Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1194
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Originally Posted By RCC1:
I am assuming that ARM's #22 medium rings are the correct rings to use. Which forum vendor is a good source for these?

Thanks.

If you're building a Mod0, use the ARMS #22 medium rings with the SWAN sleeve; if you're going Mod1, use the high rings.  I've been seeing tons of ARMS #22 rings in the EE lately; I got my high rings for $85 shipped.

This is correct.  Also recommend the EE for ARMS rings.  Deals can be had.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
More Mod0 goodness, shall we.

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My upper arrived today, thanks again Kevin@High Caliber Sales. Ive got a Mark4 2.5-8 on the way. I ordered a lower parts kit from Palmetto so hopefully it will be ready to shoot this weekend.

Link Posted: 3/24/2011 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful!!!  Looking forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Love, love, love! That handguard looks great!
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck with shooting this weekend; my Palmetto lower took almost two weeks to get to me! Did you go with Geissele trigger?
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
this is such an awesome rifle, i have a MK12 Mod 0, and im working on a mod1.  just ordered the KAC rail, i got
a custom cut barrel , and a KAC bipod adapter.

need the Ops collar, gas block, sights, and a few other little things. after that a SAM/R. its hard to get the KAC front
sight with bayo lug.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
im working on a mod1.  just ordered the KAC rail...

Where the F did you find the rail?
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:22:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCVET1130] [#9]
im working on a mod1.  just ordered the KAC rail...

I believe Kevin said that he has a few extra.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
Good luck with shooting this weekend; my Palmetto lower took almost two weeks to get to me! Did you go with Geissele trigger?

I ordered the Daniel Defense LPK from Palmetto, but I dont use the trigger that comes with it. I dont see alot of people use/talk about Timney here, but I install one in nearly every build I do. The Timneys have always worked flawlessly for me. It kinda stinks that that everytime I buy a LPK, the trigger that comes with it ends up in a box. I have amassed quite a few RRA,Spikes,DD's, etc over the past years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RCC1:
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:

I ordered the Daniel Defense LPK from Palmetto, but I dont use the trigger that comes with it. I dont see alot of people use/talk about Timney here, but I install one in nearly every build I do. The Timneys have always worked flawlessly for me. It kinda stinks that that everytime I buy a LPK, the trigger that comes with it ends up in a box. I have amassed quite a few RRA,Spikes,DD's, etc over the past years.

+1 I use the Chip McCormick triggers in all my AR builds and the stock triggers just sit in a box.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firemedic2000] [#12]
Here's my MK12 Mod1 I'm still working on. I need to put a bi pod, correct muzzle break, correct scope mount and I want to change scope dial caps. It has a Colt lower with a Chip McCormick trigger, upper was done by CLE. It has a Douglas 18 in barrel, Leupold Mark 4 2.5X8X36 and P.E.R.P. scope mount. The P.E.R.P. is a solid mount when installed properly.  After seeing some of the paint jobs here I'm going to have to do that also.

This rifle is a tack driver. The one pic was shot with loads I worked up,  77 gr SMKs on top of 23.8 grs. of TAC. Shot a five rd group at 100 yds. The one stray shot is where my Bro-In-Law shot my target screwing with me. I am working up loads for Nosler 77 gr. next since I got 1K of the bullets on sale and use IMR 8208 XBR powder. I am getting a can for it after I finish building it. My next build will be the MOD 0 or a bolt rifle in 338 Lapua.

Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats a great looking rifle and great looking groups. I finished my lower this afternoon, so now Im just waiting on the scope/rings to show up and head to the range. I didnt use the spec lower or stock as I wanted something alittle different but still in the spirit of the Mod0. Billet lower and Magpul UBR.

Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firemedic2000] [#14]
Man that is a really great looking rifle. Have a good time at the range when you get there. What ammo are you going to be using
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By firemedic2000:
Man that is a really great looking rifle. Have a good time at the range when you get there. What ammo are you going to be using

