level Leupold 3-9 that cost about $175.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Aimpoint T2 and Trijicon ACOG
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#40]
any Aimpoint model, Elcans, TA31RCO-M4 Acog's, and just about anything Nightforce makes
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I own an optics company and have access to several lines. Right now my favorite is by far the March Optics 1-10 and 1.5-15 DFP optics. I've been running them in multigun and have done all I can within reason to punish these optics.  Thus far, they are running flawless. The 1-10 has,enough rounds under it that I finally had to replace the barrel of that rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#42]
You would be better off asking about failures. I have had VERY few optic failures. A Deltapoint Pro is one. It is kind of delicate IMO. I had the illumination knob go bad on a Meopta after 10+ years of use. Had a Kobra on an AK that had mulriple small LED that made up one of the reticles go out and also the power knob went out and it was stuck in on position. That about covers it for my personal failures.

Seen a lot of others.  Like an Aimpoint T1 that my boss rotated the elevation to the end and it popped off the end and would not dial back. He had it refurbished by Aimpoint who said they fixed that issue on new turrets. Bought that from him for $200 when it came back and it has been great ever since.

Come to think of it, 90% of all the optic failures I have seen have been red dots of some type.

Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look at .mil optics.

Truth.

But there is a long list of proven winners in that supply chain to chose from.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Back story?
View Quote

If o am remembering correctly that rifle in the pic was in a safe during a home fire.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If o am remembering correctly that rifle in the pic was in a safe during a home fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back story?

It looks the part.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#49]
On the budget end of things:

Primary Arms Cyclops.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#50]

But, did it hold zero
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top