Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2024 12:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1badf350]
Anyone have experience with these rifles. I cant find much info out there. Specs say just a bit over 7lbs.
https://www.f4defense.com/product/sf10-small-frame-308-win/
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
POF Prescott, a nice scope, and a suppressor could be had for that price.
The Prescott is 7 lbs out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a DPMS Gen 2 length receiver.  Go POF or Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 3:33:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cal308] [#4]
I just got a SF10 in 308 and I absolutely love it. I am not aware of any other manufacturer offering such an accuracy at the given weight considerations. As already mentioned, it is DPMS Gen 2 based. Mine has a 20" stainless Criterion barrel with a 10" twist.

So far I tested it up to 100m and the 1/2 MOA claim doesn't seem to be unrealistic, I got a 4 shot group with 0.44MOA that got opened up to 0.7MOA with the 5th shot, but that might also be my fault as a shooter since I am new to 308 gas guns and I still need more time behind it. This was shot using factory Hornady 168gr BTHP match ammo. Since the topside of the hand guard is slotted, I was also getting hot barrel mirage, which might have contributed to the single flyer.

On Friday I will get the chance to try the SF10 out to up to 1000m, I will report back once I know more.

Link Posted: 6/21/2024 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried the SF10 out to longer ranges today using 308 Hornady 168gr BTHP factory ammo. I am very happy with the accuracy at longer ranges, I was able to reliably hit a 10 inch size steel gong at 900yd, which is a ~1MOA target at that distance. At 650yd I was able to achieve a 4 shot group of 0.4MOA, which is very impressive with factory ammo.

Initially I was having some stovepipe issues, where a fresh round was stripped from the magazine and slammed into the ejected casing. This was caused by overgassing since the used Hornady ammo is a very hot load. But I was able to resolve this issue by using the bleed off mode of the Superlative Arms gas block with the adjustment screw backed out to around 40 clicks. The ~100 rounds I fired after this didn't cause any jamming and weaker 7.62×51 ammo also still ran fine with the bolt locking back after the last round.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cal308:
I tried the SF10 out to longer ranges today using 308 Hornady 168gr BTHP factory ammo. I am very happy with the accuracy at longer ranges, I was able to reliably hit a 10 inch size steel gong at 900yd, which is a ~1MOA target at that distance. At 650yd I was able to achieve a 4 shot group of 0.4MOA, which is very impressive with factory ammo.

Initially I was having some stovepipe issues, where a fresh round was stripped from the magazine and slammed into the ejected casing. This was caused by overgassing since the used Hornady ammo is a very hot load. But I was able to resolve this issue by using the bleed off mode of the Superlative Arms gas block with the adjustment screw backed out to around 40 clicks. The ~100 rounds I fired after this didn't cause any jamming and weaker 7.62×51 ammo also still ran fine with the bolt locking back after the last round.
View Quote

This is great info. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cal308:  I tried the SF10 out to longer ranges today using 308 Hornady 168gr BTHP factory ammo. I am very happy with the accuracy at longer ranges, I was able to reliably hit a 10 inch size steel gong at 900yd, which is a ~1MOA target at that distance. At 650yd I was able to achieve a 4 shot group of 0.4MOA, which is very impressive with factory ammo.

View Quote

Good shooting!  Are y'all limited to 10 round mags in Czechia?
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 8:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sowinskian] [#8]
I have 3-5 DPMS G2s in a variety of configs.  My experience is, I built a 6.75lb one with rifle gas, adjustable gas block, brake, and A5 receiver extension running a standard Carbine weight buffer.  It was great for carrying but sucked for shooting.  Recoil was punishing even with all that.  Sure you could handle it, but you wouldn't want to.  I rebuilt it into a 7.5lb rifle that's much more pleasant at the range.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't build a sub 7.25lb AR10 unless I was gonna be carrying it on my back for miles and shoot it rarely.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sowinskian:
I have 3-5 DPMS G2s in a variety of configs.  My experience is, I built a 6.75lb one with rifle gas, adjustable gas block, brake, and A5 receiver extension running a standard Carbine weight buffer.  It was great for carrying but sucked for shooting.  Recoil was punishing even with all that.  Sure you could handle it, but you wouldn't want to.  I rebuilt it into a 7.5lb rifle that's much more pleasant at the range.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't build a sub 7.25lb AR10 unless I was gonna be carrying it on my back for miles and shoot it rarely.
View Quote

My G2 is 7.2 lbs with only MBUS.
Wait, that may have been weighed without a 4 oz SiCo ASR brake, but I don't remember.

