Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
25-223 (Page 15 of 46)
Page / 46
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:14:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 320pf] [#1]
Originally Posted By precisionpredators:

I will also continue work up and shoot a variety of bullets including some listed as not being able to work in this case. If they don't work, I will post it, but I suspect several will be. 2 are already off list, 110gr Nosler Accubond and the load I shot today using the Speer 87gr TNT's.  I get that there may be feed issues, I just haven't had them yet....we will see.

Do you really think that the 110 gn Nosler Accubonds "fit" in the 25x45mm? At 1.195 inches in length, the 110 gn Nosler Accubonds are about 0.7 inches into the case and your photo shows that you are pretty far up on the ogive. Your photo also indicates that the deformation on the tip shortened the overall length of the bullet by about 0.04 to 0.06 inches, allowing you to seat the bullet out further than if the bullet was not deformed. (Note: The deformed tips will most likely screw up the flight characteristics of the bullet as well.)

Just because you can get it to shoot and feed in your gun does not mean it fits and will group well.  As far as "off the list", the dimension restrictions of the magazine, case length, and bullet length/shape are what they are!

Also, your first report indicates that you only loaded up 6 or 7 rounds.  Was that in a 30-round mag.? For hunting, loading only 6-7 rounds works. However, I would like to see how well the various rounds that you made up feed/work out of a full mag.

Good luck with your project and let use know how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 320pf:

I will also continue work up and shoot a variety of bullets including some listed as not being able to work in this case. If they don't work, I will post it, but I suspect several will be. 2 are already off list, 110gr Nosler Accubond and the load I shot today using the Speer 87gr TNT's.  I get that there may be feed issues, I just haven't had them yet....we will see.

Do you really think that the 110 gn Nosler Accubonds "fit" in the 25x45mm? At 1.195 inches in length, the 110 gn Nosler Accubonds are about 0.7 inches into the case and your photo shows that you are pretty far up on the ogive. Your photo also indicates that the deformation on the tip shortened the overall length of the bullet by about 0.04 to 0.06 inches, allowing you to seat the bullet out further than if the bullet was not deformed. (Note: The deformed tips will most likely screw up the flight characteristics of the bullet as well.)

Just because you can get it to shoot and feed in your gun does not mean it fits and will group well.  As far as "off the list", the dimension restrictions of the magazine, case length, and bullet length/shape are what they are!

Also, your first report indicates that you only loaded up 6 or 7 rounds.  Was that in a 30-round mag.? For hunting, loading only 6-7 rounds works. However, I would like to see how well the various rounds that you made up feed/work out of a full mag.

Good luck with your project and let use know how it goes.

Nope 20 rd mag.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to shoot the 110 gn Nosler Accubonds trim the tip. I have done it with 95gr Ballistic tips in my 6x45 with great results. I use a $2 pair of gate cutters from Harbor Freight, they cut flat, dikes leave a peak, then I use my wife's nail file and sand till you see copper.

That will get you past the ogive, and give you more room for powder. It had no impact on accuracy, I am getting 3/4 MOA, and better when I do my part. On the 6x45 it was not a ogive problem, I wanted more powder capacity.

Good luck. Paul
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 1-Wolverine:
If you want to shoot the 110 gn Nosler Accubonds trim the tip. I have done it with 95gr Ballistic tips in my 6x45 with great results. I use a $2 pair of gate cutters from Harbor Freight, they cut flat, dikes leave a peak, then I use my wife's nail file and sand till you see copper.

That will get you past the ogive, and give you more room for powder. It had no impact on accuracy, I am getting 3/4 MOA, and better when I do my part. On the 6x45 it was not a ogive problem, I wanted more powder capacity.

Good luck. Paul

I see a market for a bullet tip trim die.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 1-Wolverine:

Good luck. Paul

I really have little interest in shooting the heavier bullets but if I did I would more than likely do this on some of them. I agree its about more powder. I hope to find a fast and accurate predator load prior to the weather turning....I also hope to see some of the new bullets for predator hunting I hear whispers about. Right now the 70, 75, and 85gr bullets have a lot to offer for coyote hunting in the 25cal world.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Ill be hopping on this train soon
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You should enjoy the ride.  Mine has lived up to all of the hype and then some.  With 100 gr. bullets at 2500 fps it is a major jump in energy over the 5.56 and the 25/223 (or 25AR) has proven to be a very accurate round.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#8]
On the subject of deformed bullet noses, one of the major gun mags ran a fairly extensive test of deformed lead softpoint bullets. Their published results indicated there was no appreciable decrease in accuracy, at least out to 100 yards. I want to say this test was run in the 1970's but I'm not sure, it's a few years back anyway.

