AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Local shop tried to break theirs, and did. Dropped with legs fully extended and sheared internals. I probably wouldn't be dropping mine onto fully extended legs. Somewhat concerning failure but I still kind of want one.

https://youtu.be/4i-Lo-4zICQ
View Quote
Wow. Guess I'll just get another GGG.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Local shop tried to break theirs, and did. Dropped with legs fully extended and sheared internals. I probably wouldn't be dropping mine onto fully extended legs. Somewhat concerning failure but I still kind of want one.

View Quote
Nice. Looks like this bipod is holding up fairly well. I thought Duane's comment on that video was informative;

Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine will be here Tuesday. I've been using a blackhawk Harris style bipod for years and recently I've been using the utg flex recon m-lok bipod.

Very excited to have a quality bipod
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Can the Magpul Bipod be converted to quick release?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm doing a picatinny rail model and then going with this.

You could do this for cheap, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Larue Tactical, ADM and ARMS all offer quick release mounts that are compatible with the Magpul Bipod ARMS 17s version.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice. Looks like this bipod is holding up fairly well. I thought Duane's comment on that video was informative;

https://imgur.com/3cR34tL.jpg
View Quote
Agreed, I don't read YouTube comments so I had missed it when I posted.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine came in today

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Magpul responsed to the video. I am satisfied with their response.

I got mine a few days ago. I am very happy with it. I have experience with elcheapo bipods and also with an Atlas.

The one thing I like about the atlas more is that the legs have intermediate positions versus the magpul where it is either folded up or down. One thing I like more about the magpul is that the legs can be flipped down without pushing buttons. I know you can’t have it both ways probably.

Quality seems there.  Design seems there. I’m happy.

For the shooting I do...it’s perfect. I occasionally shoot DMR competitions out to 600 yds. For that competition it will be more than enough.

I have mine in pic version so that I can use a KDG quick release mlok rail to swap from rifle to rifle.  Sometimes I take it off from stage to stage depending on if I’ll need it or not.

J
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I am doing this....

https://kineticdg.com/product/kinectmlok-3-slot-single-mlok-picatinny-section/
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am doing this....

View Quote
Report back after some use if you would. IIRC they specifically state they do not recommend this piece for mounting a bipod. I had thought of trying it anyway, but seems I won't have to if you'll share your experience
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Report back after some use if you would. IIRC they specifically state they do not recommend this piece for mounting a bipod. I had thought of trying it anyway, but seems I won't have to if you'll share your experience
View Quote
I know why.  When these first came out I bought a KDG rail for my SCAR 16 and this 3 slot QD mount for my Atlas bipod.  If you shoot with the bipod loaded the QD mount POPS OUT under recoil.  I confirmed this several times both loaded and unloaded.  After putting my muzzle in the dirt 5 times I gave up on it.  Thought about trying the longer QD section but then that kinda defeats the purpose for me and I eventually took the rail off my SCAR too.

As much as I don't drink the Bobro coolaid, their new Scout mount with a thumbwheel (a la Scalarworks) design would work awesome for a tool-less-semi-qd bipod mount.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 Harris bipods, and this is on my short list.  I fondled one at Scheel's yesterday, they had all flavors of black in stock.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s interesting. I actually didn’t know that it wasn’t recommended. I’ve used an Atlas with the 7 slot section in 2 different DMR competitions.  I never had a problem. I was shooting a .223 and probably wasn’t properly “loading” the bipod at all times either. However, after 200-300 rounds I never had any problems. I haven’t tried it yet with the magpul setup but I don’t expect any issues there either.  I will say that the KDG rail section isn’t 100% solid to the rail. I’m using a Seekins rail, ALG, and Midwest Indistries as my test beds.  Under pan/tilt I get a little bit of play.  It wasn’t a deal breaker for me with my application.  It was solid enough for me. It supported the load I put into it against barricades when I had an atlas deployed at 45 degree angles just fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

J
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Do these have a larger footprint than the Harris?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one with roughly 150 rounds of 308 on it and while it works well I wouldn't give up my atlas for it.I would prefer it to have more leg angle options like the atlas but for 50% less there's going to be some trade offs.Ive seen some people complain about the wobble in the legs,but if you load it like you're supposed to its a non existent issues.The plastic button is my only real problem with it but I don't plan on dropping anything.

Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have one with roughly 150 rounds of 308 on it and while it works well I wouldn't give up my atlas for it.I would prefer it to have more leg angle options like the atlas but for 50% less there's going to be some trade offs.Ive seen some people complain about the wobble in the legs,but if you load it like you're supposed to its a non existent issues.The plastic button is my only real problem with it but I don't plan on dropping anything.

https://image.ibb.co/gZFF4e/td.jpg
View Quote
Yea the next version should have metal buttons/leg locks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I went with the pic version and use this to move it between different mlok rails

Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Holy hell.  I might just have to buy one.  I am not a Magpul fanboy, but every once in a while, they get it right.

Very nice!  Look forward to more reports
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Any additional comments on these?

I am tired of swapping my Atlas between two rifles at the range, and wanted something besides the Harris models that I have previously given up on, so really interested in this Magpul bipod (as well as possibly the Warne if/when it gets released).

I am most likely ordering a FDE model soon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Ordered Picatinny FDE from Brownell's like 3 weeks ago, still haven't heard anything.

Anybody got a source?  I need 2.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ordered Picatinny FDE from Brownell's like 3 weeks ago, still haven't heard anything.

Anybody got a source?  I need 2.
View Quote
https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-bipod-for-1913-picatinny-rail
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not to be mean, but found your problem. I refuse to do business with Optics Planet since they'll take your order on anything and then take their sweet, sweet time (or however long) actually fulfilling it.
View Quote

If the price is right, it can be worth the wait.  They have delivered on items I couldn't find elsewhere at better prices.  Sales, discount codes, and also "make an offer" deals.  They may take a while on some items, but they have always come through. 

