User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
6.8 SPC Build (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2024 10:58:36 AM EDT
I want a 6.8 SPC upper to hunt hogs and deer with. I have several AR-15 5.56 rifles. I found a PSA 18' Mid length 6.8 SPC II 1/11 Stainless Steel 1;11 twist rate 15 "Hex M-Lock upper with BCG&CH.   Do I need a 6.8 SPC dedicated lower? or can I use my current AR-15 5.56 lower?. Do I need to purchase 6.8 SPC Magazines?. I am new to the 6.8 SPC caliber game. I appreciate your help and advise.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Just use your lower.  It will never know the distance.

Greg
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 12:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwlaxton] [#2]
You can use a standard receiver set, and the only difference between 5.56 and 6.8 is the barrel, bolt, and mags. For standard AR15 receiver sets I use the mags made by both ASC and PRI specifically for the 6.8 SPC.  

LWRC has a custom Six8 receiver set for the 6.8 SPC (larger magwell), that uses special 10, 20, and 30 round Magpul magazines that won't fit in a standard receiver set.  I've used them also, and they are nice.  The only disadvantage is that the lowers aren't interchangeable with standard AR15 uppers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 12:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phobby] [#3]
Standard lowers work all day, buy 6.8 magazines for proper feeding.

Hornady SST or Winchester Deer Season XP
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Bolt, Barrel, and magazines

I highly recommend WILSON COMBATS  
Lightweight 16” barrel
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You need new mags, I’m not sure anymore which is the best steel mag but the LWRCI Six8 receiver and magazines are wonderful and if you can afford it get that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Reddtv:
I want a 6.8 SPC upper to hunt hogs and deer with. I have several AR-15 5.56 rifles. I found a PSA 18' Mid length 6.8 SPC II 1/11 Stainless Steel 1;11 twist rate 15 "Hex M-Lock upper with BCG&CH.   Do I need a 6.8 SPC dedicated lower? or can I use my current AR-15 5.56 lower?. Do I need to purchase 6.8 SPC Magazines?. I am new to the 6.8 SPC caliber game. I appreciate your help and advise.
View Quote

You only need a 6.8 barrel, bolt and mags.
PRI makes the best mags for standard lowers.
The best bullets and ammo are Cavity Back Bullets MKZ 105gr and 120gr.
If you reload the best brass is Sellier & Bellot. CBB carries that to.
They also carry the PRI mags.

Link Posted: 7/31/2024 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jwlaxton:

LWRC has a custom Six8 receiver set for the 6.8 SPC (larger magwell), that uses special 10, 20, and 30 round Magpul magazines that won't fit in a standard receiver set.  I've used them also, and they are nice.  The only disadvantage is that the lowers aren't interchangeable with standard AR15 uppers.
View Quote

Built one around that. Though nice as a matched set I ditched it for the reasons you listed. I turned a Noveske 5.56 into a 6.8 SPC after that. Like it much better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#8]
ARP barrels from Blackstone Arms
Are the best
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Blackstone arms barrel or upper and pri magazines are the way to go as has already been stated.  6.8 bolt also, Blackstone has a couple of options also.  Cavity back bullets and Druid hill armory have higher velocity spc ii spec ammo.  S&B fmj and hpbt ammo are go to range ammo, their brass is the best for reloading.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Yama_Raja:

View Quote

This. And listen to this guy. He's pushed 6.8spc II to the limits, and is as knowledgeable as anyone, more than most, when it comes to 6.8. Also, check out the 6.8 forums. Lot's of great info there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I killed my last bull elk with a 12.5” 6.8 using 120gr MKZ.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for the information. I will purchase magazines from the recommended sources. And reloading supplies. I do have another question. Is the US commercial market in danger of running out of 6.8 SPC II ammo? I do re load, but I also want the option to purchase commercially available ammunition. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Colt653:
Bolt, Barrel, and magazines
I highly recommend WILSON COMBATS  
Lightweight 16” barrel
View Quote

This, that's what i went with on my last one.
Don't cheap out on the most important part.
Wilson or ARP(or whatever the new name is).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the information. I will purchase magazines from the recommended sources. And reloading supplies. I do have another question. Is the US commercial market in danger of running out of 6.8 SPC II ammo? I do re load, but I also want the option to purchase commercially available ammunition. Thanks again.
View Quote

Factory loaded S&B ammo is available in waves.  They make a 110gr FMJ, 115gr bthp, and 110gr poly tip…. All have been accurate in my rifles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:03:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Normlizer] [#16]
Anybody try the White Oaks 18" barrel?
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#17]
Originally Posted By Normlizer:
Anybody try the White Oaks 18" barrel?
View Quote

I had the White Oak 16" before the Wilson Combat.

