Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2024 11:28:49 PM EDT
What's a good ACOG mount these days?

I know LaRue is still a standby...is there anything "better" out there, or at least as good that isn't $180?

This will be for a TA02, and it'll probably have a Weapon Outfitter KRAM riser in there somewhere, maybe...

I'd prefer a QD mount, but realistically I don't think I'll be yanking it off and on all that much, except for maybe deep cleaning? Though if there's a QD mount out there that I for sure won't need to re-zero after removing and re-installing (I know LaRue has the whole 1MOA thing, but that's still a pretty big shift at a couple hundred yards)...that'd be even better. If something like that exists
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue is my personal favorite but ADM, Midwest Industries and GDI also make QD ACOG mounts. I believe the Midwest Industries is the least expensive one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the LaRue mount, on a PA 5X, the older chonky one, and I like it.

I also have some Midwest and GG&G mounts for Aimpoint and an LPVO.

ADM has a mount that QD and cantilever for ACOG, it basically has a KRAM spacer built in.

Of those three QD mounts styles, I like the GG&G mechanism the best and the price is right for the ACOG mount.

https://www.gggaz.com/accucam-quick-detach-acog-mounting-base.html

Also, get the KRAM spacer, its worth it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Bobro has best return to zero data.
Following information may be useful:

https://www.recoilweb.com/guide-to-quick-detach-scope-mounts-57239.html
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
GDI R-COM E model.

Anyone remember when Botach was selling them for $39? Man I wish I grabbed more than two!

There's a seller on eBay that's selling them new for $125 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a big fan of the ADM QD mount for ACOGs. It is well built!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Another LaRue user here, tried the others and I’ve settled on LaRue for all my ACOG’s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bobro has best return to zero data.
Following information may be useful:

https://www.recoilweb.com/guide-to-quick-detach-scope-mounts-57239.html
View Quote

This link matters because none of the big names approach even 1MOA in shift.

I’ve been using ADM for ages and never had any problems at all. Being cantilever gives you a lot more options in both eye relief and BUIS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got the GDI R-COM E mount, and I like that it's got two sets of mounting holes so you can push the optic further back if you like.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
LaRue for all of my beloved 4x32 ACOGs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
LaRue and Midwest are my two favorites. That said running the stock TA51 on my TA31 and it's fine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys...

I wound up ordering a Bobro (OpticsPlanet, on sale, almost a flat $116 ) and a KRAM from WO.

I have a LaRue on my A4gery (with an ACOG RCOA4 on top) that I really like, but today's prices...too much I think.  If I could find one on sale though, I'd probably buy one just to stick in my "spares" pile

I saw the GDI mount on eBay, but...how would I know if it's a fake? There's so much fake shit on eBay and Amazon that frankly they're not places I go for ordering stuff like this anymore.

Almost ordered an ADM (the HD version with two levers), but the Bobro won out with the big giant clamp and the big lever against it. It seems simpler while seeming to have as good if not better clamping force. We'll see.

I looked at the GG&G - I like their stuff - but I've had a bunch of GG&G stuff over the years, and recently bought one of their bipods...and every time I get one of their things I wind up replacing it with something else. They've got some great ideas for things but sometimes the backing engineering just isn't there (compare their bipods to Harris for example...you'll see what I mean when the GG&G spontaneously comes loose on you in the middle of a range session )

Since I'm not planning on using any BUIS on the rifle this is going on, the KRAM isn't to fit a thick rear BUIS under the eyepiece. I've got a skyscraper of a Steiner DBAL-D3 on the front of the rifle the ACOG will be going on, so it'll probably need to come up just to clear it - an Aimpoint PRO on a lower 1/3rd riser is more like an absolute co-witness with the D3 on front. The lower half of the window is straight up blocked It'll also have a Steiner MPS mounted to the forward MRDS bosses on the optic...between those two, I really don't see a need for metal BUIS on top of two three different sighting systems on it. If it ever does get to the point where all 3 of those are so fucked up that I need BUIS...well, I'm probably super fucked up as well, OR the rifle is super fucked up, so I'm not gonna worry about it
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]
BOBRO ACOG mounts are great. In the tests I've seen they also did the best for return to zero.

How old is your TA02?

I ask because the mount screw procedure and torque spec changed around 2015/2016 at Trijicon. The change came with an update from Heli-Coil Thread Inserts to Spiral-Lock Thread Inserts. Also, when they were using the Heli-Coils they were installing the mount screws with red Loctite 271. It wasn't always the case that the mount screws would always be installed with threadlocker, but it was best practice to heat the mount screws with a soldering iron or a wood burner for about 5 minutes each so you didn't unthread the Heli-Coil out with the screw. They should no longer be using Loctite with the updated Spiral Lock Thread Inserts. In all cases it's best practice to use new mount screws. I prefer the slotted ones as they hold up better to the updated torque specs than the hex screws that come with the BOBRO mounts.

