Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2022 1:59:52 AM EDT
I love everything about the rifle. Compactness, weight, pretty good accuracy, mild recoil impulse, fully ambi controls, adjustable gas block, etc. I have done as much research as possible. And I can’t find many glaring problems with this model or the company. Alabama Arsenal did a great review on it and did a comparison video of it against the scar. Overall, it just seems like the whole package. The only thing that would make it better is if it was side charging like a JP rifle, but you can’t have it all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:13:26 AM EDT
[#1]
That’s a cool video for sure
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I own several large frame platforms. My GOAT is my GAP 308.

My next .308 will be a POF revo.
They seem to be a great value and I’ve always noticed positives from real world owners.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I know the GAP is supposed to be a nail driver.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I got all kinds of 308s, G2s, DPMS, FAL, G3s, RFB, SCAR 17, etc...  The Rogue would be my go to in a SHTF situation.  The weight is phenomenal.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  I love everything about the rifle. Compactness, weight, pretty good accuracy, mild recoil impulse, fully ambi controls, adjustable gas block, etc. I have done as much research as possible. And I can’t find many glaring problems with this model or the company. Alabama Arsenal did a great review on it and did a comparison video of it against the scar. Overall, it just seems like the whole package. The only thing that would make it better is if it was side charging like a JP rifle, but you can’t have it all.
View Quote

U no have Dremel?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I know what you are meaning. But I’d rather it be on the left side as opposed to being on the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love everything about the rifle. Compactness, weight, pretty good accuracy, mild recoil impulse, fully ambi controls, adjustable gas block, etc. I have done as much research as possible. And I can’t find many glaring problems with this model or the company. Alabama Arsenal did a great review on it and did a comparison video of it against the scar. Overall, it just seems like the whole package. The only thing that would make it better is if it was side charging like a JP rifle, but you can’t have it all.
View Quote

May check into an LWRC for left side charging. Another top tier large frame.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 3:04:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The only downside is the proprietary parts. I saw Keith Garcia run his 308 in the noveske carbine match in 2018 or 2019 I forget which and he shredded with that thing, he took 2nd overall. It’s a good gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, the proprietary parts is a downside. The whole thing isn’t proprietary though, lots of less important parts can be had else where. Yeah, I saw Garcia with it too, beast.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Good review in the current Firearms News issue.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Bolt head looks minimalist for a defense rifle.  For recreation, I'd really like to have one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, that’s a concern but I’ve not heard that anyone has broken a bolt head. The bolts are made of a super alloy that’s very expensive, that definitely seems to be doing the job.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Love my Rogue - it almost seems impossibly light when I pick it up. It is quite literally an AR15 that shoots .308.

Really, the only proprietary parts you'd need to worry about are the bolt and the firing pin. The receivers should last quite a long time and .308 is pretty gentle on barrels. I'd maybe buy a bolt/firing pin replacement kit and call it a day.

Otherwise, you're really looking at standard AR15 parts... Not AR308, AR15 -- so you have a huge, huge world of accessories and parts you can dip into for replacements.

Here's my Rogue with a CMT 15" AR15 freefloat HG...

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Never held a revolution,  but handled a Rogue at a LGS and posters are correct it is impossible light.   I’d love to see how the thing groups.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I would go with the rogue, but I like all the bells and whistles the Revolution has like full ambi controls and adjustable gas block. For a little extra weight I don’t mind.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  The only downside is the proprietary parts.
View Quote

Unless you go to the DPMS Gen 1 format in a .308 class AR, you're dealing w/ proprietary parts.  The POF is the non-DPMS Gen 1 gun w/ the fewest proprietary parts, particularly since it uses a stock AR-15 bolt carrier.

Take a look at the DPMS Gen 2 parts thread for what happens when your favorite lightweight .308 class platform stops production.

With the new 80% rules and thus new home-milling jigs coming to mill from solid blocks of aluminum, the POF lower should be as easy to mill as any AR-15 lower from scratch, just different dimensions.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Forgive my ignorance, but are you speaking in favor of the Revolution or against it? The only parts on it that are proprietary are the bolt, firing and maybe the extractor. Incredibly important, but that’s about it.
Edit: with further analysis it does seem you are talking favorably about it. But I still would like to hear your response. Proprietary parts is annoying but sometimes with certain things it’s a necessity. The attractiveness of the AR is that non proprietary factor of it. But it does limit in many ways the ability to innovate or do something a little different.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  Forgive my ignorance, but are you speaking in favor of the Revolution or against it? The only parts on it that are proprietary are the bolt, firing and maybe the extractor. Incredibly important, but that’s about it.
Edit: with further analysis it does seem you are talking favorably about it. But I still would like to hear your response. Proprietary parts is annoying but sometimes with certain things it’s a necessity. The attractiveness of the AR is that non proprietary factor of it. But it does limit in many ways the ability to innovate or do something a little different.
View Quote