I picked up a bunch of .25 "blems" from Midway's recent sale. Figure they'll be good enough for load development.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LtBlue425:
On the subject of deformed bullet noses, one of the major gun mags ran a fairly extensive test of deformed lead softpoint bullets. Their published results indicated there was no appreciable decrease in accuracy, at least out to 100 yards. I want to say this test was run in the 1970's but I'm not sure, it's a few years back anyway.

I picked up a bunch of .25 "blems" from Midway's recent sale. Figure they'll be good enough for load development.

DR. Franklin Mann did that type of study in 1909 and found that deforming the tip of the bullet did very little to effect accuracy.  Deforming the base of the bullet or the crown of the barrel did have a large detriment to accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]
are any of you guys running a 6.8 Muzzle device w/o a prob? I would think itd be fine as its .277" and 25AR is .257".

Just would like some clarification is all. build components are starting to show up  
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
are any of you guys running a 6.8 Muzzle device w/o a prob? I would think itd be fine as its .277" and 25AR is .257".

Just would like some clarification is all. build components are starting to show up  

Yes, the barrels are threaded 5/8x24 and I'm running a Surefire MB68AR on mine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
thank you wombat
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]
thank you wombat

I use a PWS FSC 30.  The compensating effect is great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By chewbacca:
thank you wombat

I use a PWS FSC 30.  The compensating effect is great.

Yup thats what ive settled on, met up with 320, got my barrel. My prs, BCG, fsc, PRS and small misc parts should be here by fri. Then ill just be waiting on upper and rail.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
So ive been doin some research, It seems h335 is the go to powder so far, has anyone tried IMR 3031 yet? I skimmed the thread but didnt really see it listed?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:25:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Altair] [#16]
So ive been doin some research, It seems h335 is the go to powder so far, has anyone tried IMR 3031 yet? I skimmed the thread but didnt really see it listed?

Yes.  The burn rate should be spot on but it is way to bulky.  You can't get enough in the case to begin to get decent velocities with it.  I gave up with 3031 very quickly.

ETA:  I've gotten decent results with H4198 and I believe others have had success with Re7 but I haven't tried that one myself yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Altair:

Yes.  The burn rate should be spot on but it is way to bulky.  You can't get enough in the case to begin to get decent velocities with it.  I gave up with 3031 very quickly.

ETA:  I've gotten decent results with H4198 and I believe others have had success with Re7 but I haven't tried that one myself yet.

I had about the same results.  IMR3031 wouldn't give me the velocity needed before it fills the case.  About the same with IMR4198 and RL7.  After trying everything I had and then everything my local stores had, I've settled on the H335 and H322.  Until something new comes along, my load testing is complete and I've started loading in bulk.  Now I just need a deer or two to help test the Sierra 100 gr. bullets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:19:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scatterbrains] [#18]
How about the new powders from alliant, Varmint and AR comp. You guys try them yet?  I cant find them on a burn chart though. Was also looking at ramshot X-terminator.

So you guys are pretty much sticking with spherical powders then?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Just running this through QL H335 & ramshot X-terminator are at the top of the pile with fills in the mid to upper 90s. H322 is at 100% fill with nearly 100fps loss comapred to the first 2 powders mentioned. Ran it will 87gSpeer & 100g speer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#20]
How about the new powders from alliant, Varmint and AR comp. You guys try them yet?  I cant find them on a burn chart though. Was also looking at ramshot X-terminator.

I emailed Alliant about their new Power Pro Varmit and they said the burn rate is around the discontinued Reloader 12.  I have rounds loaded up with this powder but just haven't been able to shoot due to an injury.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]

I emailed Alliant about their new Power Pro Varmit and they said the burn rate is around the discontinued Reloader 12.  I have rounds loaded up with this powder but just haven't been able to shoot due to an injury.

oh that could be a good thing
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 9:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: precisionpredators] [#22]
Well finally had a little time to start doing more than just shoot all different types and weights of bullets. Everything I have loaded has fired....doesn't mean that's what I am going to use as I am a Predator Hunter much more than a paper shooter. I will be running 100gr Sierra SP though on a Hog hunt down in Texas if I can pull that together in a month or so, my main gun will be my 25x45 this winter for predator hunting.

I have been working a lot with the Vmax 75gr, Nosler 85gr BT, and 70gr Sierra BK. Spent quite a bit of time using AA2015, 10X, Varget, 8208, 3031, and H335. I finally think I found my load using H335. I tried it last because its so dirty but given the number of rounds I shoot in a hunting season I doubt its going to really effect me. All I do is bore snake my rifle anyway besides wipe out and off. I guess I will end up taking the bolt apart every couple of months to really clean it as the cold can reek havick on a dirt weapon.

