Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2024 1:55:02 PM EDT
I have a full auto SP1 conversion and I have heard that sometimes the holes in the lower egg out.

I'm curious if those KNS pin protector kits are any good or do anything.

I started a thread on getting a 9mm upper, and nobody even mentioned the KNS kit, which is kind of telling, because supposedly 9mm uppers chew up lowers.  

Considering how valuable the FA SP1 is, I'm wondering what can be done to harden it against damage.

So I guess the questions are:

1. What kind of damage is done to ARs by shooting them,

and

2. What is done to prevent it?

I never really did any mods on my ARs before, so I'm kind of a newbie.  I'm actually kind of surprised by how little knowledge I managed to pick up on the subject over the years.

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try posting in this forum: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/M-16/23/
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a full auto SP1 conversion and I have heard that sometimes the holes in the lower egg out.

I'm curious if those KNS pin protector kits are any good or do anything.

I started a thread on getting a 9mm upper, and nobody even mentioned the KNS kit, which is kind of telling, because supposedly 9mm uppers chew up lowers.  

Considering how valuable the FA SP1 is, I'm wondering what can be done to harden it against damage.

So I guess the questions are:

1. What kind of damage is done to ARs by shooting them,

and

2. What is done to prevent it?

I never really did any mods on my ARs before, so I'm kind of a newbie.  I'm actually kind of surprised by how little knowledge I managed to pick up on the subject over the years.

View Quote

Ive read KNS pins are even worse to use with a 9mm upper. If a pin breaks, you likely will not know leading to even worse egging.

I dont shoot 9mm in my m16, but if i was going id use either Mean arms or CMMG delayed blowback systems.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you’re overthinking it. They’ve been around since early 60’s. You’re GTG.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might try posting in this forum: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/M-16/23/
View Quote

I thought about that, but I was curious to see what kind of damage and wear the semi-auto versions show.

I'm starting out at square one here, I've owned 6 ARs, but they were all safe queens and I never did any mods or upgrades
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Edit:

Non issue.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to shoot 9mm, buy a subgun.  I considered the pins for mine, but then I thought about the 80%ers I’ve finished and how hard that aluminum is to drill through.  No pins on mine and I doubt that I will put enough 5.56 and .22lr through it to wear it out.  Mine is a Fleming SP1 and I have three subguns and zero plans on getting or assembling a 9mm upper.
Check the M16 forum here and look for some of Amphibian’s links to info on his site.  He has some good info on 9mm conversions that I would use if going down that road.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I added KNS anti-rotation pins to my RR SP1 early on but still broke one of the pins. I can't say whether it was due to shooting a Oly 9mm upper or some suppressed Beta mag dumps but it was almost impossible to tell it was broken.

Changed back to standard pins and it has been setup that way for 20 years, no elongated or worn out holes yet. I really don't shoot the 9mm upper much these days but do shoot a ton of 22LR and haven't had a problem.

One KNS pin I do believe is worth installing is their non-rotating sear pin for the SP1. I could see the standard pin rotating and tend to think since this hole wasn't anodized after being drilled the KNS pin eliminates whatever possible wear may occur there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I used KNS non-rotating pins on my two m16s for almost 20 years, until I swapped to a Geissele SSF. The KNS “arms” burnished the anodizing on my factory Colt lower. I removed them and haven’t used them since.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
If you don’t already have your 9mm upper:

A CMMG radial delayed blowback upper theoretically would be softer on lower frame pins but I don’t know if anyone has any long term experience or hard data. They are quieter with a can (less port pop) but the ejector springs inside the bolt don’t last long, maybe 1000 rounds. The delayed blowback setup with bolt weights also gets you away from swapping in heavy buffers. Endo mags preclude mag well adapters. Gets expensive but manual arms and mag pouches for AR mags serve double duty.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 3:05:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I won't use a 9mm setup on a valuable transferable lower.

That said, 30 years and a lot of FA fire later my transferable SP1 hasn't damaged the pin holes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top