User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 220
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

Well fellas, the PRI is a no-go for my MRE. The metal just under the crossbolt holes comes into contact with the inside of the rail.

So I'm back to F-marked FSB for now.
View Quote

Bummer, reckon Duffy modified his MRE?

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:12:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#2]

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well fellas, the PRI is a no-go for my MRE. The metal just under the crossbolt holes comes into contact with the inside of the rail.

If you're talking about the one Augee posted, it had a DD M4 FSP instead of an MRE.
I was able to install it but it seems like the contact would negate the free-float benefits of the MRE.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twitchy] [#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Twitchy:
Put this together today.  We'll see how she shoots tomorrow.

And of course it's not finished.  It never will be.

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/spectreprecision/IMG_1671_zpsba7e5b49.jpg

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/spectreprecision/IMG_1674_zps0cbef8b4.jpg

View Quote

MMM.. That's nice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/spectreprecision/IMG_1671_zpsba7e5b49.jpg

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/spectreprecision/IMG_1674_zps0cbef8b4.jpg

View Quote

Love it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Oh my.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:34:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#7]
My third build......

PSA Upper Assembly
16" Barrel length FN Chrome moly vanadium barrel
13" SQR Free Float rail
PSA Full Auto NiBo Bolt carrier group
ARMS BUIS
Burris MTAC 1.5x6
Burris QD PEPR mount
Streamlight TLR 1

Spikes Tactic Forged Lower
CMMG LPK
ALG Combat Trigger
Ergo Grip
Milspec buffer tube
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Here you go, gents--

Mk12 Mod Holland sans Suppressor

Complete Upper Specs:
- Colt M4 Upper Receiver
- Colt Bolt Carrier
- Compass Lake Engineering Bolt
- CLE 16" Bead Blasted Stainless Steel Barrel Chambered to 5.56 Match
- CLE Gas Block & Midlength Gas Tube
- Allen Engineering AEMB Brake & Collar Combo
- PRI Gen III Freefloat RIfle-length Handguard
- PRI M84 GB Charging Handle
- ARMS #32 Bipod Adapter
- Harris S-BRM 6-9" Bipod
- KAC VFG
- Daniel Defense QD Swivel Mount
- BFG VCAS, Padded
- LT-104 34mm QD Scope Mount
- Leupold Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS (H27-D)

Complete Lower Specs:
- Noveske Gen I Lower
- Barnes Precision Machine LPK
- Mil-Spec Buffer Tube / H2 Buffer
- Magpul CTR Buttstock
- ERGO Suregrip
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Here you go, gents--

http://i62.tinypic.com/2zpnpxe.jpg

Complete Upper Specs:
- Colt M4 Upper Receiver
- Colt Bolt Carrier
- ARMS #32 Bipod Adapter
- KAC VFG
- BFG VCAS, Padded

Complete Lower Specs:
- Noveske Gen I Lower
- Magpul CTR Buttstock
- ERGO Suregrip
View Quote

Well done. Paint it and you've got a perfect score.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Here you go, gents--

http://i62.tinypic.com/2zpnpxe.jpg

Complete Upper Specs:
- Colt M4 Upper Receiver
- Colt Bolt Carrier
- ARMS #32 Bipod Adapter
- KAC VFG
- BFG VCAS, Padded

Complete Lower Specs:
- Noveske Gen I Lower
- Magpul CTR Buttstock
- ERGO Suregrip
View Quote

Absolutely awesome! Well played.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#11]
This thread gets gooder and gooder.  Lots of great recces in here.  

Looking forward to a range report twitchy. That thing is sweet.  I keep thinking I need to upgrade my stock to something different.  I'm almost to where I'm going to try a CTR MOE because it's not very expensive.  And I might still.  But there is something about the M4 stock I like.  Not sure why.  It's comfy when shouldering.  I don't like how you don't have much real estate to put your left hand underneath it if you're prone or on the bench though.  I don't know if the CTR makes it much better or not, but it looks like it might.  Plus my kids are starting to shoot more and a little bit of rubber might not be a bad thing.  Or buy one of those rubber butt pads.  

Nice, Jerry Lee Lewis. Goodness Gracious.  

And TannerB's builds always blow my mind.  How do you guys have the dough for Elcan Spectars?  Awesome.   eta: (oops, I think I'm mixing threads up with the M4 sopmod thread.  I think you have one on that carbine.  but I think this optic you have on that recce you posted is no small change either.  LOL.  )
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to take a gamble and say that was 50 yards.  Or no?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twitchy] [#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
This thread gets gooder and gooder.  Lots of great recces in here.  

