Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2024 11:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strela]
Familiar with PA, Swampfox, Burris, etc.

What about Riton, Atibal, etc as far as decent low-price optics?

For use on plinker-type rifles. no door kicking or CQB.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NvrBrdWes:
Most cheap optics are coming out of the same factory in china. I'd just go for Holosun if thats your goal.
View Quote

No, I'd just like information on the ones I mentioned. As far as I know Holosun doesn't make magnified optics.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Strela:

No, I'd just like information on the ones I mentioned. As far as I know Holosun doesn't make magnified optics.
View Quote
you didn't say anything about magnified optics...
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
ARKEN OPTICS

No personal experience but a few guys at work are raving about their recent purchases. We'll see what the verdict is after deer season here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Athlon = china
But the one I bought from eurooptic has very
nice glass for the money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
You are really aren't buying a better optic in the generic Chinese optic range.  They are produced in the factory, by the same people, from the same range of parts.  You are buying quality control, warranty service balanced against a company's bottom line.

People buy their Chinesium from Vortex, PA, Swampfox, etc. because that balance is acceptable to them and their volume is such that they determine what value to place on the these other aspects.  

Want to buy from one of the others?  You probably don't have much to gain, but it's only $300 gamble.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushnell from Natchez Sports.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Arken and Athlon have been ok for me.

The Athlon Helos 2-12 specifically has punched above it's price point.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
ARKEN OPTICS

No personal experience but a few guys at work are raving about their recent purchases. We'll see what the verdict is after deer season here.
View Quote
I recently got an Arken EP-8 to give a FFP 1-8 a try. Surprisingly decent all around. It's pretty crazy how far magnified China optics have come in the last decade. High end optics are undoubtedly better, but most $300-$400 LPVO's and scopes are pretty decent these days. I have had a Viper PST GII 1-6, Delta Stryker 1-6, Steiner P4Xi, as we as a handful or Primary Arms, Swampfox, and Burris, etc. Most have been LPVO's, but I did have a 4-16x Swampfox Patriot, and an older Primary Arms 4-16X. The Swampfox was actually pretty nice. Very clear and awesome Christmas tree reticle. I was missing it when trying to shoot small groups yesterday with the EP-8, but that ultimately isn't the point of the rifle it is on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Arken, Athlon, PA, and Vortex are what I’d recommend for Chy-na stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple of Arken SH4 scopes and use them out to 1k yards pretty regular.  Very satisfied with them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
I have a couple of Arken SH4 scopes and use them out to 1k yards pretty regular.  Very satisfied with them.
View Quote

Athlon is the best bang for the buck in glass, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I also didn't specify RDS/Prism either.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

you dismissed the first poster's holosun suggestion because you "just wanted information on the ones you mentioned" and " they don't make magnified optics".

But the "ones you mentioned" were "Riton, Atibal, etc" ... it seems to me that Holosun fits nicely into "etc" since you didn't actually mention "magnified" optics in your original post of what you were looking for.

Be specific or don't get snarky when people don't read your mind.

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GetToTheGone] [#15]
I've had Riton, PA, Holosun, Sig, Swampfox and a few others. Ive really liked Riton and their customer service/veteran owned company is great. I wish they'd have gone to the next tier like PA and gotten new non-chinese crap designs but I hope they can grow to that level.

Burris makes good high end scopes but their red dots suck.  

For less than $200 I really only get Sigs or Swampfox now. Holosun has started to creep to 3,4,500.

The Swampfox Kraken is great and the Liberty/Justice II I put above the Vortex stuff.

If you mean magnified scopes I've had Athlon, Sig, Vortex and Swampfox. I recently got a Warhorse FFP and a Tomahawk from Swampfox. I like the Warhorse more than my Sig Tango MSR FFP.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I recently picked up a Viikos 1-5x LPVO (About $100) for a Lee Enfield scope mount.

