Page / 912
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:
Originally Posted By RePp:
Originally Posted By new_ak_fan:
Originally Posted By thebomber:
Originally Posted By osha:
I guess I'll wait to see how the optic/suppressor market is when I get the funds together. Still, less loud, better muzzle compensation... that's more convenient and valuable for me, as I don't shoot places that really require 4x.

Get a T1. It's now on the WAP designated SU-230A1.

Does anyone have any pics of the Micro in the wild?  What type of mount are they using?

whos they? Use whatever mount you want.

Wrong answer for a clone thread.

your trying to "clone" guns that people are slapping there privately bought shit on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:

the coating doesnt melt, go look at the box o' truth

Well, the case got stuck in there and the extractor ripped off a chunk of the casing. Took a rod and a rubber mallet to get it out. The coating certainly looks melted.

thats fouling, the issue with steel ammo is that it doesnt expand like brass, this allows much more fouling than normal to get into the chamber and once enough does the steel will expand and then be stuck.

i generally clean my chamber every 300-500 rounds of Wolf ammo, if its brass i never clean it till i clean the gun
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:02:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#3]
I guess I'll wait to see how the optic/suppressor market is when I get the funds together. Still, less loud, better muzzle compensation... that's more convenient and valuable for me, as I don't shoot places that really require 4x.

Does anyone have any pics of the Micro in the wild?  What type of mount are they using?

your trying to "clone" guns that people are slapping there privately bought shit on.

We've gone over this before. The purpose of building a clone is to create the AS ISSUED setup the operator receives, not whatever stupid shit he slaps on it after he gets it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

We've gone over this before. The purpose of building a clone is to create the AS ISSUED setup the operator receives, not whatever stupid shit he slaps on it after he gets it.

That's the fun of being "Special" You get to trick out your shit! Clone, Stock, Issued,.....Boring!!! We want what the "Special" guys are using, and there using some not so issued stuff! I don't see the problem. This thread is full of some very nice weapons, some Issued, some not! I have seen so many varaints of "Issued weapons" that were never issued it isn't funny. I under stand the "Clone" thing but you guys are A Little Anal about some dumb shit! I look at it as how would this opperator trick his gat! Why would I build a gun that dosn't fit me. I built a MK18 Mod 0 and then I made it mine, The same way I did when I was in the military. Is it a Mk18 YEP! I just made it mine, Mabye we should start a "opperator gat thread".............Sully
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sully3acr:

That's the fun of being "Special" You get to trick out your shit! Clone, Stock, Issued,.....Boring!!! We want what the "Special" guys are using, and there using some not so issued stuff! I don't see the problem. This thread is full of some very nice weapons, some Issued, some not! I have seen so many varaints of "Issued weapons" that were never issued it isn't funny. I under stand the "Clone" thing but you guys are A Little Anal about some dumb shit! I look at it as how would this opperator trick his gat! Why would I build a gun that dosn't fit me. I built a MK18 Mod 0 and then I made it mine, The same way I did when I was in the military. Is it a Mk18 YEP! I just made it mine, Mabye we should start a "opperator gat thread".............Sully

I concur.  As USED.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:11:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#6]
Clone VS. Otherwise

I see both sides of this fence.  On one hand the title and subject of this thread SPECIFICALLY says M4A1 SOPMOD Block II Clone and Picture thread.  That means this thread is designated as a spot-on clone build and photo thread, which means the carbines that are posted in this thread need to have all of the major components of a M4A1 SOPMOD Block II carbine AS ISSUED to qualify for posting within these pages.  Same goes for the Mk12 Mod0 and Mod1 Photo and Discussion thread I started months ago.

The Mk18 thread has the word VARIANT within the title which means VARIATIONS of the issued Mk18s are accepted.  That means all the major parts are not necessarily required to qualify for posting within that thread.

Basically, if people aren't adamant about "clones" being near-perfect clones within a clone thread, then that thread will simply morph into a catchall for M4-ish carbines and God knows we've got PLENTY of those threads floating around on this forum.

I'm not as anal about it being a perfect clone as others but I still say that for a carbine to qualify for a clone thread, it MUST have most of the issued components.  When it comes to optics, sights and stocks, I feel a little leeway can be granted because not all of us can afford a SOPMOD or an Elcan or a fucking $1500 Night Force.