Looking forward to a range report twitchy. That thing is sweet.  I keep thinking I need to upgrade my stock to something different.  I'm almost to where I'm going to try a CTR MOE because it's not very expensive.  And I might still.  But there is something about the M4 stock I like.  Not sure why.  It's comfy when shouldering.  I don't like how you don't have much real estate to put your left hand underneath it if you're prone or on the bench though.  I don't know if the CTR makes it much better or not, but it looks like it might.  Plus my kids are starting to shoot more and a little bit of rubber might not be a bad thing.  Or buy one of those rubber butt pads.  

And TannerB's builds always blow my mind.  How do you guys have the dough for Elcan Spectars?  Awesome.   eta: (oops, I think I'm mixing threads up with the M4 sopmod thread.  I think you have one on that carbine.  but I think this optic you have on that recce you posted is no small change either.  LOL.  )
View Quote

Thanks, I only have one and threw it on  the m4 for kicks, had it on this rifle for a bit but it found its home on my sbr.
20140907_185132_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:44:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#16]
I think that sight is the coolest, although I've never even laid a hand on one. But in theory it is to me.  The rds's just don't work that well for me

Twitchy,  I'm sort of crapping my pants.  That group on the right is something I would expect from a high end bolt gun or a heavy barreled ruger no.1.  You just went down in the history of my brain bucket as posting one of the best groups I have ever seen with an AR that doesn't have one of them huge ole 1" stainless barrels.  That group is like smaller than .5 moa.  And .132?  I didn't even think it was possible.

I'm always excited when I'm hovering int the neighborhood of moa.  Now I gotta go back and look at my targets to see if I ever got sub moa.  Anyways.... Color me impressed.  That is excellent shooting, from what I can tell.  Although I'm sure I have a lot to learn on the matter.  Were those handloads?

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
100 yards.  

I may be sensing some skepticism.  Not sure.  If I can dig up some old photos on SH, I participated in a few smack the smileys and a friendly "1 MOA All Day" challenge, similar to the one here on ARF.

This group was my SPR from a few years back.  It's blurry, but the group size is by each 1" diamond, along with "crap" for the crappy group when I knew I was pulling the shot.  I'm only putting this up to show I'm not some shotgun pattern shooter.

Smallest was #8 at .132".  Average overall was .547".
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/spectreprecision/IMG_2136_zps19c82d7a.jpg

View All Quotes
I'm going to take a gamble and say that was 50 yards.  Or no?
100 yards.  

I may be sensing some skepticism.  Not sure.  If I can dig up some old photos on SH, I participated in a few smack the smileys and a friendly "1 MOA All Day" challenge, similar to the one here on ARF.

This group was my SPR from a few years back.  It's blurry, but the group size is by each 1" diamond, along with "crap" for the crappy group when I knew I was pulling the shot.  I'm only putting this up to show I'm not some shotgun pattern shooter.

Smallest was #8 at .132".  Average overall was .547".
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/spectreprecision/IMG_2136_zps19c82d7a.jpg

That is truly some fine shooting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:54:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Perfect. Simple and effective. Personally I like the basic shadow camo better than the snakeskin or mesh camo you typically see on such builds. Nice stick!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Still needs a SF SOCOM brake and ATPIAL.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#23]
surefire brake is really great. i love it on my recce
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By joeygarnreiter:

http://i.imgur.com/Mpf5nrh.jpg
View Quote

I can dig this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Not wanting to be an ass-hat...how are people differentiating between a "recce-style" AR and a regular flat-top 16" carbine?  A lot of pics here with standard barrels, all sorts of lengths of gas systems.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#28]

I can dig this.
View All Quotes

I can dig this.

yeah, me too.  Is that paracord wrapped around the bottom of your stock?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Great_Balls_of_Fire] [#29]
This thread gets gooder and gooder. Lots of great recces in here.

Looking forward to a range report twitchy. That thing is sweet. I keep thinking I need to upgrade my stock to something different. I'm almost to where I'm going to try a CTR MOE because it's not very expensive. And I might still. But there is something about the M4 stock I like. Not sure why. It's comfy when shouldering. I don't like how you don't have much real estate to put your left hand underneath it if you're prone or on the bench though. I don't know if the CTR makes it much better or not, but it looks like it might. Plus my kids are starting to shoot more and a little bit of rubber might not be a bad thing. Or buy one of those rubber butt pads.

