Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2024 12:11:46 PM EDT
I probably spent more on ammo than I did on the barrel.

I shot three groups with different ammo.

What do you think of the performance of a $50 barrel??

Anderson AR-15 Barrel Accuracy Review
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A quick video which is refreshing this day and age.

I'm not rich enough to buy bargain barrels, but always interesting to see how they perform.

That said, the high rate of fire may not have done it justice.  Seemed like shot dispersion opened up as the barrel heated, which is to be expected.

Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the high rate of fire may not have done it justice.  Seemed like shot dispersion opened up as the barrel heated, which is to be expected.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply

Each group took about 5-10 minutes to shoot and the barrel was cooled with a chamber chiller between each group.

Also, when I was at the range, I actually shot the 77gr group 1st, 69's second and 55's last.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
His accuracy testing is a bit dubious as he is rapid firing....
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
For $50, I'd say you got taken. It performs like a $30 barrel.

That being said, if you re-crowned it and fire lapped it it might improve things. Those railroad tracks are indicative of a barrel that was not lapped or honed following the reaming operation. That's not necessarily indicative of a bad barrel, since I have seen barrels like that perform admirably at 600 yards just like that. However it does show that they are putting out barrels that are competing at a lower end price point.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply

Each group took about 5-10 minutes to shoot and the barrel was cooled with a chamber chiller between each group.

Also, when I was at the range, I actually shot the 77gr group 1st, 69's second and 55's last.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the high rate of fire may not have done it justice.  Seemed like shot dispersion opened up as the barrel heated, which is to be expected.

Thanks for the reply

Well, then the barrel sucks ass.  Which is to be expected from a bargain barrel.  

You might make a note in your vid that you sped up the shooting sequence.  Seems like others thought the same thing I did.

Kudos to you for not making this video 25 minutes long with 23 minutes of monologue...or god forbid the boxing/unboxing thing (what kind of idiot cares about that anyway?).
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Have not watched the video yet, I will in a few, just wanted to say welcome to arfcom OP, that's a pretty good first post, much better than some of the whack jobs i've seen join this year. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
What type of ammo?  Bulk pack?  Match?  Handloads?

Shit in = shit out!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You might make a note in your vid that you sped up the shooting sequence.  Seems like others thought the same thing I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

During the shooting sequence of this video, I put an asterisks on the lower right  part of the screen and wrote "Edited for Brevity".  I realize there is a lot of text on the screen during the shooting sequence, so, I'll find a better way to communicate this for the next video.  Thanks for the feedback!!

Quoted:
Kudos to you for not making this video 25 minutes long with 23 minutes of monologue.

Haha, yeah... I wanted to keep it short and to the point. I could have kept the shooting sequences unedited and avoid any confusion, but I really don't think anyone wants to watch 30 minutes of group shooting.

Quoted:
..or god forbid the boxing/unboxing thing (what kind of idiot cares about that anyway?).

Ditto!!  I wanted to present some unique information. I personally don't have a lot of confidence in 5 round groups and like using a larger sample size to get a better representation of what a rifle is capable of on a repeated basis.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:just wanted to say welcome to arfcom OP, that's a pretty good first post
View All Quotes
Quoted:just wanted to say welcome to arfcom OP, that's a pretty good first post

Thank you!!

Quoted:
What type of ammo?  Bulk pack?  Match?  Handloads?

Shit in = shit out!

All ammo was handloaded on a dillon XL650 with a Mark 7 automation kit

First group 55gr Hornady FMJs with CFE 223 Powder (my cheap plinking load)

2nd group was 69gr Sierra MatchKings on top of N140 with Lake City Brass

3rd group was 77gr Sierra MatchKings on N140 Powder and Norma Brass

Ive had other barrels shoot these loads for much better in 30-shot groups... More videos to come.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

His accuracy testing is a bit dubious as he is rapid firing....
View Quote

Each group took about 5-10 minutes to shoot.  I edited it down so that it didn't put you sleep watching 30 minutes of group shooting.  I'll make that more apparent in subsequent videos to avoid confusion.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I like short, concise, and informative videos.