It has an adjustable gas block for baseline, and adjustable gas tube for suppressor and load tuning.
The midlength gas system is inherently harsh.

It's running a DPMS 308 buffer with LWRC UCIW spring to keep the standard M4 buffer tube without the ridiculously heavy factory spring.

It's a Recon that I had the barrel turned down from 1" to .8" behind the gas block to shed weight.

My 6 lb POF Rogue isn't terrible to shoot, unless I add a can.
Then, it's way overgassed, and harsh, but still runs.
No gas adjustment on it, yet.
Reminds me of an AK's harshness.

For sure, the heavier guns rule for static precision, but the lighter ones rule for portability and dynamic handling.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:19:16 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, I’m curious about your planned use for such a gun.

I’d consider that gun expensive, and I’d prefer a heavier gun for recoil reduction.  The .5 MOA guarantee certainly is appealing!
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Scott_S:  OP, I’m curious about your planned use for such a gun.

I’d consider that gun expensive, and I’d prefer a heavier gun for recoil reduction.  The .5 MOA guarantee certainly is appealing!
View Quote

Lightweight .308s get heavy scopes.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a boat anchor of a scope on my boat anchor large frame AR.

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1badf350] [#13]
Originally Posted By Scott_S:
OP, I’m curious about your planned use for such a gun.

View Quote

This is Arfcom. There is no plan. LOL
I was just curious because the manufacturer is close to me. I have two 308 ARs. Both RRA LAR-8 using Fal Mags.
I don’t know much about 308 ARs. I just want something good, reliable, and easy to source parts, common mags.
I’m not saying the RRAs are lacking. So far they are not.
Is there a standard “spec” to 308s like the 5.56 ARs? It doesn’t seam so but, again, I don’t know.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:57:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: COMMAND450] [#14]
Originally Posted By 1badf350:

I was just curious because the manufacturer is close to me. I have two 308 ARs. Both RRA LAR-8 using Fal Mags.
I don’t know much about 308 ARs. I just want something good, reliable, and easy to source parts, common mags.
Is there a standard “spec” to 308s like the 5.56 ARs? It doesn’t seam so but, again, I don’t know.
View Quote

Then you need to stick with a DPMS pattern from one the common manufacturers and skip worrying about 2 lbs of less weight, IMO. Lots of great new designs out there!! What looks good on paper and worked well in development, often does not carry over in production or real life usage,historically for companies  and their "new parts designs".  Some work out and are successful financially for the company. Over the past decades, we have seen many wind up in the AR graveyard.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cal308:

View Quote

If I am reading you right....You first said you got .44 MOA at 100 yards, now you are getting .4 MOA at 650 yards!!!  what range are you shooting at?
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scott_S:  OP, I’m curious about your planned use for such a gun.

There is no standard in .308 cartridge length ARs.

The closest to a standard was the DPMS Gen 1 - and that had 3 heights of uppers.

Arguably the best deal going right now is the Ruger SFAR, the 16" is 7.1 lbs out of the box, and it's an AR-15 length receiver.

DPMS Gen 2 is out of production, but a shorter length & thus lighter gun than the Gen 1 - but heavier than the AR-15 length receivers in the POF & Ruger.

Armalite is same length & weight as DPMS Gen 1, but mostly incompatible receivers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 12:32:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#17]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

There is no standard in .308 cartridge length ARs.

The closest to a standard was the DPMS Gen 1 - and that had 3 heights of uppers.

Arguably the best deal going right now is the Ruger SFAR, the 16" is 7.1 lbs out of the box, and it's an AR-15 length receiver.

DPMS Gen 2 is out of production, but a shorter length & thus lighter gun than the Gen 1 - but heavier than the AR-15 length receivers in the POF & Ruger.

Armalite is same length & weight as DPMS Gen 1, but mostly incompatible receivers.
View Quote

The SFAR is a hotrod for sure, but I'm not sure it's really an AR10 (or LR-308 as you point out) replacement. It is mostly an AR15 lower, but the rest of it is proprietary. Maybe things will change in the future, but you can't just go buy a Bartlein SFAR barrel right now. Ruger does ok on barrels, but they are not world class. An SFAR is not an MOA rifle, at least most of them wont. Maybe some get a lucky barrel. For me, the SFAR is the lightest semi-auto 308 that is reasonably priced right now. It's does that job well.

I don't know much about the DPMS gen 2. They were here and gone in the blink of an eye. I don't look much, but it sure seems like 95% of the stuff out there for "AR10" is the Gen 1 even today. It looks like the Gen 2, even being shorter, was still an 8.5+ pound rifle empty. Still better than the 9.5+ pound Gen 1, but what it has going for it is the accuracy. People have figured out how to get accuracy from them, and there are some really, really good shooting ones out there for half the price of this SF10 rifle we see here.

