Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2017 8:59:19 PM EDT
I know this is not necessary. Though, in case the wiggle between your recievers bothers you, this may just work.

I didn’t like using a rubber o ring because it needed to be replaced every time the rifle would be taken apart. Also I didnt like the idea of the standard tensioning screw so I found one that works even better than the standard ones I’ve seen online.

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts!

Here is what I did:

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to AR15.com!!!

Accu-wedge always worked for me; although I don't have any wobble problems, now.  So, accu-wedges are in the spare parts box.

Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
True- but then there is a loose piece of foreign matter that can potentially become lodged in the fire control group or trigger group- also the wedge can decompose with certain chemicals and cleaning solutions.

Also the accu wedge does nothing for wobble originating from The front takedown pins and lugs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the welcome!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I find the best way to remove the play between upper & lower is to insert a magazine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I find the best way to remove the play between upper & lower is to insert a magazine.
View Quote
Or just not care and shoot the thing
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Where did you find the specialized set screw?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
True- but then there is a loose piece of foreign matter that can potentially become lodged in the fire control group or trigger group- also the wedge can decompose with certain chemicals and cleaning solutions.

Also the accu wedge does nothing for wobble originating from The front takedown pins and lugs.
View Quote
I had a very small amount of rattle myself, went with the wedge, however not sure how common this is, but I have a bridge between the rear takedown pin location and also the FCG pocket, isolating it.    Doubt the thing is going to come apart out of no where, and if it needs to be replaced at some point, a couple bucks isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
My first AR has had an Accu-Wedge in it for twenty one years. I don't think coming apart and mucking up the works is a real thing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
All my ARs have a little play.  I tried the o-ring on the front lug.  They snap after half a dozen open-close situations.

And I read an account where they put undue stress on the takedown hole and "egg" it out making the issue worse than when starting.  This reportedly happened after a volume of rounds through the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My first AR has had an Accu-Wedge in it for twenty one years. I don't think coming apart and mucking up the works is a real thing.
View Quote
How many rounds through it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used an Accu-Wedge in one of my SR15 Mod1, which wasn't as tight as my other 4, and it does its job fine.
Currently have 17,100 rounds through the Mod1 w/ the Accu-Wedge with no problems.
I only use CLP, Go-Juice, and Fireclean, which none of them affects the integrity of the Accu-Wedge.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a wedge for an M&P15 and had to whittle about 60% of the base away to get it locked. It did remove the wobble but I'm not too happy about it. And like one post, I'm not so sure about having a loose piece of rubber in the works.
I may take it out. I figure if the gun needed it, it would have come with one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
The screw idea is fine IMO, personally I've used the accuwedge or nothing at all. Once loaded you're fine.

I will recommend removing the front shim around the pivot lug. I wouldn't put anything that could cause a problem near the chamber (say a piece breaks off).

Long time ago I remember putting one strip of electrical tape on each side of the lower's front pivot holes, to take up the slop(for years). Then one day I had a FTF and found the round was really stuck going into the chamber which was lodged with a piece of tape. Lesson learned.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top