I had the pleasure of meeting Frank a couple of times before his untimely death, and think he was a genius to recognize the .308 length cartridge fit into a receiver the same length as a stock AR-15.  Like I said, as soon as you step away from the dominant DPMS Gen 1 platform, you have proprietary parts - you did leave out the receivers, both are proprietary to the POF, but as I pointed out, the lower will be able to be made at home soon, and the upper can be cut from a stock AR upper by lengthening the ejection port, if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah, that’s true. Yeah, Frank seemed to be an awesome guy. Definitely a guy who cared about making good products and doing something different. True American treasure.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Ask them about replacement barrels
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#21]
really enjoy my rogue, imagine the revolution is better; their gas bock is beefy/heavy. Just put a SA block on mine since my CGS hyperion finally got approved
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Never held a revolution,  but handled a Rogue at a LGS and posters are correct it is impossible light.   I’d love to see how the thing groups.
View Quote

It groups really nice with 168's
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do they not offer replacement barrels?

What about the bolt, firing pin and extractor - will they sell extras of these for spares?  Having extra would make up for the propriety system.  I don't see these on the website at least from a quick browse.

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What about the bolt, firing pin and extractor - will they sell extras of these for spares?  Having extra would make up for the propriety system.  I don't see these on the website at least from a quick browse.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the one gripe I have with them is they have every spare part except the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's the one gripe I have with them is they have every spare part except the barrel.
View Quote

Honestly, if you put enough ammo through your factory barrel to wear it out, you can afford to have a gunsmith spin up a new barrel and attach it to your old barrel's extension. It's not even that much $$.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I love my POF Rogues.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  That's the one gripe I have with them is they have every spare part except the barrel.
View Quote

If they'll sell you the rear bbl extension, then you can have as many spare bbls in whatever calibers you like.  It cost me $100 shipped a few years back to have a Green Mountain blank turned down & White Oak bbl extension installed to make a 27" pencil.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Honestly, if you put enough ammo through your factory barrel to wear it out, you can afford to have a gunsmith spin up a new barrel and attach it to your old barrel's extension. It's not even that much $$.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot about this option.

Thankyou!

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If they'll sell you the rear bbl extension, then you can have as many spare bbls in whatever calibers you like.  It cost me $100 shipped a few years back to have a Green Mountain blank turned down & White Oak bbl extension installed to make a 27" pencil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  That's the one gripe I have with them is they have every spare part except the barrel.

Yes that's a big huge if though.

I would think if their not selling any spare barrels they sure aren't going to sell me an extension.

I will say that their barrel is top notch as far as I'm concerned.

It's funny because I have tried all kinds of match grade barrels and my two most consistently accurate barrels are both factory.

1-The revolution
2- A BCM KD4 sam-r chambered upper.  

I'm going to shoot them an email today and I'll post their answer here.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Small Frame AR10s are the way of the future, anyone whose actually handled one and being honest will tell you that.  There's nothing a large frame does better except being awkward to handle and acting as a boat anchor.

The big question is where the market is gonna orientate, just like with large frames a few years back.  Large frames settled on DPMS pattern because the cost was low enough to take over the very large budget/entry market.  DPMS could have done it again with small frames, except their bad management and inept marketing killed their company.  Maybe PSA can resurrect them before the market settles, as it's unlikely the current small frame 'big dogs' are gonna take off since they're focused on niche piston markets.

Anyway, part of the problem is marketing an AR, whose fan base has a unique mindset.  Prior to the AR craze, you bought a rifle and that was that, if it wasnt milsurp you knew that support and even ammo could dry up in a few years.  I don't know any non AR owner who even considered what could happen if they shoot out a barrel, at that point they'd say they got their money worth and buy a new rifle or have a gunsmith run off a custom barrel and consider that fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope, POF uses a proprietary extension.  I tried 6 different well know barrel makers and none of them would make me a replacement barrel for my POF.Revolution 308.   And, POF quoted me a minimum of 10 months for the look at it
 The rifle would not shoot better than 2 moa, no matter what ammo I used.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nope, POF uses a proprietary extension.  I tried 6 different well know barrel makers and none of them would make me a replacement barrel for my POF.Revolution 308.   And, POF quoted me a minimum of 10 months for the look at it
View Quote

The extension is proprietary for sure, but the barrel past that should be simple to chamber and thread, no? Plus you can easily measure the gas port on an existing barrel.

