Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 912
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread has been very expensive for me.  I've been collecting parts for the past two weeks.

Brand new Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel $300 (GunBroker)
Brand new Daniel Defense RIS II FSP $379 (eBay)
Brand new Daniel Defense ConVert Vertical Grip $36 (eBay)
Brand new LMT SOPMOD FDE Stock Kit $170 (eBay)
Brand new Knights QD Flash Hider $98 (eBay)
Brand new MaTech USGI Rear Sight $50 (GunBroker)

All going on a Colt LE6920 I already have in the safe. Last is the EOTech 533 FDE, then it's time to start building!
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AnthonyL:
This thread has been very expensive for me.  I've been collecting parts for the past two weeks.

All going on a Colt LE6920 I already have in the safe. Last is the EOTech 533 FDE, then it's time to start building!

Just wait until you decide to get the Elcan... And then after that you'll decide that you need another one (I have a PR and a Block II).
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]

You need a light!
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:21:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AnthonyL] [#4]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:

You need a light!

Yup, haven't forgot!  I'm just trying to decide if I go full retard and get the Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5 and MX3 light combo with switch.  Or do I just go the cheap route and get a Surefire Scout light and call it a day...

This is what I own so far and will be for sure doing.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:

You need a light!

Yup, haven't forgot!  I'm just trying to decide if I go full retard and get the Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5 and MX3 light combo with switch.  Or do I just go the cheap route and get a Surefire Scout light and call it a day...

This is what I own so far and will be for sure doing.

http://i.imgur.com/xkR7WfM.png

If you find a real LA-5 then you've gone full retard
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILO1-1] [#6]
The day has come...I have to sell my BCM Block II upper on the EE to pay for a KAC suppressor.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1181840_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KILO1-1:
The day has come...I have to sell my BCM Block II upper on the EE to pay for a KAC suppressor.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j337/ert185/426b026f.jpg

Das OK, You have six months to build it back up...
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Shit, sell both those taupe KAC flips and that'll almost cover the NT4.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Shit, sell both those taupe KAC flips and that'll almost cover the NT4.

Lol. You ain't lying! I have to keep one for my CQBR that the KAC can is going on. The other I already sold to Augee.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I got another question for y'all:

Since I don't have an Sbr'd lower, do I have to have ADCO assemble my upper when they pin the flash hider? Or am I missing something and can legally assemble the upper/rail and then send it in for pinning?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GreenSwamperin:

Since I don't have an Sbr'd lower, do I have to have ADCO assemble my upper when they pin the flash hider? Or am I missing something and can legally assemble the upper/rail and then send it in for pinning?

Well yes, you can assemble it yourself but absolutely, under no circumstances, can you stick it on your non-SBR lower until it has been pinned and brought to 16"

Some people have claimed that there is a "constructive intent" thing that you can get hit with simply for owning a short barreled upper, but after many hours of research I have found that no one has ever been accused of that in regards to items such as these.  Also, we have the US vs Thompson Center ruling on our side.  That case is worth looking into.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Will816:

Well yes, you can assemble it yourself but absolutely, under no circumstances, can you stick it on your non-SBR lower until it has been pinned and brought to 16"

Some people have claimed that there is a "constructive intent" thing that you can get hit with simply for owning a short barreled upper, but after many hours of research I have found that no one has ever been accused of that in regards to items such as these.  Also, we have the US vs Thompson Center ruling on our side.  That case is worth looking into.

Huh. Thanks for the info. It'd sure be nice to save the cash since I already have the reciever clamp and everything.

I damn sure don't want to get hit with a federal charge for something so stupid. Knowing my luck I'd be the first one with a constructive intent charge and the prosecutor would be out to make an example of me. Gotta think about that one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Huh. Thanks for the info. It'd sure be nice to save the cash since I already have the reciever clamp and everything.
I damn sure don't want to get hit with a federal charge for something so stupid. Knowing my luck I'd be the first one with a constructive intent charge and the prosecutor would be out to make an example of me. Gotta think about that one.

Trust me, read up on US vs Thompson Center.  It went all the way to the SCOTUS.  Thompson Center made a rifle/pistol kit that included, for the single receiver, a long barrel and a stock, and a short barrel and pistol grip.  So basically, the parts were there, and easily swappable, to put the short barrel and stock on the gun, thereby making a short barreled rifle.

Just build your receiver, don't put it on the lower, and send it off to ADCO for pinning

I had mine pinned by Rainier Arms, they did a beautiful job.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Trust me, read up on US vs Thompson Center.  It went all the way to the SCOTUS.  Thompson Center made a rifle/pistol kit that included, for the single receiver, a long barrel and a stock, and a short barrel and pistol grip.  So basically, the parts were there, and easily swappable, to put the short barrel and stock on the gun, thereby making a short barreled rifle.

Just build your receiver, don't put it on the lower, and send it off to ADCO for pinning

As long as you don't throw the upper on the lower, you're fine. Nothing to worry about.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Thanks again Will

I do believe I will take your word on that one. Sounds pretty solid to me.

