Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jkees:

As a data point I have a 10.3" geissele super duty sporting a super 42 with H3 and with y'all's 77gr OTM I have not had any issues with any feeding.

ETA: unsupressed.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I will say I have seen A LOT more people running the 77gr OTM’s over the 77gr SMK’s which I’m sure is due to the price but I still find it interesting. I would much rather have the SMK projectile since ya know, it’s made by Sierra but if it works it works
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]

As a data point I have a 10.3" geissele super duty sporting a super 42 with H3 and with y'all's 77gr OTM I have not had any issues with any feeding.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jman_JJE:

I have no information other than looking at the post quickly. My cursory take is that 77gr OTM out of a short barrel results in higher pressures and violent cycling. I believe this is why he is saying that the gun works with 55gr PMC/Winchester. The recoil pulse is different with 55gr. This can vary by weapon and depend on gas port size. To combat this Giesselle recommends that you use and H2 or H3 buffer in a 10.5 inch barrel. I’m guessing the combination of heavy buffer with the 10.5 barrel and 77gr projectile would make it cycle correctly. There is people commenting about this in the post, but since it is Reddit it is being ignored.

Without getting his upper in and changing out his buffer I can’t prove it out but we would be willing to do so.

We are working on a video showing proper buffer setups with short barrels and heavy projectiles.

Do you know what gas port size you have?  I’m assuming yours is the 0.075 port (crane spec is 0.070) since it’s functioning unsuppressed with an h3. iIRC there was G 10.3 barrels that had really small ports at around 0.063 that I would think wouldn’t function unsuppressed with an h3.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hammerthrower19:

Thanks for the input. I will say I have seen A LOT more people running the 77gr OTM’s over the 77gr SMK’s which I’m sure is due to the price but I still find it interesting. I would much rather have the SMK projectile since ya know, it’s made by Sierra but if it works it works
View Quote

And the regular is made with the hornady 77 otm which is the same you get with blackhills 77 grain as they switched over to the hornady before PSA switched over. This is a proven projectile.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:31:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#4]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Do you know what gas port size you have?  I’m assuming yours is the 0.075 port (crane spec is 0.070) since it’s functioning unsuppressed with an h3. iIRC there was G 10.3 barrels that had really small ports at around 0.063 that I would think wouldn’t function unsuppressed with an h3.  
View Quote

I bought it in mid April, I believe its the current size where it says .070" on the site, but have not verified or measured myself.

ETA: also wanted to throw in if this is going to be about my geissele, works unsuppressed with the h3 and 55 grain just as well, but never tried anything lighter.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

And the regular is made with the hornady 77 otm which is the same you get with blackhills 77 grain as they switched over to the hornady before PSA switched over. This is a proven projectile.
View Quote

Very interesting, I did not know that. I wonder why PSA does not advertise that? Unless they do and I’m just too dumb to ever see it lol
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Very interesting, I did not know that. I wonder why PSA does not advertise that? Unless they do and I’m just too dumb to ever see it lol
View Quote

You mean like this under the product details?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]

You mean like this under the product details?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/380981/1000008789_jpg-3256295.JPG
View Quote

Ahh yes I never even saw that. Granted I looked more closely at the Sierra loading since it said Sierra on the box lol. My bad. Might have to look into those then
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Ahh yes I never even saw that. Granted I looked more closely at the Sierra loading since it said Sierra on the box lol. My bad. Might have to look into those then
View Quote

The projective advertising just started recently.  I think I first saw it two or three days ago.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 5:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#9]
They just added the Hornady name in the description.

However, it is not on the box like Sierra/Barnes, which I still don't understand.
Likely just the nature of their deal with Hornady.

75gr BTHP is blue box, 77OTM black box.
Both Hornady Match projectiles.

Some changes to the box labeling would be good imo.

Not catastrophic,  but I have had a ruptured case with the 77OTM, bought in November 2023. (Posted in this thread).
Their brass has had some issues.
I shot the 120rds I had left from that lot with no issues since they didn't answer my email.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#10]

I bought it in mid April, I believe its the current size where it says .070" on the site, but have not verified or measured myself.

ETA: also wanted to throw in if this is going to be about my geissele, works unsuppressed with the h3 and 55 grain just as well, but never tried anything lighter.
View All Quotes

That’s interesting. Their complete 10.3 uppers list the port as 0.070 and their stripped 10.3 barrels have a 0.075 port listed. Wonder if they are indeed different.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Saddlerocker:
They just added the Hornady name in the description.

