BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 912
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:21:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GADeerHunter] [#1]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
If they were that fragile, .mil wouldn't be issuing them to the guys that use their gear the hardest.

Meh, I'll let it get back on the rails. But this statement is a bit off the mark according to most Industry Experts and SME's I've talked too.

ETA: Also, just because SOCOM adopted it and uses it does not necessarily mean it is the best. While the RIS II, KAC sights, ect. are top notch; things like the Eotechs and M3X lights are a different story. The reasons they are selected are not always about durability and quality. I could go into detail with this but I'd rather it we get back on track.

ETA: Thread ownage.

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:23:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11bway2b] [#2]
Would like to disagree with that statement in regards to EoTechs being built like toyota's

Most individuals I've worked with have preferred the Eotech reticle instead of just the red dot for the aimpoint.

As far as battery life is concerned, ok we all understand that an Aimpoint will run until the 2nd coming of christ, but if you ever go overseas than you will see that there is an overabundance of CR123 batteries, enough so you could change out your optic, light, and PEQ15 after every mission if you so desired.

Bottom line, if the aimpoint is so much better than the EoTech 553 / 512 / whatever model you want to compare them too.....then why aren't units like the 75th, sf guys, or Seals using money to buy and equip their rifles with Aimpoints?  Or why are the individual SOF soldiers/sailors/marines not using their own money to equip their rifles with an Aimpoint?  They do have a lot of leeway and could do so if required but I rarely every see pictures of them with CCO's on their weapons (unless it was a Block I MK18).   If its good enough for the 75th, SF, NSW, and MARSOC, than it should be good enough for any civilian.

And after serving on a two way range I have seen several beat up M68's out there too
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11bway2b] [#3]
but if its what you want then be happy with it :)
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 11bway2b:
Would like to disagree with that statement in regards to EoTechs being built like toyota's

Most individuals I've worked with have preferred the Eotech reticle instead of just the red dot for the aimpoint.

As far as battery life is concerned, ok we all understand that an Aimpoint will run until the 2nd coming of christ, but if you ever go overseas than you will see that there is an overabundance of CR123 batteries, enough so you could change out your optic, light, and PEQ15 after every mission if you so desired.

Bottom line, if the aimpoint is so much better than the EoTech 553 / 512 / whatever model you want to compare them too.....then why aren't units like the 75th, sf guys, or Seals using money to buy and equip their rifles with Aimpoints?  Or why are the individual SOF soldiers/sailors/marines not using their own money to equip their rifles with an Aimpoint?  They do have a lot of leeway and could do so if required but I rarely every see pictures of them with CCO's on their weapons (unless it was a Block I MK18).   If its good enough for the 75th, SF, NSW, and MARSOC, than it should be good enough for any civilian.

And after serving on a two way range I have seen several beat up M68's out there too

"Built like a Toyota" is a compliment. Ever see the Tacomas that SF takes to A-Stan?
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By osha:
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Its a well known fact, as proved in other threads, that Stick has my phone tapped, and subscribes to all my posts. If the number 12 is used, he shows up and rubs my nose in one of his pictures.

Serious question.

Is the rail on the 12.5 the same rail that is on the 14.5? Because if it is, you could slap that rail on any 12.5 for clone purposes and be close. You wouldn't need the exact barrel. Or, could you cut down a 14.5 M4 barrel to 12.5 and make that work? Just a thought.

The rail on the 12.5" is the RIS II GL/SSC - Grenade Launcher/Sound Suppressor Compatible. It's in between the M4 and MK18 RIS II. It's the longest the rail can be on a 12.5" barrel that allows an NT4 and an M203. Obviously, the MK18 rail does not have the option of mounting the M203, whereas the M4 rail does.

The GL/SSC appears to be impossible to obtain, unless a substantial order is made (if I remember correctly).

ETA: Pic thread. Note the SCARs have black Elcans.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576966_485459478139951_681062814_n.jpg

How are these guys liking their SCAR 17s thus-far?

