Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 912
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#1]

nf - are you using a non-FSP top rail with an FSP bottom rail?

I considered doing the same thing with my FSP rail, but DD wanted $250 for a non-FSP replacement top rail - I figured it would be easier just to sell and swap.  

It would be a good solution to those wanting to use shaved FSBs on their builds, though, as it looks like you are.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Its all non-fsp as far as I know, thats how it came from Rainier back when these rails first hit the market 4 or 5 years ago.  I ran it with a 13.7" mid length WOA barrel and KX3 a while back, sold that barrel and installed the Colt SOCOM barrel after I moved to TX and got my lower form 1'ed through the ringer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:50:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#3]
Originally Posted By nf9648:
Its all non-fsp as far as I know, thats how it came from Rainier back when these rails first hit the market 4 or 5 years ago.  I ran it with a 13.7" mid length WOA barrel and KX3 a while back, sold that barrel and installed the Colt SOCOM barrel after I moved to TX and got my lower form 1'ed through the ringer.

Interesting.

Maybe that's how the early ones came?  Not too sure - but that's definitely an FSP lower:

Non-FSP lower rail:

FSP lower rail:

The different lower rails was one of the reasons I decided to go with a complete rail, since it wasn't just an interchangeable top rail.  Not a huge deal, but the bayonet lug recess on the FSP lower rail does compicate some accessory mounting and I like to have as many options as possible.  It takes up about three rail slots.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Augee:

Interesting.

Maybe that's how the early ones came?  Not too sure - but that's definitely an FSP lower:

Non-FSP lower rail:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/RISIINONFSPLOWER.jpg

FSP lower rail:

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/RISIIFSPLOWER.jpg

The different lower rails was one of the reasons I decided to go with a complete rail, since it wasn't just an interchangeable top rail.  Not a huge deal, but the bayonet lug recess on the FSP lower rail does compicate some accessory mounting and I like to have as many options as possible.  It takes up about three rail slots.  

~Augee

As long as funding allows I wil have a 9" LMT M203 attached by Christmas and a box of chalk...
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Interesting.

Non-FSP lower rail:

FSP lower rail:

~Augee

As long as funding allows I wil have a 9" LMT M203 attached by Christmas and a box of chalk...

Right behind you.  

Probably at least 2013 before I get mine, though - but I already have the KAC QD '203 mount.  

Really now - would a SOPMOD kit be complete without a 9" M203?  I think not.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Interesting.

Non-FSP lower rail:

FSP lower rail:

~Augee

Right behind you.  

Probably at least 2013 before I get mine, though - but I already have the KAC QD '203 mount.  

Really now - would a SOPMOD kit be complete without a 9" M203?  I think not.  

~Augee

SU230 first for me, then M203. Then M4 CQBR.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Interesting.

Non-FSP lower rail:

FSP lower rail:

~Augee

This conversation caught my interest, I bought my non-FSP M4A1 RIS II in May and the top main section has a manufacture date of I believe Jan '11, while the bottom rail, which is clearly also of the non-FSP variety, has a manufacture date of Oct '08...  It would seem the lower rail is definitely one of the earlier ones but it is a non-FSP match for the main section.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Will816:

Interesting.

Non-FSP lower rail:

FSP lower rail:

~Augee

This conversation caught my interest, I bought my non-FSP M4A1 RIS II in May and the top main section has a manufacture date of I believe Jan '11, while the bottom rail, which is clearly also of the non-FSP variety, has a manufacture date of Oct '08...  It would seem the lower rail is definitely one of the earlier ones but it is a non-FSP match for the main section.

Interesting - will have to check mine now.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thumper themed M4A1 pics - USAF STS M4A1s:

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Hmmm

Elcan
surefire mount and suppresor
kac rail
b5 stock
m203

all together equal = hot damn me want!
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Y'all are a bad influence.  I just bought a Surefire FA556 in DE and a Knights NT4 in DE.

Damn thread!
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By new_ak_fan:
Y'all are a bad influence.  I just bought a Surefire FA556 in DE and a Knights NT4 in DE.

Damn thread!

