Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2024 8:46:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tallis]
Hello All.  I want to Red Dot one of the following rifles, need suggestions as to which one.  The Red Dot will be a Romeo5, or Holosun equivalent (forgot the number), all rifles are M4 style, carbine configuration:  7.62x39, 9mm, the 556 can be a middy, or carbine gas.  Sight in range will be caliber specific.  Any suggestions would be great.  All currently have detach Carry Handles, and I have rails for the handles if needed. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 8:56:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#1]
Aimpoint Micro T2 or Comp M5.

Edit: Also try looking at or posting in the optics specific section: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Optics-Mounts-and-Sights/18/
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
Aimpoint Micro T2 or Comp M5.

Edit: Also try looking at or posting in the optics specific section: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Optics-Mounts-and-Sights/18/
View Quote

If he’s mentioning Sig and Holosun, he’s probably not got the budget for a $600+ red dot. The Sig R5 and R7S are good to go, as is the Holosun 403/503 series.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tallis:
Hello All.  I want to Red Dot one of the following rifles, need suggestions as to which one.  The Red Dot will be a Romeo5, or Holosun equivalent (forgot the number), all rifles are M4 style, carbine configuration:  7.62x39, 9mm, the 556 can be a middy, or carbine gas.  Sight in range will be caliber specific.  Any suggestions would be great.  All currently have detach Carry Handles, and I have rails for the handles if needed. Thanks
View Quote

I suggest you just pick what you want and put it on a rifle. Caliber, gas system, barrel length, zero distance etc won’t matter. Buy it, zero it, and shoot it. It’s really that simple. There are already tons of threads discussing the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, the exact rifle details don't matter.  Put it on whichever one to which you want to add the benefits of red dot shooting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#5]
the holosun HS403b's are cheap enough to have one on each rifle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#6]
If your guys have detachable carry handles mount the RDS to the receiver top rail.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Define the mission of each, and equip accordingly.  A 9mm is a great candidate for RDS due to the range limitations.  That said, I have a 2.5 prism on my 9mm carbine.  My 9mm pistol has RDS.

I also have RDS on one 5.56 carbine, along with a 3x magnifier.  There is no wrong answer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tallis:
View Quote

This is worth a watch. Mike, formerly from Swampfox, who's now starting up Gideon optics, discusses some of the sausage making in the optics industry.

https://youtu.be/Y7C9JWIjP6U?si=WEcha6tSUjrk5AG5
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
If your guys have detachable carry handles mount the RDS to the receiver top rail.
View Quote

The Sig Romeo 5 comes with two mounting options, high and low.  The tall mount is suitable for AR optics height.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I have dots from Trijicon SRO to Burris to Holosun to SIG. I also have an astigmatism so they all look like shit.

That said, they are all functionally effective. They are not on any guns I am shooting groups with (except I zeroed a Romeo 5 today to about 2 MOA) so I just put the fiery spider on the target and send it.

Zero problems with my Holosuns or Romeo 5s.  Buy what you like.. I prefer “always on” but will take “shake awake.” Not a fan of dots I need to turn on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top