And TannerB's builds always blow my mind. How do you guys have the dough for Elcan Spectars? Awesome. eta: (oops, I think I'm mixing threads up with the M4 sopmod thread. I think you have one on that carbine. but I think this optic you have on that recce you posted is no small change either. LOL. )
View Quote

Thanks, man. Just save your money

Not wanting to be an ass-hat...how are people differentiating between a "recce-style" AR and a regular flat-top 16" carbine? A lot of pics here with standard barrels, all sorts of lengths of gas systems.
View Quote

I have not completely been through each page of this thread, but I believe this has been discussed by some of the more seasoned "Recce" followers as I am certainly not one of them. To me, the "recce" style rifle is a continuing concept that has never quite reached the variable stage. What I mean by this is there are really no concrete specifications on a recce-style rifle as you would find on say a Block II M4A1 and there are multiple examples of the recce concept seen across all branches of the military. Generally, it appears that the recce-style rifle follows these parameters:
- Precision Barrel not to exceed 16"
- Carbine or Midlength Gas System
- Free Floating Rail
- Variable Power Optic
- Use of Bipod
- Use of Suppressor

The goal is to implement a portable, lightweight, accurate system with greater lethality than a standard M4 carbine, but this idea has been seen in multiple variations. Here's a perfect example of what I'm referring to. Posted by Lawman734 earlier in this thread, a SEAL Recce:
Like I have said elsewhere, these really aren't used anymore. Some of the older guys still use them, but by and large they have been replaced by the 14.5" HK416 with NF 2.5-10x24/32's in NF UniMounts. The 416 Recce rifles were what were used to take out the Somali pirates. The one above also has an Insight RULR mounted above the optic.

While stocks, bipods and muzzle devices may change, I've listed out where things have been common on all of them.

- KAC rifle length FF RAS
- 16" Lilja barrel, carbine gas system
- KAC rail mounted back up irons. The flip up front and 600m rear - the older style, not the micro's
- KAC gas block
- Norgon ambi-catch on the lower

For stocks, bipods and grips, I've seen the following used about exclusively with it not varying much from there.

SOPMOD OR CTR stocks
Harris 6-9" swivel bipods with notched legs and Pod-Loc or Accu-Shot Atlas
Meyers flash suppressor or AAC M4-2000 mount
View Quote

Versus

Mk12 Mod H Recce per poster Glass1 on the Mk12 thread:
Here are the specs on the gun:

- 16" barrel with mid length gas system (barrels are from a variety of mfg; one of them in the above photo is Noveske marked)
- PRI low pro gas block
- PRI Gen III handguard
- standard Ops Inc collar and muzzle brake
- PRI flip up front sight (while I've only seen a handful of these uppers, the one in the above pic is the only sample I've seen with the BUIS installed)
- rear BUIS was typically the retained ARMS #40, to my understanding.
- some used the PRI Recce Rail, others used the Larue SPR mount (samples of both above)
- PRI Gas Buster charging handles
- it is unclear whether these were built on the original Mod 0 upper recievers or whether new ones were used. The few I have seen are Colt "C" marked, which could suggest either.
- they originally used the ACE SOCOM buttstock, but my understanding is that most have been replaced with other stocks. I've only seen one photo with the ACE stock in use. Most have either Magpul PRS, ACS, or SOPMOD stocks. The one above obviously has a Vltor installed. Obviously operator preference.
- lowers were the retained Mod 0 lowers
View Quote

See my point? Two different builds, same concept utilized by different branches of the military.

But while we are on the topic of the Mod H, here's a cross post from the Mk12 thread :
Sorry, gents--

No range report to give as the weather was pretty shitty yesterday and prior obligations have me out of the game today. Hopefully I'll have something for you all later this week. By then the Holland will have been upgraded with a Geissele SSA-E Trigger and paint job. For shits and giggles, the assortment of factory ammo that I have managed to round up to test fire through this thing includes:
- Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1
- CBC 5.56 77gr OTM
- Hornady 5.56 75gr BTHP Match
- Federal 5.56 62gr Green Tip (XM885F)
- Federal 5.56 55gr FMJ (XM193)

Really looking forward to seeing how well the CLE-Douglas Barrel performs once I find my 100yd zero. Judging from the feedback of other CLE clients I do not think I'll be disappointed. Enough talk already, though--this is a pic thread after all:

Playing around with the storage layout before I cut the foam (anyone want to lend a foam cutter?! )

M
View Quote

M
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
That was s a good post, thanks.  It was a sincere question and I was, and am, aware that I may sound like an ass.  Your post is a good summation and I think what was a 'recce" AR is now translated to be 16", flat-top/optics-ready, no FSP AR, and a lot of people are missing the boat re: SS precision barrel.  RE: the info about the SEALs rifle to smoke check the skinnies, I am not sure those were recce ARs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By chuckman1108:

That was s a good post, thanks.  It was a sincere question and I was, and am, aware that I may sound like an ass.  Your post is a good summation and I think what was a 'recce" AR is now translated to be 16", flat-top/optics-ready, no FSP AR, and a lot of people are missing the boat re: SS precision barrel.  RE: the info about the SEALs rifle to smoke check the skinnies, I am not sure those were recce ARs.