That's my $0.03 for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Filled out my paper for DROS on my 6920CA and was very happy to see the Surefire 215A in the box as well. Picking it up on the 11th and taking it to my local gunsmith to get the barrel changed and 215A pinned and welded on as well as have the RIS II installed.

As for the "rules" for the clone thread I was going by the criteria of having at least a

• Flat Dark Earth RIS II

• A collapsible stock that uses the original buffer tube (aka no UBR, Ergo F93, etc)

• a 14.5" barrel or 16"

Basically anything that is not a big change to the weapon's original issued form of those above mentioned items in my opinion counts as a clone .

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:20:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#8]
So I was thinking of posting my version in this thread but now I'm not so sure it's proper. The issue I see is, very few folks have an actual clone (eg the correct lower). So where do we make exceptions and who gets to decide what exceptions are "ok".

As an example, I was planning to post a pic of mine but it varies from the real deal as follows:

1. LMT factory lower, not a select fire Colt
2. MIAD pistol grip with large backstrap sinceI have large hands and the A2 is not optimum for me.
3. DD 16" gov't profile barrel not a 14.5" Colt. IOW I used what I have.
4. TA 31F ACOG which is GTG but it has an LT QD Mount
5. Magpul Winter trigger guard because the gap makes my middle finget middle knuckle raw from doing so many failure drills/mag changes
6. Geiselle Trigger

What I will have that is consistent is:

1. SOPMOD stock
2. ACOG
3. Knights/LMT BUIS
4. FDE M4 RIS II
5. SF FH/CAN
6. Scout light or M3X, haven't decide which I'm gonna mount yet.

So am I in or out? I only use my set up as a general discussion point for what is or what isn't allowed. Frankly speaking, there are aspects of the issued rifle that work for me and others that don't and I'm not going to change them just to have a perfect (not really) "clone".
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:39:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DocBach] [#9]
Most of the Block II's seen in the wild are used by Rangers and MARSOC. Those guys don't have the freedom to pimp their guns out like SF and SEALS, they got SOPs for EVERYTHING. If you look at the pictures of Rangers using their guns there is very little differentiation between their rifles.

I think the main characteristics that qualified a gun as a clone was that it had a FDE RIS II. That was about it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#10]
So I was thinking of posting my version in this thread but now I'm not so sure it's proper. The issue I see is, very few folks have an actual clone (eg the correct lower). So where do we make exceptions and who gets to decide what exceptions are "ok".

As an example, I was planning to post a pic of mine but it varies from the real deal as follows:

1. LMT factory lower, not a select fire Colt
2. MIAD pistol grip with large backstrap sinceI have large hands and the A2 is not optimum for me.
3. DD 16" gov't profile barrel not a 14.5" Colt. IOW I used what I have.
4. TA 31F ACOG which is GTG but it has an LT QD Mount
5. Magpul Winter trigger guard because the gap makes my middle finget middle knuckle raw from doing so many failure drills/mag changes
6. Geiselle Trigger

What I will have that is consistent is:

1. SOPMOD stock
2. ACOG
3. Knights/LMT BUIS
4. FDE M4 RIS II
5. SF FH/CAN
6. Scout light or M3X, haven't decide which I'm gonna mount yet.

So am I in or out? I only use my set up as a general discussion point for what is or what isn't allowed. Frankly speaking, there are aspects of the issued rifle that work for me and others that don't and I'm not going to change them just to have a perfect (not really) "clone".

I would post it; it sounds like my rifle is very similar to yours. Mine has a 16" barrel, US Palm BG17 (not sold on it yet... need to try a large MIAD, as my hands still aren't 'filled' by the grip), and a Magpul trigger guard (for the same reason).
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:45:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osha] [#11]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
Most of the Block II's seen in the wild are used by Rangers and MARSOC. Those guys don't have the freedom to pimp their guns out like SF and SEALS, they got SOPs for EVERYTHING. If you look at the pictures of Rangers using their guns there is very little differentiation between their rifles.

I think the main characteristics that qualified a gun as a clone was that it had a FDE RIS II. That was about it.

