Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChairborneOperator:
https://imgur.com/h2wbPle

Mod 1 n SHEIT
View Quote
Link broken.  Looks good though.

Link Posted: 3/26/2018 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks mate. Not sure why the fuck the link isn't working.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Vari-X III in the EE if anyone is looking, decent price.  Not mine, just letting folks know.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:
Vari-X III in the EE if anyone is looking, decent price.  Not mine, just letting folks know.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Tyler315:
I concur, I didn't think that the difference would be as noticeable as it was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tyler315:
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Took the MK12 family to the range today to dial in the scopes, etc - it was a good day.  Well, it started off bad, I also took my RPR 6.5C that I just put a Timney trigger in and was looking forward to trying it out, but left all my 6.5C ammo and mags on the workbench doh!.  Oh well, it let me concentrate on the MK12's I'll just say :).  The Holland is good to go, scary accurate Bison barrel right "out of the box" so to speak.  Same for the WOA barrel in the Mod 0 - it was lightly used but also shoots great.  Still waiting on the collar so mostly shot the Mod 0 sans-suppressor, but did throw it on the stock collar (3.5 turns) for a few shots just to see how it grouped/shifted.  This is the one that needs paint so still deciding - might go green, might do something pale like the one Chenault just posted above.

The Mod 1 I was getting worried about, groups have been opening up the past few trips - it's and older rifle but unknown actual round count, and was dreading if the Douglas barrel was getting shot out.  I took some MK262 today and the groups tightened right back up - so I guess it just didn't like that batch of 55gr - luckily it was the last of that case/batch.

Also the NF 3.5-15 is stunning, I tell you stunning compared to both the Leupolds.  It's like going from HD to 4K :).
I concur, I didn't think that the difference would be as noticeable as it was.
After a couple outings with mine, no regrets here either. None

Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
So were there any variations in slings and sling mounts in the wild that there’s photo evidence of? My Eagle Tas-1 came in today, and I only bought it to be clone correct. And I have to say, it’s a fairly miserable sling to use. Please tell me there’s other options lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LowplainsWindage:

https://i.imgur.com/MjtiwFjh.jpg
View Quote
That's 3.5-15x50?  I always have a hard time wrapping my head around how much rail space these take up.  I couldn't pass up my clearance-marked Leupold Mk4 for $900 last year, but man, I want a NF.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By daojag:

That's 3.5-15x50?  I always have a hard time wrapping my head around how much rail space these take up.  I couldn't pass up my clearance-marked Leupold Mk4 for $900 last year, but man, I want a NF.
View Quote
Yep. 3.5-15x50 F1.

Do it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If i ditch my mod 0 and glass, the big nf is going on the mod 1.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Helping spousal unit with a business project featuring more.....mk12

Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Found a Mk12 still out in the hills using a M16A1 lower.  Pics to follow later.

CD
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Does have a SSF trigger.

CD
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:36:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BurtSaun1049] [#14]
That is one salty gal! Thanks for the pics CD

*ETA: warms my heart to see one still in action
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have any ideas on the in-the-wild sling options for this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Awesome. How long had it been since you'd seen one before?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Awesome. How long had it been since you'd seen one before?
View Quote
About 4 yrs.

CD
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
View Quote
Just get a Vickers sling from BFG, they are really good.  Got them on all my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By prskiller:

Just get a Vickers sling from BFG, they are really good.  Got them on all my rifles.
View Quote
Yeah I already have one on my HD rifle. I was trying to be clone correct
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prskiller:

I'd put damn good money on a Vickers being ran on one. A large number of troops shit can the issued sling as soon as they deploy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Two posts above you is one with a VTAC.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
It's terrible IMO. It looks badass and is nice from a form factor standpoint but it will punish you for any sloppiness in being behind it.

I've had all 3. The x24, x32 and the x42. The x42 is on my recce and is phenomenal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Am i the only one with no interest in the x24?  2.4mm exit pupil just sounds like hell.
It's terrible IMO. It looks badass and is nice from a form factor standpoint but it will punish you for any sloppiness in being behind it.

