Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Need everyone’s thoughts. I’m trying to build a 15.1". Should I buy a barrel and send it to Adco for a chop and contour or have CLE cut me a new one to 15.1"?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
Need everyone’s thoughts. I’m trying to build a 15.1". Should I buy a barrel and send it to Adco for a chop and contour or have CLE cut me a new one to 15.1"?
View Quote
Depends on what barrel you would send to Adco for the chop as the cut/thread and re-contour can get pricey. If CLE doesn't charge too much to revise one of their own then I'd stick with them. I'll tell you that my CLE Douglas has been an absolute stud of a barrel. I bought mine as a 16" and used for a while before sending to Adco for the chop. It shot very well in either case.

I may be changing up things again (I know I have issues) and my 15.x" may not work on the new build so I may be unloading mine if so.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
CLE builds perfection.

ADCO re-creates perfection.

Buy a barrel from CLE and then there's no need for a face lift from ADCO.

Oh and what's up with this ballin' recce thread.....I see some folks have been busy while I was incognito....
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:38:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#5]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Depends on what barrel you would send to Adco for the chop as the cut/thread and re-contour can get pricey. If CLE doesn't charge too much to revise one of their own then I'd stick with them. I'll tell you that my CLE Douglas has been an absolute stud of a barrel. I bought mine as a 16" and used for a while before sending to Adco for the chop. It shot very well in either case.

I may be changing up things again (I know I have issues) and my 15.x" may not work on the new build so I may be unloading mine if so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you sell your 15.1" let me know. I’ll buy it!

Originally Posted By 5pt56:

CLE builds perfection.

Oh and what's up with this ballin' recce thread.....I see some folks have been busy while I was incognito....
That’s what I was leaning towards. Have 1 person do it all instead of sending it all over.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:50:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usnguns] [#6]
First one to chop it, nerds.

Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usnguns] [#8]
@Eyekahn
Since this is your thread, is it exclusive to the FF RAS guns, or are we calling other NSW scoped M4-type rifles "Recces?"   ....have a couple pics no one has seen before...
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By usnguns:
@Eyekahn
Since this is your thread, is it exclusive to the FF RAS guns, or are we calling other NSW scoped M4-type rifles "Recces?"   ....have a couple pics no one has seen before...
View Quote
As far as a build goes I’d like to keep it to the RAS/MRE but can’t deny the legit NSW setups. Let’s see them.

Drop knowledge on us!
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
I got another 24 hours before the x24 gets delivered and this did not help the wait any....haha
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
POST 'EM! @usnguns
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:44:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Infidel4life11] [#12]
CLE builds perfection.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
CLE builds perfection.

Good to see you homie! @5pt56

+3 for CLE. I talked to Frank and he worked up my 14.5” mid length ops inc on a douglas blank and it’s been amazing.

ETA: I believe Dobs is running a CLE also on his gangster RECCE
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#13]

CLE builds perfection.

View Quote
Hey Homie!! Welcome back! Now post some pics bc I know you got stuff
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:03:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usnguns] [#14]
These setups are pretty much widely known about now.

But these aren't...Mk18 Mod 1 lowers, LMT DMR buttstock, commercial DD upper with Slim Rail 12.0, midlength gas barrel, 4 prong.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
http://i.imgur.com/IwhTuxy.jpg

But these aren't...Mk18 Mod 1 lowers, LMT DMR buttstock, commercial DD upper with Slim Rail 12.0, midlength gas barrel, 4 prong.
http://i.imgur.com/M0lMsjZ.jpg
View Quote
What’s the background on these? Who was testing/using them?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:35:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usnguns] [#16]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

What’s the background on these? Who was testing/using them?
View Quote
2015.  West Coast NSW.  The amount of weird and random shit that never gets photographed is vast.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]

2015.  West Coast NSW.  The amount of weird and random shit that never gets photographed is vast.
View Quote
My eyes kind of hurt now. Glad they 86’d those.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

My eyes kind of hurt now. Glad they 86’d those.
View Quote
Who says they did?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Who says they did?
View Quote
For the prosperity of this thread, let us assume they did.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

For the prosperity of this thread, let us assume they did.
View Quote
Yupppp
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Sooooooo much better!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
Sooooooo much better!!
https://i.imgur.com/sC0UTrW.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Sooooooo much better!!
View Quote
Looks so good!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you Sirs! It's been a long road to this point but this configuration, at least saying this without shooting it yet, is about perfect!
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#25]
http://i.imgur.com/IwhTuxy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M0lMsjZ.jpg
View Quote
This is cool, love seeing non standard configured issue rifles!