However, it is not on the box like Sierra/Barnes, which I still don't understand.
Likely just the nature of their deal with Hornady.

75gr BTHP is blue box, 77OTM black box.
Both Hornady Match projectiles.

Some changes to the box labeling would be good imo.

Not catastrophic,  but I have had a ruptured case with the 77OTM, bought in November 2023. (Posted in this thread).
Their brass has had some issues.
I shot the 120rds I had left from that lot with no issues since they didn't answer my email.
View Quote

Gotcha thanks for the update. So far I have seen a lot more issues with the 77gr OTM than the SMK loading which I find odd. Not to say stuff couldn’t happen with the SMK cause it could but that’s how all ammo is I suppose. Shit happens. I did ask if people ran this stuff on the clone rifle page on Facebook and so far I’ve read a lot of people run it in their Mk12 builds so that’s very promising since the cloning hobby is very expensive, so I know those guys wouldn’t put shit ammo into their expensive clones.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: X-CaptHook] [#12]

View Quote

PSA confirmed in the other thread that all their AAC rifle projectiles, in all calibers, are exclusively either Sierra or Hornady. If it doesn’t say Sierra, it’s definitely Hornady.
ETA: as stated on the previous page.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Gotcha thanks for the update. So far I have seen a lot more issues with the 77gr OTM than the SMK loading which I find odd. Not to say stuff couldn’t happen with the SMK cause it could but that’s how all ammo is I suppose. Shit happens. I did ask if people ran this stuff on the clone rifle page on Facebook and so far I’ve read a lot of people run it in their Mk12 builds so that’s very promising since the cloning hobby is very expensive, so I know those guys wouldn’t put shit ammo into their expensive clones.
View Quote

I've run thousands of rounds of the OTM with zero issues. At matches, most are now running the OTM as well for at least practice, people don't put shit ammo in their good guns. Quit listening to idiots on reddit and go follow people that shoot comps and see what they are running.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]

I’m not aware of any ss109/m855 that’s anywhere near moa. Do you mean 2 moa?

I’m just spitballing here, but I’d argue that most domestically produced m855 that has been offered on the civilian market in the US is factory seconds (I’m mainly speaking about win, Fed LkC)
View Quote

I have some MKE M855 that is stupid accurate. I've shot many sub 1" 10 shot groups with it.  Maybe they use a more consistent SS109 bullet than domestic stuff?  Either way, it is possible.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By X-CaptHook:

PSA confirmed in the other thread that all their AAC rifle projectiles, in all calibers, are exclusively either Sierra or Hornady. If it doesn’t say Sierra, it’s definitely Hornady.
ETA: as stated on the previous page.
View Quote

They also have the Barnes TSX.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#16]
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

And additionally / interesting to note, the other Copper Solid load ... The Sabre 5.56 Nato 70gr SBX says "Hornady"
https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-sabre-5-56-nato-70-grain-sbx-solid-copper-hollow-point-20rd-box-ammunition.html
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

@SuperJlarge
They also have the Barnes TSX.

And additionally / interesting to note, the other Copper Solid load ... The Sabre 5.56 Nato 70gr SBX says "Hornady"
https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-sabre-5-56-nato-70-grain-sbx-solid-copper-hollow-point-20rd-box-ammunition.html

I suppose it's safe to assume that it's a GMX projectile.  How do those perform in gel compared to Barnes?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
CX and GMX are Hornadys solid copper offerings, but they have polymer tips and none are 70gr .224.

I'm sure PSA will say they were made exclusivly for AAC and until someone does a side by side and some gel test we simply won't know.

Jamin said they are conducting gel tests for everything to add to the website
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm guessing those would be aac answer to the barns tsx. The barns have been pretty hard to get and seems like a shortage of the bullet. I would l9ve to see how the aac 70gr sbx compares to the aac 70 tsx.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm guessing those would be aac answer to the barns tsx. The barns have been pretty hard to get and seems like a shortage of the bullet. I would l9ve to see how the aac 70gr sbx compares to the aac 70 tsx.
View Quote

The TSX and GMX also varied in that the TSX was solid copper, and the GMX was gilding metal (95% copper and 5% zinc.)
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:45:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#21]
I just had a case rupture with the 75gr Sabre Blade.
Bought last week. Lot # in picture.

