AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Husky629:

I am interested to about the potential parallax improvement per PA.  I am looking to upgrade from my Romeo5 on my 10.5" SBR due to my astigmatism and parallax with less than perfect head position.  I assume the 1X SLX isn't MRO bad, but I have never seen it quantified.  My 2X GLX has been great in that regard.

@tortilla-flats
I would value your observations on parallax of the 1X SLX and 1X GLX.
View Quote

I don't have the GLx anymore to compare.
That's probably best left to the YouTube reviewers anyway.

Link Posted: 9/17/2024 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
...or Molon.  Thank you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Around 16:10 he compares the parallax of the slx 1x to an aim point and 8t.  He found the slx had just as little as the red dots so I think you’re safe with the slx.  At least based off this one test

Best Combat Optic- Holo vs. Red Dot vs. Prism | Tactical Rifleman
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sticman77:
Around 16:10 he compares the parallax of the slx 1x to an aim point and 8t.  He found the slx had just as little as the red dots so I think you’re safe with the slx.  At least based off this one test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVV-M_kTBtk
View Quote

Thank you for the link!  The 1X SLX compared favorably to the EOTech and Romeo 8T, but 4" extreme spreads at 50 meters does make it hard to draw conclusions.  Thanks again for posting the video.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got mine in today.  I am shocked what a downgrade this thing is.  It is significantly worse than my SLX due to it being *less* 1x than the SLX.  Causes image shift and even double vision if you shoot with both eyes open. Too bad as it looks great (like a mini sro.....) and i love the buttons.  

Needless to say I will not be keeping mine.  If you didn't tell me I would think the SLX was the upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ShoulderThingGoesUp:
I just got mine in today.  I am shocked what a downgrade this thing is.  It is significantly worse than my SLX due to it being *less* 1x than the SLX.  Causes image shift and even double vision if you shoot with both eyes open. Too bad as it looks great (like a mini sro.....) and i love the buttons.  

Needless to say I will not be keeping mine.  If you didn't tell me I would think the SLX was the upgrade.
View Quote

Maybe a dud?
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Man I started this thread so many months ago and I was so stoked for this. Like had the money set aside for months. And the PA missed deadline after deadline. But that’s cool, because that means that it’s going to be awesome when it’s released, right? And then I see pretty much every reviewer saying either it’s not an upgrade from the SLX or that it’s actually worse in some ways.

It just seems like such a dropped ball from PA. We all wanted a mini ACOG with LED illumination, and we just got a heavier and larger version of the SLX. Bummer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 1:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

Maybe a dud?
View Quote

I don't think so, mainly because reviewers seem to be mentioning the same issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RRAR15:
Man I started this thread so many months ago and I was so stoked for this. Like had the money set aside for months. And the PA missed deadline after deadline. But that’s cool, because that means that it’s going to be awesome when it’s released, right? And then I see pretty much every reviewer saying either it’s not an upgrade from the SLX or that it’s actually worse in some ways.

It just seems like such a dropped ball from PA. We all wanted a mini ACOG with LED illumination, and we just got a heavier and larger version of the SLX. Bummer.
View Quote

I really doubt it, but maybe that's why it took so long to release. They tried and tried to get it right finally just said f'ing send it, will see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 12:05:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dcalloway] [#10]
I have been working with the GLX 1X for a few days. It is a very good optic with two problems:

The first is smokey-yellow tint to the glass. The glass quality does not affect function in 1X mode but it kills the image under a magnifier. I was expecting glass quality similar to the GLX 2X.

The second is image shift. After trying different mount heights, it appears that the image will shift according to elevation or windage adjustments. Any adjustments from the optic’s mechanical center moves the image. If your rifle shoots straight, with minimal windage adjustment, no problem in shift left-to-right. Mounted on a riser of any height shifts the image upwards drastically to obtain zero. Prism optics work this way and the problem largely goes unnoticed masked by magnification.

I do believe that with more time and practice my eyes can adjust. And while maybe not a fair comparison, the GLX 1X outperforms the Aimpoint T2 in all areas except weight and night vision.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RRAR15:

View Quote

That's too bad as I did like the form factor improvements with regard to battery placement and rheostat elimination, and would (still) like to see the 3x get similar improvements, though sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone if something is already good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been watching reviews and reading comments from people who now own them. I’m bummed. It was exactly what I wanted. That big old knob on the side gone and a bigger window. I wanted to put this one my A2 but it looks like I’m back to the GLx 2x. Maybe a Holosun AEMS how HS515GM.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: topgunpilot20] [#13]
Originally Posted By dcalloway:
. . . the GLX 1X outperforms the Aimpoint T2 in all areas except weight and night vision.
View Quote

So if the T2 doesn't have image shift (a problem I've also experienced with an SLX 1x prism), is lighter, and is better with NV, then how does the GLX outperform it?