So Brux, Craddock, White Oak, Lilja, Rock Creek, etc, won't chamber and thread a .308 barrel then just spin it onto an existing extension at 150 ft/lb? It has to be easier than headspacing a Rem 700...
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

@badguybuster

Was yours the DI or piston?

My DI did the same thing.

The adj gas block was taping inside the top of the rail, and also the barrel extension had a very slight loose fit, so I shimmed it with .001 shim stock, and put a regular pinned GB.

I used standard ar tools. PRI barrel nut wrench to be exact.

After that I was getting groups like the one I posted above.

I know when I was doing my research for these I read about allot of issues with the piston models, so I went with the DI.

Not sure where you are being told the extension is proprietary?

The POF Revolution upper can be re-barreled with a regular AR 556 barrel, and add a ar 556 bolt, and you could then slap it on a standard ar lower.

I checked this myself when I had my revolution barrel off.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@badguybuster

The adj gas block was taping inside the top of the rail, and also the barrel extension had a very slight loose fit, so I shimmed it with .001 shim stock, and put a regular pinned GB.

I know when I was doing my research for these I read about allot of issues with the piston models, so I went with the DI.

The POF Revolution upper can be re-barreled with a regular AR 556 barrel, and add a ar 556 bolt, and you could then slap it on a standard ar lower.

View Quote
You'd need to at least change out the firing pin as well for it to function in that configuration.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You'd need to at least change out the firing pin as well for it to function in that configuration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@badguybuster

I don't think that would be necessary if you are putting a 556 BCG in being you would have to put it on a 556 lower, which I was talking about one could do if desired.

This is why I'm not so sure about the barrel extension being proprietary on the POF as far as having a new barrel turned for the POF Revolution using its OEM extension.

Hopefully I'm making some sense.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't think that would be necessary if you are putting a 556 BCG in being you would have to put it on a 556 lower, which I was talking about one could do if desired.

This is why I'm not so sure about the barrel extension being proprietary on the POF as far as having a new barrel turned for the POF Revolution using its OEM extension.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  @badguybuster

If you're converting your DI POF .308 upper to a very expensive AR-15 upper, you'll absolutely need to replace the firing pin, b/c the striked head of the .308 firing pin hangs out in empty space so the .308 hammer can hit it.  It does that b/c the .308 hammer of the POF is shifted rearward in the receiver relative to an AR-15 lower, b/c the magwell is longer to accomodate the .308 cartridge.

Even if POF doesn't sell bbl extensions, and POF pulls a Remington at some point, when your bbl is shot out, you just pull the locating pin, unscrew the bbl extension, and screw the old bbl extension onto a new bbl.  So while a few POF parts are proprietary, a few spares will keep you going to decades unless you're a Published Maximum is a starting point reloading kind of guy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you're converting your DI POF .308 upper to a very expensive AR-15 upper, you'll absolutely need to replace the firing pin, b/c the striked head of the .308 firing pin hangs out in empty space so the .308 hammer can hit it.  It does that b/c the .308 hammer of the POF is shifted rearward in the receiver relative to an AR-15 lower, b/c the magwell is longer to accomodate the .308 cartridge.

Even if POF doesn't sell bbl extensions, and POF pulls a Remington at some point, when your bbl is shot out, you just pull the locating pin, unscrew the bbl extension, and screw the old bbl extension onto a new bbl.  So while a few POF parts are proprietary, a few spares will keep you going to decades unless you're a Published Maximum is a starting point reloading kind of guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  @badguybuster

What I was saying is you "could" if you wanted to, use the POF upper receiver to build an 556 complete upper.

And yes you would have to replace the firing pin because you would be using a new 556 BCG anyway which would have a correct firing pin

I never said you didn't.

I thought that was obvious?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  You'd need to at least change out the firing pin as well for it to function in that configuration.

You wouldn't need to change to an AR-15 bolt carrier, as the POF already has an AR-15 bolt carrier.  You'd only need to change the bolt and the firing pin.

Daggertt said you'd need to change out the firing pin, to which you responded that you didn't think that would be necessary.