Reciever inbound Monday, assemble, then off to Adco. Gettin close

Starting to get antsy. Sooo ready for this thing to be done.

I promise the day it gets back ill take it up and get a pick with the SF Mini suppressor
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#17]
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:19:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#19]
Current state, waiting on my Legit Tan M3X to come next week. The kryloned M3X will have to do for now. Also debating on going 553 or FDE Elcan instead of the Black...
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#20]
If you get an FDE Elcan, you won't regret it (other than the cost).
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 9:25:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#21]

Originally Posted By Tmender03:

+1

Nobody else will have one at the range either - it's a great conversation piece.

And of course, it's obviously amazing in its capabilities.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I often lurk in this thread and it's going to cost me money....
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I love this thread. It's definitely my "home" on arfcom.

Went to the range this morning, block II goodness.

Only did close in stuff, 50Yards and under.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys what would be the correct mount to attach my sling to the QD hole on a sopmod stock?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
Hey guys what would be the correct mount to attach my sling to the QD hole on a sopmod stock?

Any QD mount, I suppose...  Are any of them that different form one another?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#26]

I dunno I've never attached a sling using one
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By derekv814:

You and I both.  I just found this thread 2 weeks ago doing some Google searches.  It's been a curse ever since.

Received more parts on Friday.  Today I pulled the FSB off the Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel.  Removing those factory tapered pins was fun!

Next to get the KAC QD pinned and then assemble the upper.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By derekv814:

You and I both.  I just found this thread 2 weeks ago doing some Google searches.  It's been a curse ever since.

Received more parts on Friday.  Today I pulled the FSB off the Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel.  Removing those factory tapered pins was fun!

http://i.imgur.com/V66c2u0.jpg

Next to get the KAC QD pinned and then assemble the upper.

Looking good!
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Actually guys, just thought of something: There is no correct QD mount because the correct stock does not have the QD hole
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Actually guys, just thought of something: There is no correct QD mount because the correct stock does not have the QD hole

That's correct. the Dieter CQD rear plate is the correct rear sling mount.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 11:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#31]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:

Various other rear plates have been spotted as well, right?  I will put a noveske qd plate on mine.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Tried to start assembling my upper and hit a wall immediately. The damn YHM gas block I bought to save $15 is way out of spec.
Normally I'd just ream it out but I've decided not to compromise on this build since I've already spent so much. Just ordered a BCM. YMMV but for those who are currently building their upper I'd say go ahead and fork out a little more for a BCM/DD/etc.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#33]

HAHA you got me I wasnt thinking.  My Block II has the Gen 1 B5 Sopmod with no attachment, it just fits horrible on the buffer tube, so on my CQBR I'm just going to go with the Gen 2 so it fits better.  I'm also using the CQD rear sling mount on the block II, but I wanted to try a stock sling attachment on the CQBR.

And I know this is for the CQBR, and I know there's a thread for these clones, but I like this thread better, and its very similar
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 11:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmcflex] [#34]

You don't need QD. Depending on your sling, you can loop it through one of the two sling slots on the stock. For example:

Or:

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

You don't need QD. Depending on your sling, you can loop it through one of the two sling slots on the stock. For example:

http://www.americanspecialops.com/images/photos/marsoc/marsoc-marine-hires.jpg

Or:

http://images.sofrep.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ranger11-660x437.jpg

I see several that do have QD sockets on their stock, but still choose to loop their sling thru the sling slots.

I prefer to go QD whenever I can. The ability to be able to quickly remove a sling, optic, VFG, etc on the fly if needed is a big plus in my book.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a RIS ll coming,this way ill have a FSP and non FSP version, I think I'm going to go with the good ol comp m2, I loved it on my FSP before I replaced it with a t-1, I know I've seen pics with a block ll with one on it, can anyone find those pics?

My old set up

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Drying fitting the upper parts today.  Am I correct the only way to install the DD RIS II FSP is with the FSP pins out, slide the FSP forward until the barrel is in place and then pin the FSP?  The instructions that came with the rail are kind of light when it comes to the FSP model.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:29:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnthonyL] [#38]

The Dieter CQD rear plate is the correct rear sling mount.

Ok, found it.  Now what is the correct USGI issue sling with HK hook for this time of mount?  Also is the CQD front sling mount also USGI issue?

Thanks, the first page parts list is lacking on sling and sling mounts options and I'm trying to catch up on a 574 page thread.

http://closequartersdefense.net/close-quarters-defense-products/cqdr-rear-sling-mount

http://closequartersdefense.net/close-quarters-defense-products/cqd-forward-sling-mount
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Drying fitting the upper parts today.  Am I correct the only way to install the DD RIS II FSP is with the FSP pins out, slide the FSP forward until the barrel is in place and then pin the FSP?  The instructions that came with the rail are kind of light when it comes to the FSP model.

My first Block II was an FSP model. It's been a while but here is what I remember.

