Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2024 12:50:44 PM EDT
So after many years, I finally paired my radian adac lower with a geissele 14.5 upper. Now I’m researching optics and mounts, mainly red dot/holos as I’m not too into lvpo or acogs. I want to have a useful home defense optic but be able to hit the range to run and gun and potentially run NV down the road. I’ve looked into the trijicon mro hd, holosun 503/515/530 and aems, multiple aimpoints, eotech and a few sig optics. As for mounts it seems like most run the scalarworks or unity mounts. Can anyone make other recommendations on some I’ve missed, add some photos of their similar setups or give me so opinions to narrow down my lists.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint T2 in a Reptilia mount
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy once cry once is aimpoint T2 w magnifier. It's best for HD, and suitable for NV, a eotech w magnifier would be best for NV and suitable for HD.

Both with unity magnifier mount and accompanying height optic mount of your choice at 2.25"
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 1:27:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#3]
Aimpoint T-2 or an Eotech Exps3

Scalarworks has systems for those.   Unity is great if you like the 2.25 and FTC magnifier mount

Sphur makes a badass magnifier / micro mount for the T-2 now as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don’t want or need the built-in rear sight on the Unity T2 mount, you can save some money and get the Midwest Ind NV-height T2 mount. It still allows you to use BUIS.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Elcan Specter 1-4x
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Tangent Theta.  Heinsoldt, US Optics, Nightforce ATACR, oh you really didn’t mean the expensive stuff, Aimpoint and call it good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Aimpoint T2 for your intended use. Long enough battery life to leave on constantly for HD and good passive NV performance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have zero love for any EOTech of any kind and refuse to recommend them for any reason other than for people that like a fuzzy cluttered reticle and like to use BUIS at awkward moments.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Give the Trijicon TA01 a chance.  I like it's simple crosshair reticle design and found that it's ranging points work with far more types of ammo than it is supposed to.  I have been using one since the late 1980's and the only issue was that over time the brightness of the tritium got a little dull so I sent it back to be refreshed and it is back to like new.  I have abused the living hell out of that optic and it has never lost it's zero, never wandered, and the reticle is very simple to understand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
T2 on your mount of choice.  I prefer Unity.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Aimpoint, nightforce, trijicon.  

Pretty much all I want to use for a duty type firearm.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Aimpoint T2 with a magnifier. I Like Scalarworks mounts, they are light durable and look good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:03:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#13]
If prone isn't going to be much more than a zeroing thing for you, I'd do this Spuhr mount if you have the cash.

ETA: Complete Setup
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought this was a Nightforce thread.
For just a dot, aim point or eo tech and call it a day. I don’t like magnifiers , would rather have a 1-6.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
Buy once cry once is aimpoint T2 w magnifier. It's best for HD, and suitable for NV, a eotech w magnifier would be best for NV and suitable for HD.

Both with unity magnifier mount and accompanying height optic mount of your choice at 2.25"
View Quote

That is really well and clearly put, I agree with this assessment 100% , to me the end all, be all of red dots is the T2.  Night vision usage brings an eotech more into the picture, but durability and battery life of the t2 make it king.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I would not run a Unity mount. Be a man and run 1/3, bring the optic to your eye not your face to the gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 11:21:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#17]
Originally Posted By TBone556:
I would not run a Unity mount. Be a man and run 1/3, bring the optic to your eye not your face to the gun.
View Quote

We know, you're always talking about them. Ever try one?

Anyway, part of the philosophy of Unity height is to make the gun work for you, not you work around the gun ("face to the gun"...?). That, and it was basically the lowest possible while still letting certain magnifiers flip-to-center under the optic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]

EXPS + 3X magnifier is my suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#19]
AimPoint M4s
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Honestly it's ugly but my favorite holo has been the Vortex Razor AMG.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By pewpew300WM:
So after many years, I finally paired my radian adac lower with a geissele 14.5 upper. Now I’m researching optics and mounts, mainly red dot/holos as I’m not too into lvpo or acogs. I want to have a useful home defense optic but be able to hit the range to run and gun and potentially run NV down the road. I’ve looked into the trijicon mro hd, holosun 503/515/530 and aems, multiple aimpoints, eotech and a few sig optics. As for mounts it seems like most run the scalarworks or unity mounts. Can anyone make other recommendations on some I’ve missed, add some photos of their similar setups or give me so opinions to narrow down my lists.
View Quote

You're putting way too much thought into this.  If home defense and running and gunning is your concern, a 14.5 may not have been the best way to go anyway.

