AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 220
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]

" />
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ShiftSix] [#2]
Ok,  looking for some advice to finish this Recce project I started.  

I have been (impatiently) waiting for Mega to release their Megalithic upper in a quad rail variant vs the keymod one thats been out a few months now...  

If I choose to stop waiting and just build something with parts available, what would you choose to finish my build?  Receiver, Barrel, and Rail I would like to keep around the $1000 neighborhood.  

Here's what I have so far...

Mega Arms billet lower.
Giessele SD-E trigger
and LaRue Tactical's UDE furniture kit (CTR, MOE grip, FUG, with index clips)

Pic.

Part of me wants to wait for the Megalithic upper, Part of me wants to finish this Recce build now vs waiting,  and the last part of me is thinking Fuck it, and wants to place an order for a 556 OBR.

What would you build?  or do in my shoes?

Edit:  This is the upper i've been waiting on, and wanted to throw a Lilja barrel in it...  But im unsure when or if it'll come out for the masses to purchase.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I would just build an upper. too many nice options out there for me to sit and wait on something that may or may not be released.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RecoilSensitive:
I would just build an upper. too many nice options out there for me to sit and wait on something that may or may not be released.
View Quote

What I am thinking... Question then is.  What rail?  I like the DD M4A1 RIS-II... I like their Dark earth color (not sure how it would look with my UDE furniture) and im wondering about its weight.  
I like Geissele's SMR selection too...
I like the PRI tube seen on the MK12's too.  Like the way their riser looks but really do not want to use the ARMS scope mounts that accompany that setup.

Just looking for and open to ideas.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
1-4 Recce Mode

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
nice.  I think that's the first time I've seen a sling attached like that on the front.  Both the cord around it and then the attachment on the sling itself.   What kind is that?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#7]
Originally Posted By ShiftSix:

What I am thinking... Question then is.  What rail?  I like the DD M4A1 RIS-II... I like their Dark earth color (not sure how it would look with my UDE furniture) and im wondering about its weight.  
I like the PRI tube seen on the MK12's too.  Like the way their riser looks but really do not want to use the ARMS scope mounts that accompany that setup.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You are in my favorite part of the building phase, the dreaming/conceptual side. I'd also agree to go on with the build. Monolithic platforms are nice but you don't have the flexibility to change items out. Let's face it, new rails and forearms debut all the time and I'm constantly swapping them out.

What are you looking for in a handguard? Quad rail/tube? I think the PRI would look solid on a recce/Holland type build. LaRue and Nightforce also have low mount rings so you wouldn't have to stick with ARMS. I love the Geissele rail design and barrel nut but they do not fit my hands well. As far as barrels, I'm a big fan of the BCM SS410 16" midlength. There's a used one in the EE that you may be able to save on.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jukeboxx13] [#8]

Originally Posted By JJREA:

nice.  I think that's the first time I've seen a sling attached like that on the front.  Both the cord around it and then the attachment on the sling itself.   What kind is that?
View Quote
Proctor sling.

Easily adjustable, and minimal. I love it for a two point.

ETA: It's paracord btw

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RussellAthletic:

You are in my favorite part of the building phase, the dreaming/conceptual side. I'd also agree to go on with the build. Monolithic platforms are nice but you don't have the flexibility to change items out. Let's face it, new rails and forearms debut all the time and I'm constantly swapping them out.

What are you looking for in a handguard? Quad rail/tube? I think the PRI would look solid on a recce/Holland type build. LaRue and Nightforce also have low mount rings so you wouldn't have to stick with ARMS. I love the Geissele rail design and barrel nut but they do not fit my hands well. As far as barrels, I'm a big fan of the BCM SS410 16" midlength. There's a used one in the EE that you may be able to save on.

View All Quotes

Agreed.  It is fun, and im really not sure.  In the end I just want to balance it being rock solid, and weight in a rail thats 12-13" in length.  I am not completely opposed to keymod, but due to already buying stuff for a regular rail I would rather just stick with a quad rail so I dont have to add adapters or rail sections to make it work.  

This is basically where im at...  We'll see I suppose.  