1) Slide the FSB + Gas tube off the barrel
2) Install the DD nut and bolt up stuff
3) Take off bottom rail on RIS II FSP
3) Start to slide the RIS II onto the barrel with the FSB & gas tube inside the RIS II
4) Once everything is in final position I screwed the rail onto the bolt up system
5) Finally I tapped in the pins for the FSB (once again the bottom rail is off)
6) Install bottom rail back on
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#40]
There are several used, CQD, VTAC Mk1 and Mk2 both in Tan and Black. Magpul MS2 is used, both Tan and Black.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

My first Block II was an FSP model. It's been a while but here is what I remember.

1) Slide the FSB + Gas tube off the barrel
2) Install the DD nut and bolt up stuff
3) Take off bottom rail on RIS II FSP
3) Start to slide the RIS II onto the barrel with the FSB & gas tube inside the RIS II
4) Once everything is in final position I screwed the rail onto the bolt up system
5) Finally I tapped in the pins for the FSB (once again the bottom rail is off)
6) Install bottom rail back on

Perfect, and thank you!  That is exactly what I envisioned after dry fitting the parts.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:27:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#42]

Perfect, and thank you!  That is exactly what I envisioned after dry fitting the parts.

No problem and good luck on your build, can't wait to see it together.

Ok, found it.  Now what is the correct USGI issue sling with HK hook for this time of mount?  Also is the CQD front sling mount also USGI issue?

Thanks, the first page parts list is lacking on sling and sling mounts options and I'm trying to catch up on a 574 page thread.

http://closequartersdefense.net/close-quarters-defense-products/cqdr-rear-sling-mount

http://closequartersdefense.net/close-quarters-defense-products/cqd-forward-sling-mount

Yes the front CQD mount is used. In addition to the Dieter CQD, the KAC rail mounted QD adapter is another option. However the lack of rotation limited movement on the KAC sling swivel mount bugged me enough to get the Daniel Defense one.

I don't think there is a "correct sling" per say but I would pick from the Blue Force Gear VCAS line, VTAC slings, or LBT 2 point lightweight padded slings as these seem to be the most common out there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the help, this is what I'm leaning towards.

Blue Force Gear Padded Vickers Combat Applications Sling

http://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-padded-sling/

Pair of HK style hooks

http://www.blueforcegear.com/hk-style-hook/

CQD Front and Rear Sling HK Style Mounts

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

http://www.americanspecialops.com/images/photos/marsoc/marsoc-marine-hires.jpg

Or:

http://images.sofrep.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ranger11-660x437.jpg

Or

Or

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the help, this is what I'm leaning towards.

Blue Force Gear Padded Vickers Combat Applications Sling

http://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-padded-sling/

Pair of HK style hooks

http://www.blueforcegear.com/hk-style-hook/

CQD Front and Rear Sling HK Style Mounts

The BFG padded VCAS sling is by far my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

+1

Nobody else will have one at the range either - it's a great conversation piece.

I wish that was the case with the guys I shoot with ..Doesn't help that Neil (new-arguy) is our LGS enabler and always has cool clone stuff available..Some of the guys that own the ELCAN's are not the types to post in forums but, we definitely have our fair share on ELCANs show up at the range and matches we have..
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By jBoy723:

+1

I wish that was the case with the guys I shoot with ..Doesn't help that Neil (new-arguy) is our LGS enabler and always has cool clone stuff available..Some of the guys that own the ELCAN's are not the types to post in forums but, we definitely have our fair share on ELCANs show up at the range and matches we have..

Lucky. I've never even so much as seen an Eotech at my range, much less an elcan (that wasn't mine)

I shoot at a coonass range. They shoot their 45/70s and 30-06s without ear pro...
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By hatexoc:
I have a RIS ll coming,this way ill have a FSP and non FSP version, I think I'm going to go with the good ol comp m2, I loved it on my FSP before I replaced it with a t-1, I know I've seen pics with a block ll with one on it, can anyone find those pics?

<a href="http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/hatexoc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1398.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii640/hatexoc/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1398.jpg</a>
My old set up

I think this is what you're looking for ..

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#49]
Originally Posted By jBoy723:

+1

Yea, my range is private and you sign into your own private range after that, so I rarely shoot with people I don't know. A few weeks ago a fella asked to shoot with me since I had the longest range all to myself. He had a sweet 300 Blackout done up right, all noveske with a comp m4s in a larue mount. I was just shooting my .22 bolt gun and when I pulled out the block 2 to zero, his eyes lit up and said "holy shit is that an elcan?". I replied with a very modest yes and let him shoot it as much as he wanted. He was so pumped! Very fortunate to be able to have built such a fine rifle.

Another funny story is I was shooting with two of my buddies who are contractors now, both prior USMC SS, and once they shot with my elcan they were stoked on it. Said they had seen em on other people's rifles but never got behind one so I unloaded my rifle tossed it about 5 feet in the grass, took elcan off tossed it to the side and played horse with them with iron sights (highly reccomend doing this, it was my first time and it was really fun and challenging), once done went back to 100 yards and shot a 5 round group at about an MOA with no shift in POI. They both said they want one on their rifles after that haha!

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Question to those who may know, might be a little outside of the purpose of this thread (though I think I've seen a few mounted on guns posted here);

But, does anyone know if they make an IR filter that fits the SureFire Mini Scout?
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top