Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 912
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Pic dump cont'd for Page 100 - sorry if it rolls into 101, I figured I'd split up the posts as to not clog up everyone's internet.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 3:42:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#3]

Obviously, a lot of repeats - but I figured I'd try to consolidate some pics.  

Hmmm... it looks like I mixed a couple up here and there - I guess that's what happens when you organize photos by thumbnail.  

I won't tell if you won't!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 4:19:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#4]
I got a call from Daniel Defense... they said the bottom rail was... $200...

I'm kidding but that's what the guy helping me out said at first. I was shocked. until he said just kidding. Well it's getting shipped to the gunsmith on Monday free of charge covered under warranty!! +1 FOR DD!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Operation parts just got 4 taupe front sights in stock as of 20 minutes ago. I just ordered one, so now there's only 3
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I almost posted Heavy 6 with his face/patches blacked out, but this isn't GD.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet !
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Got a picture from SOCOM's facebook. Pretty sure this doesn't reveal anything about the folks in the picture.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I absolutely LOVE the Block II configuration.  Also, I'm seeing more and more photos of rifles without any forward control accessories.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:07:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ragincajun1919] [#13]
I can already feel more money leaving my wallet. Need a RAS and a 553
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
I absolutely LOVE the Block II configuration.  Also, I'm seeing more and more photos of rifles without any forward control accessories.

Last time I used a vfg and had to go prone and use a body as a bench rest....it took me precious seconds to properly seat my fucking rail on the body that was lying in front of me to get a stable shot. Never again will I shoot with a long vfg. All I was using it for was a hand stop and all it did was hinder me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#15]

One thing I've noticed is that the rifles that do have VFGs tend to have KAC VFGs rather than the "newer" Phased Replacement TD VFG.  I've seen very few TD VFGs installed on any M4A1 SOPMOD configuration using the Block 2 RIS.  

On the other hand, the TD VFG was extremely popular with the KAC RAS.  

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the KAC VFG can slide on to an already installed DD RIS II, while to install the TD VFG, one would have to remove the bottom rail, install the grip, and then re-install the bottom rail to clear the front "ring" of the RIS II.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Augee:

One thing I've noticed is that the rifles that do have VFGs tend to have KAC VFGs rather than the "newer" Phased Replacement TD VFG.  I've seen very few TD VFGs installed on any M4A1 SOPMOD configuration using the Block 2 RIS.  

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the KAC VFG can slide on to an already installed DD RIS II, while to install the TD VFG, one would have to remove the bottom rail, install the grip, and then re-install the bottom rail to clear the front "ring" of the RIS II.  

~Augee

Instead of removing the bottom rail, you can also push down with all your weight as the plastic shavings come out and the grip goes on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I see a black Elcan AND a black m3x in there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By osha:

~Augee

Instead of removing the bottom rail, you can also push down with all your weight as the plastic shavings come out and the grip goes on.

That was my method!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#19]

~Augee

The QD version installs easily.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By thebomber:

~Augee

The QD version installs easily.

Yeah, but they'd have *buy* the QD version.  The non-QD and the KAC have probably already been given to them.  

I'm still experimenting and re-experimenting with my forward controls - honestly, I don't really use them much, except for as a handstop - but they're great for vehicle ops... it's just that I'm not doing much of those at the moment.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I've noticed most of the Block IIs we've seen in the field haven't had ANY VFG, but it the KAC or the Block II TD - my guess is because to actuate the Insight dual pressure switch its easier to just hold the rail, at least it is for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
I've noticed most of the Block IIs we've seen in the field haven't had ANY VFG, but it the KAC or the Block II TD - my guess is because to actuate the Insight dual pressure switch its easier to just hold the rail, at least it is for me.

I had all but eliminated my use of a VFG, but with the grippod, it became useful again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#23]
All of my rifles (including my block II clone) have VFGs. The only practical reason is for when the rail gets too hot to handle in a COF. And, yes, it has happened before.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Gloves?
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Augee, I noticed a lot of Block 1 "Phased Replacement" photos. It appears these are still popular?
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By osha:

~Augee

Hahaha, that is certainly true.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:
Augee, I noticed a lot of Block 1 "Phased Replacement" photos. It appears these are still popular?