I have a few 1000 rounds of Black 75gr HP and 75gr Tap that I use in another long range AR I built. If that doesnt work to my expectations , I already reload for all of my bolt guns, Ill grab some 77gr SMK's and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
That ammo should work really well. I reloaded some Hornady 75gr using TAC One of these loads were loaded hot. These are five shot groups. The  load that used 24.5 grs of TAC which was loaded hot shot pretty good except for the last rd when I jerked the trigger. I think if I reload any more 75 gr pills I use that load. the red dot is the size of a nickel. I just had to work up to these loads and watch for pressure signs. But these rifles in this post are just great shooters and unbelievably accurate. Once you start shooting these weapons it's like being addicted to a drug. I just can't get enough of it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2011 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Good shooting! I've been running 24gr of TAC with really good results as well out of my MOD 1. It's the only powder I've tried that I can even get close to the Velocity of the Mk262! I havent have much luck with the 75's yet.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I want one of these so bad but my bank account says NO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Great looking builds and even better looking groups.  Firemedic, are you pretty content with the 2.5-8x Leupold or would you rather have a little more magnification, say a 3-12x?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Great looking builds and even better looking groups.  Firemedic, are you pretty content with the 2.5-8x Leupold or would you rather have a little more magnification, say a 3-12x?

I can't talk for firemedic but I have the 3-9 and would kill for more magnification but then it wouldn't be a correct clone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#22]
true.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Originally Posted By REDX:

I can't talk for firemedic but I have the 3-9 and would kill for more magnification but then it wouldn't be a correct clone.

You could certainly say the same thing for off brand rails, UBR stocks, mounts and other components.  A clone, or even "close to clone" MK12 certainly isn't a poor mans game, and is specific in nature.

Nope', the Mk12's certainly are not an entry level build.

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]
RCC1.

Love your MK12. I will have to post photos of mine if I ever get a new camera.

Tell me about how you have those guns hanging in the back.

Is that a commercial holder or something you made.

I have wanted to do something similar for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By _ERIK_:

RCC1.

Love your MK12. I will have to post photos of mine if I ever get a new camera.

Tell me about how you have those guns hanging in the back.

Is that a commercial holder or something you made.

I have wanted to do something similar for a long time.

Plastix Plus AR wall mounts..

http://pptexas.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=pptexas&Category_Code=ar15

Link Posted: 3/26/2011 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#26]
thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 3:35:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nohobandit] [#27]

You could certainly say the same thing for off brand rails, UBR stocks, mounts and other components.  A clone, or even "close to clone" MK12 certainly isn't a poor mans game, and is specific in nature.

I agree, I just got rid of my Leupold and went to a higher powered optic. However, I built mine in 6.8 so it wasn't a true clone to begin with. But the Trijicon 5-20 mil-dot makes it a lot nicer to shoot at longer distances.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 4:21:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FAB-10_Guy] [#28]
Originally Posted By nohobandit:

I agree, I just got rid of my Leupold and went to a higher powered optic. However, I built mine in 6.8 so it wasn't a true clone to begin with. But the Trijicon 5-20 mil-dot makes it a lot nicer to shoot at longer distances.

A true clone (assuming you're not using a true A1 RR for a lower) is going to run upwards of $4000.  It can be done for less, but not much.  The pricy bits are the Ops Inc 12th model, and the scope.  Just these 2 parts together will usually top $2000.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my KAC FF yesterday.   One piece closer............
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 5:49:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firemedic2000] [#30]

To be honest I wish I had gone with more magnification and I have been think of getting another scope. These are great scopes. Very clear and dead on. I just want to see a little better with these 50 yr old eyes.  I'm getting ready to get my can for it now. This rifle is a addiction
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#31]

To be honest I wish I had gone with more magnification and I have been think of getting another scope. These are great scopes. Very clear and dead on. I just want to see a little better with these 50 yr old eyes.  I'm getting ready to get my can for it now. This rifle is a addiction

Well I just ordered my Nikon M-223 2-8x so we'll see what happens.  Of course I know this isn't to spec but otherwise, my build should be pretty damn close; close as I can get it anyways.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Great looking builds and even better looking groups. Firemedic, are you pretty content with the 2.5-8x Leupold or would you rather have a little more magnification, say a 3-12x?

To be honest I wish I had gone with more magnification and I have been think of getting another scope. These are great scopes. Very clear and dead on. I just want to see a little better with these 50 yr old eyes. I'm getting ready to get my can for it now. This rifle is a addiction

Well I just ordered my Nikon M-223 2-8x so we'll see what happens. Of course I know this isn't to spec but otherwise, my build should be pretty damn close; close as I can get it anyways.

^ Great signature line btw!

