Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

What about a 10.5" barrel?  I built my buffer-less tube-less AR pistol with one, and i can say it would do some damage.
Once shot it down into a creek at floating targets and it made a rather explosive splash... (not exactly quantifyable i know)
If nothing else, a 7.5" could potentially give the BG (and shooter ) a concussion...
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/AR%20Pistol/DSCN0445.jpg

I have a photo of a Toyota Hi-Lux I lit up at a check point. It was me and a SPC who had an M4. We each dumped a mag into the asshole inside. It seemed like it took about a million years and a million rounds just to punch a hole through the windsheild to hit the guy inside. The guy inside not only lived, but I saw him driving around about 6 weeks later.

SBRs are toys. Period. They are not serious tools. Maybe with a .357SIG or a 10mm or something, but that whopping 1200FPS MV max from a 5.56 SBR is a sad joke. I will never use anything less than a 16 inch with M193 for self defense ever again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone actually use them? I was under the impression cops carry them in their trunks and cqb operators like them?

They are next to useless.  Pretty much a range toy.  Why have something that heavy without shoulder stabilization?

I wouldn't say they are "next to useless". I don't have any accuracy or reliability issues.

What is the point of them?  Combining the weight of a rifle with the lack of shoulder stabilization and poor ballistics of a pistol?  I don't think they see any real world use outside of the range toy realm.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Some guns are just for fun anyways.

I use my 7.5" for small game (up to coyote) and as a "tractor rifle".  Poor ballistics may ass.  The stock takes up more space than the buffer tube, no matter what sort of math you use.  My pistol is easier to stow than a carbine or an SBR.  I know because I have tried all 3 configurations.  In fact, I carry it almost every day.  Tried a rifle, tried out a carbine, tried SBR, but pistol configuration is just more portable.  I actually kill things with it(pest control), and since I got my 22lr kit is my new absolute favorite beater.  It goes wherever I go.  I'm not saying that I'd prefer to use it in a combat zone,  but for me it's far, far from a range toy.

I have trouble even conceiving why a special unit would want to use AR pistols.  And I have only ever seen 1 example.  The aforementioned dillholes who really don't like that 1 guy.

Which leads me to believe that this whole thread is a ruse.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about a 10.5" barrel?  I built my buffer-less tube-less AR pistol with one, and i can say it would do some damage.
Once shot it down into a creek at floating targets and it made a rather explosive splash... (not exactly quantifyable i know)
If nothing else, a 7.5" could potentially give the BG (and shooter ) a concussion...

I have a photo of a Toyota Hi-Lux I lit up at a check point. It was me and a SPC who had an M4. We each dumped a mag into the asshole inside. It seemed like it took about a million years and a million rounds just to punch a hole through the windsheild to hit the guy inside. The guy inside not only lived, but I saw him driving around about 6 weeks later.

SBRs are toys. Period. They are not serious tools. Maybe with a .357SIG or a 10mm or something, but that whopping 1200FPS MV max from a 5.56 SBR is a sad joke. I will never use anything less than a 16 inch with M193 for self defense ever again.

"Actual chronographs of MK262 (77gr) have shown the muzzle velocity to be approximately 2360 FPS from a 10.5” barrel."
Thread Here

I don't think anyone disagrees that 5.56 is marginal at best for auto-glass penetration, regardless of projectile type/weight...
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why do so many special units use the sig 556 and other ar pistols?

INTERNET COMMANDOS!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do so many special units use the sig 556 and other ar pistols?

INTERNET COMMANDOS!!!

TXL

^This.  
They are fun, and mine is dependable, and i'm sure it would put a BG down for the count,
but i wouldn't use it for SD given a choice, for a number of reasons...

and someone may be misinterpreting the meaning of the word "special"

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup this one just happens to have my 22 kit in it right now. But that's what I usually keep in this one since I have 4 other ones. 20" ,16", 16" dedicated 22 that appears to be 14.5", and 2  7.5".
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/Idge0/22conver.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/Idge0/0415092028a.jpg
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't mind shooting through walls. This or a Glock? 101 rounds in that drum.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/Idge0/0521091734a.jpg
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it has a collapsing wire stock, try again

True, the real ones did have that.  The one pictured is some dude's pistol clone of the real SBR.

You both struck out.

look at the picture....it is a real one from autoweapons.com. Look at the trigger pins...

the prototypes had the wire stocks, but most were not supplied when the M231 was issued.

Job well done!

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not saying I've seen every rifle and pistol in service,  but I can say I've never seen any military unit use an AR pistol.  Ever.  Anywhere.

The US MILITARY DOES NOT USE THE AR PISTOL. They do have new "micros" but those are SBR. Due to the fact we (unfortunately) are a member of NATO, our handguns are chambered in 9mm unless you belong to SOCOM and have the flexibility they do. There are contractors out there that use the AR-Pistol on deployments.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is the deal with 7.5" AR pistols (at least what I believe):
-Most know their AR pistol is a range toy and use it that way
-The above people doesn't care so much about ballistics as long as it makes a big flash and a big boom
-Some people might use their AR pistol for home defense due to a lack of knowledge of better options, or keep the option open if their main gun(s) go down
-A few might use it as an easy to hide truck (or tractor) gun
-A very few might use it for small animals
-A very very very very very very very very tiny percent of uneducated cops might use it (or don't realize the departments qualify to get SBR's)
-Those that are serious about having a short barrel AR defensive gun will buy the tax stamp to get a SBR so it can be shoulder fired (and probably go with a 10.5"+ barrel)
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you think it would have turned out if you were using a 10.5" SBR in 6.8SPC?
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you think it would have turned out if you were using a 10.5" SBR in 6.8SPC?

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you don't mind shooting through walls. This or a Glock? 101 rounds in that drum.

I would take the Glock any day. I would prefer to hit my target through aimed fire. Who cares if you have 101 rounds? You're gonna need them to hit anything.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would take the Glock any day. I would prefer to hit my target through aimed fire. Who cares if you have 101 rounds? You're gonna need them to hit anything.

or

I have both...

But yes, in a room/house, the Glock would be my choice between the two as well....
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not saying I've seen every rifle and pistol in service,  but I can say I've never seen any military unit use an AR pistol.  Ever.  Anywhere.

The US MILITARY DOES NOT USE THE AR PISTOL. They do have new "micros" but those are SBR. Due to the fact we (unfortunately) are a member of NATO, our handguns are chambered in 9mm unless you belong to SOCOM and have the flexibility they do. There are contractors out there that use the AR-Pistol on deployments.

What's your point and have you read the entire thread? And what's with the smartass GIF?
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't consider my pistol a range toy.  

Barnes 62gr TSX recovered at 50 yards from a 7.5" barrel.  M855 will defeat soft body armor with a 7.5" barrel.  They do tend to tumble after defeating body armor.  

Some velocity info.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice ballistic charting. It is nice to see actual numbers. My 8.5" barrel with 55 gr. FMJ has no problems punching holes in 1/4" plate at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't consider my pistol a range toy.  

Barnes 62gr TSX recovered at 50 yards from a 7.5" barrel.  M855 will defeat soft body armor with a 7.5" barrel.  They do tend to tumble after defeating body armor.  

http://members.cox.net/smashbang/FG.jpg

Some velocity info.

http://members.cox.net/smashbang/PV2.jpg

What were you shooting into?  Was it ballistic gelatin or a similar material?
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Just good old wet newspaper.  It's a reasonable substitute for dense muscle tissue, cheap and easy to work with outdoors.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/wetpak.htm
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top