Anyway, I played with the GLX 1x a little this week and liked the lower profile illumination buttons over the rheostat since the illumination isn't necessary most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mars87] [#14]
I bought a used one in the EE from tortilla. My first 1x and green reticle. I actually really like both. Has anyone paired this up with a magnifier yet? I know prisms and magnifiers can be a bit wonky so just wondering if anyone has found something that works.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

So if the T2 doesn't have image shift (a problem I've also experienced with an SLX 1x prism), is lighter, and is better with NV, then how does the GLX outperform it?

Anyway, I played with the GLX 1x a little this week and liked the lower profile illumination buttons over the rheostat since the illumination isn't necessary most of the time.
View Quote

The T2 has slight magnification (1.1ish) and "fishbowls" the image so everything around the image circumference is distorted along with the blue tint. Aside from the image shift, perceived magnification can be dialed in and out on the GLX 1X.

The GLX 1X, for my eyes, outperforms the T2 with a larger lens/image for a more forgiving head placement and faster shots (parallax still needs to be tested). The etched reticle eliminates the need to fiddle with brightness adjustments when using a WML. If serious NV is not required, and a few more ounces are okay, the GLX 1X is a better optic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mars87:
I bought a used one in the EE from tortilla. My first 1x and green reticle. I actually really like both. Has anyone paired this up with a magnifier yet? I know prisms and magnifiers can be a bit wonky so just wondering if anyone has found something that works.
View Quote

I paired with a Sig Juliet 3 full size magnifier. I can leave the GLX diopter alone when using the magnifier. The image quality was pretty rough. Just too many lenses. It was usable, but ugly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#17]

The T2 has slight magnification (1.1ish) and "fishbowls" the image so everything around the image circumference is distorted along with the blue tint. Aside from the image shift, perceived magnification can be dialed in and out on the GLX 1X.

The GLX 1X, for my eyes, outperforms the T2 with a larger lens/image for a more forgiving head placement and faster shots (parallax still needs to be tested). The etched reticle eliminates the need to fiddle with brightness adjustments when using a WML. If serious NV is not required, and a few more ounces are okay, the GLX 1X is a better optic.
View Quote

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard those specific complaints about the T2.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I spent entire morning practicing with the GLX 1X with hopes of retraining my brain for the image shift. In softer environments such as tall grass and trees, it seems manageable. However, on a square range or around buildings with a lot of straight edges and horizontal lines it actually becomes nauseating. With the riser mount, the image jumps upward and becomes an undulating wave moving left to right.

If PA could calibrate the internals for a fixed mount height, assuming nominal windage and elevation adjustment by the end user, the image shift would be virtually eliminated and the optic would be perfect.

Guess this is why Trijicon never released a true x1.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I spent entire morning practicing with the GLX 1X with hopes of retraining my brain for the image shift. In softer environments such as tall grass and trees, it seems manageable. However, on a square range or around buildings with a lot of straight edges and horizontal lines it actually becomes nauseating. With the riser mount, the image jumps upward and becomes an undulating wave moving left to right.

If PA could calibrate the internals for a fixed mount height, assuming nominal windage and elevation adjustment by the end user, the image shift would be virtually eliminated and the optic would be perfect.

Guess this is why Trijicon never released a true x1.
View Quote

I wonder why neither of my slx's have image shift like this.  Smaller window maybe?  Using them side by side was jarring.

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#20]
The GLx curse continues

You know the one where only the PLx and SLx lines are worth buying most of the time? Some GLx options are alright, but by and large you should get bottom or top end at PA.

Would love to see PA come out with more microprisms but I doubt much interesting will happen until they're making PLx micros.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been considering getting the SLX prism until I heard abiut the GLX. I like bigger objectives. I have never used a prism scope before and only red dots. I looked through an SLX at a gun Show the other week and was impressed. Then I heard about the GLX so I have waited. Now from what I have read on this thread, it's making me second guess wanting to get the GLX. Is this the basic consensus, that it's not really worth the extra $$?
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ShoulderThingGoesUp:

I wonder why neither of my slx's have image shift like this.  Smaller window maybe?  Using them side by side was jarring.

View Quote

I didn’t notice any on mine until I put it on a 1.93 mount.  Waste enough to make me not wanna use it with that mount tho.  Been really happy with the SLX and straight up don’t like the layout of the new one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 9:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dcalloway] [#23]
Major bummer for me today as I decided to return my GLX 1X to Primary Arms. I spent a week with this optic trying to make it work but the image shift is just too much. I explained the problem in detail to PA and hopefully something will come of it. Again, if the prism and/or the etched reticle could be repositioned and calibrated for a specific riser height then any zeroing adjustments would have negligible effect on the image.

I feel a bit bamboozled by PA on this product because it really doesn't work as described. Out of the box, factory zero, it is truly amazing. Mount it up and go to the range to zero and it all goes to hell. This optic had the potential to become the absolute best general purpose 1x aiming solution. Offer a few more reticle choices and all of the factories in China wouldn't be enough.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top