The load ended up being H335   26.5gr  w/ Sierra 70gr BK  cci 400primer,  of course just seated to mag length. The 70gr BK are proven coyote thumpers so hopefully they will do their job if I do mine.

One thing I did find with the 25x45 case is when you a resizing the 223 case is you need to be easy running the expander ball or you will split the neck if you just run it too fast.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Good to hear, that range is a mess!
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Good to hear, that range is a mess!

LOL...glad I stick to just shooting

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I think I finally have my deer rifle set up now.

Switched to one of my lowers with a collapsible stock (my 12 year old daughter is also going to try hunting with it this year), also got a shorter free float tube for it and put the Redfield 1-4X scope in a SWFA mount.

It's been shooting pretty well with the 87 gr Hornady Spire Points.

Now if the deer will just walk in front of it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Now if the deer will just walk in front of it.

You aren't the only one waiting.  I've had mine setup and ready to go since the end of deer season LAST year!  If nothing else I would love to try it out on a nice buck.  Between the 25/223 and the 7.62x40WT the only thing I have been able to test them on is one lonely coyote.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Well my daughter gets first chance with it.

We have a youth hunting day on the 24th of September here in va.  Kids 15 and under get to hunt, but they have to be accompanied by a non hunting adult.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I went and got the Chrony out and loaded 5 rds w/ H335 26.5gr & Sierra 70gr BK. 2 errors and 3 reports one 2989 and one 2893....I took a photo of the middle one. Still little doubt in my mind a 70gr .257 bullet moving at this speed will put the absolute smack down on a coyote.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Those Chrony's are just garbage though, made the mistake of buying one a little while back...It never works 100 % ever, It was put out of its misery recently by
accident via Ruger LCP .380 Auto...

If you get a chance to buy a Competition Electronics Pro Digital Chrono on sale, its well worth the few extra bucks.

Nice work on your 25X45 wildcat by the way...
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Competition Electronics Pro Digital Chrono

Just picked one up a few months ago to replace a 20 year old unit and couldn't be happier.  It has yet to have the first bad reading in all types of light.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#31]
SUCH an interesting wildcat! Seems far more versitle than the actual .223 caliber. If i get into reloading im definately setting this up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Nasty_Nate:
SUCH an interesting wildcat! Seems far more versitle than the actual .223 caliber. If i get into reloading im definately setting this up.

It's a good excuse to get into reloading.  You will quickly learn all the reloading skills working with the .25-223.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By VaFish:
Originally Posted By Nasty_Nate:

It's a good excuse to get into reloading.  You will quickly learn all the reloading skills working with the .25-223.

It was the 300/221 (now 300BLK) that got me started reloading.  I should have done it much sooner, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#34]
So, given the performance envelope of this round, what would be considered THE ultimate barrel configuration?  Something like an 18 middie SPR-ish?  Just thinking of something to start planning on for when I return...
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MartytW:
So, given the performance envelope of this round, what would be considered THE ultimate barrel configuration?  Something like an 18 middie SPR-ish?  Just thinking of something to start planning on for when I return...

I like the 16" in this caliber but for the same reasons I like the 16" in 5.56 and 7.62x40.  Of course the 25 isn't as efficient as the 7.62x40 in a short barrel but it is more efficient than the 5.56.   From s 16" the 25 gets a bullet at is roughly 30% heavier than an equivalent 5.56 bullet going roughly the same velocity.  I think the 5.56 is better suited to longer barrels while I think the 7.62x40 will really shine in SBR's.  The 25 is the compromise between the two.

A 16" is such a handy compromise between velocity and handling.  Since the 25 isn't a long range round I don't feel the need for the extra barrel length and small gain in velocity.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 3:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wombat25] [#36]
Originally Posted By MartytW:

I went with exactly the configuration you describe (18" barrel with a midlength gas system) and gave the matter a lot of consideration before making my decision.

I wanted to use the rifle for hunting, so every bit of velocity and terminal performance was important to me. At the same time however, I recognized that a 20" barrel generally requires a slightly longer handguard and just handles differently. The 18" split the difference between the 16" and the 20" and has worked very well.

I believe the real-world ballistic advantage of that two-inch barrel-length difference, though, is very marginal for this cartridge.

ETA: Picture of the 18" middy:

Link Posted: 8/29/2011 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a 16" midlength barrel for mine after talking with 320, it seemed to be the ticket for my build, i lose a little but IMO i dont see it as a bad thing.

