User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 912
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bduff:
I’ve been stalking these threads for awhile finally thought I’d share some of mine. Not 100% yet but it’s a work in progress of cloning the level zero hero.

http://i67.tinypic.com/flbm9v.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2irwo8.jpg
View Quote
That's a wonderful clone/build in that video clip that you're speaking of.  I'm taking my 14.5'' and building a very similar setup.  Should be a very nice mid-long range shooter, with an option to do cqb via the red dot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Glitch
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
bump
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gatordev] [#4]
Originally Posted By Spooled:

I want to toss a riser under the elcan, I think that would help some with the sopmod.
View Quote
I ran that setup for a while using a 1/2" riser, albeit on my CQBR.

It worked well at 1x (I'm a long-necker, as well).  FWIW, for the moment I'm using that same riser under a LT-104 for my ATACR 1-8 until I can order a 1.93 mount.  Again, because of how the SOPMOD stock (which I love) pushes you left a bit, the riser works really well with that scope.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gatordev:

I ran that setup for a while using a 1/2" riser, albeit on my CQBR.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1656/25995507383_3f9d2d5195_b.jpg

It worked well at 1x (I'm a long-necker, as well).  FWIW, for the moment I'm using that same riser under a LT-104 for my ATACR 1-8 until I can order a 1.93 mount.  Again, because of how the SOPMOD stock (which I love) pushes you left a bit, the riser works really well with that scope.
View Quote
Awesome man, glad to see I am not the only one that  has thought the same. Thanks for the helpful info
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#6]
Originally Posted By cmb5286:
Got this one on the way. Just when I thought I was out of the clone game, you all pull me back in....

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/910/41408284874_d2888dbda1_b.jpg

Now time to lock down an SU-231a and WMX200 that isn't $1k.
View Quote
Nice upper. Is that a 4P? Looks like it, but I can't quite tell for sure.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

View Quote
Wow that looks like my 2 FSP upper had a fraternal twin between them and there it is  
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
Wow that looks like my 2 FSP upper had a fraternal twin between them and there it is  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't see the resemblance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
After all these years, Crane has finally been putting some CHF mid length uppers to work. And, I’m absolutely shocked to find out that the CHF and mid combo yields a more accurate and functional rifle for much longer...

Click
View Quote
Wow.  Scientific, well documented evidence that the midlength gas system has benefits.  Super news!

Now the question is whether there will be a “Block 3.5” (or maybe “Block 4”) 14.5 SOPMOD version, or will there instea be some other formalized variant.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/eDD4lef.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M7zmotl.jpg
Yeah, they kind of look similar. Like, just a little...

BTW, you should've bought my SR07/Scout tailcap instead of the other dude's. I would've hooked a brotha up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
Yessir. Though I can’t get a can for it since I live in Illinois.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
After all these years, Crane has finally been putting some CHF mid length uppers to work. And, I’m absolutely shocked to find out that the CHF and mid combo yields a more accurate and functional rifle for much longer...

Click
View Quote
For some reason it's funny reading the title of that article. We could've told them that 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#14]
View All Quotes

Damn. Is Illinois really that bad? I knew Chicago was, but didn't realize the whole state sucked.

At least you can enjoy having the 4P. I just got one recently, myself.

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Damn. Is Illinois really that bad? I knew Chicago was, but didn't realize the whole state sucked.

At least you can enjoy having the 4P. I just got one recently, myself.

https://s9.postimg.cc/xyypoxnjz/20180502_130201.jpg

https://s9.postimg.cc/w75qu39cv/20180502_125447.jpg
View Quote
Yup wife and I don’t live anywhere near Chicago. But unfortunately the city dictates anything gun related for the entire state. We southerners would love to have suppressors and SBRs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Yeah, they kind of look similar. Like, just a little...

BTW, you should've bought my SR07/Scout tailcap instead of the other dude's. I would've hooked a brotha up.
View Quote
Email sent?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#17]

Yup wife and I don’t live anywhere near Chicago. But unfortunately the city dictates anything gun related for the entire state. We southerners would love to have suppressors and SBRs.
View Quote
I feel for you, man.