They need to get their brass dialed in

https://freeimage.host/i/dfdkKs2
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Here
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

Here
https://iili.io/dfdkKs2.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Luny421:

Here
https://iili.io/dfdkKs2.jpg

Ouch
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#24]
I shot my first 140 rounds or so of the OTM yesterday.

I started with a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. 18", 1/9 twist barrel, Nikon Monarch 5-20x44. It shot okay, but I'm used to shooting my own reloads that I've tuned just for that rifle so I'm not sure how the OTM stacks up against other factory ammo through this particular gun. I didn't write all the numbers down but there wasn't a huge FPS spread and it averaged 2775 FPS with 1½-2" 5-shot groups at 100.

Then I shot them through my A4. Legit FN 20", 1/7 A4 upper, stock milspec lower, TA31 ACOG. Holy shit those things were scary accurate through this rifle. About the same 2775 FPS but it was holding better groups at 100 than the bolt gun with a 20x scope. Sub-MOA with a stock A4 and an ACOG.

I didn't know this thread existed or I would've written down more data and taken pictures. I found it by googling who made the bullets for the AAC 77gr OTM. I definitely plan on buying more.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

I started with a Remington 700 SPS Tactical. 18", 1/9 twist barrel, Nikon Monarch 5-20x44. It shot okay, but I'm used to shooting my own reloads that I've tuned just for that rifle so I'm not sure how the OTM stacks up against other factory ammo through this particular gun. I didn't write all the numbers down but there wasn't a huge FPS spread and it averaged 2775 FPS with 1½-2" 5-shot groups at 100.

Then I shot them through my A4. Legit FN 20", 1/7 A4 upper, stock milspec lower, TA31 ACOG. Holy shit those things were scary accurate through this rifle. About the same 2775 FPS but it was holding better groups at 100 than the bolt gun with a 20x scope. Sub-MOA with a stock A4 and an ACOG.

I didn't know this thread existed or I would've written down more data and taken pictures. I found it by googling who made the bullets for the AAC 77gr OTM. I definitely plan on buying more.
View Quote

Does the Rem 700 usually stabilize 77gr projectiles with its 1:9twist?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 2:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#26]

View All Quotes

I've got no idea. This is the first time I've ever shot a 77gr projectile out of it and it's the only 1:9 gun I have. I figured 77gr was probably the borderline weight for a 1:9 and I was just curious.

ETA- This is the only target pic I have on my phone but it's pretty accurate with tuned 60gr and that's mostly what I've shot out of it.

Attachment Attached File

ETA2- just found this one. Another 3 shot group because I was ladder testing loads but pretty representative of what it can do with lighter stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#27]
In general my stuff pretty consistently prefers their 75BTHP loading to the OTM. I have some SMKs on order though and I’m optimistic. For the price this stuff is hard to beat. My higher end barrels routinely shoot this stuff sub-MOA.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:23:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan11b] [#28]

View Quote

What kind of barrel were you shooting it out of?
Did it get stuck in the chamber or cause any other malfunction?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I'm betting the 1/7 twist  had a lot to do with it
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#30]
Originally Posted By FloridaMan11b:

View Quote

223 Wylde Bolt gun. Hawk Hill barrel, Origin action.
This is the 2nd rupture I've had. 1st was with 77OTM.
No malfunctions or even fliers in the groups I was shooting.

That's what leads me to believe it's brittle/thin/weak brass, not an overcharge of any kind.

I'm sure people will point to the Wylde chamber, but I simply disagree. Unless it turns out all the ruptures noted online are in Wyldes. All I shoot is 5.56 loads with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#31]

That's what leads me to believe it's brittle/thin/weak brass, not an overcharge of any kind.

I'm sure people will point to the Wylde chamber, but I simply disagree. Unless it turns out all the ruptures noted online are in Wyldes. All I shoot is 5.56 loads with no problems.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FloridaMan11b:

Maybe they just need to anneal their brass better. I have no idea really. Thanks for sharing the details.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Hopefully Jman is looking into the split cases. There’s definitely enough of them out there that it’s an issue to look at from an optics standpoint for the company. Supplier issue for the cups they use for forming or their forming process?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
@Jman_JJE

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
Hopefully Jman is looking into the split cases. There’s definitely enough of them out there that it’s an issue to look at from an optics standpoint for the company. Supplier issue for the cups they use for forming or their forming process?
View Quote

Are they being seen across flavors or just the Sabre?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
View Quote

We are, similar to some of the dents that were seen early on. We have adjusted processes to fix that and are adjusting other processes to stop any splits. There have only been a tiny handful of splits when you consider the millions of rounds we are making per week. (We have seen about 20 split cases out of close to 100 million rounds made. Our goal is the make the highest quality brass in the world.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I only fired 15 rounds today but it all went bang.