I have waited on a stack of tax stamps, so I have learned to be patient.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine today.  Very happy with it so far.  Light, seems very sturdy.  Hopefully get a chance to shoot off of it this weekend.  My only complaint is one of the legs was a little sticky when telescoping.  Working it back and forth a couple dozen times loosened it up.

It will live on my 12" 6.5 G.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Got mine (M-LOK version) last week and finally mounted it a couple days ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went in to the same LGS and asked if they would still recommend it after breaking theirs. The answer was a solid yes with the caveat that it was as long as I didn't need to regularly throw myself full body on the rifle with legs fully extended.

Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got mine today.  Very happy with it so far.  Light, seems very sturdy.  Hopefully get a chance to shoot off of it this weekend.  My only complaint is one of the legs was a little sticky when telescoping.  Working it back and forth a couple dozen times loosened it up.

It will live on my 12" 6.5 G.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/3ABE90E8-CBB8-41AF-95D2-CD42BD75AAB1-683986.JPG
View Quote
Was it the right leg?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Was it the right leg?
View Quote
Yep!  I take it I'm not the first to report that issue?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I used mine a few weeks ago and it was great. I have mine set up with the pan disabled but definitely lighter than my Harris.

Function is great
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
how is there not one single review online of one? No preproduction test ones sent to anyone?
View Quote
Here is a review of one: Magpul Bipod Review It seems like a pretty good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm still waiting on my Pic FDE bipods, but I went out and grabbed a black m-lok for the girlfriend's rifle.  I actually used it on my CZ Scorpion to re-zero it after changing barrels and handguards.  Goofy sight to see, but the bipod itself was pretty nice.

The Scorpion's precision, however...
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Finally got my ADM 17S mount and put this thing together.

Pretty happy with it so far.  Everything seem pretty intuitive and easy to use.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Got a chance to shoot off of mine today.  Love it even more!  Very stable, adjustments are easy.  Just enough play in the legs to be able to load it properly.  I'll never go back to a Harris style bipod.  This one is a keeper!  Once I figure out a way to mount one to the Boyd's At One on the RAR it will be getting upgraded to a Magpul bipod as well.

12" 6.5 Grendel build.  Need to pick up a better rear bag.  I'm out of practice shooting off a bench.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I ordered an FDE M-LOK from Brownells on August 9 - notified of backorder status that day and still nothing. Ugh. Hoping it arrives before the snow does.

By the way, I just checked Magpul's site and they have FDE M-LOKs in stock.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I ordered an FDE M-LOK from Brownells on August 9 - notified of backorder status that day and still nothing. Ugh. Hoping it arrives before the snow does.

By the way, I just checked Magpul's site and they have FDE M-LOKs in stock.
View Quote
Where did you order from?

I paid MSRP to walk out with it same day, and support a LGS.  Brownell's has a killer price if you wait for the right coupon code.  Cabelas is listed as a retailer but I still haven't seen one show up there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Where did you order from?

I paid MSRP to walk out with it same day, and support a LGS.  Brownell's has a killer price if you wait for the right coupon code.  Cabelas is listed as a retailer but I still haven't seen one show up there.
View Quote
As I stated in my post - I ordered from Brownells back on September 9th. Still showing backordered. I got a good price and am in no hurry.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As I stated in my post - I ordered from Brownells back on September 9th. Still showing backordered. I got a good price and am in no hurry.
View Quote
Holy shit, my reading comprehension is apparently garbage today. Thanks for going easy on me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Holy shit, my reading comprehension is apparently garbage today. Thanks for going easy on me.
View Quote
Too funny!! Thanks for taking the response as it was intended - figured you'd just missed my original comment and there are enough sites around where you can't make a comment without being skewered.

I learned early in my Army career to praise in public and punish in private. No punishment deserved here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#39]
When it rains, it pours.

Got tired of waiting for Brownells to ship my FDE M-Lok bipod after it was available on the Magpul site for over 30 days. Sent an email to Brownells customer support cancelling my order. Ordered one from Magpul direct.

Got an email 4 days later that my Magpul order had shipped...followed by an email from Brownells that my order had shipped.

SO much for Brownells customer support - I've sent them two emails with no response...other than a survey asking how well they responded to my initial request to cancel my order.

The Magpul order arrived yesterday - the Brownell is till a 4 days out.

I'll post a pic tonight after I have a chance to put it on.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep the extra or just sell it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#40]
The legs have too much fore and aft play.  When I load the bipod, I have to slide my entire body forward about an inch or two which causes me to get out of position, I then have to regain my entire position and sight picture.  When I use this bipod, I feel like I am constantly having to slide my entire body forward when shooting prone.   It is annoying.

My right leg also collapsed when I set the gun down with a moderate amount of force from about a 3-4" drop to the ground.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Installed mine tonight. Mine has very little fore/aft play - I'm very happy with the initial impression in terms of quality and function. Need to get it out on the range for a full review but, out of the box, I'm pleased.

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#42]
SKD shows both colors in all 3 variations in stock right now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought the FDE ARMS17 style bipod a few weeks ago and was waiting to pick a mount. It is going on a LaRue rifle so I was going to get the LT271 mount instead of another brand.

I added the VFZ style to my cart but was concerned with if the bolt can be accessed with the wrench. Anyone know? FWIW a quick Google search turns up some complaints about the VFZ  mount not working with Atlas bipods unless you get an open ended wrench.

I could just get the QD model mount but I'd rather put the $25 towards another MBT-2S

ETA 11-26: Cyber Monday sale dropped the legacy QD mount so bought it anyways.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top