BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2024 6:58:44 AM EDT
Was looking on the PA site yesterday, and noticed their GLX 2.5-10 is discontinued.  I've been very close to buying this scope a few times as it fits in that sweet spot for something reasonably light with FFP and a good ranging reticle.  Terrific choice for a scope under $1k for an AR15 with a focus on a bit longer range.  It has it's down sides too with a somewhat narrow FOV and some don't like their chevron based reticle.

Any word on if PA is replacing this with something updated?  I do hope they keep the form factor similar, with low weight and fix the things like the small'ish FOV.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
With the resurgence of MPVO, my guess is a plx and slx to better round out that segment. DLO might have the skinny or be able to get it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the same question.

They also discontinued their glx 4-16x but their glx 3-18x is almost 50% heavier iirc and has markedly poor reviews compared to the 4-16x.

When i asked in their industry forum they said they have new stuff coming out soon, which i assume would be their same answer to your question about the decidedly popular 2.5-10x.

This was their answer last month:

"We are working on some new products that will be in this range in the near future, stay tuned and sign up for our email blast for new products release updates!"
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s too bad.  It filled a sweet spot for magnification, weight, feature set, and decent glass.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 10:01:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
I had the same question.

They also discontinued their glx 4-16x but their glx 3-18x is almost 50% heavier iirc and has markedly poor reviews compared to the 4-16x.

When i asked in their industry forum they said they have new stuff coming out soon, which i assume would be their same answer to your question about the decidedly popular 2.5-10x.

"We are working on some new products that will be in this range in the near future, stay tuned and sign up for our email blast for new products release updates!"
View Quote

The 3-18 are actually 6-18 lens systems with a half power lens to get a pseudo-3X.  That’s why their exit pupils don’t hit the large openings a native 3X would achieve. Thus they are darker & heavier & possibly poorer field of view than the 4-16.

Unfortunately too many optics are made for easy specs marketing and bought by people who never shoot outside of bright light at a bench at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

The 3-18 are actually 6-18 lens systems with a half power lens to get a pseudo-3X.  That's why their exit pupils don't hit the large openings a native 3X would achieve. Thus they are darker & heavier & possibly poorer field of view than the 4-16.

Unfortunately too many optics are made for easy specs marketing and bought by people who never shoot outside of bright light at a bench at 100 yards.
View Quote
that explains a lot.

I guess we'll see what the next offering looks like.

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Blems/open box models are available at PA currently.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]

The 3-18 are actually 6-18 lens systems with a half power lens to get a pseudo-3X.  That’s why their exit pupils don’t hit the large openings a native 3X would achieve. Thus they are darker & heavier & possibly poorer field of view than the 4-16.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I had the same question.

I’ve got that 3-18 and it’s ok but doesn’t really blow my hair back. That actually explains a lot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 9:36:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gman556] [#8]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

I’ve got that 3-18 and it’s ok but doesn’t really blow my hair back. That actually explains a lot.
View All Quotes
I had the same question.

I remember a member here that used to work for them telling me that they did something similar when they came out with their SLX 1-8 where they just squeezed everything into their 1-6 SLX to get to 8x.

I tried one when they first came out before he told me this and it made sense because it was absolute muddy garbage to look through.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh I hope they come out with a 2-10 PLx, I've asked them on multiple occasions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Yikes, the whole GLx line has been a let down. Nice turrents on a subpar optical system.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:20:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Feuerhand] [#11]
Originally Posted By Trey-W:

Yikes, the whole GLx line has been a let down. Nice turrents on a subpar optical system.
View All Quotes

Not to mention the turrets are paired with a reticle that makes dialing for elevation pointless because you lose your windage stadia. I know PA has a hardon for chevrons but c'mon, did anyone actually shoot this scope at distance before they shipped them?

Originally Posted By HotelBravo:
Oh I hope they come out with a 2-10 PLx, I've asked them on multiple occasions.