It was excellent too, but I wanted something lighter for hunting

Old pic

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

S&B, ppu and federal make fmj/hpbt ammo.  Hornady has the 120 grain sst and 110 vmax.  Wilson combat also makes 6.8 ammo, various hunting rounds and a hpbt load. Remington also produces it but I wouldn’t recommend it.  G9 defense has a 6.8 barrier blind hollow point offering as well.  The 6.8 is popular and ammo will continue to be produced.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

As someone said, quality ammo is available, but not cheap, same as most non-GI calibers.

That said, I don't know why anyone would plan on putting thousands of rounds through a 6.8. That's what your 5.56 AR is for.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I use a standard lower with the ASC mags made for the 6.8
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want to reload.  

The Hornady SST 120 grain bullet is hard to beat.  

I load it with aa2200 powder.

Large primer / small primer brass all seem about the same.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 8/5/2024 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for the response. I hope they still produce commercial 6.8 SPC in the future.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for the response. I hope they still produce commercial 6.8 SPC in the future.
View Quote

It was the only thing on the shelf during the pandemic at our local hardware store. Except a few oddball calibers. Owner made me a good deal and I took them all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By vatopa:
If you want to reload.  

Good Luck

View Quote

My experience as well!
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Starline makes brass now too, and it’s available and reasonably priced.

Sad that Nosler quit producing the Accubond bullet. It was exceptional.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 1:39:32 AM EDT
[#26]
If you want to reload.  

Good Luck

View Quote

Yup. I killed couse deer with that combo. Also out of my 12.5”
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ossian:

S&B, ppu and federal make fmj/hpbt ammo.  Hornady has the 120 grain sst and 110 vmax.  Wilson combat also makes 6.8 ammo, various hunting rounds and a hpbt load. Remington also produces it but I wouldn’t recommend it.  G9 defense has a 6.8 barrier blind hollow point offering as well.  The 6.8 is popular and ammo will continue to be produced.  
View Quote

none of that is in stock anywhere except the Hornady Black 110gr vmax, ppu, and s&b.  federal and remington were out of stock everywhere I looked.  wilson might have it in stock but their sales weenie in chat refused to sell me a 11.3" barrel a few months back because "we only sell sbr barrels to ffl" so fuckem.  bought the 11.3" wc barrel on sale from dvor last week.  could have made an extra $50 off me if they hadn't been dumbfucks.

stacking the s&b and collecting brass for reloading.  everyone downloads it compared to the original spec.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By racer765:

none of that is in stock anywhere except the Hornady Black 110gr vmax, ppu, and s&b.  federal and remington were out of stock everywhere I looked.  wilson might have it in stock but their sales weenie in chat refused to sell me a 11.3" barrel a few months back because "we only sell sbr barrels to ffl" so fuckem.  bought the 11.3" wc barrel on sale from dvor last week.  could have made an extra $50 off me if they hadn't been dumbfucks.

stacking the s&b and collecting brass for reloading.  everyone downloads it compared to the original spec.
View Quote

The G9 round I’ve only seen on their website.  If you want spicier ammo check out Druid hill armory and cavity back bullets, spc ii spec ammo.  Druid hill loads for cavity back.  Druid usually has hornady 120 sst and 110 vmax ammo spc ii in stock, a box of 50 rounds is cheaper than what a box of hornady ammo goes for.  They also have a 90 grain tipped maker Rex bullet ammo at 3000 fps but it sells quick.  Reloading is the best option for higher velocity spc ammo.  That being said I have killed a few deer and antelope with standard pressure 110 pts s&b ammo and the animals dropped where they stood or ran a few yards and fell.  The 6.8 is a good performer with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#29]