Most Block II's you see in the wild don't even have the RIS II. Our clones are more accurate than theirs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]
For what it's worth, I don't think even the purest of clone purest care if you have the actual lower or not because that would extinguish almost every single one in this thread except the issue ones.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DocBach:

Most Block II's you see in the wild don't even have the RIS II. Our clones are more accurate than theirs.

Those are Block 1.5s and I think they got their own thread
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I noticed that the RIS II got really hot (as you can see in my pictures) during long firing strings. The ladder panels didn't really help, and I had to throw on my nomex gloves at one point.

Would I make my clone unsuitable if I slapped some TD SCAR panels, a TD stubby grip, and a Gear Sector scout mount (as the SF mount failed on me) on there, all in FDE?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Having a registered/select fire lower is NOT part of building a clone. If you have one, great, but 95% of civilians do not have access to them. Building a clone on a regular lower is fine, and if you want to be 'super civilian cloney' you can get a nodak lower and send it to ident to have a .mil rollmark put on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:14:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Postal0311] [#16]
So if we are making a proper clone, do we have to put the VFG on in the exact same place a SEAL/Ranger/MARSOC did, or are we allowed some discretion there?

Has anyone put together a list of acceptable VFG locations on the bottom rail?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Postal0311:
So if we are making a proper clone, do we have to put the VFG on in the exact same place a SEAL/Ranger/MARSOC did, or are we allowed some discretion there?

Has anyone put together a list of acceptable VFG locations on the bottom rail?

T28-32...lol

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#18]

T28-32...lol

Pics!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By samuse:

T28-32...lol

Pics!!

In the wild, of course.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like I'll be waiting a few months to get an SU 230 :( I want to be able to get a certain type of discount I should qualify for in a few months
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I cleaned my perfect to the last detail of a used and abused M4A1

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Right on but damn, I just could not bring myself to paint my purdy RIS II.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

do it

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#24]

do it

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8388/dsc00248n.jpg

I like it.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#25]

do it

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8388/dsc00248n.jpg

I like it.

Thank you. It has a socom barrel not sure how that works for a "clone"
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#26]

The gun and sleeve look awesome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#27]
the SOCOM barrel is appropriate. nice looking rifle there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#28]
16" SOCOM barrel?

I would argue that a 14.5" M4 barrel is more appropriate, with the BCM 14.5" SOCOM being a second-best solution, and the Colt SOCOM being the first best. The hardest part to source is a virgin Colt SOCOM barrel where a Mk12 gas block could be pinned.

Nice rifle nonetheless; the paint job looks great.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Form 4 for mt knights nt4 should go out mid January

I got the FDE one...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I wish I had built one of these to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#31]

I got the FDE one...

Glad to hear you found one!  Did you end up calling mike at SO?  I am still waiting on the form 3s for my NT4 and Colt 6921 from back in early November...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1qsb28:

I got the FDE one...

Glad to hear you found one!  Did you end up calling mike at SO?  I am still waiting on the form 3s for my NT4 and Colt 6921 from back in early November...

I did, got his last one. Is your form 3 from mike still pending? He was quoting me 4 weeks max
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:08:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#34]

I got the FDE one...

Approvals are taking 5 months for F4s and it's a crap shoot on F3s but should be in the 4 week range. Keep in mind though with the holidays nothing happened.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Got in to work today to find a nice package from Neil waiting for me!  (I was out of town for the holidays and didn't want to risk having the package spend all week on my doorstep )

In preparation, I'd already removed the FSP RIS II - and also did a round of painting this weekend, so went ahead and sprayed an M4A1 upper while I was at it, sans barrel so when I re-install the barrel with the RIS II, it'll look like an older M4A1 that was rebarreled and had the RIS II installed!  

Still trying to decide which optic it'll wear, though.  Probably a SU-230, but I've been known to indulge in some whimsy.  

Also got a Geissele SSA installed in one of my lowers, and I have to say, it's something else!  I've used "match" triggers before, but the rhythm I got into with the SSA was something else!  I might have to start upgrading some more lowers!  I've already got a second SSA awaiting a MK 12 MOD 0 project!  

Once I get the RIS II installed I might finally have some more photos of my Phased Replacement M4A1 and CQBR, as well as my Block 2 M4A1 and CQBR!  

Still on the lookout for a front sight, but definitely not being considered "necessary" at the moment.  I also opted for the Troy lo-pro gas block because it was affordable and available, but I think I'd like to evenutally "upgrade" to a DD MK 12 gas block.  A little anal-retentive... yeah, but hey.  