That would be excellent.

ETA: formatting
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 8:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#12]
There's one on the EE.  That's where I got mine about 2 weeks ago.  

I'm sure what they're coming out with will be nice, but I wanted the GLx 2.5-10 for my 18 inch 5.56 "SPR" so that's what I got
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

The GLx 6-24 and 2.5-10 are decent glass and performance for the price. Four times (or less) zoom lens systems are usually just simpler. I don’t see most people buying these as dusk or dawn hunting scopes. At low magnification the exit pupil is generally large enough.  Old eyes tend to need better glass / light transmission.

PA mostly has been steadily improving. I’m optimistic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Specifically the GLx 2.5-10 is one of my favorite little scopes.  I think its optics and mag range work great together. Pretty light and the thing is durable.

The glx 3-18x and the lpvo were a disappointment though, prettty gross on the higher mag

I don’t know what those of you are complaining about the turrets,  I liked the design, simple to set zero stop etc, clicky enough, track fine. I dial elevation   Depending on what I’m doing.

I like the reticle, I can deal with the chevron but yeah it’s not preferred.

Hope they are doing a PLX 2-10 that’d be rad. If it was close to the same size and weight just premiumized, I’d buy 2
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I really wish PA didn’t insist on the chevron as the aiming point for everything they do. It’s small in the scheme of things but the chevron on a precision optic absolutely irks me. Their lineup would be so much nicer if they just had a floating center dot instead.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I totally agree and do not like Chevrons at all for my precision builds and wish Primary Arms would give dot only options for non-chevron variants.  Besides the chevron which I despise the scopes are a good value for the money imo.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#17]
A GLX scope with the same glass, same turrets, 2-10 or 2-12 magnification and getting rid of the stupid chevron reticle would be awesome.  

Seeing what happened with the POS that’s the 3-18, I don’t know.  Could be a great new optic or it could have a bunch of people longing for the 2.5-10.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#18]
What’s the consensus on the glx 4-16?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:
View Quote

I have one and I really like it. Outside the dumb chevron. Which in the scheme of things is small, but still dumb.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#20]

I have one and I really like it. Outside the dumb chevron. Which in the scheme of things is small, but still dumb.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Thanks for the info. I’m looking for a used scope to put on a Jesusmoor I recently picked up. That model glx is on my short list.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:41:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#21]
This is interesting. I wound up just getting an Athlon Helos BTR Gen II 2-12x42 a while back because the Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10 was never in stock. I actually liked the idea of the chevron on Primary Arm's Griffin reticle more and I know the Athlon is not considered to be quite in the same tier, but it's been wonderful for me so far and the extra magnification can't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#22]
Add me to the list if people who doesn’t think chevrons have a place in higher magnification optics. Hell I still like a really fine crosshair for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Alien:
This is interesting. I wound up just getting an Athlon Helos BTR Gen II 2-12x42 a while back because the Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10 was never in stock. I actually liked the idea of the chevron on Primary Arm's Griffin reticle more and I know the Athlon is not considered to be quite in the same tier, but it's been wonderful for me so far and the extra magnification can't hurt.
View Quote
The mil reticle Helos 2-12x hasn't been available for purchase anywhere either recently.

It seems like the only ~2-10x options anymore are the Credo without parallax adjustment and the heavy Vortex without locking turrets.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

I prefer my Helos over my PAs. It’s a great scope more than what the price would imply.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:47:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#25]
The mil reticle Helos 2-12x hasn't been available for purchase anywhere either recently.