It's pretty academic, few folks are going to want to scrap all their POF .308 bits to use a POF upper & bolt carrier as really expensive AR parts w/ a long ejection port.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You wouldn't need to change to an AR-15 bolt carrier, as the POF already has an AR-15 bolt carrier.  You'd only need to change the bolt and the firing pin.

Daggertt said you'd need to change out the firing pin, to which you responded that you didn't think that would be necessary.

It's pretty academic, few folks are going to want to scrap all their POF .308 bits to use a POF upper & bolt carrier as really expensive AR parts w/ a long ejection port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  You'd need to at least change out the firing pin as well for it to function in that configuration.

I guess I misunderstood you two as I was thinking you would not be using the POF BC anyway if you converted.

I mentioned in my post that you would use a 556 BCG, so I think that is where I was not getting it when he said changing the FP would be necessary being that it would be a 556 complete BCG with a FP anyway.

I have no plans of doing this either and I was just making a point that it could be done.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  I guess I misunderstood you two as I was thinking you would not be using the POF BC anyway if you converted.

I mentioned in my post that you would use a 556 BCG, so I think that is where I was not getting it when he said changing the FP would be necessary being that it would be a 556 complete BCG with a FP anyway.

I have no plans of doing this either and I was just making a point that it could be done.
View Quote

It's a pretty fascinating if useless trick.  Frank showed me at the DSC show one year that the .308 upper would fit on an AR lower.  I was astounded.  Took me a long time to understand how he had shifted the entire FCG & pistol grip to the rear.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I guess I misunderstood you two as I was thinking you would not be using the POF BC anyway if you converted.

View Quote
You didn't mention bcg in your post. You said 556 bolt. Which was why we were pointing out that the firing pin would also need to be changed.

"The POF Revolution upper can be re-barreled with a regular AR 556 barrel, and add a ar 556 bolt, and you could then slap it on a standard ar lower"

Yeah if you swap the whole bcg, then that covers the firing pin. But it's not strictly necessary as the bcg could be used with a 556 bolt and firing pin.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's a pretty fascinating if useless trick.  Frank showed me at the DSC show one year that the .308 upper would fit on an AR lower.  I was astounded.  Took me a long time to understand how he had shifted the entire FCG & pistol grip to the rear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I guess I misunderstood you two as I was thinking you would not be using the POF BC anyway if you converted.

Yes it really is a cool concept.

Small Arms Solutions did a good job of explaining the design in his video. He went into quite a bit of detail.

I can't put mine down since I got it, which is why I'm wondering if there will be spare barrels in the future.

What is 308 life span for barrels.

5-8000 rds depending on use?

I think they supposedly have one there that they put quite a few thousand rds through.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You didn't mention bcg in your post. You said 556 bolt. Which was why we were pointing out that the firing pin would also need to be changed.

"The POF Revolution upper can be re-barreled with a regular AR 556 barrel, and add a ar 556 bolt, and you could then slap it on a standard ar lower"

Yeah if you swap the whole bcg, then that covers the firing pin. But it's not strictly necessary as the bcg could be used with a 556 bolt and firing pin.

View Quote

Yeah I guess I could have been more specific.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#44]
do it

pic just a Rogue..waiting on PSA SLx 3x for total of 6x magnification
https://1drv.ms/u/s
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes that's a big huge if though.

I would think if their not selling any spare barrels they sure aren't going to sell me an extension.

I will say that their barrel is top notch as far as I'm concerned.

It's funny because I have tried all kinds of match grade barrels and my two most consistently accurate barrels are both factory.

1-The revolution
2- A BCM KD4 sam-r chambered upper.  

I'm going to shoot them an email today and I'll post their answer here.
View Quote

Got an answer today.

We don’t currently sell barrels but possibly in the future. We do guarantee our barrels for up to 20k rounds still keeping one MOA. With the proper maintenance that barrel should last you a long time. If you should need a barrel swap, we could do that for you. We recommend sending in your rifle when that time comes so that we can look over the entire gun and make sure all is well before sending it back. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#46]
So have a bbl blank on hand, and then use the old bbl extension when the original bbl dies.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So have a bbl blank on hand, and then use the old bbl extension when the original bbl dies.
View Quote

I'll definitely consider that when the time comes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah, that’s a concern but I’ve not heard that anyone has broken a bolt head. The bolts are made of a super alloy that’s very expensive, that definitely seems to be doing the job.
View Quote

I have.

Pass.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have.

Pass.
View Quote

You broke a POF Revolution 308 bolt head?

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top