I've had all 3. The x24, x32 and the x42. The x42 is on my recce and is phenomenal.
I couldn't disagree more. I had the x32 first then got an identical x24. Using them side by side the difference was a non issue for me. I feel like I get as sloppy as the scope will allow but maybe I'm just use to optics with unforgiving eye boxes (Elcan DR) . I'll gladly take the smaller package of the x24 given the choice. I've only looked at the x42 but for the size only 10x magnification and no parallax it seems to be going the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

I couldn't disagree more. I had the x32 first then got an identical x24. Using them side by side the difference was a non issue for me. I feel like I get as sloppy as the scope will allow but maybe I'm just use to optics with unforgiving eye boxes (Elcan DR) . I'll gladly take the smaller package of the x24 given the choice. I've only looked at the x42 but for the size only 10x magnification and no parallax it seems to be going the wrong direction.
View Quote
The x42 has parallax adjustment and digital illumination. The x32 is pretty much obsolete at this point as the x42 weighs only 1.5 oz more and is actually shorter in length. I really wish he x24 worked out for me as it is a cool piece of gear but I couldn't settle in the optics department for the sake of looking cool.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:41:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mrsaturn7085] [#24]
View Quote
As issued - Eagle TAS-1 UMSS (inc. KAC 97027 aka 98721)

It includes silencing extension straps and is a fine sling if you learn how to actually use it.  Most people just want something a little more simple and I can't fault them there.

So I've had a burning question that only a few people will really be able to answer... are Douglas 1:8 twist barrels correct for the clone or not?  Keep reading before you snap a reply up...

I totally understand that 1:7 twist is the accepted clone standard (and is what the Mod 0/1 operator's manual lists), but I've seen at least 2-3 unicorn sales that seem to indicate 1:8 was used as well (in the early SPR rifles).  Case in point:

Original Mk12 Mod 0 upper on EE

What I'm looking for is for one (or more) of the guys who own the PRI-sold SOF uppers to chime in with what they actually received from PRI.  I'm pretty sure with a you'd be able to read the barrel marking through one of the vent holes on the hand-guard with a flashlight and a little patience.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#25]
So cool to see these old uppers on those ancient lowers still in service. @Combat_Diver, can you tell us what outfit that sucker's still circulating in?

Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]

The x42 has parallax adjustment and digital illumination. The x32 is pretty much obsolete at this point as the x42 weighs only 1.5 oz more and is actually shorter in length. I really wish he x24 worked out for me as it is a cool piece of gear but I couldn't settle in the optics department for the sake of looking cool.
View Quote
I didn't remember the X42 having parallax adjustment, that makes it a little more useful. I'd say all the 2.5-10x NXS scopes along with the Leupold 2.5-8x and 3.5-10x are obsolete, the new 1-x variables like the two NF and the CQBSS made sure of that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

I didn't remember the X42 having parallax adjustment, that makes it a little more useful. I'd say all the 2.5-10x NXS scopes along with the Leupold 2.5-8x and 3.5-10x are obsolete, the new 1-x variables like the two NF and the CQBSS made sure of that.
View Quote
I’ll jump ship once a 1-10x42 comes out but I’m the meantime I’ll enjoy 4mm exit pupils.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Not that it matters too much....kinda does. I called leupold yesterday to inquire about the TS-30 or possible MK4 line being reintroduced or if they even have any they would still sell. I was told they’re contemplating releasing a small batch in the near future. Not word when though. I wouldn’t be surprised if I missed this a few pages back either.

I highly regret selling mine last year. (Entire proper MOD 1 upper with TS-30)
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mrsaturn7085:

It includes silencing extension straps and is a fine sling if you learn how to actually use it.  Most people just want something a little more simple and I can't fault them there.

So I've had a burning question that only a few people will really be able to answer... are Douglas 1:8 twist barrels correct for the clone or not?  Keep reading before you snap a reply up...