The reason is because I liked the aesthetics of the old Enfield No 4 sniper, but wanted a more modern scope (ideally variable power with a BDC reticle).  None of the known-brand LPVOs had a long enough eye relief for the profile I was after, they all sit way back over the thumb and it just didn't look right.  This one has an intermediate eye relief and sits forward enough to give it that classic profile.

Not for life safety and the whole thing is reversible so I can put the enfield back into original condition, so it's just a fun project. It survived at least one session at the range, and the only real world use it might ever see is a deer hunt; so far so good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The arken sh4j and ep5 have Japanese ed glass so as far a china optics they are the top of the food chain.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve got a bit of trigger time behind a 1-8 Atibal. It was 5 years ago though. At the time it was on par with the same terrible glass PA and Vortex had back then. They may have upgraded the glass quality since then as PA and Vortex did so take that with a grain of salt.

What didn’t change is they still have the awful diamond reticle in a few of their products. I’d strongly advise avoiding it as it’s one of the worst reticles I’ve ever gotten behind.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]

you dismissed the first poster's holosun suggestion because you "just wanted information on the ones you mentioned" and " they don't make magnified optics".

But the "ones you mentioned" were "Riton, Atibal, etc" ... it seems to me that Holosun fits nicely into "etc" since you didn't actually mention "magnified" optics in your original post of what you were looking for.

View All Quotes

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your or anyone else's feelings. I will make sure I am more specific and less "snarky" in the future.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Familiar with PA, Swampfox, Burris, etc.

What about Riton, Atibal, etc as far as decent low-price optics?

For use on plinker-type rifles. no door kicking or CQB.
View Quote

The Atibal 1-4 Striiker is (was?) a Japanese sourced optic at an acceptable price point.

If you're good with it's magnification range, so-so illumination, and an unconventional reticle (it's loaded in Strelok, though), it might be decent choice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your or anyone else's feelings. I will make sure I am more specific and less "snarky" in the future.
View Quote
dude, instead of being a dick why don't you just focus on the responses people are giving you? So far you've only been responding emotionally in this thread and ignoring all the actual discussion you were asking for.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 3:00:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#22]
Athlon Helos 2-12 is a solid budget optic for ringing steel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Look at Arken. I have an EP5, SH4, and an ep8. I started with one and was so impressed I ended up with 3. The EP8 surprised me with the image quality, and I wasn't expecting decent turrets under the caps when I ordered it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#24]
dude, instead of being a dick why don't you just focus on the responses people are giving you? So far you've only been responding emotionally in this thread and ignoring all the actual discussion you were asking for.
View All Quotes

Reacting emotionally? That was your first response. I didn't hear any suggestions from you.

Meanwhile, I have been reading all the suggestions and googling many of those suggested options. There have been some interesting choice. And I have changed the title of my thread to be more appropriate. I haven't "ignored" any worthwhile information, but I have responded to your apparent butthurt over my wording.

To avoid making this more GD than it needs to be, this will be my last response to you.

To those who have actually given me some solid information, must appreciated. The Arken and Athlon offerings were really off my radar.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been looking at athlons too, prolly what I will get.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Reacting emotionally? That was your first response. I didn't hear any suggestions from you.

Meanwhile, I have been reading all the suggestions and googling many of those suggested options. There have been some interesting choice. And I have changed the title of my thread to be more appropriate. I haven't "ignored" any worthwhile information, but I have responded to your apparent butthurt over my wording.

To avoid making this more GD than it needs to be, this will be my last response to you.

To those who have actually given me some solid information, must appreciated. The Arken and Athlon offerings were really off my radar.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2024 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a couple Riton Red Dots, I know it's not the scope reference your looking for, but they've been solid performers for me, if their scopes are of the same quality/price point, I'd say they're GTG.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Might want to add Tract to your considerations list. They have a 2.5-10x42 that's inexpensive enough to tempt me (couple that with the 15% MIL/LEO discount they offer, makes it more so).
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 11:46:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#29]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
I've been looking at athlons too, prolly what I will get.
View Quote

I have two and both are quality optics. The only gripe I have is the reticles are a little too bold and thick. Not a big issue, the the Mil versions usually have a finer dot than the thick MOA crosshairs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I know it may be difficult (impossible?) to make statements about "averages" when referring to budget scopes, but as far as LPVOs go at low power level, do the upper levels (4 vs 6 vs 8) have real, noticeable differences in overall image quality?