Email sent?
View Quote
Received and replied to. It's yours.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
My fiance is from southern IL, it sucks that I cant bring the good stuff with me, considering the vast places to shoot at
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#19]
Anyone looking to get rid of a front and/or rear CQD mount? Wanted to ask the guys that have these before I go purchase a new set.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone looking to get rid of a front and/or rear CQD mount? Wanted to ask the guys that have these before I go purchase a new set.
View Quote
If you buy new I reccomend thoroughbred armament

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#21]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/297824/ED8EC53C-1893-4C8C-A285-37B603A97DC8-545143.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/297824/ED8EC53C-1893-4C8C-A285-37B603A97DC8-545143.JPG
@Spooled

I'm gonna post a WTB ad in the EE just to see if I can score a used set first. If not, then I'll grab a new set.

As far as Thoroughbred Armament, I was just checking them out yesterday after you mentioned getting your teardrop forward assist from them. Cool ass site. They have all the good shit that I like and they've got a great deal on new tan Surefire's and free shipping on all orders. Thanks for bringing them into the mix. Any vendor that specializes in Colt/KAC gear is tops in my book!
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#22]

@Spooled

I'm gonna post a WTB ad in the EE just to see if I can score a used set first. If not, then I'll grab a new set.

As far as Thoroughbred Armament, I was just checking them out yesterday after you mentioned getting your teardrop forward assist from them. Cool ass site. They have all the good shit that I like and they've got a great deal on new tan Surefire's. Thanks for bringing them into the mix. Any vendor that specializes in Colt/KAC gear is tops in my book!
View Quote
Bro they ship fast also, I ordered my b5 from them on a Saturday around noon, the post office had it by 3 that day and it was delivered on Monday. Same experience with the forward assist.

and free shipping on all orders.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:34:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#23]
For some reason it's funny reading the title of that article. We could've told them that 7 years ago.
View All Quotes

Click
Hah. No kidding.

Though, as someone has already illustrated, reality is not all that obvious to everyone, and there’s surely still plenty of butthurt.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Bro they ship fast also, I ordered my b5 from them on a Saturday around noon, the post office had it by 3 that day and it was delivered on Monday. Same experience with the forward assist.

and free shipping on all orders.
View Quote
I'll definitely order the CQD's from them if I don't get lucky in the EE, which I already know I won't.

Hah. No kidding.

Though, as someone has already illustrated, reality is not all that obvious to everyone, and there’s surely still plenty of butthurt.
View Quote
Tell me about it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey there y'all. I'm putting out a feeler for a buddy of mine. What "clone correct" parts for the M4A1 are the hardest for you to find? I know for me it has been the Surefire 556 RC 4 Prong.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:35:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#26]
Originally Posted By CPDowning:
Hey there y'all. I'm putting out a feeler for a buddy of mine. What "clone correct" parts for the M4A1 are the hardest for you to find? I know for me it has been the Surefire 556 RC 4 Prong.
https://i.imgur.com/mV6tZxv.jpg
View Quote
The 4P is the only part that I think is actually tough to find. They're really not that difficult to find, they're just pricey, so you need to be prepared to pony up when you get the chance. They pop up in the EE once and a while, but I happened to get lucky and a member contacted me offering a trade deal.

Some might say the Colt M4A1/SOCOM lower, but again, they're not really that difficult to locate, just expensive. I went a different route and had an 80% lower custom engraved with the correct markings by a well respected member known for this type of work, and then milled and refinished it myself.

These are the only two parts I that I can think of, but I'm sure someone will be along with something I forgot about. There's a couple other parts like certain lights, for example, that can be difficult to find, but there are alternative options that are available everywhere, yet still allow for 100% clone correctness.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#27]
It’s extra rich to hear someone sarcastically cite “scientific evidence.” The “science” is actually what put this topic to bed before it was even up for debate. We knew from the very beginning that, theoretically, CHF and mid gas were both superior to their former configurations. Then, first, the civilian market confirmed that. And, now, the mil has also confirmed that. But, let’s keep talking about science lol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#28]

The 4P is the only part that I think is actually tough to find. They're really not that difficult to find, they're just pricey, so you need to be prepared to pony up when you get the chance. They pop up in the EE once and a while, but I happened to get lucky and a member contacted me offering a trade deal.

Some might say the Colt M4A1/SOCOM lower, but again, they're not really that difficult to locate, just expensive. I went a different route and had an 80% lower custom engraved with the correct markings by a well respected member known for this type of work, and then milled and refinished it myself.