It seems like the only ~2-10x options anymore are the Credo without parallax adjustment and the heavy Vortex without locking turrets.
View All Quotes

That really sucks. It is a hell of a scope for the money, and I'm very happy with mine. I bought my MIL model back in February from OpticsPlanet. The surprising thing was the scope I bought came with the sunshade and throw lever which I thought I had to buy separately (and did buy and had to return after I realized I already had them). Right now it's not in stock there either but shows availability within 14 days. If it's not in stock however, who knows when it will actually ship.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon-optics-helos-btr-gen2-2-12x42mm-riflescopes-w-ahmr2-ffp-ir-mil-reticle.html

I prefer my Helos over my PAs. It's a great scope more than what the price would imply.
Sounds like I made the right decision then.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#26]
That really sucks. It is a hell of a scope for the money, and I'm very happy with mine. I bought my MIL model back in February from OpticsPlanet. The surprising thing was the scope I bought came with the sunshade and throw lever which I thought I had to buy separately (and did buy and had to return after I realized I already had them). Right now it's not in stock there either but shows availability within 14 days. If it's not in stock however, who knows when it will actually ship.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon-optics-helos-btr-gen2-2-12x42mm-riflescopes-w-ahmr2-ffp-ir-mil-reticle.html

View Quote
Opticsplanet says the PA 2.5-10x, which we know is discontinued, will ship out by March 2025.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Helos 2-12x, but I was looking to pick one up recently and I mean they simply aren't available ANYWHERE (mil reticle). I mean, including ebay, and all of the random drop shippers or small shops online.

Oh well. Maybe PA's newer offerings replacing the 2.5-10x and 4-16x won't be as disappointing as their most recent lineup of 3-18x and 4.5-27x 34mm 30oz behemoths that don't even perform well. Fingers crossed.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#27]
If you can get past the reticle, the Steiner H6Xi is another 2-12x option
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Luny421:
If you can get past the reticle PRICE, the Steiner H6Xi is another 2-12x option
View Quote
fify

cough... yeah, at that price, you're talking about a whole different category of optic than a $400 Athlon or $600 PA.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Opticsplanet says the PA 2.5-10x, which we know is discontinued, will ship out by March 2025.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Helos 2-12x, but I was looking to pick one up recently and I mean they simply aren't available ANYWHERE (mil reticle). I mean, including ebay, and all of the random drop shippers or small shops online.

Oh well. Maybe PA's newer offerings replacing the 2.5-10x and 4-16x won't be as disappointing as their most recent lineup of 3-18x and 4.5-27x 34mm 30oz behemoths that don't even perform well. Fingers crossed.

View All Quotes

The Athlon Helos 2-12 MRAD has been available again in the last few days. I’ve received “back in stock” emails from four different places so far.

Midway and Cameralandny being two of them. I went ahead and ordered one the other day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#30]
Originally Posted By stater61:

The Athlon Helos 2-12 MRAD has been available again in the last few days. I’ve received “back in stock” emails from four different places so far.

Midway and Cameralandny being two of them. I went ahead and ordered one the other day.
View All Quotes

I just ordered another Helos MIL 2-12.  I have used a Helos on an 18” AR for a few years, and it  performed really well this summer out to 600 yards.  

I wanted to try the PA  Glx 2.5-10 as I’d heard the glass was an improvement and clarity at 600 yards was a minor issue with the Helos.  Ultimately I decided not to wait whatever years PA will take to replace this spot in their lineup.  oh well.

I don’t understand the business model of “we make a 2.5-10 they’d well regarded in the mid price range, so let’s stop making that”.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#31]

The Athlon Helos 2-12 MRAD has been available again in the last few days. I've received "back in stock" emails from four different places so far.

View Quote
ugh i just ordered a swampfox kentucky long 2-12x. I guess I'll have to get both and see which one I like best.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 4:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#32]
ugh i just ordered a swampfox kentucky long 2-12x. I guess I'll have to get both and see which one I like best.
View All Quotes

The Athlon Helos 2-12 MRAD has been available again in the last few days. I've received "back in stock" emails from four different places so far.

Cancel cancel cancel. I had considered that one too at the time (as it's supposed to be a good scope for the price point), but the Brass Facts comparison video and these other two specific videos convinced me the Athlon was the right choice in lieu of the Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10.

