Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2024 10:16:03 AM EDT
Looking to get a 3x magnifier to run with a AP duty on their tall mount.  Anyone have preferred magnifiers?

Based on the positive feedback for the primary arms 3x prism optics I’m leaning towards trying one of their magnifiers.

Also, mounts.  I think I’m stuck using a unity mount, but I’m open to suggestions. Trying to stay under $500 for the mag & mount. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
C_Does is a fan of the Holosun, but I think you are stuck with their mount. The Primary Arms Micro 3x is fantastic compared to the Eotech G33 IMO.
Eotech G33:

Primary Arms Micro 3x:

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I only have one magnifier, the Sig full size 3x.  It does what I need it to.  Has reasonable eye relief and clear glass.  Goes for about $300
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#3]
@spyderboy03 dang!   That’s clear.  Im just hoping for some decent sales.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@spyderboy03 dang!   That's clear.  Im just hoping for some decent sales.
View Quote
I'm sure there will be between now and the 4th of July. I got my PA for $130 on sale or something. Also, this lined up and did not affect POI at 50 or 100 yards. I never did test it further.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both the Eotech G33 and Holosun HM3X. The G33 was my first. That the adjustable turrets aren't shielded at all is kinda sad that said from what I've seen it doesn't really matter if it does get "misadjusted" beyond it just not being centered.

I don't think the price difference is worth it between those extremes. That said I think you're limited on magnifiers based on getting a unity flip to center mount.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Vortex micro and Trijicon 3x.  I can highly recommend both.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the PA SLx full size 3x magnifier behind my MD-25 ACSS red dot.  It works great.  Clear glass, good eye relief and great mount.  

Not fond of the added weight.  I think if I would do it over again, I would get a PA SLx 3X MicroPrism instead.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unity Tactical is coming out, this year, with their own 4X magnifier. I want to try it. It might be just right for you, because you probably need a Unity mount to match your optic height.

https://www.unitytactical.com/fast-ftc-4x/
View Quote

4X is definitely intriguing
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Original Aimpoint 3X.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used the Vortex 3x micro a whole lot over the past few years.  Its fine.

On mounts, and you might think this is super goofy, but I'd just put the original cowitness or 1/3 mount back on your red dot, get a YHM 0.5" riser rail, and put everything on top of that.

Its not cool, but it works, and cost $32.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Embrace tradition, reject exaggerated holdovers. Join the lower 1/3 supremacy movement.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#13]
For ruggedness and long term reliability there is Aimpoint then everything else.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
PA micro 3x with the Pegasus ranging reticle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've used the Vortex 3x micro a whole lot over the past few years.  Its fine.

On mounts, and you might think this is super goofy, but I'd just put the original cowitness or 1/3 mount back on your red dot, get a YHM 0.5" riser rail, and put everything on top of that.

Its not cool, but it works, and cost $32.

https://i.imgur.com/dhbERQbh.jpg
View Quote

@SuperStormBryan
@TBone556

I went with the high mount since I got nods.  I tried it in the lower and it was a mess trying to get the dot visible in the tube.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

@bluedog82 that looks sweet but looks like it ended up canted on a unity mount. So far it looks like I’m going PA micro3x since everyone is loving them.  I just wish he unity mounts weren’t so pricey.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@SuperStormBryan
@TBone556

I went with the high mount since I got nods.  I tried it in the lower and it was a mess trying to get the dot visible in the tube.
View Quote

That's what I'm talking about good buddy, but Unity tall mount for red dot + Unity tall mount for magnifier = ~$300.

YHM half inch riser = $32.

Standard 1.56" 1/3 cowitness factory mount + YHM 0.5" riser = 2.06" optic height.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's what I'm talking about good buddy, but Unity tall mount for red dot + Unity tall mount for magnifier = ~$300.

YHM half inch riser = $32.