For those that have the DD M4A1 RIS II... how does it balance once you add a SS Match barrel?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Agreed.  It is fun, and im really not sure.  In the end I just want to balance it being rock solid, and weight in a rail thats 12-13" in length.  I am not completely opposed to keymod, but due to already buying stuff for a regular rail I would rather just stick with a quad rail so I dont have to add adapters or rail sections to make it work.  

For those that have the DD M4A1 RIS II... how does it balance once you add a SS Match barrel?
View All Quotes

I have two RIS II equipped ARs, both sporting Noveske barrels(14.5 and 13.7) I like them, they balance well but with a CQBSS and suppressor it can get heavy when carried for extended periods.

Personally, I love the look of the PRI tubes or the older KAC FF tubes for a RECCE build, If I were building one I'd go for that authentic mil clone look over a more modern version.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
Proctor sling.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
Proctor sling.  

I figured that about the paracord.  Proctor eh?  Hmmmmm...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

It's a lil front heavy w/ the bipod and adaptor, but not too bad... I plan on mostly supported shooting anyways.

I'll find out in a lil over a week how she'll feel with about 25 more ounces of scope/mount attached

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:

It's a lil front heavy w/ the bipod and adaptor, but not too bad... I plan on mostly supported shooting anyways.

I'll find out in a lil over a week how she'll feel with about 25 more ounces of scope/mount attached

<a href="http://s972.photobucket.com/user/slowkota1/media/IMG_0468_zps40d4b952.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/IMG_0468_zps40d4b952.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s972.photobucket.com/user/slowkota1/media/IMG_0468_zps40d4b952.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/IMG_0468_zps40d4b952.jpg</a>

Thats sexy as fuck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok,  looking for some advice to finish this Recce project I started.  

I have been (impatiently) waiting for Mega to release their Megalithic upper in a quad rail variant vs the keymod one thats been out a few months now...  

If I choose to stop waiting and just build something with parts available, what would you choose to finish my build?  Receiver, Barrel, and Rail I would like to keep around the $1000 neighborhood.  

Here's what I have so far...

Mega Arms billet lower.
Giessele SD-E trigger
and LaRue Tactical's UDE furniture kit (CTR, MOE grip, FUG, with index clips)

Pic.
<a href="http://s58.photobucket.com/user/lltek2002/media/29228794-C5B8-45EF-B1E5-BFD24E4DA957_zpslnpsxflw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/lltek2002/29228794-C5B8-45EF-B1E5-BFD24E4DA957_zpslnpsxflw.jpg</a>

Part of me wants to wait for the Megalithic upper, Part of me wants to finish this Recce build now vs waiting,  and the last part of me is thinking Fuck it, and wants to place an order for a 556 OBR.

What would you build?  or do in my shoes?

Edit:  This is the upper i've been waiting on, and wanted to throw a Lilja barrel in it...  But im unsure when or if it'll come out for the masses to purchase.
<a href="http://s58.photobucket.com/user/lltek2002/media/Megalithic-build01-1500-B3_zps33760ca8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/lltek2002/Megalithic-build01-1500-B3_zps33760ca8.jpg</a>
View Quote

Go for the Lilja barrel for sure.  I too am not a fan of the keymod for my personal rifle.  Looks great on the rifles here, I just prefer something else.  If mega won't give you a time frame, just build it up with a Daniel Defense.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#15]
Did a 5/8" suppressed group today :)

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Need some factory match ammo suggestions for my "Recce"... Looking to order about 6 or 7 different kinds, and see which one my rifle likes best (To hold me over until I start handloading my own of course )

Right now the only ones I know I want to try are the Black Hills 77gr OTM, 75gr Hornady SUPERFORMANCE Match, and the 69gr Lapua scenar...

That leaves me needing 3 or 4 other options

Barrel is a Lilja M4 16" 1/8 twist
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Need some factory match ammo suggestions for my "Recce"... Looking to order about 6 or 7 different kinds, and see which one my rifle likes best (To hold me over until I start handloading my own of course )

Right now the only ones I know I want to try are the Black Hills 77gr OTM, 75gr Hornady SUPERFORMANCE Match, and the 69gr Lapua scenar...