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Will816:
Originally Posted By 11bway2b:

"Built like a Toyota" is a compliment. Ever see the Tacomas that SF takes to A-Stan?

Up close and personal, those things are badass.  The ANP role around in some pretty cool 4 door Ford Rangers that can go almost anywhere too!
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 1:26:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#7]

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GADeerHunter:
If they were that fragile, .mil wouldn't be issuing them to the guys that use their gear the hardest.

Meh, I'll let it get back on the rails. But this statement is a bit off the mark according to most Industry Experts and SME's I've talked too.

ETA: Also, just because SOCOM adopted it and uses it does not necessarily mean it is the best. While the RIS II, KAC sights, ect. are top notch; things like the Eotechs and M3X lights are a different story. The reasons they are selected are not always about durability and quality. I could go into detail with this but I'd rather it we get back on track.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/7953183574_3a2f90634c_b.jpg

GAdeerhunter  this thread needs some Block II full auto action!!! what can you do for us?

ETA:Better yet  how about a block II GA shoot?

Pic

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 11:58:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Busteratl] [#9]

SOCOM can use anything they want.  The majority of time they choose to use Eotechs or Elcans or said another way, the vast majority of time they choose NOT to use Aimpoint T-1 Micros.

1. http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/01/return-of-eotech.html

2. http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/04/weaponoptic-updates.html

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Busteratl:

SOCOM can use anything they want.  They choose to use Eotechs and most of the time, they choose NOT to use Aimpoint T-1s.

I understand what GADeerHunter is saying - the military doesn't always use the best of the best, BUT...

I have to believe that if special operations troops (SEALs, Green Berets, Rangers, Delta) are still using Eotechs, they can't be THAT awful.

The SEALs that raided UBL's compound were all using EOtechs with magnifiers on their HK416s - they obviously work well enough to get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

SOCOM can use anything they want.  They choose to use Eotechs and most of the time, they choose NOT to use Aimpoint T-1s.

I understand what GADeerHunter is saying - the military doesn't always use the best of the best, BUT...  

I have to believe that if special operations troops (SEALs, Green Berets, Rangers, Delta) are still using Eotechs, they can't be THAT awful.

The SEALs that raided UBL's compound were all using EOtechs with magnifiers on their HK416s - they obviously work well enough to get the job done.

Well I'm sure that you, nor anyone else, really know what they used, and who cares.

Lowest bidder on a government contract, and or, who get a product through an approval process. In use by the SEALS and or the FBI means very little.

Beside the point.  SOCOM have access to Eotech, Elcan, and Aimpoint.  They choose Eotech and Elcans way more often than Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't we just agree that the Elcan beats out both the T-1 AND SU231?

I mean... you know, I can compare then very well since....

I was planning a big light comparison between the M3x, M6x LED, M900a, and M600C, but when the "m600c" arrived last night, it turned out to be the m600a.... so now I've gotta deal with the seller to try and get my money back.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Well I'm sure that you, nor anyone else, really know what they used, and who cares.

Lowest bidder on a government contract, and or, who get a product through an approval process. In use by the SEALS and or the FBI means very little.

No Easy Day contains pics of their issue weapons - 416s sporting Eotech/magnifier combos.  My point is, they're good enough to do the job.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 2:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GADeerHunter] [#15]
IIRC, Aimpoint T1's weren't selected for the SOPMOD BLOCK II program because of not meeting certain parameters. I believe battery it uses was one of those.

Also, keep in mind an important thing. Just because guys are SEALs, Rangers, MARSOC, ect., doesn't necessarily mean they know what the best is. They might be higher up than your standard Army grunt (that often also knows little about his weapon), but they usually just put on what they are issued and go with that. Since they are issued Eotechs, Elcans, and Acogs; they go with them.

ETA: I guess the conversation is permitted since its more of a SOMPOD Block II discussion rather than simply a Eotech vs. All discussion?

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
IIRC, Aimpoint T1's weren't selected for the SOPMOD BLOCK II program because of not meeting certain parameters. I believe battery it uses was one of those.