Standard 1.56" 1/3 cowitness factory mount + YHM 0.5" riser = 2.06" optic height.
View Quote

@SuperStormBryan I’m a dummy. I understand.  I’ll pull the factory  mount out & check.  I know the aimpoint duty is taller than the normal ones.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
C_Does is a fan of the Holosun, but I think you are stuck with their mount. The Primary Arms Micro 3x is fantastic compared to the Eotech G33 IMO.
Eotech G33:
https://i.imgur.com/gTb3ckA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TCdRB8s.jpg

Primary Arms Micro 3x:
https://i.imgur.com/fp2A9De.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Hm86Pgs.jpg
View Quote

FOV and edge to edge clarity greatly favor the G33 it seems.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

FOV and edge to edge clarity greatly favor the G33 it seems.
View Quote
Field of view is definitely better. The edge to edge clarity difference wasn't as big to me in person. Not sure if its the camera work or my eyes...
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up an almost new Vortex 3x micro from the EE for $90.

I’m extremely satisfied with it.

I’d probably try the Holosun next if the mount isn’t a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I picked up an almost new Vortex 3x micro from the EE from $90.

I’m extremely satisfied with it.

I’d probably try the Holosun next if the mount isn’t a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@SuperStormBryan
@TBone556

View Quote

Bring the optic to your eye not your face to the gun, you don’t need a perfect full stock in the shoulder pocket.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a couple of Vortex micros.  They are solid.

Have a Sig 3x and a Bushnell 3x as well....they work, but I like the micros better.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Juliet4 has matching eye relief and a tad more fov, if you’re looking for a cheaper option now to try it.  I had a g45, juliet4, and juliet6, and kept the juliet4.  G45 was brighter, but the eye box made it harder to use
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried this one and everything was great but the glass. The glass quality is so poor I can't shoot any smaller of a group size with the magnifier than without. I sold it for this reason. On my personal NOT reccomend list.

I would be looking at Aimpont and EOtech magnifiers. I had am original Aimpoint magnifier and it was great. I lost it a couple years ago and miss it very much.

A magnifier that won't allow for a better image is just dead weight no matter how compact it is. My Aimpoint made the reticle sharper. The PA micro made it the same or slightly worse.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bring the optic to your eye not your face to the gun, you don’t need a perfect full stock in the shoulder pocket.
View Quote

@TBone556 my issue is when my nods are down I’m bumping them into my stock trying to get behind the dot.  I’ve got a trij 1-4 that I can technically shoot through with nods on but getting behind the scope is a pain
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Juliet4 has matching eye relief and a tad more fov, if you’re looking for a cheaper option now to try it.  I had a g45, juliet4, and juliet6, and kept the juliet4.  G45 was brighter, but the eye box made it harder to use
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the integrated mount option
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I have tried the following magnifiers:

Aimpoint 3X
EOTech 3X
Holosun 3X
Sig Juliet 5X

The Sig is my favorite of what I've tried and I really like the 5X. Way cheaper and better than most of the 3X. 9Oz weight is not too bad for a 5X benefit. Palmetto was selling them for $159 in 2022. Currently they have them for $200.

If I were buying today, it's hard to argue against the PA 6X for $250. Only 7Oz at 6X is pretty amazing. The Aimpoint 3X is heavier than that. 3X is pretty useless in my opinion. I would rather not have one, than carry an extra half pound on my rifle for 3X.

I had the Aimpoint and EOTech many years ago. I hated those and swore off magnifies for years because of them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not fond of the added weight.  I think if I would do it over again, I would get a PA SLx 3X MicroPrism instead.
View Quote
Same.  My rifle was already a pig, but I bought a mag to try it out.  It was kinda neat, but damn.  I went with a lot of micro prisms, most are 1x, but also bought a 3x and 5x from various manufacturers.  Each has its purpose.  

I am mostly a fan of the LPVO 1-6 Vortex, but I am not trying to keep up with the kool kids.  I shoot what works for me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm the oddball w/ a couple of variable magnifiers, a 1.5-5x & a 2-5x.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top