"Trijicon TA31 ACOG/VCOG Mount Screws: Original Torque Spec for Heli-Coil Thread Inserts, pre 2015/2016 > (30 INCH POUNDS)

Trijicon TA31 ACOG/VCOG Mount Screws: Revised Torque Spec for Spiral-Lock Thread Inserts, post 2015/2016 > (50 INCH POUNDS)"

Personally I use blue Loctite 243 on the screws being used on the pre 2015/2016 ACOGs with the Heli-Coil Thread Inserts along with the 30 INCH POUND torque spec. On the post 2015/2016 ACOGs with the Spiral-Lock Thread Inserts I just lightly oil the screws and torque to the 50 INCH POUND torque spec.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BOBRO ACOG mounts are great. In the tests I've seen they also did the best for return to zero.

How old is your TA02?

I ask because the mount screw procedure and torque spec changed around 2015/2016 at Trijicon. The change came with an update from Heli-Coil Thread Inserts to Spiral-Lock Thread Inserts. Also, when they were using the Heli-Coils they were installing the mount screws with red Loctite 271. It wasn't always the case that the mount screws would always be installed with threadlocker, but it was best practice to heat the mount screws with a soldering iron or a wood burner for about 5 minutes each so you didn't unthread the Heli-Coil out with the screw. They should no longer be using Loctite with the updated Spiral Lock Thread Inserts. In all cases it's best practice to use new mount screws. I prefer the slotted ones as they hold up better to the updated torque specs than the hex screws that come with the BOBRO mounts.

"Trijicon TA31 ACOG/VCOG Mount Screws: Original Torque Spec for Heli-Coil Thread Inserts, pre 2015/2016 > (30 INCH POUNDS)

Trijicon TA31 ACOG/VCOG Mount Screws: Revised Torque Spec for Spiral-Lock Thread Inserts, post 2015/2016 > (50 INCH POUNDS)"
View Quote

Ordered from ExpertVoice in March; Trijicon is in the process of building it now, so it'll be brand new when I get it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ordered from ExpertVoice in March; Trijicon is in the process of building it now, so it'll be brand new when I get it.
View Quote

You should have the Spiral-Lock Thread Inserts then. The screws should not be installed with Loctite, but always look at the visible threaded portion of the screws with a flashlight before removal as you can usually see any threadlocker residue if they used any.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Larue, but I prefer the LT799, then the LT622, then the LT100.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Larue-LT799--LT622--LT100-differences-/18-771216/
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Personally I use blue Loctite 243 on the screws being used on the pre 2015/2016 ACOGs with the Heli-Coil Thread Inserts along with the 30 INCH POUND torque spec. On the post 2015/2016 ACOGs with the Spiral-Lock Thread Inserts I just lightly oil the screws and torque to the 50 INCH POUND torque spec.
View Quote

I cannot find any info on the difference between Heli-Coil and Spiral-Lock inserts anywhere on Internet.

Trijicon staff did not provide and specify what torque to use on aftermarket mounts when I called.
Since GG&G makes similar to Bobro quick disconnect mounts, I called them for the proper torque value, and they said to use 12 inch/lb with touch of blue locktite on a side of screw.
Acog was pre 2015, purchased sometime in 2010 more or less.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I backordered a TA02 in February through B&H Photo. Still no ETA other than maybe July.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I backordered a TA02 in February through B&H Photo. Still no ETA other than maybe July.
View Quote

FWIW when I ordered from EV I got an email from someone at Trijicon the next day thanking me for my order and letting me know that "due to the current world climate", all ACOGS have a 12+ week lead time....so, YMMV? I'm hoping sometime in June, but maybe July might be more reasonable...and, what I ordered, a TA02, isn't usually the highest demanded optic I don't think, so...

Eh?
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I cannot find any info on the difference between Heli-Coil and Spiral-Lock inserts anywhere on Internet.

Trijicon staff did not provide and specify what torque to use on aftermarket mounts when I called.
Since GG&G makes similar to Bobro quick disconnect mounts, I called them for the proper torque value, and they said to use 12 inch/lb with touch of blue locktite on a side of screw.
Acog was pre 2015, purchased sometime in 2010 more or less.
View Quote

https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/en/brands/Optia/Spiralock

Your ACOG should definitely have Heli-Coils by the date is was purchased. Interesting that GG&G suggests to go that light on the torque. 12 INCH POUNDS is literally the number for the tiny MRO mount screws. I'd go by the numbers Trijicon gave out. Not sure why their CS did not specify the torque when you called them, but I have had hit or miss experiences in getting a hold of people there that knew what they were talking about. The info and numbers I posted have been confirmed by me a couple of times and by at least one other.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top