Attachment Attached File

This was the last group of the day. I’ll have to go back and check my targets to see if it was the best one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#37]
4th of July sale still going, but ends at midnight!  $10.99/box for the 77gr OTM (and 75gr BTHP)…maybe I should pick up some more.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:
4th of July sale still going, but ends at midnight!  $10.99/box for the 77gr OTM (and 75gr BTHP)…maybe I should pick up some more.
View Quote

That seems to be a pretty regular price.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Wylde has a longer freebore than the NATO chamber.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:02:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#40]
Originally Posted By bpm990d:

Wylde has a longer freebore than the NATO chamber.
View Quote

Right, but the case area dimensions are the same.
And it's happened to people in 5.56 chambers too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By steve8140:

That seems to be a pretty regular price.
View Quote

Hoping the regularity of the sale price continues, but as we get closer to the election and with everything going on overseas you never know?!  Figured I’d remind anyone who was living under a rock.

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:31:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddlerocker] [#42]
Originally Posted By Jman_JJE:

We are, similar to some of the dents that were seen early on. We have adjusted processes to fix that and are adjusting other processes to stop any splits. There have only been a tiny handful of splits when you consider the millions of rounds we are making per week. (We have seen about 20 split cases out of close to 100 million rounds made. Our goal is the make the highest quality brass in the world.
View Quote

Really don't want to be a dbag here, but 20??

Listen, they don't seem to cause a stoppage or malfunction or even a flier in a group, but there's at least 20 posted online by now.
If your not policing your brass you wouldn't even know you had one. Not to mention the majority of people probably aren't going to post it online. And many wouldn't contact PSA because it doesn't cause any issue.

Ive personally had 2. One with 77OTM ordered 11/23 , and one on my fist box of 75 SB ordered last week. 9 Month separation.
Im 10% of all of them?

Its been noted in 5.56 and wylde chambers, between here and snipershide. (I don't even read reddit)

Again, its really not a big deal other than it doesn't happen with any other brass.

I would imagine its 20x what you think it is.

I still have my cases with the boxes if you want them. No one answered my email via PSA website from the first one, so didn't report the 2nd.

Im still going to buy it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Really don't want to be a dbag here, but 20??

Listen, they don't seem to cause a stoppage or malfunction or even a flier in a group, but there's at least 20 posted online by now.
If your not policing your brass you wouldn't even know you had one. Not to mention the majority of people probably aren't going to post it online. And many wouldn't contact PSA because it doesn't cause any issue.

Ive personally had 2. One with 77OTM ordered 11/23 , and one on my fist box of 75 SB ordered last week. 9 Month separation.
Im 10% of all of them?

Its been noted in 5.56 and wylde chambers, between here and snipershide. (I don't even read reddit)

Again, its really not a big deal other than it doesn't happen with any other brass.

I would imagine its 20x what you think it is.

I still have my cases with the boxes if you want them. No one answered my email via PSA website from the first one, so didn't report the 2nd.

Im still going to buy it.
View Quote

It does happen with other brass. It's Posted all the time all over the place when people get split cases, separations, or blown primers. You are now the one  being dishonest.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#44]

It does happen with other brass. It's Posted all the time all over the place when people get split cases, separations, or blown primers. You are now the one  being dishonest.
View Quote

Aight
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#45]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:46:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#46]

I think that is backwards...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171545/IMG_5_56-vs-_223-3261727.jpg
View Quote

223 rem is not 223 wylde.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:52:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#47]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#48]

My bad, I realized the image was .223, rather than .223 Wylde.

I have fixed it now.

Non the less... the Wylde freebore is shorter then a 5.56 NATO freebore
View Quote

So you are saying .0619 is shorter than .0566?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:17:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#50]

Ooof... it is the freebore diameter I was thinking about.  

Sorry, been a long day. I had to put down my 14yo German Shepard today.

Apparently I am not thinking as clearly as I thought.

Again.... I was wrong.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that. It sucks when we loose our furry family members. It's all good. Glad you could post that chart anyhow.
Page / 14
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top