I totally understand that 1:7 twist is the accepted clone standard (and is what the Mod 0/1 operator's manual lists), but I've seen at least 2-3 unicorn sales that seem to indicate 1:8 was used as well (in the early SPR rifles).  Case in point:

What I'm looking for is for one (or more) of the guys who own the PRI-sold SOF uppers to chime in with what they actually received from PRI.  I'm pretty sure with a you'd be able to read the barrel marking through one of the vent holes on the hand-guard with a flashlight and a little patience.
View All Quotes

The question would be, was that upper from PRI themselves and an actual contract unit, or perhaps a Vince Jiga unit built with an actual Gen I handguard someone got their hands on? If it's the latter, there's a chance the barrel isn't a contract unit even though he was building contract uppers at various points.

I'm not sure how to go about looking at the issued upper, I don't have a borescope or anything and one might understand my apprehension regarding pulling the ARMS sleeve and handguard, as that requires basically disassembling the upper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
The question would be, was that upper from PRI themselves and an actual contract unit, or perhaps a Vince Jiga unit built with an actual Gen I handguard someone got their hands on? If it's the latter, there's a chance the barrel isn't a contract unit even though he was building contract uppers at various points.

I'm not sure how to go about looking at the issued upper, I don't have a borescope or anything and one might understand my apprehension regarding pulling the ARMS sleeve and handguard, as that requires basically disassembling the upper.
View All Quotes

Actually, you can tell that upper would have to be a Jiga or later upper, look at the vent holes and their distance from the side rail/top rail:

Compare to the issued SPR upper and Minuteman's oddball Gen I hybridy upper:
Gen I oddball vs Gen I Issued SPR upper by LanceCriminal86, on Flickr

And further compared with a Gen II handguard built upper, which I think ZakkAirborne now has:
PB18035801 by LanceCriminal86, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#31]

Actually, you can tell that upper would have to be a Jiga or later upper, look at the vent holes and their distance from the side rail/top rail:
http://i63.tinypic.com/eao7wz.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4343/36800717076_0889fa93b0_k.jpgGen I oddball vs Gen I Issued SPR upper by LanceCriminal86, on Flickr

And further compared with a Gen II handguard built upper, which I think ZakkAirborne now has:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/663/23145121751_4a0d96ef3f_k.jpgPB18035801 by LanceCriminal86, on Flickr
View Quote
@lancecriminal86

I understand what you're saying about the spacing however I almost had the upper in reference and exchanged emails with @Helojumper2001 about this upper and it was specifically from PRI and as I understood it, built during the contract time period. I would want Helojumper to confirm that I understood our email exchanges correctly however.

I also understand that the gen II handguards had 3 primary configurations. 3 button, 4 button and no button screw configurations as well as several being spaced differently (read drilled by hand) prior to settling on the mass produced (yet time period correct) handguards. All of which I'm sure you are completely aware of.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
@lancecriminal86

I understand what you're saying about the spacing however I almost had the upper in reference and exchanged emails with @Helojumper2001 about this upper and it was specifically from PRI and as I understood it, built during the contract time period. I would want Helojumper to confirm that I understood our email exchanges correctly however.

I also understand that the gen II handguards had 3 primary configurations. 3 button, 4 button and no button screw configurations as well as several being spaced differently (read drilled by hand) prior to settling on the mass produced (yet time period correct) handguards. All of which I'm sure you are completely aware of.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 5pt56:

http://i63.tinypic.com/eao7wz.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4343/36800717076_0889fa93b0_k.jpgGen I oddball vs Gen I Issued SPR upper by LanceCriminal86, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/663/23145121751_4a0d96ef3f_k.jpgPB18035801 by LanceCriminal86, on Flickr
@lancecriminal86

I think you're a bit confused.

There were PRI handguards used during the SPR prototype timeframe which looked quite different from what you see on the early SPR.