Best SPR Scopes For Under $1000

The Cheapest SPR Scope Worth A Damn | Athlon Helos 2-12x

Athlon Helos BTR II 2-12x42 AHMR2 FFP Reticle - New Mid-Budget Champ?

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

I have both. I like both. The Athlon, to me, edges out the KL in most ways but not by a lot in any way. They’re both great optics, it’s just that the Athlon is tough competition.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I liked the Helos gen2 2-12x enough to jump on an Ares ETR UHD 3-18x for a rimfire for my son.  Both scopes track great.  

The Helos getting ready for Heartland 4 (not sure yet if I'm using it or a PA 3x micro prism in an ADM mount):

Attachment Attached File

The Ares on a lefty Bergara B14r:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, this was timely as I am considering a scope for an SPR.  That Athlon looks interesting.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone ever truly had issues with the Credo 2-10’s lack of parallax adjustment or is that just a talking point people parrot around without trying it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ct78:
Has anyone ever truly had issues with the Credo 2-10’s lack of parallax adjustment or is that just a talking point people parrot around without trying it?
View Quote

I just sold mine because I could not keep MOA groups. In fact, the small groups were 2 to 3 moa. I've never shot that rifle so poorly.
I could not find middle ground between the reticle being clear and the target being clear.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BruceLeroy:

I just sold mine because I could not keep MOA groups. In fact, the small groups were 2 to 3 moa. I've never shot that rifle so poorly.
I could not find middle ground between the reticle being clear and the target being clear.
View Quote

That sounds like it was fixed at 30yds or 800yds. Even then, sight alignment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Cancel cancel cancel. I had considered that one too at the time (as it's supposed to be a good scope for the price point), but the Brass Facts comparison video and these other two specific videos convinced me the Athlon was the right choice in lieu of the Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyDZvxSZ5Cg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Os-bAHPn8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otglZ_HMOB4
View Quote
I don't follow your conclusion.

I watched all those videos before, and Brass Facts' conclusion in all of them is "the PA 2.5-10x is the best of the bunch for several reasons but also quite a bit more expensive, and if you're not getting the PA, the Swampfox and Athlon are both so close that you could basically pick between them based on which reticle you prefer."

C_DOES really liked the Swampfox in his review in all areas except the turret detents not aligning with the number of mils on the turret, which apparently swampfox has fixed sometime in the last 2 years.

So it seems like a decent optic based on those videos.

Brass Facts also shit all over the NX8 1-8x because it has an uncapped elevation turret and didn't like the reticle or 1x, and said it's not bad overall, but for $1800, he expects more. Ok well, the version I picked up used on the EE for $1200 has a capped elevation turret and the newer FC-DMx reticle which is great, so I guess if those are the only complaints, thats why I love it.

We'll see how I feel about the Swampfox.

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:13:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ct78] [#40]

View Quote

Wow that’s interesting to hear. I figured that one would be in the running as a good option especially if people prematurely cross it off the list just because of lack of adjustable parallax.

One other variable is, if you look at the drop testing done by Formidilosus on Rok, it seems like a shockingly high number of these budget SPR scopes lose zero just from 18” drops or riding around in a truck. Even Leupold’s supposedly failing this. It makes me feel a bit less confident in scope choices
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 2:06:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DvlDog] [#41]

View Quote

Yeah, I kiinda feel hoodwinked now. Thats what I get for trusting chicom optics. Very underwhelming scope and barely worth the discounted price I paid.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

It’s the whole ‘designed for quick engagement’ sales pitch. Personally I’d rather have the side parallax and not need it than need it and not have it. I have the 2-10 Credo, and when used in such a manner I agree it’s not of much use, but there are absolutely times I wish it had it.

To me it’s like how for years manufacturers insisted on dumb little dinky sights on smaller carry guns. ‘It’s not for that’ etc. Ok cool but like, it’s nice to have the option to aim my gun too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PortaJohnPicasso:
I liked the Helos gen2 2-12x enough to jump on an Ares ETR UHD 3-18x for a rimfire for my son.  Both scopes track great.  