Keep it up.  Keep your test protocols and ensure statistical significance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Good vid. The bore was cleaned before scoping or at least before shooting, correct?

I wonder if the throat will even out with wear. You might get a half decent group in the last 500 rounds before it keyholes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good vid. The bore was cleaned before scoping or at least before shooting, correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you!!  Yes, the bore was cleaned before it was borescoped & shot.  Anderson doesn't post a break-in process, so I went straight to shooting groups with it after initial cleaning.
Quoted:You might get a half decent group in the last 500 rounds before it keyholes.
Haha    Yeah, this barrel will probably be relegated to CQB distances at best.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great video, I'd say the $50 barrel.. produced $50 results.

I also appreciate your efforts.

Thank You
View Quote

I'd be nice if it shot better, but I don't disagree with your statement....  If I paid the full $115 retail price, I might be signing a different tune.

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
After you shoot 200 rounds through it, do the same test again with the same ammo and see how it does
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one of those Anderson complete uppers a few weeks ago that Primary Arms had on sale. With just a red dot sight at 50 yards it seemed to shoot pretty good.

This post makes me want to slap a scope on it and duplicate the OP's test.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought one of those Anderson complete uppers a few weeks ago that Primary Arms had on sale. With just a red dot sight at 50 yards it seemed to shoot pretty good.

This post makes me want to slap a scope on it and duplicate the OP's test.
View Quote
Be funny if it is better than the BAs you've had.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Be funny if it is better than the BAs you've had.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth...
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks new member for a youtube link. Hope you get the views and subs if that is what is hoped for. I recently bought a 54 dollar barrel from MidwayUSA but don't have a channel.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank you for not using 3 or 5 shot groups.  10 is good, 30 is superb.
View Quote

Larger sample sizes are good, but I prefer composites unless you’re just looking to see if a barrel walks at it warms up.

10rds with good trigger pulls and a clear sight picture is better data than 30rds with mirage, canting and shooter fatigue being introduced.

If you’re using a mechanical testing platform, yeah, shoot a larger sample size. If you’re in a less controlled environment, 30samples per target might not be the way to go.

Without knowing anything else, and no control group/shooter proficiency info, it appears that barrel is a rack grade bullet hose. Maybe BCA is turning those out?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I probably spent more on ammo than I did on the barrel.

I shot three groups with different ammo.

What do you think of the performance of a $50 barrel??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-hh_vhcyNo
View Quote

A quick video done with a 30 round shot group. And his only accuracy video, so we don't know how good his groups can be with a different barrel.

10 3-round groups would have been better. Even 6 5-round groups. Shooter fatigue is a thing.

I don't see how a mean radius of <1moa with match ammo is a disappointing result. If a $50 barrel did better perhaps competition barrels or a $300 Daniel Defense barrel wouldn't be as much of a value.

I regularly get 2-4moa out of a factory $350 Anderson rifle using M193 ammo. Good enough for me. I get about the same accuracy out of a Daniel Defense factory rifle.

I get 0.65 MOA out of a Ruger SFAR using a specific factory hunting load

Superb video quality with edits and information presented. The competition videos are nice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Yikes  

Thanks for the test data.   I'll pass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you!!  Yes, the bore was cleaned before it was borescoped & shot.  Anderson doesn't post a break-in process, so I went straight to shooting groups with it after initial cleaning.
Haha    Yeah, this barrel will probably be relegated to CQB distances at best.
View Quote

Nice video,

Not much you can do to improve a nitrided barrel.  I had an AR Stoner barrel that was producing 9 MOA ES with M193. I chopped & threaded to 12.5” and faced an 11-degree Target crown. Got it down to 3-4 MOA so worth keeping as a plinking suppressor host or for mag dumping blasting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#26]
My experience has been the opposite.  I have a 7.5" 300blk Anderson barrel that has been a laser beam.  Purchased it shortly after Anderson brought their barrel production in house.  Prior to the purchase, I had some questions about the barrel and their production.  They had changed from 1/7 to 1/8 twist.  Anderson was extremely helpful and responsive.  If I had that poor grouping I would have asked Anderson to replace the barrel.  

