Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2024 7:39:45 PM EDT
I am looking to add a red dot or maybe a prism optic to my A2 rifle. Its one of my favorite rifles and one I have owned the longest. Its time to upgrade it with an optic. I will list my choices below. My budget is $299 - $450 for just the optic. One optic I will say that I am not interested in, is the Aimpoint Pro. It's a great optic, but a bit heavy and I don't really want to add a lot of weight to this setup. I also need to mention that I have an astigmatism. Prism optics seem to work great with that for me and oddly enough, so doesn't Holosun optics.

My choices with mount optics listed below them -

Holosun AEMS (I own one of these with a green multi reticle and love it. Works great with my astigmatism).

Holosun AEMS Core (I like the price point of this one).

This is the mount for the AEMS on an A2 carry handle. Does this look like it would cause it to sit to high? It does allow me to still use my iron sights and I like that.

Trijicon MRO. I had one of these years ago and really liked it. I only sold it to try out a Meprolight RDS Pro V2. I ended up really loving the PRO V2, but feel that optic won't work as well on the A2. I also kind of hated that I sold the MRO. I had no issues with it and it worked with my astigmatism too.

This is the mount for the Trijicon MRO. Again, does it look like it might sit to high on the carry handle?

Holosun HS515GM. I own one of these and run it on my AK. Really great optic and tough as nails. I have had it on a few of my AR's and a couple of my bullpups before it found a permanent home on my AK.

This is an option for the HS515GM. I am also open to suggestions for mounts. I don't know who all makes a mount for an A2 carry handle.

Primary Arms GLx 2x. I have owned one of these in the past and liked it and I think I would like to give it another chance.

Primary Arms GLx 1x. I'm still waiting for some more reviews to come out on this optic. I like that it doesn't have the big knob on the side of it. That is a home run for me.

Primary Arms SD-21. I think this one will be out later this year. It might be worth a look, but just not really sure.

As of right now, those are my choices. If you have a suggestion, I am open to listen to them. I thought about the Aimpoint Duty, but I am not sure how it would work on an A2.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
That AEM mount in a carry handle looks really stupid and I couldn’t get over it.

Prism or Micro Style red dot would be a much better option. All listed are a good choice, Glx 2x on my 20” a2 is a lot of fun at the range. . The Aimpoint duty has an integral mount base height that’s literally made for flat top rails. Would be silly on an A2

Most carry handle mounts allow you to use your iron sights under them.

Link Posted: 9/23/2024 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
That AEM mount in a carry handle looks really stupid and I couldn’t get over it.

Prism or Micro Style red dot would be a much better option. All listed are a good choice, Glx 2x on my 20” a2 is a lot of fun at the range. . The Aimpoint duty has an integral mount base height that’s literally made for flat top rails. Would be silly on an A2

Most carry handle mounts allow you to use your iron sights under them.

View Quote

I’m really thinking the GLx 2x might be the best option. I think PA sells a mount that will allow me to use the iron sights too. Maybe PA will run some good Black Friday sales.

I agree on the AEMS it looks a bit odd.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
@03RN
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I don't like those mounts. Are you wanting only high carry handle mounted optics?

This will be required for prisms, but if you go red dot, there are goose neck options, too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:

I’m really thinking the GLx 2x might be the best option. I think PA sells a mount that will allow me to use the iron sights too. Maybe PA will run some good Black Friday sales.

View Quote

The GLx 2x prism does have a nice form factor on a carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
@03RN
View Quote

Is this a 20" a2 or a carbine?

I had a 3x micro prism on my 20" a2 for a while. I liked it but wound up moving it to a carbine. I really enjoy shooting it with irons and the form factor of the traditional 20" a2 so am keeping it bare. I think the 3x micro is the beat choice outside an actual acog.

Attachment Attached File

If it's a carbine then the aimpoint pro is solid too
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

I had a 3x micro prism on my 20" a2 for a while. I liked it but wound up moving it to a carbine. I really enjoy shooting it with irons and the form factor of the traditional 20" a2 so am keeping it bare. I think the 3x micro is the beat choice outside an actual acog.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/image_jpg-3330981.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:
@03RN

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/image_jpg-3330981.JPG

I should have stated in my post that it is going on a carbine. Great looking rifle! I kind of want to build a 20”. I sold mine years ago and miss them.

The Aimpoint Pro looks great on the carbine, but I don’t want the weight of it. I think the GLx 1x and GLx 2x might be the option I go with. The Holosun HS515GM is also high on my list as well as the Trijicon MRO. I think the AEMS is going to sit to high. I have a couple of months before I pull the trigger and buy something. I’m waiting for some Black Friday deals.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I don't like those mounts. Are you wanting only high carry handle mounted optics?

This will be required for prisms, but if you go red dot, there are goose neck options, too.
View Quote

I thought about a goose neck as an option but I’m kind of not wanting to go that route.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah it does. It looks like it was meant to be there. Same as an Aimpoint Pro, it just works on a carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 3:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OlympicArmsFan] [#10]
https://youtube.com/shorts/sBTfQiP46YY?si=-v3uosdiOtOVTloc

Here is a short on YouTube of the GLx 1x on a carry handle. Looks good. I need more data on the GLx 1x before I take the plunge. I have been waiting on this one and for some reviews from YouTubers that’s I trust.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]
The mini-ACOG works really well...this is an old TA-26R.

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By The-Ant1-Liberal:
The mini-ACOG works really well...this is an old TA-26R.

https://i.imgur.com/aoXVyLU.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful rifle. I wish I could afford an ACOG. It looks perfect in the carry handle. The closest I’ll come to it is with the GLx 2x.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not a fan of open emitters, but RMRs look good on an A2.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 3:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#14]
I'm pretty happy with the Colt 4X I got from Brownell's. It's got a short eye box like an ACOG but glass clarity is really nice. Make a burner email and signup with them to get 10% off.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/25/2024 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Beautiful rifle. I wish I could afford an ACOG. It looks perfect in the carry handle. The closest I’ll come to it is with the GLx 2x.
View Quote

You'd be surprised what you can afford here on the EE...I picked this optic up second hand a few years back on the EE for a fraction of what a NIB TA-44 (next gen TA-26) goes for.

Don't give up the hunt!
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

They're being sold on Reddit GunAccessoriesForSale all the time.
Link Posted: Today 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I do worry about buying used optics. From them being fake to them having issues and need warranty work. That is one of the reasons I’m waiting until Christmas time to buy an optic. I’m hoping to find some good deals.

I think the GLx 2x and 1x are what I am looking for. I would like to get either a Holosun HS515GM or Trijicon MRO, but not sure if they will mount to high on the carry handle. I’m guessing mounting issues is why a lot of people choose Aimpoint Pro. I love the way they look on a carry handle, but the weight issue is my only issue with it.
Link Posted: Today 1:52:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
I'm not a fan of open emitters, but RMRs look good on an A2.
View Quote

I agree and wouldn’t mind a closed emitter. Lead & Steal offerings looked good and not a bad price point but I feel like the issue they had with FocusTrip soured me on their company.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top