That stock seems like an odd choice. Who's gonna clone one? Haha
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Help me with the KAC rail.  I'm interested in the SEAL recce specs, to the extent they can be known.

There seem to be several variations of the FF RAS and I'm not sure what is authentic and what is "good enough."  I'm building m Recce around the Lilja 16" M4 Navy barrel with the KAC M4QD Flash Hider for its N4 suppressor.

What rail model number is authentic?  I know it has to be a KAC FF RAS, but it seems that the authentic ones are labeled "M4 Match." It is a 12" FF quad with the KAC rails on three sides.

What I can find appears identical other than it is labeled differently.  It has SKU part number 21318 and is listed most places as KAC Mk12 Mod 1. This is obviously for the Mk12 Mod 1 build.  Are they identical beyond labels?  How clone correct must it be to run on the Navy SEAL recce?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MS556:
Help me with the KAC rail.  I'm interested in the SEAL recce specs, to the extent they can be known.

There seem to be several variations of the FF RAS and I'm not sure what is authentic and what is "good enough."  I'm building m Recce around the Lilja 16" M4 Navy barrel with the KAC M4QD Flash Hider for its N4 suppressor.

What rail model number is authentic?  I know it has to be a KAC FF RAS, but it seems that the authentic ones are labeled "M4 Match." It is a 12" FF quad with the KAC rails on three sides.

What I can find appears identical other than it is labeled differently.  It has SKU part number 21318 and is listed most places as KAC Mk12 Mod 1. This is obviously for the Mk12 Mod 1 build.  Are they identical beyond labels?  How clone correct must it be to run on the Navy SEAL recce?
View Quote
What you have found is the current production rail that you'll want. Sometimes companies label it as the MK12 mod 1 rail because it is the same rail. Just like the SAM-R which uses that rail. The one you have identified as being labeled as M4 match most likely also has Vero Beach and would be the historically accurate rail however that would be a feat to find and most likely twice the dough of the current production. I'll post a pic here soon and it is the current production model rail and is good to go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine as it sits now.

Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#29]

What you have found is the current production rail that you'll want. Sometimes companies label it as the MK12 mod 1 rail because it is the same rail. Just like the SAM-R which uses that rail. The one you have identified as being labeled as M4 match most likely also has Vero Beach and would be the historically accurate rail however that would be a feat to find and most likely twice the dough of the current production. I'll post a pic here soon and it is the current production model rail and is good to go.
View Quote
Thank you.  If it physically identical and from KAC I can live with that.  My Lilja barrel is new (well, been running it recce-ish for a year or so).  I'd just like to be a bit more true to form.  FWIW, with match component handloads that barrel is sub 1/2 MOA.  I just added the KAC flash hider to mount the N4.  I'll place the order for the rail.  Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Thank you.  If it physically identical and from KAC I can live with that.  My Lilja barrel is new (well, been running it recce-ish for a year or so).  I'd just like to be a bit more true to form.  FWIW, with match component handloads that barrel is sub 1/2 MOA.  I just added the KAC flash hider to mount the N4.  I'll place the order for the rail.  Much appreciated.
View Quote
It's the exact same rail minus the laser engraving name. You'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#31]
What barrel length is this?  I would think it’s a 16” Lilja but just wanted to make sure.  Looking at possibly cloning it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
What barrel length is this?  I would think it’s a 16” Lilja but just wanted to make sure.  Looking at possibly cloning it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414212/EC01B2EC-8933-466B-AB9C-6A8553AEF64F-612213.JPG
View Quote
http://riflebarrels.com/shop/drop-in-barrels/223-8-ar740-20-copy/
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Sooooooo much better!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:35:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#35]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414212/EC01B2EC-8933-466B-AB9C-6A8553AEF64F-612213.JPG
View Quote
Photo looks a bit fuzzy, but an M4 Navy Lilja Recce barrel will be labeled "Lilja M4 .223 8T" along the top of the barrel beginning about 3 inches in from the muzzle.  Despite label, it has a Wylde chamber.  While called a 16", I'm not sure all barrel makers measure the same way.  It will be about 1/2" longer than a typical 16" gov't profile type carbine barrel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Per the drawing on their site, the OAL of the barrel is 17.00" with a muzzle thead depth of 0.60". So 16.4" OAL not counting the threads. Also if you are wanting to use a barrel that isn't the lilja barrel you will have to get a barrel with carbine gas.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Christened the recce today, name is fitting

Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#38]

https://i.imgur.com/DULTyTV.jpg
View Quote
You’re damn right it is
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:

You’re damn right it is
View Quote
Hahaha, for both of us no less
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
@Dobs013

How do you like the Vortex FH?  I have one I planned on having P&W to mount an AEM5 and was wondering if the ping was as bad as people say.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Would a LMT MRP with a NF 2.5-10 X 42 be "worthy" as a starting point?  Or a LaRue OBR with the same scope?  I am seriously considering installing an A1 stock on the LaRue...

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#43]

@Dobs013

How do you like the Vortex FH?  I have one I planned on having P&W to mount an AEM5 and was wondering if the ping was as bad as people say.
View Quote
I like the vortex, I've always been a FH over brake person, especially on AR's. As far as the ping, it is there. I wouldn't say it's necessarily louder than any other pronged fh, but it definitely resonates at a higher frequency. The ping is the nature of the beast with the pronged FH's unfortunately. I've used the for so long I barely notice it anymore. The thing that makes the vortex handy is the milled flats in the threads. So if you're looking to pin and weld it's the way to go for sure. I can't speak as to what the effect of the can would be as far as eliminating the ping, I haven't gotten off my ass and gotten one yet, but I would think it would take a good portion if not all away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
Would a LMT MRP with a NF 2.5-10 X 42 be "worthy" as a starting point?  Or a LaRue OBR with the same scope?  I am seriously considering installing an A1 stock on the LaRue...

View Quote
That would be an incredible build but fit the general recce thread vs this one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:43:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#45]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

View Quote
Not in this thread. Would fit the regular Recce thread. Sounds badass though. Post it in there when you’re done.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:22:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#46]
Just saw this: https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-midlength-non-threaded-cmv-modern-barrel.html Wondering if it would be a good cheap one to send to ADCO. I already have my Douglas but a spare never hurt and it come's unthreaded so they are choppin it anyways. All my BA barrel's have shot great.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
Just saw this: https://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-midlength-non-threaded-cmv-modern-barrel.html Wondering if it would be a good cheap one to send to ADCO. I already have my Douglas but a spare never hurt and it come's unthreaded so they are choppin it anyways. All my BA barrel's have shot great.
View Quote
I’m sure it’s a nice barrel but I prefer stainless and heavier profile for a more precision oriented rig like the recce platform.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#48]

I’m sure it’s a nice barrel but I prefer stainless and heavier profile for a more precision oriented rig like the recce platform.
View Quote
That's what I'm running for this build, CLE Douglas Recon. Just figured it would be a nice cheap one for shit's and giggles.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

That's what I'm running for this build, CLE Douglas Recon. Just figured it would be a nice cheap one for shit's and giggles.
View Quote
@eMc9001 I have BA's 16" mid-length Stainless with the opc inc contour Link and it shot really well. I originally had it on my recce before switching to a M4 Socom barrel.

Less than 100rds fired and a little spray paint on it, I'll sell it for $120 shipped if you are interested.

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:

@eMc9001 I have BA's 16" mid-length Stainless with the opc inc contour Link and it shot really well. I originally had it on my recce before switching to a M4 Socom barrel.

Less than 100rds fired and a little spray paint on it, I'll sell it for $120 shipped if you are interested.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2018-01-13_11_13_30-418971.jpg
View Quote
I appreciate it dude but mainly was looking into to have a spare barrel chopped to 15.1 so it could sit flush with the rail.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top