I feel I have gotten much more than my $50 worth.  Of course both of these experiences (mine and the OP) are a sample of one.  I am not going to endorse or condemn a company until there is a trend or pattern.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#27]
@HighpowerRifleBrony
@AccuracyArsenal

Well I slapped a scope on my Anderson upper and hit the range. Wind was quartering at 5 mph +/- so not an issue. Storms were rolling in so I felt rushed but I will say 95% of the shots felt good.

All shots were from the bench a minute or less apart. Time between groups was walking time to target and back... again, kind of rushed.

The rifle... my barrel seems to have a grey finish.

First up but no photo was 55gr FMJ to zero and get on paper, I'd say it was around 4 MOA +. Not bad IMO.  

Second group was 69gr SMK's with 24.0grs Re15... Ten shots, just under 2".

Last group was 77gr SMK's with 23.5grs AA2520... Ten shots, just over 2" NOT counting the odd guy that did his own thing.

I was going to do more shooting but the rifle stopped functioning... a quick look over and I discovered the gas block had worked its way loose... so in less than 100 rounds the gas block worked loose.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a older anderson 16inch carbine barrel 1/8 twist that I had a few thousand rounds threw. Never expected precision accuracy but was able to get minute of fire extinguisher accuracy at 200 yards. Not bad for a 50 dollar barrel at the time. Sold it at some point with the upper to a friend who continues to use it as a garbage blaster.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Nevermind. Misread.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@HighpowerRifleBrony
@AccuracyArsenal

Well I slapped a scope on my Anderson upper and hit the range. Wind was quartering at 5 mph +/- so not an issue. Storms were rolling in so I felt rushed but I will say 95% of the shots felt good.

All shots were from the bench a minute or less apart. Time between groups was walking time to target and back... again, kind of rushed.

The rifle... my barrel seems to have a grey finish.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/922/BBMYiS.jpg

First up but no photo was 55gr FMJ to zero and get on paper, I'd say it was around 4 MOA +. Not bad IMO.  

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/923/aaQlH5.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/922/fL42PB.jpg

Last group was 77gr SMK's with 23.5grs AA2520... Ten shots, just over 2" NOT counting the odd guy that did his own thing.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/923/3koe9E.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q70/924/otvSRe.jpg

I was going to do more shooting but the rifle stopped functioning... a quick look over and I discovered the gas block had worked its way loose... so in less than 100 rounds the gas block worked loose.
View Quote
Barrel-wise it looks like you got a better roll of the house-weighted dice. That might improve from not terrible to decent in 200 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Barrel-wise it looks like you got a better roll of the house-weighted dice. That might improve from not terrible to decent in 200 rounds.
View Quote

Yep, not bad IMO for what it is. I played the OP's video and stopped at about the 10-round mark and my barrel seemed to initially mirror his... if I had more time and the gas block didn't work loose, I'd have actually fired a 20-round group.

Might go back and re-shoot later in the week just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I suuuuuuper appreciate a video that gets right into the meat of things. Thanks for posting.  I just bought a bunch of Anderson lowers. They will not see Anderson bargain barrels.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
After you shoot 200 rounds through it, do the same test again with the same ammo and see how it does
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Will do.  Although, I'm not in too big of a hurry to shoot this barrel a whole bunch.

Quoted:
Thank you for not using 3 or 5 shot groups.  10 is good, 30 is superb.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of 5-shot groups either. I think 30-shots gives me a really good idea about the capability of the system.

Quoted:
And his only accuracy video, so we don't know how good his groups can be with a different barrel.