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Yea I know what you mean. When I ordered the Leupold I had sticker shock for about a month and I know guys here have spent a lot more than that on their scopes. But Nikon make a absolutely fantastic scope. So you did not go wrong there. I looked at the exact same scope before I bought mine and came within a nats hair of getting it. I had to sell one of my uppers to get it  But I do wish I had gotten higher magnification though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Yea I know what you mean. When I ordered the Leupold I had sticker shock for about a month and I know guys here have spent a lot more than that on their scopes. But Nikon make a absolutely fantastic scope. So you did not go wrong there. I looked at the exact same scope before I bought mine and came within a nats hair of getting it. I had to sell one of my uppers to get it  But I do wish I had gotten higher magnification though.

Shit, I nearly pulled the trigger on the 3-12x but decided to finish my build using the price difference.  And I already liquidated my other upper to build this thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:26:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SVTJimmy] [#35]

Ok I didn't read through the whole thread, so I didn't know if this was metioned. But OMFG they pay $90 for the freaking charging handle that we as civilians can buy for $84.  But they only pay $61.38 for the bolt assembly? The bolt is like 1/2 price of what we pay, as civilians
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought my Leupold 2.5-8x32 MR/T w/ Illuminated TMR reticle for $950 brand new. Gotta love military discounts
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#37]
that's agreat price. I gave 850.00 for mine on sale. Though its not the illuminated model
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#38]

fwiw I went 4.5-14x50 Mark4 and I would definitely prefer something with 10x max. Its to much scope.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:
I bought my Leupold 2.5-8x32 MR/T w/ Illuminated TMR reticle for $950 brand new. Gotta love military discounts

I did the same thing, the price difference between a 10x and what I got what so small that I couldn't resist.

How long ago did you pick up your mr/t, and did you go through promotive?
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pwr2al4:

fwiw I went 4.5-14x50 Mark4 and I would definitely prefer something with 10x max. Its to much scope.

How far have you shot it out to?
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By pwr2al4:

I did the same thing, the price difference between a 10x and what I got what so small that I couldn't resist.

How long ago did you pick up your mr/t, and did you go through promotive?

I got mine from Mike at CS Tactical towards the end of 2009. Lately I've been trying to get approved on promotive, but they keep denying me despite my military ID card. I don't have a .mil address, so I can't get instantly approved (I'm not special or POG enough for a .mil address )
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Here is my work in progress... still need a few things, and I will not sure that this is the stock I will keep on this in the end...

Obviously it is not a "clone", but is inspired by the Mk12...

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jdhill:
Here is my work in progress... still need a few things, and I will not sure that this is the stock I will keep on this in the end...

http://web.mac.com/jd_hill/iWeb/Site/WOH_files/SPR_in_progress.jpg

Looks like it will be a nice rifle.  It really fits better in this thread though.  I do see the faint resemblance to a Mk12.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:

Originally Posted By jdhill:

http://web.mac.com/jd_hill/iWeb/Site/WOH_files/SPR_in_progress.jpg

Looks like it will be a nice rifle.  It really fits better in this thread though.  I do see the faint resemblance to a Mk12.
As I said it is a work in progress and not a clone, just inspired by... When all is said and done it will be a close resemblance to a Mod0, without any ARMS crap (PRI rail and rear BUIS which are better anyway IMO)... it will likely have the Ops Inc break and collar (maybe a SF MB556), and the stock will probably be a SOPMOD or ACS (the CTR in the pic is off my OBR to try out and so it wasn't just a bare tube for the pic)... Rings will be LT-123's or a -104 (depending on glass)... have not decided on the glass yet (will largely depend on how much $$$ I can divert to it)... the resemblance will be more than faint.

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 5:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firemedic2000] [#45]
Well crap I was going to replace my PEPR mount and my ACC 51T with a OPS break/collar and a swan 22H rings on my MOD1 build. I got the rings and was thinking. Heck my rifle is so accurate right now do I really want to screw with it. The PEPR scope mount is rock solid and I know it's not a PC looking rifle with the mount and ACC FH but I don't want to screw with it the way it is shooting right now. I am looking at buying a Savage 110 HS 308 24 5R THRD BL or FN SPR A2's with a A4 McMillan stock in 308 and I could probably use the 22H swan rings on which ever one I get. To many damn decisions  
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#46]

im working on a mod1. just ordered the KAC rail...

I just posted a brand new one in the EE.  IM me if you want the link to the ad.

Link Posted: 3/31/2011 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Cavalry99:

im working on a mod1. just ordered the KAC rail...

I just posted a brand new one in the EE.  IM me if you want the link to the ad.