Also, keep in mind an important thing. Just because guys are SEALs, Rangers, MARSOC, ect., doesn't necessarily mean they know what the best is. They might be higher up than your standard Army grunt (that often also knows little about his weapon), but they usually just put on what they are issued and go with that. Since they are issued Eotechs, Elcans, and Acogs; they go with them.

ETA: I guess the conversation is permitted since its more of a SOMPOD Block II discussion rather than simply a Eotech vs. All discussion?

Again, irrelevant and ridiculous.  If the SOCOM guys had as much trouble with Eotechs as you seem to think, believe me, when their life depended on it, they would do whatever it took to find and buy a reliable sight, even if that meant buying with personal funds.  If Eotechs were that unreliable, they would do the research to find what did work.  They are not stupid.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:40:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Texan_Ninja] [#17]

ETA: I guess the conversation is permitted since its more of a SOMPOD Block II discussion rather than simply a Eotech vs. All discussion? [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_tongue.gif[/

Again, irrelevant and ridiculous.  If the SOCOM guys had as much trouble with Eotechs as you seem to think, believe me, when their life depended on it, they would do whatever it took to find and buy a reliable sight, even if that meant buying with personal funds.  If Eotechs were that unreliable, they would do the research to find what did work.  They are not stupid.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By hatexoc:
In mid daylight I can bearly see the reticle on its brightest setting is the main thing. Next it seems that the circle gets more in the way than anything, like I said I have not shot with it yet but those are a few points I've noticed so far/

I'm currently traveling and I was looking for a wifi signal to view this thread.

Your nitrogen may have leaked out on your sight giving it that dim reticle. I dropped a 553, made a nasty gash at the base and had the nitrogen purge escape. Went through the same thing you did and sent it to eotech and they fixed it.

Also did DEVGRU have Eotech 551's on their HK416's? I like how everyone b****** about the 551 being crap yet we see them still used by our most elite warfighters.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Busteratl] [#19]
I just read in "No Easy Day" where the author writes that he attended the SHOT Show.  They obviously keep up with what is new and available.  SOCOM is not going to use something for very long if it breaks down and endangers their life and mission.  Eotechs have been used years now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#20]

You don't get it.

First of all, it is not like Eotech's go down all the time. They aren't shitty sites. But it is naive to believe they are up at the same quality and have the same reliability track record as a ACOG, Elcan, or Aimpoint.

Eotechs have been plagued with problems since their inception, battery compartment issues being the most common. (Of course, XPS line corrected this problem) They have more complicated electronics more prone to failure than the non-electronic Acog or the more simple Aimpoint. You RARELY, if ever hear of a actual failure of a Aimpoint. Eotechs? Another story.

Unless a Operator has personally experienced a problem with their optic, they are unlikely going to want to change. They get used to the Eotech reticle so they stick with it. They may never have an optic go down in their entire career. Lucky for them.

Don't look at it at an individual level and look at it at a more group level. SOCOM/Crane selected and has selected items for the SOPMOD kit that simply aren't the best choices.

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

In mid daylight I can bearly see the reticle on its brightest setting is the main thing. Next it seems that the circle gets more in the way than anything, like I said I have not shot with it yet but those are a few points I've noticed so far/

I'm currently traveling and I was looking for a wifi signal to view this thread.

Your nitrogen may have leaked out on your sight giving it that dim reticle. I dropped a 553, made a nasty gash at the base and had the nitrogen purge escape. Went through the same thing you did and sent it to eotech and they fixed it.

Also did DEVGRU have Eotech 551's on their HK416's? I like how everyone b****** about the 551 being crap yet we see them still used by our most elite warfighters.

This sounds very plausible, because it is so dim during the day I cannot see how anyone in the desert would use it.
Of course I bought it 2nd hand and do not have the box, will EoTech still stand behind it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]

You don't get it.

First of all, it is not like Eotech's go down all the time. They aren't shitty sites. But it is naive to believe they are up at the same quality and have the same reliability track record as a ACOG, Elcan, or Aimpoint.

