User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
While I use a 1-6x on my main rifle now days I still have 4x optics and I don’t feel that it’s an incapable power range at all. My all time favorite optic over the years has been a TA31 ACOG and that’s 4x. Also I think it’s hard to beat a fixed 4x scope for most hunting applications unless you’re in the mountains hunting at extended ranges, shooting prairie dogs, or something similar. And honestly most people aren’t usually shooting past 300 yards at their local range either, if that even. Sure, an argument for more power can be made for those ranges but it doesn’t mean that 4x isn’t perfectly capable for it. I would think the biggest driving force behind it would be your intended use and especially with an 11.5” barrel I think it would be a good fit but you’re the only one that can truly answer that question for yourself and your needs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Great thread !!

I really love my 1-4 Creedo with the 5.56 BDC.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I really enjoy my vortex pst 1-4 I got cheap a couple years back. Light and handy and 4x magnification is pleanty for most of my shooting i do. Even when I get the opportunity for some up too 400 yard targets 4x is fine. I can still hit those distances with irons on torso sized targets.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m surprised the Elcan only got brought up once in this thread.  Are people’s experiences here that negative it’s typically only considered for a clone build?  I have zero experience but have always been interested
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sticman77:
I'm surprised the Elcan only got brought up once in this thread.  Are people's experiences here that negative it's typically only considered for a clone build?  I have zero experience but have always been interested
View Quote
I'd love one, but they are too rich for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SPTiger:
I need an optic for this 14.5”. I’ve got a TA31 with a piggybacked RMR on my other 14.5”, but I really want to try a LPVO. I have an older 1.25-4x that I had on my 12” 6.8 SPC back in the day before LPVO became all the rage, but I want a true 1x.  I was seriously considering the Trijicon 1-6x Accupoint or Credo but I can’t decide. I know I don’t want FFP. I have no need for it because my range is only out to 150 yards. Technically I can shoot 300 yards because I can see my backstop from my back porch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41398/IMG_1249-3306985.jpg
View Quote

Get the credo 1-6 with a red BDC, badger COMM is the best mount for top or offset dots
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TBone556:

Get the credo 1-6 with a red BDC, badger COMM is the best mount for top or offset dots
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I need an optic for this 14.5”. I’ve got a TA31 with a piggybacked RMR on my other 14.5”, but I really want to try a LPVO. I have an older 1.25-4x that I had on my 12” 6.8 SPC back in the day before LPVO became all the rage, but I want a true 1x.  I was seriously considering the Trijicon 1-6x Accupoint or Credo but I can’t decide. I know I don’t want FFP. I have no need for it because my range is only out to 150 yards. Technically I can shoot 300 yards because I can see my backstop from my back porch.

I ended up getting a Leupold Mark 4 1-4.5x from Bass Pro. Granted, Bass Pro isn't the first place I search for optics, but I had a buttload of points and gift cards to use there. Only after I ordered the Leupold did I see the 1-6x Credo. The one they stock has the green BDC reticle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like the 1-6 credo
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 6:57:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LettersFromEarth] [#9]

I ended up getting a Leupold Mark 4 1-4.5x from Bass Pro. Granted, Bass Pro isn't the first place I search for optics, but I had a buttload of points and gift cards to use there. Only after I ordered the Leupold did I see the 1-6x Credo. The one they stock has the green BDC reticle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The Credo 1-6 is the optic that got me to actually "like" LPVOs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I split the difference and stayed with my Burris XTRll in 1-5x....

5x is plenty for my needs.

Link Posted: 9/21/2024 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Another TR24 lover, here. Lightweight, dead simple, good glass.

There's no free lunch but even though I have some 1-8 NX8s, I'll never part with my TR24s.
Link Posted: Today 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]
This place costs me so much money...

Found a really good deal on a barely-used Accupoint 1-4 in the EE, and I figured I see what all the fuss was about.  It wasn't the reticle I wanted (it's the German #4), but I don't dislike it, and it was a really good deal.  Put it in an Aero lightweight mount, mounted on an 11.5" carbine, and I absolutely love it.  Zeroed at 200, it's a perfect 300 yard and in capable gun, and incredibly lightweight / great handling.

Thanks for making me spend my money--for real.
Link Posted: Today 7:26:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#13]
To me 1-4’s were eclipsed by 1-6’s. They don’t sacrifice anything on the bottom end yet give you extra 2x. I think that sfp 1-6 is peak LPVO performance. After that there are too many trade offs that really render ffp/8x + lpvos sub-par to lower power lpvo or traditional 2+ low end optics.

Originally Posted By JohnDough:

My nx8 tends to degrade more above 6x, but even if I "cap" it at 6x, it's a robust, compact, 17oz daylight bright illuminated ffp reticle with mil grid wind holds, and that's a helluva 1-6*.
View Quote

FFP on anything less then 10x is quite literally retarded. You’re either on the low end OR the high end in that range so it negates need for FFP. Even if you for some odd reason find yourself in between 1-6 your’re likely at a range where you won’t need drops and you won’t be able to make them out on an ffp reticle anyway. The “benefit” of FFP in lpvo comes at expense of field of view, tunneling, depth of view, and image quality.
Link Posted: Today 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:
This place costs me so much money...

Found a really good deal on a barely-used Accupoint 1-4 in the EE, and I figured I see what all the fuss was about.  It wasn't the reticle I wanted (it's the German #4), but I don't dislike it, and it was a really good deal.  Put it in an Aero lightweight mount, mounted on an 11.5" carbine, and I absolutely love it.  Zeroed at 200, it's a perfect 300 yard and in capable gun, and incredibly lightweight / great handling.

Thanks for making me spend my money--for real.
View Quote

Glad you like it. It's a good unit within its envelope.
Link Posted: Today 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep wanting another TR24, but have nothing to put it on. 2 is one....
Link Posted: Today 12:09:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ag04blast] [#16]
My go to rifle has a Vortex 1-4 PST.  I really love the 1-4. Field of view is excellent, works well in low light and easy transition.  I am either at 1x or 4x, so for me it works out. Other plus is weight, some of these 1-8 and 1-10 offerings that everyone is hot on are heavy pigs.  Only thing I need to do is finish up my 3d printed cat tail.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top