Your welcome  

That just mean's weve done our part to help the economy!

Wait a second you bought 2 suppressor's!

So much hate right now
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]

I dunno but I think the last thing I'd want hanging off my carbine is that bulky 203, although I have no doubt how effective it can be when assholes are trying to kill you.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

I dunno but I think the last thing I'd want hanging off my carbine is that bulky 203, although I have no doubt how effective it can be when assholes are trying to kill you.

I'm with you on that. I sold a friend of mine a 9" LMT 203 and after spending a couple thousand on chalk rounds, he's trying to sell it. I do however have an order for 2 stand alone 203's and if you guys want to check the price quotes you're getting lmk via PM. (Not a sales pitch since we live in different states just a semi psa.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By thebomber:
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

I'm with you on that. I sold a friend of mine a 9" LMT 203 and after spending a couple thousand on chalk rounds, he's trying to sell it. I do however have an order for 2 stand alone 203's and if you guys want to check the price quotes you're getting lmk via PM. (Not a sales pitch since we live in different states just a semi psa.

A '203 wouldn't be my primary setup by choice, either here, or over the water.  If anything, a standalone M79 or M320 would be what I was looking for.  

Nevertheless - however you do it - you want 40 mike mike.  Someone's gonna carry it - whether rifle mounted or standalone.  

It's heavy, bulky, and uncomfortable - and it doesn't get used very often.  So you draw short straws for who carries it (not exactly, but you get the point).  

Personally - in civilian life, I can think of no real reason for me to have an M203.  However, for several years now, every couple of months I've contemplated getting one, just because I think it'd be fun to have.  Some chalk rounds that I could fire a couple times a year?  Maybe some smoke once in a while - it will spend very little time getting used.  

Nevertheless, those couple times a year - it would be damn fun to have - and it would help round out my SOPMOD kit.  

I guess since my not-so-secret M4A1 obsession is out of the bag - for me, the '203 could live happily on one of the "non-primary" uppers - once in a while, pop two pins, and drop in the '203 upper, have some fun, and never have to deal with it otherwise.  It can sit in the safe happily collecting dust until the next time I feel like blowing $25 in one "thump."  

Will I ever get one?  Probably one day.  Will it be any time soon?  Doubtful - there's a bunch of other things I want more that would be more useful.  

Late-Block 1 / Block 1 Phased Replacement M4A1 with "thumper" from 2008:

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]
IWhen I bought the DD RIS II rail I did so with the intention of mounting a M203 to it, after watching the competition between DD and KAC for the SOPMOD Block II contract.  Not sure if Ill get a 203 for the regular M4 upper, but if the money is right I may do the KAC masterkey shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I would love to get an m203 but unfortunately DD's are the only thing my state doesn't allow
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
he rocks a visible laser instead of a front sight.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:05:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#19]
Masterkeys and M203's and suppressors?! You guys are making me wish I could possibly get stuff like that.

That's a great picture Doc... When I get a Class I laser I may just place it there instead of getting a flip up front sight.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:08:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MP0117] [#20]
nm.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
Masterkeys and M203's and suppressors?! You guys are making me wish I could possibly get stuff like that.

That's a great picture Doc... When I get a Class I laser I may just place it there instead of getting a flip up front sight.

I moved all the way from Hawaii to play this game, luckily for you Arizona and Nevada are right next door..
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Guys with the PEQ/ Class 1 lasers, can they be switched from rifle to rifle with ease or are they pretty much setup for one rifle at a time?
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:
Guys with the PEQ/ Class 1 lasers, can they be switched from rifle to rifle with ease or are they pretty much setup for one rifle at a time?

Moving them is easy.

But they need to be zeroed for each weapon.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Just another "thumper" pic:

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#25]
All these Elcan pics are driving me crazy
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#26]

I know man, but more than that, I want my camo paint job to get more beat up.  Guess that means I gotta shoot more; it's too purdy!

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Yes yes they are

(cough) augee (cough)
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#28]

+1

I'd love to get a FDE one but the only way to get a decent price is if you are .mil.  Where can the military guys get one from?  Maybe I can get my brother in law to get me one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By kbi:

Yes yes they are

(cough) augee (cough)

Eh.  You guys clearly just don't like ramen as much as me.  