The kind on the issued SPR pictured above is what we commonly refer to as "Gen I". It's the Gen I that appeared in various configs, some with no visible button or set screws, some with 3 button heads, and some with 4. They have no heatshields, and no side rail mounting holes. They have one lower vent hole near the barrel nut. Their handguard collars are "stepped" and have a ribbed look about them.

The Gen II, as pictured in my post with the tan/brown camo, had an altered design. There was no lower vent hole near the barrel nut, the vent holes were further towards top/bottom than Gen I, there were side holes present for mounting additional rail sections, there were heatshields present, the length was different, and the handguard collar was flat with a hole in it.

There were a number of handguards made with some in-between features, where they retained the lower vent hole but also had Gen II features added like the side holes and the heat shields. The one linked in that sale appears to be one of those in-between patterns where the vent holes were Gen II style but it had no side rail holes. It seems related to that bare CF upper I posted however that one is again an odball, with an oversized handguard diameter. It looks like someone added the button head screws in the same fashion as the issued uppers had due to weakness issues and for some as a result of applying the KalGard tan coating which required baking (and likely affected the epoxy that holds the handguard threading into the CF tube".

I emailed with Helojumper long ago trying to suss out some of these odball Gen I/II hybrid rails.

The 80+ image gallery I keep of original, issued SPR rifles is consistent with what I posted above, and the green camo issued upper that I'm currently the caretaker of. Unless that listed upper was built with the intent of fulfilling a contract order sometime in 2001 or 2002 by which time SOCOM was already looking at the Mod 1 and PRI was redesigning their parts, then I don't think it's of the same provenance as the issued uppers. Is it possible a PRI employee or someone working the contract built it with some of the later parts as they were transitioning through Gen I to II to III somewhere in 2002-2003? That sounds likely. But by that time Mod 1s were coming online and it doesn't seem that those early pattern uppers were being ordered, rather the eventual Gen III ones were. I have a feeling by the time that upper was built they already knew they weren't going to need those parts for contract rifles, thus they let them be used for customer builds like those Vince Jiga built.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#33]

I think you're a bit confused.

There were PRI handguards used during the SPR prototype timeframe which looked quite different from what you see on the early SPR.

The kind on the issued SPR pictured above is what we commonly refer to as "Gen I". It's the Gen I that appeared in various configs, some with no visible button or set screws, some with 3 button heads, and some with 4. They have no heatshields, and no side rail mounting holes. They have one lower vent hole near the barrel nut. Their handguard collars are "stepped" and have a ribbed look about them.

The Gen II, as pictured in my post with the tan/brown camo, had an altered design. There was no lower vent hole near the barrel nut, the vent holes were further towards top/bottom than Gen I, there were side holes present for mounting additional rail sections, there were heatshields present, the length was different, and the handguard collar was flat with a hole in it.

There were a number of handguards made with some in-between features, where they retained the lower vent hole but also had Gen II features added like the side holes and the heat shields. The one linked in that sale appears to be one of those in-between patterns where the vent holes were Gen II style but it had no side rail holes. It seems related to that bare CF upper I posted however that one is again an odball, with an oversized handguard diameter. It looks like someone added the button head screws in the same fashion as the issued uppers had due to weakness issues and for some as a result of applying the KalGard tan coating which required baking (and likely affected the epoxy that holds the handguard threading into the CF tube".

I emailed with Helojumper long ago trying to suss out some of these odball Gen I/II hybrid rails.

The 80+ image gallery I keep of original, issued SPR rifles is consistent with what I posted above, and the green camo issued upper that I'm currently the caretaker of. Unless that listed upper was built with the intent of fulfilling a contract order sometime in 2001 or 2002 by which time SOCOM was already looking at the Mod 1 and PRI was redesigning their parts, then I don't think it's of the same provenance as the issued uppers. Is it possible a PRI employee or someone working the contract built it with some of the later parts as they were transitioning through Gen I to II to III somewhere in 2002-2003? That sounds likely. But by that time Mod 1s were coming online and it doesn't seem that those early pattern uppers were being ordered, rather the eventual Gen III ones were. I have a feeling by the time that upper was built they already knew they weren't going to need those parts for contract rifles, thus they let them be used for customer builds like those Vince Jiga built.
View Quote
Lol, not the first time I've been confused and certainly not the last!!