Link Posted: 8/29/2011 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I built a 16" because I knew my 12 year old daughter would be one of the users.

If I build another one it will be a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#39]

SAAMI finally got around to publishing publicly the specifications for the 25-45 Sharps

Here is the link: SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS 25-45 SHARPS

Nice rifle and kill on the hog above.....and we completely agree on the configuration. We are releasing 3 models, all mid-length gas ports with the most decked out model being the 18" barrel, but we'll have a 16" and 20" as well.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SharpsMilSpec-Mike:

SAAMI finally got around to publishing publicly the specifications for the 25-45 Sharps

Nice rifle and kill on the hog above.....and we completely agree on the configuration. We are releasing 3 models, all mid-length gas ports with the most decked out model being the 18" barrel, but we'll have a 16" and 20" as well.

Mike

So what's the bottom line, is it simply a 223 neck up period?
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Mike

Seems some of the numbers say its got some diff case dimensions from the 223

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Mike

It's pretty much a straight neck up....we did play with the body dimensions a little to help with feeding in semi-autos, overall, still within the 8 thou tolerances of the 5.56mm case so still can claim a true parent relationship.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Good deal whos on board with factory ammo
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#44]

We are a full licensed manufacture, but our big buddy in the initial offering is Federal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Mike

It's pretty much a straight neck up....we did play with the body dimensions a little to help with feeding in semi-autos, overall, still within the 8 thou tolerances of the 5.56mm case so still can claim a true parent relationship.

So dies for your cartridge won't work for our 25-223 wildcat?
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Mike

That's the problem with wildcats and why I published the data, is since there isn't a universal standard for the 25-223 and anyone making a reamer is free to optimize it, I'm not sure what dimensions folks are using and even if I had a pretty good idea, legal would have my butt in a sling for making a statement about it. This way you can call your chamber reamer or die manufacturer and see what their chamber/cartridge dimensions are for their version of the wildcat 25-223 vs what we've standardized and hopefully they can render an opinion as to how close our call outs are to whatever prints they are using for their chambers and dies.

I know that's not the clear answer, but its the best I can give with the limitations I'm working under. Again, your chamber reamer mfg should be able to tell you pretty quickly, if they didn't provide you with a print, how closely we match up. I'm sure some of the very experienced folks on here that are private guys and freer to render an opinion might hop on and do so over the holiday as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Link Posted: 9/2/2011 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Mike.....

The Redding die offer you made a month or so ago....whats the status of that looking like?
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Mike

I can't find my good calipers at the moment, but I did take some measurements with my cheap ones.

The big difference between a case fired from my barrel I got from 320pf and the drawing Mike posted is the case length.  Since Mikes drawing has a longer case neck I think you would be fine using a set of .25-45 Sharps dies to load for our .25-223.  IF the expanded is designed to neck up .223 brass.  CH4D could probably tell you how close their dies are to Mikes drawing.

I don't have 320pf's chamber drawing, but I would bet money that after our shorter neck the chamber steps down to near bullet diameter.  IF you could get a commercial .25-45 Sharps round to chamber I would bet it would be very tight on the case neck and probably raise pressure dramatically.  I would not use .25-45 Sharps cases without trimming them first.  Definetly would not recommend using .25-45 Sharps commercial ammo in our .25-223 rifles with barrels from 320pf.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#49]
The 25x45 will not fit in a 25-223 chamber. Locks it up solid like I knew it would......I just tried to feed a 25x45 round in my 25-223 to make sure and it was a No Go

I measured a couple of fired cases from my 25x45 and the specs are Very close to the Sharps drawing and I suspect that the reamers were cut off the same drawing as I believe the reamers both came from CH4D. I will ask Carl at Black Hole if indeed this is how it went down. I trim the LC brass to 223 lengths prior to resizing it. then just run it through the 25-223 sizing die.

I meant to post it sooner but forgot, my 25x45 build cost;

Barrel 20" Varmint Contour Polygonal 3 groove target crowned: $330.00
Rock River BCG:                                                                               $ 99.00
Charging Handle:                                                                               $ 12.00
Specialized Dynamics Upper receiver kit w/ Rifle Length             $212.00
Handguard, fw assist, dustcover, gas tube, barrel nut, and
gas block
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#50]
The 25x45 will not fit in a 25-223 chamber. Locks it up solid like I knew it would......I just tried to feed a 25x45 round in my 25-223 to make sure and it was a No Go

So you have a Sharps 25-45?  or just some ammo for it?
Page / 46
25-223 (Page 15 of 46)
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top