The Helos getting ready for Heartland 4 (not sure yet if I'm using it or a PA 3x micro prism in an ADM mount):

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20240907_122946174_HDR_jpg-3317018.JPG

The Ares on a lefty Bergara B14r:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20240821_184646660_jpg-3317019.JPG
View Quote

I have two ETRs and also for them after the positive experience I had with the Helos. The 4.5-30 is a behemoth but both it and the 3-18 are VERY nice for what I paid and I’d compare them against considerably more expensive scopes.

The hidden gem for me was the 4-20 Helos. For $400 it’s hard to think of anything else in the category I’d rather own. I have two now on less ‘serious’ precision rifles and would happily buy another.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#44]

The hidden gem for me was the 4-20 Helos. For $400 it's hard to think of anything else in the category I'd rather own. I have two now on less 'serious' precision rifles and would happily buy another.
View Quote
I picked one of those up recently. I haven't mounted it yet, but it's a nice combination of factors - zoom range, size, weight, reticle, and glass quality. I would have loved it a little more in a 44mm objective though. It seems like everything has to be 50mm minimum these days if you bump the max zoom up past 15x or so. I get that the extra mm can be helpful in some scenarios, but to keep size and weight down, it would be nice to have the option for a 40/42/44mm version of some of these optics.

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 8:44:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#45]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

I haven't had any problems with my Credo.

At 100 I can maintain 1-1.5 MOA easily, but I shoot at KD 200-600 yards steel targets which also present no problem for me. Clarity of the 600 yards targets isn't great, but more than adequate (i can see my hits), in my experience.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:

Yeah, I kiinda feel hoodwinked now. Thats what I get for trusting chicom optics. Very underwhelming scope and barely worth the discounted price I paid.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DvlDog:

To be clear, some of the optics bring positively discussed are also made in China.  It’s how the optic was spec’ed by Primary Arms.  The factory manufactures to a specification.  How they chose to design the 3-18 wa NOT a surprise to PA.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#47]

It’s the whole ‘designed for quick engagement’ sales pitch. Personally I’d rather have the side parallax and not need it than need it and not have it. I have the 2-10 Credo, and when used in such a manner I agree it’s not of much use, but there are absolutely times I wish it had it.

To me it’s like how for years manufacturers insisted on dumb little dinky sights on smaller carry guns. ‘It’s not for that’ etc. Ok cool but like, it’s nice to have the option to aim my gun too.
View All Quotes

I completely agree.  I’d rather have parallax adjustment than not for shooting at distances 400+ yards.

I’m fine with no parallax adjustment on a LPVO.  But for a MPVO, I want it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#48]

The hidden gem for me was the 4-20 Helos. For $400 it’s hard to think of anything else in the category I’d rather own. I have two now on less ‘serious’ precision rifles and would happily buy another.
View Quote

Hmmm, that's good to know.  The 2-12
Helos shines for me as a hunting scope that can reach out if needed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's a sweet pic of my PA 2.5-10x. I'd probably have picked up a second one if they were still available instead of messing around with these 2-12x things.

14.5" ... mini DMR? Recce? I don't know.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's a sweet pic of my PA 2.5-10x. I'd probably have picked up a second one if they were still available instead of messing around with these 2-12x things.

14.5" ... mini DMR? Recce? I don't know.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435611/e31fed48-d2a4-4e5a-a366-1c4c3898f321_jpe-3317849.JPG
View Quote

I’m actually miffed I missed the boat on their 2.5-10’s. Whatever they come out with to replace it, I hope it’s good and I hope it’s out soon. It’s such a useful magnification range. I really appreciate that side focus that so much of its competition lacks. I love my Credo 2.5-10’s and they’re great but I’d be smitten if it had the side focus.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top