I know I sure like them!
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I was using a KAC hand-stop but it was simply awkward as hell getting my grip situated when raising my carbine in a tactical target acquisition scenario.  So I cut down my KAC vertical grip and slid it on but honestly, I'm probably just gonna take it off and roll without any forward control accessory.  Looks clean too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:

I know I sure like them!

me too!  i just ordered a M4A1 upper.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GAshooter11:

I know I sure like them!

me too!  i just ordered a M4A1 upper.

I think I may reverse my FSP RIS upper and buy a RAS after all. I really liked my upper in its previous configuration.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#31]
if your going to get rid of your DD RIS II, get an Omega 7.0 and do an AFSOC build

I only have an M4 RAS on a rifle system for nostalgia because it was on my weapon in Iraq. All of my other builds (and all future ones) will have free floating rails.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I have 2 RIS II setup rifles. I REALLY like the MARSOC carbines I've been seeing old pics of.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I have 2 RIS II setup rifles. I REALLY like the MARSOC carbines I've been seeing old pics of.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/punkrockpoet/msob-photo.jpg

I had one for two weeks...it somehow morphed into an MK18 Block II...
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Those Grip Pods must be cumbersome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#35]
drool
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Those Grip Pods must be cumbersome.

theyre not bad at all i use one
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Gloves?

Not always enough. If it's already 100* outside, and you're doing a five minute course of fire, I sometimes go to the VFG. Better to have and not need than the opposite. I have yet to encounter a situation where a VFG created a problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#38]
My upper is being put together tomorrow. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 1:32:27 AM EDT
[#39]
For those that have a Surefire flash hider...

I was watching the Youtube video on how to install a surefire flash hider and when he starts off he said that there is a beveled orange spacer. Is this still included? I don't have a orange beveled spacer in my shim pack. I have a surefire 215A
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

I was watching the Youtube video on how to install a surefire flash hider and when he starts off he said that there is a beveled orange spacer. Is this still included? I don't have a orange beveled spacer in my shim pack. I have a surefire 215A

Do you have a red one? I think the manual says red but no mention of orange (I will doublecheck this). Could just be a color perception issue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

Do you have a red one? I think the manual says red but no mention of orange (I will doublecheck this). Could just be a color perception issue.

Ive installed at least 100 of those and sometimes there is no color on them. It will be much thicker than any of the shims. The chamfer goes towards the shoulder on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#42]

As far as them being popular in the service, from photographs, it looks like the RIS II is still relatively limited in service.  Not everyone across the board in SOCOM is getting them.

Considering that it's a pretty extensive modification - plus it's more likely to be done to existing weapons, than just ordering a new upper like a CQBR.  Insofar as the RIS II adds some "rail estate" and free-floats the barrel, it's a great upgrade, but otherwise, it's pretty much the same M4A1.  

I still love my RAS equipped Phased Replacement type carbines, they're cheaper and readily available, without major overhauls.  While I'm sure more and more will continue to be upgraded to Block 2 standards, I think the KAC RAS equipped M4A1s will continue to be used for a long time yet.  

Plus, I think the RAS equipped M4A1 is the same thing for SOF carbines that the M16A1 and A2 is for military rifles - it doesn't matter how many changes happen - there's just something "right" about them - they've been the standard for so long, they're just associated with it.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone have a spare RAS?
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I think I'm going to scrap my m16a4 clone build tobuild my 14.5 to a blockII clone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#45]
The decision has been made! A RAS for me it is, removing the FSP RIS and going back to what I had a year ago

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#46]
The decision has been made! A RAS for me it is, removing the FSP RIS and going back to what I had a year ago

How much for the FSP RIS?

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I will buy any non-fsp DD M4A1 ris ii rail anyone has. I have the money burning a hole in my pocket, but want to keep cash and products within the sopmod block ii thread brothers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#48]

no no no! Don't go from free floating to non-free floating!
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 2:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#49]
Taking on and off the RIS is a pain in the ass with all those Allen screws.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#50]

no no no! Don't go from free floating to non-free floating!

But I'll still have my non-FSP block II. Is it really that bad?
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top