These are the only two parts I that I can think of, but I'm sure someone will be along with something I forgot about. There's a couple other parts like certain lights, for example, that can be difficult to find, but there are alternative options that are available everywhere, yet still allow for 100% clone correctness.
View Quote
All true, unless you live outside the US, then it's goddamn EVERYTHING for a clone becomes hard to find. I was lucky to find an RIS II FSP for sale, let alone the rest.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Yo, @AR-Ryan21 long time no see.

Are you coming back to the clone threads?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:
Yo, @AR-Ryan21 long time no see.

Are you coming back to the clone threads?
View Quote
Hey, man.

Not really. Still own 3 CQBRs, but not all that interested in another 14.5” 5.56. Just saw LAV put that article up on FB yesterday, and it made me laugh and think about some of the past conversations I’ve had with individuals in these clone threads over the years lol.

I still have been checking in from time to time. Not much, though. Pretty much just browse the hometown and outdoors forums these days.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone looking for a legit SU-231a?

Email me!
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

Trainer can!
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:14:22 AM EDT
[#33]
My fiance is from southern IL, it sucks that I cant bring the good stuff with me, considering the vast places to shoot at
View All Quotes

I live a farts sniff away from WI. It sucks knowing 10 miles to the north I could have all the cans I want.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:51:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#34]
Originally Posted By Lerch641:
All true, unless you live outside the US, then it's goddamn EVERYTHING for a clone becomes hard to find. I was lucky to find an RIS II FSP for sale, let alone the rest.
View All Quotes

@Lerch641

That's true. Honestly, I never even considered that. I wonder how many Block II clones there are outside of the United States. How do you get any parts? Doesn't ITAR pretty much restrict the exportation of just about everything? Do you have to rely on private individuals willing to chance shipping internationally?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:09:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Milla] [#35]
So I broke down and purchased a DD RIS wrench. What an absolute pile of crap that thing is. It was out of spec from the get go but I kind of made it work. Torqued the nut to 50 ft lbs and the wrench teeth are now deformed. I can't back the nut off to torque it down again. Are all of their wrenches that garbage? What the hell do I do now? Stupid DD.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:39:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#36]
Originally Posted By Milla:
So I broke down and purchased a DD RIS wrench. What an absolute pile of crap that thing is. It was out of spec from the get go but I kind of made it work. Torqued the nut to 50 ft lbs and the wrench teeth are now deformed. I can't back the nut off to torque it down again. Are all of their wrenches that garbage? What the hell do I do now? Stupid DD.
View Quote
Leave it alone if it's torqued to 50. What else would you do? Lol. We all know the wrench sucks, that's why a lot of us use something else. I use a modified BCM KMR wrench, which is the same as any castle nut wrench.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#37]

@Lerch641

That's true. Honestly, I never even considered that. I wonder how many Block II clones there are outside of the United States. How do you get any parts? Doesn't ITAR pretty much restrict the exportation of just about everything? Do you have to rely on private individuals willing to chance shipping internationally?
View Quote
I run into ITAR issues all the time. Guys were more willing to send me M14E2 hardware and chance it, but when it came to stuff like an RIS II FSP, no dice. Ended up paying a premium for one from a licensed importer. Just waiting to grab my CQD parts that somebody brought up not realizing why nobody would ship across the border.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:02:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#38]
I run into ITAR issues all the time. Guys were more willing to send me M14E2 hardware and chance it, but when it came to stuff like an RIS II FSP, no dice. Ended up paying a premium for one from a licensed importer. Just waiting to grab my CQD parts that somebody brought up not realizing why nobody would ship across the border.
View All Quotes

@Lerch641

I would imagine being in Canada it's much easier for you to get these parts than someone across the pond. Anyone could simply drive across the border with Block II parts in their trunk.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:35:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Milla] [#39]

Leave it alone if it's torqued to 50. What else would you do? Lol. We all know the wrench sucks, that's why a lot of us use something else. I use a modified BCM KMR wrench, which is the same as any castle nut wrench.
View Quote
I usually like to back it off and torque it again to ensure the aeroshell made it on all the threads but yeah I'll leave it. Man that wrench is trash lol.