The G9 round I’ve only seen on their website.  If you want spicier ammo check out Druid hill armory and cavity back bullets, spc ii spec ammo.  Druid hill loads for cavity back.  Druid usually has hornady 120 sst and 110 vmax ammo spc ii in stock, a box of 50 rounds is cheaper than what a box of hornady ammo goes for.  They also have a 90 grain tipped maker Rex bullet ammo at 3000 fps but it sells quick.  Reloading is the best option for higher velocity spc ammo.  That being said I have killed a few deer and antelope with standard pressure 110 pts s&b ammo and the animals dropped where they stood or ran a few yards and fell.  The 6.8 is a good performer with factory ammo.
View Quote

just snagged another 4 boxes of the green box s&b from lgs - they ordered it in and sold it for the same $ as online price but no shipping.

just browsed the Druid Hill site, their 110gr Vmax load looks interesting.  might have to order a couple boxes and see how the 11.3" likes it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#30]

just snagged another 4 boxes of the green box s&b from lgs - they ordered it in and sold it for the same $ as online price but no shipping.

just browsed the Druid Hill site, their 110gr Vmax load looks interesting.  might have to order a couple boxes and see how the 11.3" likes it.
View Quote

Nice score, I haven’t seen s&b locally since 2021.  Keep an eye on mmi ammo.  They have the xm68gd 90 grain gold dot in stock.  I picked up 300 rounds last month for $25 a box.  The sale ended and it’s at $35 a box now.  Their stock level hasn’t much since it went back to regular price, they will probably put it sale again sometime to get some more sales. Shipping is free on $250 order, they didn’t charge me sales tax.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

View Quote

I buy the 110g Accubond projectiles when I can find them. Usually on gunbroker.   I have around 750-800 now.

Buy XM68GD when you can find it. I have a bunch from when PSA was blowing it out at $8 per 20rd box. I may have around 1500-1600 rds from PSA.

Barrett 30rd mags are a good mag if you can find them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#32]
If you want to reload.  

Good Luck

View Quote

This ^

Killed many a hog with the 120 sst!  I run a 16".
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#33]
waiting on the Midwest shorty muzzle device to come in.  last piece to arrive for my 6.8 spc pistol...

getting itchy.  can't start assembling it until I get that last piece.  muzzle ends about 1" inside the handguard.  this will end about .1" past the hg.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I been in the 6.8SPC cartridge since the beginning, this advise is the best, the MKZ 105 are killer bullets and PRI magazines are all I use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:07:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lokifox] [#35]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

I buy the 110g Accubond projectiles when I can find them. Usually on gunbroker.   I have around 750-800 now.

Buy XM68GD when you can find it. I have a bunch from when PSA was blowing it out at $8 per 20rd box. I may have around 1500-1600 rds from PSA.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Originally Posted By lokifox:

The 100 grain Accubond was really great. I was able to get them exactly once… Wish I had taken advantage of the XM68 deal back in the day but I was on a “hand load everything” kick.

Still have quite a few of the XM68 projectiles but their performance wasn’t as good as I had hoped.

Another discontinued bullet, the Sierra 90 grain HP is a fantastic performer at 6.8 velocities.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I use a 16in ARP barrel on my deer gun, standard lower. I've looked at that PSA upper, but 18in is a little long.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Barnes TTSX or TSX bullets are well regarded as well.   I use the 95 grain TTSX over AA2200 in S&B brass.

All of the factory S&B loads shot very well for me.    I only bought the ammo for the brass but their ballistic tip,  110 grains??, would suffice on deer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#38]
first pews through the 11.3" barrel will happen Sunday morning.  

I might paint/duracote/ceracote my first gun parts.  the stainless barrel is a little too eye catching for me.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I put together a 6.8 with the 11.3” WC barrel. I thought the stainless barrel might bother me so I got a can of flat black
BBQ grill paint.  After I assembled the upper it didn’t bother me so I didn’t paint it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Buy this ammo and go kill stuff. They don't make it anymore. It's federal fusion.

MMI 6.8 90 gr
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#41]
What you will find out with the 6.8 SPC is this.
It is the best do all caliber for an AR15.
It has no feeding problems. It isn't finicky. It does not break bolts or extractors.
At .421 diameter it feeds the same as the .375 5.56. Any bigger of a diameter does not feed well in an AR15 magwell.
With the right bullets it is more than capable on deer sized game to 425 yards, Elk to 300 yards.
It is very capable of 600 yard performance on target. Although its not touted as such it is in use in competition.
Its also fun to reload for because there are performance returns loading to SPCII speeds.
There is still a wide variety of projectiles available that are designed for the 6.8 SPC's speed range.
PRI is committed to continuing the best 6.8 mags made. Cavity Back Bullets is committed to supplying the best bullets and brass for the 6.8.
Bison, Wilson, ARP, White Oak, LWRC and others are all still committed to the 6.8.
Its the caliber people stick with even when exploring other calibers. Why, because its the most reliable alternate caliber in an AR15 platform.