Eotechs have been plagued with problems since their inception, battery compartment issues being the most common. (Of course, XPS line corrected this problem) They have more complicated electronics more prone to failure than the non-electronic Acog or the more simple Aimpoint. You RARELY, if ever hear of a actual failure of a Aimpoint. Eotechs? Another story.

Unless a Operator has personally experienced a problem with their optic, they are unlikely going to want to change. They get used to the Eotech reticle so they stick with it. They may never have an optic go down in their entire career. Lucky for them.

Don't look at it at an individual level and look at it at a more group level. SOCOM/Crane selected and has selected items for the SOPMOD kit that simply aren't the best choices.

Whats often missed is that the best choice for the elite warfighter isn't always the best choice for the civilian.

If you're using a RDS for home defense, an aimpoint is simply the best choice. It allows the user to leave it unattended in a safe or closet until it's needed at a moments notice. No switching to "on", no auto shutoff. Battery life measured in years, not hundreds of hours.

However, for the elite warfighter who takes a helicopter to the objective, is on mission for 45 minutes and gets back on a helo, all well within the 8 hour auto-shutoff built into the Eotech. Turning on and off isn't a huge deal at that point. Turn it on when you approach the target, turn is off when you get on the board. If the Eotech reticule is faster to shoot with, then that's it's major advantage to a warfighter in that type of scenario.

I have a buddy that was a Batt boy. They'd have to change batteries on their Eotechs mid mission constantly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:15:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Busteratl] [#23]

You don't get it.

You are the one that does not get it.  They don't have to use the "best."  SOCOM can use anything they want.  If they like it, they will continue to use it.  If it does not work, they will not use it.  Got it?  Eotech has had a fix for the battery problem for years.  It's a simple thing to change out the battery box.  Did you bother to read the Kyle Defoor articles?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#24]
[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

You are the one that does not get it.  They don't have to use the "best."  SOCOM can use anything they want.  If they like it, they will continue to use it.  If it does not work, they will not use it.  Got it?  Eotech has had a fix for the battery problem for years.  It's a simple thing to change out the battery box.  Did you bother to read the Kyle Defoor articles?  

This one?
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/01/return-of-eotech.html
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

This one?
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/01/return-of-eotech.html

Yeah, that's one of them.  Did you read the first comment below the article?  Here's an excerpt..."I know a guy who's a far more accomplished shooter that I could ever be that ran down the things that can be done with an Eotech that can't be done with an Aimpoint. For shots on a target running away at angles, there's just no comparison. It's simply a far more versatile sight."
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#26]
JESUS, you guys are still at it? Come on! This is a block II pic thread.

The only thing IMO Aimpoint does better than Eotech is make a FAR superior 3X magnifier.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 11:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GADeerHunter] [#27]

I don't even understand your argument. I don't see the point you are trying to prove.

1. Kyle Defoor is talking about the XPS sights; both articles/excepts are about what he is experiencing with them. To a lesser extent he shows how he
2. No, they don't have to use the "best", I guess? I mean, theres no reason to equip our most elite war fighters with the "best", right?

Its actually pretty simple why Eotechs are used by SOPMOD Block II users:

a) Many users prefer the 65 MOA and 1 MOA holographic recticle
b) It is issued
c) They prefer it over the other two issued sights, the Elcan and ACOG TA01NSN

Honestly I don't even know why we are having this conversation/debate. Lets just get back to pics.. good Lord.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
My pics are there on page ownage.

Need to get outside with some pics.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Going to try go get some new pics and video tomorrow at the range.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Good stuff ragin and ga.
I'm going to steal your paint job ragin when my 1.5 is done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/punkrockpoet/3E92C959-5BA3-4105-B977-4386FD9D5A99-461-00000103B66D74B3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/punkrockpoet/D82FD0D5-1145-4CE2-BA11-241B8E26D6CD-461-00000103F305E3D2.jpg

The only thing IMO Aimpoint does better than Eotech is make a FAR superior 3X magnifier.