View Quote

I believe Hornady Super performance match is meant for 20" barrels. You may get popped primers in a shorter barrel length.

75 grain Hornady Match has grouped well in my rifle. You could also try the PRVI match stuff as it's cheap and good quality. I have yet to run it in my Recon rifle. You could also try lighter grain Black hills stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Try Federal Gold Medal Match 77 gr., mine really like that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know how I forgot to list the trusted FGMM!

Do they have .223 and 5.56 NATO FGMM... Like how they have .308 and 7.62x51 NATO FGMM? Just wondering, I'd buy a box of both anyways.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't seen any 5.56 FGMM, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I shoot the .223.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, here she is for the time being.

Anyone have a low-power variable in an LT-104 that I can demo on here?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/pegUDd" target="_blank">https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2947/15246423878_a5e1f2e33f_h.jpg</a>

View Quote

son of a….

damn that's nice! I got a mk8 in a 104 you can demo if you're ever in my area.

Now I NEED to find a MRE
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2947/15246423878_a5e1f2e33f_h.jpg

View Quote

Awesome. Needs paint and an NT4.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:37:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#24]

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View All Quotes

I put a teardrop FA on there to keep you off my back.

I'd like a QDSS, but a SOCOM will work on 3 other rifles. Of course, the SF can will have to wait until I can get my hands on an AEM5.
And, It doesn't show well in pics but the MRE has a sweet purple to it. I almost don't want to cover it..... almost.

Originally Posted By G_MAN:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/pegUDd" target="_blank">https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2947/15246423878_a5e1f2e33f_h.jpg</a>

son of a….

damn that's nice! I got a mk8 in a 104 you can demo if you're ever in my area.

Now I NEED to find a MRE
I'll trade that MRE for your MK8. Hell I'll even pay shipping both ways.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#25]

I'd like a QDSS, but a SOCOM will work on 3 other rifles. Of course, the SF can will have to wait until I can get my hands on an AEM5.

And, It doesn't show well in pics but the MRE has a sweet purple to it. I almost don't want to cover it..... almost.

View All Quotes

You didn't go teardrop FA for me.

And yeah, that purp is pretty cool. My FF RAS had a similar anodizing. You could start by painting some KAC rail panels and the rest of the rifle; would probably look pretty cool.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:01:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#26]

You didn't go teardrop FA for me.
And yeah, that purp is pretty cool. My FF RAS had a similar anodizing. You could start by painting some KAC rail panels and the rest of the rifle; would probably look pretty cool.

View Quote

You know I'll end up painting the whole rifle, I just wanna enjoy the purple for a while longer.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

looks good! but you gotta get the right CAR stock on there..
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By MattNificent:
View All Quotes

Not at the price they're currently going for.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

MA parts has a clone of the colt..
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#30]

View All Quotes

I didn't need a full kit, and this was much cheaper. If this were a 100%, 1to1 clone build, I would spring for a "legit" CAR. Currently however, those two ribs not being present aren't causing me to lose any sleep.

Unless of course you have a CAR you wanna get rid of on the cheap.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

I believe Hornady Super performance match is meant for 20" barrels. You may get popped primers in a shorter barrel length.

75 grain Hornady Match has grouped well in my rifle. You could also try the PRVI match stuff as it's cheap and good quality. I have yet to run it in my Recon rifle. You could also try lighter grain Black hills stuff.
View All Quotes

Well that's a new one on me.  Where did you hear such a thing and how would that even happen?  I'm not sure I understand that.  

Secretwheelman, it's beautiful.  Personally, I'd leave it black.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

every barrel is prejudiced.  Not just each type, but each individual barrel.  It's up to you to figure out what works in yours.  Supposedly the 69's are super great, but for some reason my recce really doesn't like them.  But it likes the 52's, 68's, 75's and 77's.  And doesn't do too bad with m193 and m855.  Those all shoot better than the 69 red box black hills I've shot through it.  It's a great barrel, but that's it's weakness.  Cryptonite69.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Well that's a new one on me.  Where did you hear such a thing and how would that even happen?  I'm not sure I understand that.  