Superb video quality with edits and information presented. The competition videos are nice.

I'll try to establish a bit more credibility in future posts. After posting, I realized people probably don't really have much confidence if the results are due to the shooter or due to the barrel, or something else.

Thanks for the compliments!!

Quoted:
Well I slapped a scope on my Anderson upper and hit the range.

No too dissimilar results for 10-shot groups.  Thanks for contributing!!  

Quoted:
I suuuuuuper appreciate a video that gets right into the meat of things.

Haha, yeah me too!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]
So you guys are complaining about a $50 barrel that can shoot 2 inch 10 round groups at 100 yards with ammo it likes?
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So you guys are complaining about a $50 barrel that can shoot 2 inch 10 round groups at 100 yards with ammo it likes?
View Quote

I don't see anyone complaining... it's nothing more than fun at the range, informal testing, and info sharing.

It's always interesting to take budget items and give them a work out to see what they will and will not do.

ETA- from my post... "Yep, not bad IMO for what it is."
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I suggest 3, 10 round groups instead of 30 all at once. Between groups, take your eye off the glass for little while to help you refocus and let your eyes rest
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't see anyone complaining... it's nothing more than fun at the range, informal testing, and info sharing.

It's always interesting to take budget items and give them a work out to see what they will and will not do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bowhunter,  I was just using your data point (2" 10 round group), didn't mean you specifically were complaining.  But others are, "I'll pass," "Yikes."  Maybe not complaining, but downing the barrel.  

My point is, barrels have progressed to the point that a $50 barrel will shoot basically better than twice the military standard.  That seems pretty good to me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My point is, barrels have progressed to the point that a $50 barrel will shoot basically better than twice the military standard.  That seems pretty good to me.
View Quote
Which military standard?
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP's barrel didn't accomplish that.  Another poster's barrel did.

Which is the principle issue with buying bargain barrels.  Lack of consistency in QC and manufacturing.  It's always gamble.

I think Jeff Cooper once said "Only accurate rifles are interesting".  I agree 100%.

It's not that I'm wealthy or a snob.  I just don't have the cash to roll the dice on a cheap barrel, when I can spend more on a known quantity.  If I want an accurate barrel, I buy from barrel manufacturers who only make barrels.  Thats their niche and they have track records.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well I slapped a scope on my Anderson upper and hit the range.

AccuracyArsenal: No too dissimilar results for 10-shot groups.  Thanks for contributing!!  

A bit of extrapolating, but OP says his barrel shot similar 10 shot groups.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A bit of extrapolating, but OP says his barrel shot similar 10 shot groups.
View Quote

The 10-shot groups as shown in the video measure the following...

55 gr groups
Shots 1-10        5.809 MOA
Shots 11-20      6.152 MOA
Shots 21-30      4.790 MOA

69 gr groups
Shots 1-10        2.180 MOA
Shots 11-20      3.013 MOA
Shots 21-30      3.124 MOA

77 gr groups
Shots 1-10        3.008 MOA
Shots 11-20      3.257 MOA
Shots 21-30      4.132 MOA

Link Posted: 6/22/2024 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The 10-shot groups as shown in the video measure the following...

55 gr groups
Shots 1-10        5.809 MOA
Shots 11-20      6.152 MOA
Shots 21-30      4.790 MOA

69 gr groups
Shots 1-10        2.180 MOA
Shots 11-20      3.013 MOA
Shots 21-30      3.124 MOA

77 gr groups
Shots 1-10        3.008 MOA
Shots 11-20      3.257 MOA
Shots 21-30      4.132 MOA

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/7638/eSmsZN.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/3663/vDq4ID.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/2954/dkTs0d.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/911/scUwDw.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/768/J9vBxk.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/817/nqWwTq.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/9391/PDoW5E.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5161/gI6Z6O.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/4474/8LXXMP.jpg
View Quote

One bad thing about this place is you will find people like to shit on or leave unnecessary unmeaningful commentary in other people's posts...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top