Is that a HK mag in your Fsp?
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/punkrockpoet/3E92C959-5BA3-4105-B977-4386FD9D5A99-461-00000103B66D74B3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/punkrockpoet/D82FD0D5-1145-4CE2-BA11-241B8E26D6CD-461-00000103F305E3D2.jpg

Is that a HK mag in your Fsp?

C-Products 5.45 mag
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Ah that's right I forgot yours it 5.45
I have some HK mags and for whatever reson I think they look silly in my block 2
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

This sounds very plausible, because it is so dim during the day I cannot see how anyone in the desert would use it.
Of course I bought it 2nd hand and do not have the box, will EoTech still stand behind it?

I'm not sure if they'll fix it free of charge then but they will fix it. Call or email eotech customer service, they'll take care of you.  Also GA I'm digging the KAC foregrip.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 8:32:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#36]
I sent my 511 in for repair. Out of warranty they charge $80 but that was for the battery problem.  New electronics and battery cover... Idk about a purge though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 8:53:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Busteratl] [#37]
OK, no more argument from me about optics.  

All I have now is a Block 1.5 and a MK12.  Still trying to decide the best way to do a Block II and/or a MK 18.  I like the idea of buying a 6921 and building it into a Block II.  The 6921 would already be a factory SBR, so then I could buy or build a MK18 upper to use with it.  But, that is a lot of money.  Maybe I should build only a MK18 rifle or only a Block II upper?  Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#38]
OK, no more argument from me about optics.  

All I have now is a Block 1.5 and a MK12.  Still trying to decide the best way to do a Block II and/or a MK 18.  I like the idea of buying a 6921 and building it into a Block II.  The 6921 would already be a factory SBR, so then I could buy or build a MK18 upper to use with it.  But, that is a lot of money.  Maybe I should build only a MK18 rifle or only a Block II upper?  Decisions, decisions.

Buy a factory Mk18 1st, then build/buy a Block II upper for it.  I think you'll have more fun with the Mk 18.  They are just so much fun to shoot!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Just a quick pic

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Those are sweet.  I'm moving back home to Idaho next year when I graduate and a SBR stamp and Mk 18 upper for my Block II will be the first thing I'll get.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
I sent my 511 in for repair. Out of warranty they charge $80 but that was for the battery problem.  New electronics and battery cover... Idk about a purge though.

Sent my SU-231 not long ago with a similiar problem, fixed it free of charge!! They have great CS, And yes I believed eotechs are more versatile than aimpoints, from my personal experience with both. i believe SOCOM has chose a great SOPMOD II kit. My only complaint would be with the SU-233, it isn't the greatest flashlight.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GAshooter11:

Sent my SU-231 not long ago with a similiar problem, fixed it free of charge!! They have great CS, And yes I believed eotechs are more versatile than aimpoints, from my personal experience with both. i believe SOCOM has chose a great SOPMOD II kit. My only complaint would be with the SU-233, it isn't the greatest flashlight.

That light is on the way out, isn't it?  I'm trying to get into a 952V for mine, and eventually a 720V.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#43]
The 952v is an awesome light. Its damn heavy though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
The 952v is an awesome light. Its damn heavy though.

I like the look of it, but I wish it had the 240mW head like the 720V.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#45]

That light is on the way out, isn't it?  I'm trying to get into a 952V for mine, and eventually a 720V.

Isn't the new an Insight WMX200? I'd still like to see more of these used in fhe field.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

Isn't the new an Insight WMX200? I'd still like to see more of these used in fhe field.

No, actually I believe the M720V and M620V are the VBL III lights.  See link from Soldier Systems

Linky
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#50]

The SU-233 isn't so bad with the LED head, especially as a CQB, room-clearing light: nice wide flood without too much of a hot spot. The incan head is laughable at best. Last I read, the WMX, M620V, and M720V all won VBLIII contracts. I would love a M720V and hope to get one at some point.
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top