How are guys modifying these castle nut wrenches, just grinding down the teeth?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:08:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#40]
I usually like to back it off and torque it again to ensure the aeroshell made it on all the threads but yeah I'll leave it. Man that wrench is trash lol.

View All Quotes

Yes, I believe I only had to file a bit of material off of one of the teeth on the wrench and it fit perfectly. You can use it without filing the one tooth, but you'll only be engaging two notches and it'll be canted on the nut. This will still work in a pinch since we're not talking about much torque, but I'd suggest doing it the right way and filing it to fit. Only takes a minute and works perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#41]
I finally put together my block 2 clone with the FSP ris2 but then I picked up the non-fsp dd ris 2. My questions is which rail do you guys think is better for the block 2 and why?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:37:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#42]
Originally Posted By X-man12:
I finally put together my block 2 clone with the FSP ris2 but then I picked up the non-fsp dd ris 2. My questions is which rail do you guys think is better for the block 2 and why?
View Quote
I prefer the non-FSP because the FSP is smack dab in the middle of where I want things mounted. The non-FSP just offers more flexibility, in my opinion, plus as nice as the Block II FSP's look, I think the non-FSP gives a cleaner look.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#43]
For those that asked I fired another 200 today with the h3, suppressed and not suppressed. No hiccups.

tried the h2 and ran fine but the h3 was smoother so it's staying.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#44]
Ordered a new Colt ambi-safety today to replace the KAC ambi that's in the lower now. I guess the Colt would be correct, or at least more correct than the KAC, right? The chart on page one doesn't mention anything about selectors.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Ordered a new Colt ambi-safety today to replace the KAC ambi that's in the lower now. I guess the Colt would be correct, or at least more correct than the KAC, right? The chart on page one doesn't mention anything about selectors.
View Quote
Both are. From where?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#46]
Both are. From where?
View All Quotes
Both are. From where?
Shit. I guess I ordered it for nothing then.

And I ordered it from ARFCOM's favorite vendor, AU.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-Semi-Auto-Ambidextrous-Safety-Selector-Lever-p/sp400831.htm

And don't forget they've also got 14.5" SOCOM barrels in stock @ $240 with free shipping.

@aaron580

ETA: Did you get the tracking number I sent you earlier?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I should have a rear CQD sling plate in the mail tomorrow but Im unsure of if it will go on this block II or not. Were they installed on many of these as standard issue sopmod?

I finally got a 99051 on here instead of the mbus pro and would like to swap my usmc micro for a standard 600m sight but since usmc sights are banned from the EE, I cannot sell it to off set the cost at the moment. Aside from that, all that is left is to swap the birdcage for SF3P and someday add an optic which would likely be 4x acog

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#48]
Originally Posted By ckopp636:
I should have a rear CQD sling plate in the mail tomorrow but Im unsure of if it will go on this block II or not. Were they installed on many of these as standard issue sopmod?

https://i.imgur.com/cAWF0Iv.jpg

I finally got a 99051 on here instead of the mbus pro and would like to swap my usmc micro for a standard 600m sight but since usmc sights are banned from the EE, I cannot sell it to off set the cost at the moment. Aside from that, all that is left is to swap the birdcage for SF3P and someday add an optic which would likely be 4x acog

https://i.imgur.com/VE2tR4R.jpg
View Quote
As far as I'm aware, the CQD front and rear sling mounts are correct for Block II's. I'm looking for a used set before placing an order for new ones.

Congrats on the new 99051. And I know we're not supposed to sell the USMC rear sights in the EE, but I see them posted all the time. I've seen some guys get warned/ads closed over it and some not. Why not just stick with the micro rear? I actually prefer it to the full size 600.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Speaking of CQD sling points...

Mine just arrived and were promptly installed. Blue pen makes it clone correct, right?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#50]
Speaking of CQD sling points...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Black_Hawk_169/20180516_164825_zpsszuwc8cw.jpg

Mine just arrived and were promptly installed. Blue pen makes it clone correct, right?
View Quote
Damn, I need to get me some. I want a set now instead of waiting for a used set. Where'd you get the blue paint marker? That's the color blue I was looking for, but the ones I found were some goofy shade of blue. I ended up using white because it's what I already had.

ETA: Just ordered a set of CQD mounts from Thoroughbred Armament. Hopefully they ship as fast as I've been told they do.
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top