There are going to be MANY recommendations for the Aimpoint T2, simply because it been around for a long time and has earned a reputation for reliability. It also has good performance for night vision use.

These days, red dot reliability has become less of a concern as even cheap red dots have proven themselves reliable. The question is one of which will work best with nightvision.

Eotech is reputedly the best with the Aimpoint closely following. There has also been the newest iteration of the romeo4t line which apparently does very well with night vision. What I like about the Romeo is that it's made of 7075 aluminum and comes with a mount made of 7075 as well. One less thing to worry about.

You also need to be honest with yourself with the whole nightvision thing. Is it something that you really need to worry about? The rig the rifle out for the use of a capability that you don't have and may actually never have is foolish. Unless you're on the bigger side, running a 1.93 or taller optic kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By runguns:
Elcan Specter 1-4x
View Quote

This with an rmr HD on top.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#23]
You might talk me right into a sbr build as with a can you may be correct in saying it’s not ideal. I’m not 100% dead set on nv, more of a want down the road. I mainly want an optic that is capable of being used with nv so down the road I don’t need to upgrade, if it comes down to buying a different mount that’s not a big deal for me. I’m definitely leaning towards the t2 with a magnifier or the eotech with a magnifier just haven’t been able to handle either to see which I’d like.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#24]
You might talk me right into a sbr build as with a can you may be correct in saying it’s not ideal. I’m not 100% dead set on nv, more of a want down the road. I mainly want an optic that is capable of being used with nv so down the road I don’t need to upgrade, if it comes down to buying a different mount that’s not a big deal for me. I’m definitely leaning towards the t2 with a magnifier or the eotech with a magnifier just haven’t been able to handle either to see which I’d like.
View Quote

I am not a magnifier fan. Just a straight up T2 and call it day. Light, easy to handle, perfect for everything from 100 yards on in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Aimpoint T2 in a Larue mount

I have a couple and they are built tough

Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#26]
March Optics dual focal plain 1-10
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#27]
T2 with magnifier, both on Scalarworks mounts. Coming to this after I can't tell you how many optics in the last 23 years to include multiple Nightforces, multiple Leupolds, Multiple Trijicons (including multiple ACOG's). I think something like this is the best fit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#28]
You might talk me right into a sbr build as with a can you may be correct in saying it's not ideal. I'm not 100% dead set on nv, more of a want down the road. I mainly want an optic that is capable of being used with nv so down the road I don't need to upgrade, if it comes down to buying a different mount that's not a big deal for me. I'm definitely leaning towards the t2 with a magnifier or the eotech with a magnifier just haven't been able to handle either to see which I'd like.
View Quote

Eotech is great with NV, but it can't be left on for home defense. T2 does both well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:34:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#29]
Red dot:
T2 or Comp M5 in Arisaka 2.26” mount
Eotech g33 3x magnifier in Unity flip down mount.

Lpvo:
NF nx8 1-8 or atacr 1-8 in a Reptilia or Badger C1 mount with piggyback ACRO P2

Other:
Acog with piggyback ACRO P2.

Re: nv use, you’ll want a laser. Passive is good as a back up, but you’ll want to save for a decent laser too. The Designate IR-V is outstanding in its performance, control placement, size, and cost.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Elcan Specter 1-4x
View Quote

Gross. Only relevant for cloning at this point given other contemporary options.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

Gross. Only relevant for cloning at this point given other contemporary options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Elcan Specter 1-4x

Yep
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:

I am not a magnifier fan. Just a straight up T2 and call it day. Light, easy to handle, perfect for everything from 100 yards on in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/FCF0D819-5BAA-475D-93D9-017D8D38CC0C_jpe-3325211.JPG
View Quote

Just today, I zeroed my acro p2 12 o clock mount and verified zero of my Nx8. Just 3 shot groups, as this was more of a zero verification and not a statistical thing. Both optics allowed me to print 1moa 3 shot groups at 100m. Group size was identical. The difference was that with the p2, I was placing the dot in the center of a B9. With the nx8, I was able to actually aim at the bullseye.