Cav, just saw it; I've had mine for a year or so but I doubt you'll have much trouble selling yours.  On another note, my glass gets here today!
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Getting closer.  Will change the BUIS's to KAC's, but I don't think I can change the optics.

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#49]

How far have you shot it out to?

Not very far, got to push out to 300 yards just once. To be honest, short of mounting something up on a .50 or some other large and very flat shooting cartridge, I don't really understand why the urge for higher power optics became popular all of a sudden. Although I absolutely love the hell out of this gun, there were certain trade offs made to end up with the final design, albeit its a freaking hell of a design, it still pushes an intermediate cartridge through a semi auto setup w/ 18 inch barrel. This is certainly a DM and not a sniper category rifle.

And then even when you do look at the classic no compromise .mil sniper packages, the m40 uses either an Unertl 10x fixed mag or a S&B  3-12 I think, I'm not really sure. Same goes for the M24, a Leupy also 10x, unless you start building that long action into something with a little more bang than m118LR like .338 or .300 win mag where like I said I can understand the desire for more scope. The M110 employs a similar 10x optic from what I undestand as well.

All that happens to me when I turn the optic all the way up, which I have to do now when I wnat to work on unknown distances for ranging, is i end up 'chasing the bull' and my shots are all over the place.

I think part of my problem isnt so much the optic its the fact that its a x50mm objective which is farking large, even though it sits nice and cozy right down low on the larue mount, that along with the larger tube just makes the whole scope downright bulky, im sure the illumination plays a part in that as well.  And to be honest, I see literally zero difference between this and my Zeiss mil dot on my bolt gun, short of the illumination feature of course, like zero, zilch difference in any light condition, and that has the thinner tube smaller objective etc.etc.

Then again trust me when I tell you that I have no doubt that I have at most 1/50th the shooting knowledge or ability that most of you guys have when it comes to this stuff. This build was a dream for me and its a system that is really way above my pay grade and will be for some time, which is one of the reasons i absolutely love it.

How long ago did you pick up your mr/t, and did you go through promotive?[/quote]

I got mine from Mike at CS Tactical towards the end of 2009. Lately I've been trying to get approved on promotive, but they keep denying me despite my military ID card. I don't have a .mil address, so I can't get instantly approved (I'm not special or POG enough for a .mil address )[/quote]

that blows, I guess i just got lucky cuase im short bus special compared to most of you guys who are having trouble getting verified. so that really sucks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 10:03:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KJO] [#50]
I realize this is a little off topic but, since we are discussing scope mag, I thought I'd toss out some thoughts I've been considering for some time....

FWIW –– my spin on the increased mag in scope usage goes right along with the increased discussion of "how small a group does your rifle shoot?"  I think it reflects a move from a "hunting" evaluation of a system to a "benchrest" evaluation of a system.  Not that we haven't learned some good stuff from the benchrest community but some of their "anal" requirements/expectations are way beyond what is needed in a fine hunting rifle.  Additionally, some of this talk is fostered for the sake of industrial/personal competition –– ie, "mine is bigger than yours" kind of talk.  If less than MOA performance is good then 0.5MOA is better and 0.25MOA is more better (sic)......... buy mine, buy mine.....!!!  Direct impingement ..... piston ..... ; buy mine.... buy mine!  Blah, blah, blah......

I think a good hunting scope has ADEQUATE magnification with very good field of view.  Re MOA accuracy –– I don't shoot groups on the deer I harvest and I'm guessing the avg mil sniper does not shoot groups on his targets.  Rather, we both want a reliable and EFFECTIVELY accurate rifle to accomplish our "mission".

I took our newly built MK13 300 win-mag rifle out to SD this summer to run at some distance –– received it just assembled from Alan and packed it in its case for the trip –– thought I'd placed its scope (NF 5.5-22...) in with other items.  Well, I'm old –– unpacked the rifle and the rest of the "stuff" we'd brought with for a week of prairie dog shooting and NO scope!  Darn!  Alan had an extra Leupold 10x that he lets me place on the rifle for eval –– we shot it out to 1470yds and I hit steel with the 10x just fine......

I'm just saying that I think we need to remind ourselves, from time to time, about what it is we are really using our rifles for and what was important in their design –– design always involves trade-offs of some sort.

Thanks for letting me get that off of my chest and mods if you do not think this is appropriate in this thread feel free to delete it (like I needed to tell you that !  ;-) )

These are, of course, just one person's thoughts and YMMV!

Best,

Kevin

Page / 1194
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top