I ask because realistically these days I probably won't shoot at more than 300 yards. I know that "more is better" in America, but I'd hate to get a higher mag that I may not use at the expense of overall image clarity.

I've noticed that many of the scopes recommended so far are pretty close to equal as far as eye relief and weight. I really don't care about a few ounces here or there.  Up till now my favorite scope has been an ancient Leupold 1.5x4 green "Firedot."
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:40:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJR576] [#31]
I recently picked up a Bushnell 2-16x Forge from Natchez for $370 and I'm impressed...it's a lot of scope for the money...

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-forge-rifle-scope-2-16x50mm-34mm-sfp-g4i-ultra-illume-black?srsltid=AfmBOoqJUgQx_xzCNcmanSMr-G4zB-DLp1o9I7x2Xu3wxMVOPZ9WNTFn
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I know it may be difficult (impossible?) to make statements about "averages" when referring to budget scopes, but as far as LPVOs go at low power level, do the upper levels (4 vs 6 vs 8) have real, noticeable differences in overall image quality?

I ask because realistically these days I probably won't shoot at more than 300 yards. I know that "more is better" in America, but I'd hate to get a higher mag that I may not use at the expense of overall image clarity.

I've noticed that many of the scopes recommended so far are pretty close to equal as far as eye relief and weight. I really don't care about a few ounces here or there.  Up till now my favorite scope has been an ancient Leupold 1.5x4 green "Firedot."
View Quote

You have to make some compromises to produce an LPVO, much less a modestly priced LPVO.  You have to cut cost somewhere.  The budget 1-8 and now 1-10 are typically either going to cut corners, cost more or both.  The 1-4 and 1-6 are typically more balanced.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#33]
The Arken EP8 has Japanese glass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got a Bushnell that came with a rifle I bought, been a great scope, no issues.

Bought a Burris new for another rifle, really impressed with the quality and it was just over 200 bucks, I use that on my .308.

Bought a Cabela's brand scope years ago here on the EE for like 30 bucks, was amazed at the quality of the glass, but later on read that their house brand was being made for them by Nikon, so that kinda explains it. Don't know if they still do or not, but if you can find a used older model for cheap they are worth it.

Bought several scopes off the EE and been happy with them, I think people underestimate what a resource it can be, whenever i'm in the market for a particular product I always hit the EE first.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 7:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#35]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
I've got a Bushnell that came with a rifle I bought, been a great scope, no issues.

Bought a Burris new for another rifle, really impressed with the quality and it was just over 200 bucks, I use that on my .308.

Bought a Cabela's brand scope years ago here on the EE for like 30 bucks, was amazed at the quality of the glass, but later on read that their house brand was being made for them by Nikon, so that kinda explains it. Don't know if they still do or not, but if you can find a used older model for cheap they are worth it.

Bought several scopes off the EE and been happy with them, I think people underestimate what a resource it can be, whenever i'm in the market for a particular product I always hit the EE first.
View Quote

Bushnell can produce a good scope. They came out with a really nice 1-6 that was made in Japan and just amazing. Once of the best LPVOs on the market. I think it was the elite something
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#36]
15 years ago I bought two Bushnell Elite series scopes.  Both were fixed 10x.  One had mil dot/ mil adjustments, and the other had mil dot/moa (1/4") adjustments.  In retrospect I wish I could've source both with mil/mil adjustments.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#37]
The previously mentioned Athlon Helos gen2 2-12x performed well at Heartland this week.

No rifle penalties.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I preordered the Atibal 1-8 fiber for $200.

Will report back when received.
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
I preordered the Atibal 1-8 fiber for $200.

Will report back when received.
View Quote

Cool. That's another one I have been looking at.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top