Now in all fairness the 300BO is better for subsonic use. Which is what it was designed for. For anything but subsonic the 6.8 gets it done. Its not going anywhere.

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#42]
three range sessions in with this pistol, all is good.  love this round.  

last session there was a table of newbies, all under 25.  one kid had worked as an armed guard, he had the Glock and not enough ammo.  

since I was mostly looking for function check and round count, I let them try it out.  Mr Glock owner had an ar, the other two had never shot one.  well, they all had fun.  

now I need more ammo...
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#43]
three range sessions in with this pistol, all is good.  love this round.  

last session there was a table of newbies, all under 25.  one kid had worked as an armed guard, he had the Glock and not enough ammo.  

since I was mostly looking for function check and round count, I let them try it out.  Mr Glock owner had an ar, the other two had never shot one.  well, they all had fun.  

now I need more ammo...
View Quote

What optic are you using?  Accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:40:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: racer765] [#44]

What optic are you using?  Accuracy?
View Quote

I used the Holosun 510 I have zeroed for the 300blk pistol, it's within about an inch of being zeroed for this 6.8 at 50yd.    haven't shot the 11.3" barrel off a rest yet.  the same upper with a 18" barrel on it shoots better than I do - 5 rounds touching at 100 using the S&B fmj.  I was using a rest, and it had a spare cheapie Tasco 3-9x40 on it then.  

haven't bought the optic that I will dedicate to this one yet.  AEMS is on the short list.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ld recommend the 120 grain SST also. I’ve had good luck with the Barnes 95 grain tipper TSX too. I use an ARP 12.5” barrel on my 6.8. Since I built my first 6.8 back jn 2009 I bought a good bit of SSA brass. I think I have 700-800 pieces in bags still unopened.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#46]

I used the Holosun 510 I have zeroed for the 300blk pistol, it's within about an inch of being zeroed for this 6.8 at 50yd.    haven't shot the 11.3" barrel off a rest yet.  the same upper with a 18" barrel on it shoots better than I do - 5 rounds touching at 100 using the S&B fmj.  I was using a rest, and it had a spare cheapie Tasco 3-9x40 on it then.  

haven't bought the optic that I will dedicate to this one yet.  AEMS is on the short list.
View Quote

I have a strike eagle on my 18” arp 6.8.  I need to upgrade due to holding zero issues. It’s a decent optic for quick snap shooting but I prefer a cross hair reticle for precision shooting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

It’s being produced, but options are limited and not always in stock.

I’d recommend if you want factory ammo to get S&B 110 FMJ for general use and S&B 110 PTS for hunting.  

A quick search first turn up much PTS for sale currently, so the next choice would be Hornady 120 SST.  

Realistically, I consider 6.8 SPC to be a reloader’s caliber these days.  

I’d suggest sticking up on brass from Starline or S&B brass from Cavity Back bullets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By gasgas:
ARP barrels from Blackstone Arms
Are the best
View Quote

Good but not the best
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By gmtech:

Good but not the best
View Quote

Your barrel recommendations for 6.8 spc ii?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 11:54:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#50]

Your barrel recommendations for 6.8 spc ii?  
View Quote

I have 2 chrome lined from Daniel Defense that are very accurate. My one Yankee Hill Machine nitride barrel is amazing.
All 3 barrels love XM68GD. The 2 DD barrels with my handloaded 90g gold dots will consistently hit 1 MOA and under sometimes out to 400 yds. That's as far as I fired those 2 guns.

The YHM barrel sees nothing but my 110g V Max now that I worked a load for it. It's steady at .75 MOA all the time. The furthest I've fired it is about 450 yds.

The former ARP made amazing barrels. But there are some that are just as good. A coworker has a White Oak Armament or Wilson Combat barrel, can't remember which one it is now that he shoots 110g Accubonds through. That barrel is a nail driver. But I think 200 yds is as far as he's fired it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
6.8 SPC Build (Page 1 of 2)
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top