A lot of people will shoot a 1moa group with rds, and a 1moa group with scope of magnifier, and call it good either way, but engaging non-contrasting targets will quickly show a superiority of magnified optic past about 50 yards regarding ability to make real world hits on real world things and not just highly contrasted B series targets in good light.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Red dot:
T2 or Comp M5 in Arisaka 2.26” mount
Eotech g33 3x magnifier in Unity flip down mount.

Lpvo:
NF nx8 1-8 or atacr 1-8 in a Reptilia or Badger C1 mount with piggyback ACRO P2

Other:
Acog with piggyback ACRO P2.

Re: nv use, you’ll want a laser. Passive is good as a back up, but you’ll want to save for a decent laser too. The Designate IR-V is outstanding in its performance, control placement, size, and cost.
View Quote

I'm using an Nx8 in a Reptilia and in a c1, both acro p2 at 12. Reptilia is better.

I keep thinking about t2+mag, but in unity ftc, that's just shy of 20oz. My above setup is 27oz. It gives me 2-5x (depending on mag) more,  variable, etched reticle, good height for precision work AND for NV work. In short, it's really really hard to value 7oz over the mag well high enough to compromise on it. If it were so, 20rd mags would be the go to.

Attachment Attached File

The laser is nice, but aiming with the p2 is just as, if not easier, at least from conventional positions. The illuminator is indispensable, though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Trijicon TA31 with chevron for me
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By gunner76:
Aimpoint T2 with a magnifier. I Like Scalarworks mounts, they are light durable and look good.
View Quote

THIS!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Just today, I zeroed my acro p2 12 o clock mount and verified zero of my Nx8. Just 3 shot groups, as this was more of a zero verification and not a statistical thing. Both optics allowed me to print 1moa 3 shot groups at 100m. Group size was identical. The difference was that with the p2, I was placing the dot in the center of a B9. With the nx8, I was able to actually aim at the bullseye.

A lot of people will shoot a 1moa group with rds, and a 1moa group with scope of magnifier, and call it good either way, but engaging non-contrasting targets will quickly show a superiority of magnified optic past about 50 yards regarding ability to make real world hits on real world things and not just highly contrasted B series targets in good light.
View Quote

I agree with everything in this post, but it's not relevant for the OP's intended use of home defense.

I guess it depends on the OP's definition of "hit the range to run and gun."
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

I agree with everything in this post, but it's not relevant for the OP's intended use of home defense.

I guess it depends on the OP's definition of "hit the range to run and gun."
View Quote

You're not wrong. For OP, I'd slap a T2 or Comp M5s on a 1.93 (or 1.54 with the M5s=1.93ish) mount. That said, I think a realistic discussion of the limitations needs to be had, as above, because far too many people think that just because they can shoot 1moa groups with a RDS at 100 yards by centering the dot on a contrasting symmetrical target that it's going to translate into the real world, and it just isn't so.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#38]
For the whole run and gun, I’m mainly talking about shooting steel 50 yards or less, more of a stress course. Close combat, reloads and ringing steel.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#39]
For the whole run and gun, I’m mainly talking about shooting steel 50 yards or less, more of a stress course. Close combat, reloads and ringing steel.
View Quote

I kinda like my M4 SBS for that, but year, T2 or M5s at a 1.93" height is my pick.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

View Quote

I have shot people at 100 yards with a RDS no problem. Magnifiers get in the way for me. To each their own
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:

I have shot people at 100 yards with a RDS no problem. Magnifiers get in the way for me. To each their own
View Quote

People using cover or people in the open?
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Eotech EXPS-3-0 if you’re going to get into nightvision.

You absolutely can’t go wrong with a Aimpoint t2 either.

Saying that Eotech just rocks for passive NV shooting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Elcan Specter 1-4x
View Quote

This. I don’t own one, but hear they work really well. If it doesn’t, so what. It looks really cool.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top