DocBach probably has the latest on the SU-230s, he's bought more than I have - but my go to would be Kerif.  Don't be fooled by the 1998 vintage looking Anglefire-esque website, Ken's a great guy to deal with.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Yes yes they are

(cough) augee (cough)

DocBach probably has the latest on the SU-230s, he's bought more than I have - but my go to would be Kerif.  Don't be fooled by the 1998 vintage looking Anglefire-esque website, Ken's a great guy to deal with.    

~Augee

Thats a good idea augee, ramen and vitamins.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:

Yes yes they are

(cough) augee (cough)

~Augee

...and Metamucil
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:

Yes yes they are

(cough) augee (cough)

~Augee

I wont touch my ramen stash so easily ( put a can of raviloi in front of me ) anymore.

There is a nicely priced elcan(black) for $1400.00 in the EE though I've been staring at for a few day's now. But going to this site http://www.nitevis.com/ELCAN_SU-230.htm make's me sad when I see the no commercial sale's highlighted

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#33]
sucker selling a specterDR for $3300 at egay

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By amuroray:

I wonder if he is open to reasonable offers
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#35]

The sucker would be the buyer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#36]

yeah. ask him for $9.99 with free shipping

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#37]

It would appear to me that he doesn't really want to sell.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#38]
So how are you guys attaching 2 point slings?
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#39]

DD QD socket and the socket in my SOPMOD.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 3:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#40]

DD QD in front, HK hook snapped on a receiver end mount (CQD).  

IWC 1-2PT triglide on the receiver end.

Prefer receiver end sling mounts - no matter the configuration, I found stock sling mounts to be inferior unless you couldn't remove the stock to install and endplate.

I have mixed feelings about retrofit mounts - other than to say I haven't used one enough to make it shift or fail, but I can only imagine that it's a likely possibility after extended use.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 3:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmcflex] [#41]

KAC QD mount on the handguard, Noveske QD end plate in the receiver.

ETA: A couple of pretty bad pics.

I really like this setup because it makes weak-side transitions easy compared to the stock. The location of the QD socket on the rail also helps to keep the sling out of the way.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#42]
magpul asap in back, magpul rsa up front.

i use the magpul ms2, but i may try something else along the lines of BFG soon, just to see other offerings.

I will never ever use another sling that has the HK style hook on it ever again, whether im doing a clone rifle or not.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#43]
The reason I asked about the sling mount is I prefer a two point sling and frankly speaking I'm pretty confortable with my Vtac sling. On my CQBR, I'm using the Sopmod QD mount and a QD Gear Sector mount on the rail.

I wanted to see if there where any other options I might try with my Blk II. I may just go with the DD in the front and the Sopmod in the rear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#44]
i also have the DD QD mount that ive used. its a great mount, but using it with the MS2 wasnt very good since i like transitioning to 1 point carry
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Using the B5 stock QD point right now, as soon as I can get another HK hook Ill be using the CQD plate at the receiver like I do with the LMT 10.5" upper.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Picked up my Colt 6920CA today.

First thing I did was change the charging handle to a BCM gunfighter and change the grip to a Magpul MIAD. Now all that's left is to get the SOCOM barrel and RIS II on and sell this damn Rogers super stock and get a SOPMOD... or an STR.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I use the dieter CQD sling plate on mine with a one point
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's my "mock" FSP...lol

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:45:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mb121] [#49]
Crap can't decide what I want to do now, have the M4 barrel, upper, and charging handle.  BCG is in route.  But now I can't decide whether I want the RIS II or the FSP model with a SF FH556-212A or AAC 51T FH to perm. attach. All ready have one upper with a RIS II with 16" mid-length, but want another as a primary with the older one being back up.  Too many choices and I can't decide.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I would get the Surefire muzzle device... because I'm bias towards Surefire.

As for the RIS II I would look at your hand placement and see if it would interfere with where the FSB sticks out as well as placements of lasers and light switches and whether you don't mind having the front sight in front of optics.
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top