View Quote
Who says you can't have an FSP on a recce?

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I do not know that you can't; I do know the original specs did not have it.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:50:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joeygarnreiter] [#33]

View All Quotes

I can dig this.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I had an extra 2 ft.line of cord laying, and figured "what the hell".
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I think the setscrew version will fit.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Stole the optic and bipod from my Mk13 Mod 5 project while it's at the smith so set this little guy up for a brief time.

BCM Upper, BCG and CH
KAC 3.1 URX
DD 14.5 Barrel
Silencer Co FH
Nightforce Army Spec F1 3.5-15x50 in a NF 20moa Unimount
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By ggee87:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ggee87/63B314C7-7136-4F73-BD76-51ABB6E5970E_zpsxgtplbrl.jpg

Stole the optic and bipod from my Mk13 Mod 5 project while it's at the smith so set this little guy up for a brief time.

BCM Upper, BCG and CH

KAC 3.1 URX

DD 14.5 Barrel

Silencer Co FH

View Quote

Fuck. Yes. Now paint it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Fuck. Yes. Now paint it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ggee87:
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/ggee87/63B314C7-7136-4F73-BD76-51ABB6E5970E_zpsxgtplbrl.jpg

BCM Upper, BCG and CH
KAC 3.1 URX
DD 14.5 Barrel
Silencer Co FH

Fuck. Yes. Now paint it.

Maybe when it gets a different optic.  The scope and bipod are getting moved to the mk13 which is already being cerakoted upon assembly
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#39]
That's quite the scope.  You could see the wings on a fly at 300 yards with it.  LOL.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I got bitten by the precision rifle bug late last year.  ARs have taken a distant back seat and I've been using them as temporary optics platforms
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Good picture.  Thats probably what most modern RECCE setups look like.

Dangerdan posted this in the Mk12 thread, I don't know if it got cross posted here or not but this fits the classic idea of an early RECCE.
http://aliastraining.com/images/products/detail/A_3_k.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mblades:
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
https://33.media.tumblr.com/cd3b6db77e2aa3befcc0d6332165ac9f/tumblr_nb9yd6Yei81tl3jndo1_1280.jpg

Apparently this photo is from the Alabama Maersk hijacking. Evolution of the short recce (10.5") or perhaps it's a 14.5" with a reflex suppressor?

Good picture.  Thats probably what most modern RECCE setups look like.

Dangerdan posted this in the Mk12 thread, I don't know if it got cross posted here or not but this fits the classic idea of an early RECCE.
http://aliastraining.com/images/products/detail/A_3_k.jpg

whats the time frame on this pic? what kind of barrel is this? looks like a 16" barrel..with FSB..looks parkerized..
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#42]
does anyone run a recce rifle with an a2 stock? I am debating selling my b5 bravo for something but don't know what
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#43]

I do not know that you can't; I do know the original specs did not have it.

View Quote
Care to share?

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Pic thread

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:34:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#45]
Nice pic.  Dang, that almost looks like it could be a larue mount.  Which is not something I have seen all that often, other than builds on here and kevinb's.  Also have not seen a lot of vltor stocks I don't think.  I guess that recce is what you guys call a Holland, eh?

About A2 stocks, a couple of pages back there was a fixed stock shown, but it does not seem to be very typical on a recce.  I had one on mine for a while.  I actually like it.  But of course a carbine stock is usually lighter.  Mk12's are found with A1's sometimes.  Especially because I think some of them actually utilized A1 lowers.  I forget why exactly.  Not sure if they wanted f/a or they were just available.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:28:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Wouldn't this be considered a recce?  Jared Ogden during a demo this past Sunday.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Yep, thats a Recce!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I consider it more an SPR, but there are fairly loose definitions of both.

To me, a RECCE consists of a 14.5" or longer setup with a 1-x optic. An SPR, a 14.5" or longer setup with a 2 or higher-x optic.

That's just me though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#49]

That is beautiful AR there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
I consider it more an SPR, but there are fairly loose definitions of both.

To me, a RECCE consists of a 14.5" or longer setup with a 1-x optic. An SPR, a 14.5" or longer setup with a 2 or higher-x optic.

That's just me though.
View Quote

For some reason my brain tells me that the distinguishing factor between the two is an SPR will have a rifle length gas system, which means probably an 18" barrel or so.  Recce's are shorter.  Carbine or mid with 16" or so barrel.  But I also do see that a recce is typically a less powerful scope an an SPR.  But I"m not as hung up on the optics.
Page / 220
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top