That said, if you have the money, this SF10 rifle, very light weight, fantastic quality barrel, more than likely under 3/4 MOA. There's not a lot out there I've seen that can do that in a semi auto.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

The SFAR is a hotrod for sure, but I'm not sure it's really an AR10 (or LR-308 as you point out) replacement. It is mostly an AR15 lower, but the rest of it is proprietary. Maybe things will change in the future, but you can't just go buy a Bartlein SFAR barrel right now. Ruger does ok on barrels, but they are not world class. An SFAR is not an MOA rifle, at least most of them wont. Maybe some get a lucky barrel. For me, the SFAR is the lightest semi-auto 308 that is reasonably priced right now. It's does that job well.

I don't know much about the DPMS gen 2. They were here and gone in the blink of an eye. I don't look much, but it sure seems like 95% of the stuff out there for "AR10" is the Gen 1 even today. It looks like the Gen 2, even being shorter, was still an 8.5+ pound rifle empty. Still better than the 9.5+ pound Gen 1, but what it has going for it is the accuracy. People have figured out how to get accuracy from them, and there are some really, really good shooting ones out there for half the price of this SF10 rifle we see here.

That said, if you have the money, this SF10 rifle, very light weight, fantastic quality barrel, more than likely under 3/4 MOA. There's not a lot out there I've seen that can do that in a semi auto.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  There is no standard in .308 cartridge length ARs.

Tromix has announced SFAR barrels.

The lower of the SFAR & POF are decidedly not AR-15 lowers - they're AR-15 length lowers, but the entire FCG & thus pistol grip is shifted to the rear to make room for the .308 length magazine well.  So they're proprietary - in the same way any .308 class AR is that isn't a DPMS Gen 1 pattern.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#19]

The lower of the SFAR & POF are decidedly not AR-15 lowers - they're AR-15 length lowers, but the entire FCG & thus pistol grip is shifted to the rear to make room for the .308 length magazine well.  So they're proprietary - in the same way any .308 class AR is that isn't a DPMS Gen 1 pattern.
View Quote

Tromix makes specialty barrels and uppers. Ive never seen where they have the ability to do accuracy on the level of Bartlein or Keriger or a brand like that. I'm not saying they don't, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Well, yeah, obviously the SFAR lower uses SR-25 magazines, but that's the only thing not AR-15 about it. All the parts in or on them are AR-15.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I didn't break out the calipers, but as far as I can tell Ruger didn't move anything for the SFAR. if the mag well didn't get in the way it looks like an AR-15 upper would work on it. The grip appears to be in the same location as the AR-15, and it is an ar-15 grip.

Even in the upper, the BCG and barrel are the proprietary parts. The charging handle and handguard are ar-15.

From what I can tell the SFAR is the least proprietary 308 semi auto made today. That's one reason I got one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't break out the calipers, but as far as I can tell Ruger didn't move anything for the SFAR. if the mag well didn't get in the way it looks like an AR-15 upper would work on it. The grip appears to be in the same location as the AR-15, and it is an ar-15 grip.

Even in the upper, the BCG and barrel are the proprietary parts. The charging handle and handguard are ar-15.

From what I can tell the SFAR is the least proprietary 308 semi auto made today. That's one reason I got one.
View Quote

No, the grip is shifted to the rear with the safety detent channel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 5:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: badkarmaiii] [#22]

View All Quotes

Yep, hence the filler piece becase the grip beavertail extends past the back of the receiver.
They, basically, made a less expensive POF Rogue with a longer handguard, and factory adjustable gas.
I do like that Ruger fully shrouded the firing pin, but POF claims no issues with the firing pin cocking the hammer most of the way.
We shall see...
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Tromix makes specialty barrels and uppers. Ive never seen where they have the ability to do accuracy on the level of Bartlein or Keriger or a brand like that. I'm not saying they don't, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Well, yeah, obviously the SFAR lower uses SR-25 magazines, but that's the only thing not AR-15 about it. All the parts in or on them are AR-15.
View All Quotes

Firing pin is 1/2" longer .... upper is wider over the magwell ... bolt carrier is relieved to clear ar10 mag feed lips
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:

Firing pin is 1/2" longer .... upper is wider over the magwell ... bolt carrier is relieved to clear ar10 mag feed lips
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:

Don't forget the extended hammer clearance cut, ejection port, and shortened gas key tail, on top of all that above.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top