Barrel will, of course still be a Colt RO921HB barrel in 14.5".  

In conjunction with the SSA - it'd probably be a pretty serviceable "recce" type for those who subscribe to that kind of thing, too!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Augee:
Got in to work today to find a nice package from Neil waiting for me!  (I was out of town for the holidays and didn't want to risk having the package spend all week on my doorstep )

In preparation, I'd already removed the FSP RIS II - and also did a round of painting this weekend, so went ahead and sprayed an M4A1 upper while I was at it, sans barrel so when I re-install the barrel with the RIS II, it'll look like an older M4A1 that was rebarreled and had the RIS II installed!  

Still trying to decide which optic it'll wear, though.  Probably a SU-230, but I've been known to indulge in some whimsy.  

Also got a Geissele SSA installed in one of my lowers, and I have to say, it's something else!  I've used "match" triggers before, but the rhythm I got into with the SSA was something else!  I might have to start upgrading some more lowers!  I've already got a second SSA awaiting a MK 12 MOD 0 project!  

Once I get the RIS II installed I might finally have some more photos of my Phased Replacement M4A1 and CQBR, as well as my Block 2 M4A1 and CQBR!  

Still on the lookout for a front sight, but definitely not being considered "necessary" at the moment.  I also opted for the Troy lo-pro gas block because it was affordable and available, but I think I'd like to evenutally "upgrade" to a DD MK 12 gas block.  A little anal-retentive... yeah, but hey.  

Barrel will, of course still be a Colt RO921HB barrel in 14.5".  

In conjunction with the SSA - it'd probably be a pretty serviceable "recce" type for those who subscribe to that kind of thing, too!  

~Augee

That's what I turned mine into. SOCOM profile "RECCE" with an ACOG. Once my can gets here next year it'll be a nice bipod shooter

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:29:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1qsb28] [#37]

I got the FDE one...

I did, got his last one. Is your form 3 from mike still pending? He was quoting me 4 weeks max

Glad to hear you got to him, hope I was of some help in your search.  Yeah, Still waiting on the form 3 from Mike as well as one out of AZ.  As the person above suggested, I'm thinking its the holidays slowing it down...hoping that's all it is anyway.

*EDIT*–– About ten minutes after I posted this Mike called to tell me the form 3 came in today and my NT4 is shipping out this afternoon.  I was about 2 weeks ahead of you with my purchase to give you a reference.  ...Now the real wait begins.  Maybe Ill see it by mid June?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't think I could ever paint my Block II. Everything else I can but just not my block II. It's probably because of the flat dark earth RIS II.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I learned my lesson with painting rifles early on...it never looks as good as my brain thinks it will and I hate it immediately after. I enjoy the look of the parts I buy, or else I wouldn't buy them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
I don't think I could ever paint my Block II. Everything else I can but just not my block II. It's probably because of the flat dark earth RIS II.

I paint all of my guns that are black...shit sticks out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By patriot_man:

I paint all of my guns that are black...shit sticks out.

Yep.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#42]
Well here she is. I'm not definite on the configuration as I need some trigger time with it.

As a kit:

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I hate, nay, LOATHE the use of a fixed front sight on free float rails which were made to get rid of them. It just irks me

Besides that it's very nice.

Almost twins

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I hate, nay, LOATHE the use of a fixed front sight on free float rails which were made to get rid of them. It just irks me

Almost twins

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/dillsmod/IMG_0187.jpg

Although I won't go as far as you, I'm not sold on them yet. In addition, I need to break down and get another KAC FR. BUIS.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I actually took OFF my lt100 ACOG mount because it wasn't to spec
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Almost twins

Although I won't go as far as you, I'm not sold on them yet. In addition, I need to break down and get another KAC FR. BUIS.

BUIS are for suckas
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I actually took OFF my lt100 ACOG mount because it wasn't to spec

Im not that much of a zealot. I did however refraim from putting on my 600c Scout with KM2 head and LT mount because I didnt want anyones head to pop off
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Almost twins

BUIS are for suckas

But some of them are sexy

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Almost twins

FF rails werent made to get rid of fixed front sights
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:04:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coup_de_Foudre] [#50]
edit
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top