Thanks for all the additional details and information! What you're saying clicked and makes a lot of sense. After reading again and going through the emails I was referring to I'm fairly certain you are correct. Thanks again for the added clarity.

So back to the original question... 1/8 twist barrels? Lol.

Anyone want to do a manual check the old fashion rod and rag and get a twist count?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By LowplainsWindage:

View Quote
Beautiful! PFFFFFFT!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#35]

So cool to see these old uppers on those ancient lowers still in service. @Combat_Diver, can you tell us what outfit that sucker's still circulating in?

Thanks for posting!
View Quote
Can only say that it an active duty SF group.

CD
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
As others have guessed VTac sling.  I've go another picture and higher res of those pictures.  Will posted them in another day or two.

CD
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
As others have guessed VTac sling.  I've go another picture and higher res of those pictures.  Will posted them in another day or two.

CD
View All Quotes

CD
Any reason in particular they're still running a Mk12? Is it doing something a Block II with glass isn't? At this point the "why" and stories behind it is more interesting than the "what".
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#38]

CD
View All Quotes

Thanks for posting!

CD
Roger that; I figured as much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey guys, quick question. There are two versions of the PRI 8.5” rail, right? Which is “correct” for the Mod H 6 o’clock rail?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
Hey guys, quick question. There are two versions of the PRI 8.5" rail, right? Which is "correct" for the Mod H 6 o'clock rail?

Thanks all.
View Quote
You're referring to lug vs no lug?  No lug is correct for bottom rail - lugged version is for top rail to anchor sleeve's to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#41]
You're referring to lug vs no lug?  No lug is correct for bottom rail - lugged version is for top rail to anchor sleeve's to.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
Hey guys, quick question. There are two versions of the PRI 8.5" rail, right? Which is "correct" for the Mod H 6 o'clock rail?

Thanks all.
Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#42]

CD
View All Quotes

Thanks for posting!

CD
Tell him I'll trade him a brand-new, unfired Mod1 for his upper and non lever stop #22s.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

Tell him I'll trade him a brand-new, unfired Mod1 for his upper and non lever stop #22s.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote
I keep tell'n y'all those #22s are trash.

Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone have teardrop FAs in stock?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Going big green this time around... a bit dark but should lighten up a bit as it dries I suspect.  JBWeld'd Ambi markings worked out well too.

Aervoe Field Drab and Marine Corp Green.  I'm also getting lazy, I used to tape up the trigger and sights/posts bit but this time just covered scope makings basically and spray'd away.

Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#46]

https://i.imgur.com/KljMmOL.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stoner63a:

Tell him I'll trade him a brand-new, unfired Mod1 for his upper and non lever stop #22s.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

https://i.imgur.com/KljMmOL.jpg
Bro

Your rings on the mk6

The
Fuck
?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Does anyone have teardrop FAs in stock?
View Quote
Numrich
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#48]

Bro

Your rings on the mk6

The
Fuck
?
View Quote
Both sides are like that, I dunno. 34mm KAC mount, beats me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Going big green this time around... a bit dark but should lighten up a bit as it dries I suspect.  JBWeld'd Ambi markings worked out well too.

Aervoe Field Drab and Marine Corp Green.  I'm also getting lazy, I used to tape up the trigger and sights/posts bit but this time just covered scope makings basically and spray'd away.
View Quote
Very nice! I like it!

Brad
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
I just noticed last week my #22's had some rock in them. It was in the dovetail where the ring meets the base. I was thinking WTF? I don't remember them moving like that at all. Ended up epoxying them in. No more jiggy jiggy!

Brad
Page / 1194
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top