View All Quotes

Thank you, sir.

And this is straight from the source on Super performance.

"It is recommended that to get the best functioning with Superformance
ammunition in gas operated/gas piston semi-automatic or select fire
guns, rifle length gas systems with 20 inch or longer barrel lengths are
best for reliable firing and extraction. Any other configuration,
particularly shorter barrels/gas systems are best served with the
installation of an adjustable gas system, ESPECIALLY if a suppressor is
to be installed."

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you, sir.

"It is recommended that to get the best functioning with Superformance ammunition in gas operated/gas piston semi-automatic or select fire guns, rifle length gas systems with 20 inch or longer barrel lengths are best for reliable firing and extraction. Any other configuration, particularly shorter barrels/gas systems are best served with the installation of an adjustable gas system, ESPECIALLY if a suppressor is to be installed."  
View All Quotes

Thank you, sir.

"It is recommended that to get the best functioning with Superformance ammunition in gas operated/gas piston semi-automatic or select fire guns, rifle length gas systems with 20 inch or longer barrel lengths are best for reliable firing and extraction. Any other configuration, particularly shorter barrels/gas systems are best served with the installation of an adjustable gas system, ESPECIALLY if a suppressor is to be installed."  

Thanks secretwheelman for finding that. It may be an even bigger problem on the Lilja since the gas port is so large.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Thanks secretwheelman for finding that. It may be an even bigger problem on the Lilja since the gas port is so large.
View Quote

No problem. BTW: Any of the mk262 clones available should suit you well. CBC, IMI, and BH, are all pretty similar.

However, I do wish I could still get the red box Hornady TAP 75gr BTHP's locally. I always had good results with 'em.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Model 1 Sales has a close replica of the CAR...

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=466

Fastfoot
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#38]

No problem. BTW: Any of the mk262 clones available should suit you well. CBC, IMI, and BH, are all pretty similar.

However, I do wish I could still get the red box Hornady TAP 75gr BTHP's locally. I always had good results with 'em.

View All Quotes

Nice stick!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Damn, I forgot about that 15-22. That's a mean duo you got there.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I agree.  

And see, doesn't the receiver just look right black, mixed in with the painted stuff?  I'm not sure why.  It just does.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:13:35 AM EDT
[#42]

I agree.  

And see, doesn't the receiver just look right black, mixed in with the painted stuff?  I'm not sure why.  It just does.
View All Quotes

I agree.  

More so in person. Even more so when I get some of that paint to rub off from use.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#43]

More so in person. Even more so when I get some of that paint to rub off from use.

View All Quotes

I agree.  

I can see why you're such a proponent of painting.  They look frickin great.  I'm jelly of that .22 also.  Although i'd rather have a shorter mag.  Do they even make them?  Anyways....  I saw the post in the mod 1 and it looked like a great day of shooting.  Even if it was frustrating.  I'm sure it was the nut behind the trigger.  Go adjust that.  JK.  The downside is you wont want to shoot your Holland because you're too busy trying to get the skinny on the mod 1.   Such dilemmas.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah I'll never quite understand the logic behind the M&P mag; it's not even a full 30 at that length! The gun functions exactly like an AR, why not make the mags the same fucking length?! I'll sacrifice a few extra rounds for a proper-length mag. But yes, they do make straight shorties, but guess what? They're shorter than the old USGI 20rd mags! Really feel like they dropped the fucking ball on those details, but otherwise, they're awesome guns.

Definitely not expecting big issues out of the Mod1; the Holland WILL see some rounds through it ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#45]

HATE. so much hate.

nice rail mod and trainer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morg308] [#46]
Very nice Utah! That has to be the nicest 15/22 I've ever seen. Just can't say enough about that Mod1. WOW.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks y'all!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Update to the Recon rifle. Primary Arms 450 lumen weapon light. This thing is brighter than the sun.... And could double as a hammer. May get the tailcap pressure switch, haven't decided yet.

" />

Now all I'm missing are BUIS, a PRI gas buster and AAC can (stamp pending)
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#49]
In the spirit of The Walking Dead starting tonight...I thought this picture fits. Have a good night everyone.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 220
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top