Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2024 9:01:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: agentblack]
I purchased my Ruger SFAR a few months back but the weather has proven to be problematic in getting out to start using it.  Finally got around to using it this weekend and I have to say it was the most disappointing experience.  I'm not sure if it's the ammo, the gun, the scope, or a combo of things but it was not a pleasant experience. Set up is as follows:

Standard Ruger SFAR 308
Bushnell 6-18x50 Optic
Sellier & Bellot 20 rnds
Aguila 20 rnds

Results:

With the S&B, every other round failed to eject from the gun.  It would always jam up against the next round coming up. Additionally, the shots landed all over the paper from about 20 yards out while trying to sight the scope in. Even with no adjustments to the scope, the shots were wildly all over the paper.

With the Aguila, edited.... (edit: these actually did eject properly after speaking with my buddy) These rounds also landed wildly all over but not nearly as bad as the S&B's. Again from 20 yards.

Weather: Bright, sunny day, temps into the low 80's, no to very light wind

I am at a bit of a loss here as to why this thing like to eat it's spent shells.  It lead to a frustrating day and made me give up on it.

Just curious if this is a known issue or do I have something else going on here, like an ammo issue?

TIA,
AB
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/775813_New-Ruger-SFAR-Small-Frame-Autoloading-rifle-.html

Is your gas block touching your rail?  What setting did you have the gas block set to?
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine likes lighter loads and people report having to set the gas port to #3 for a couple of hundred break in rounds.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#3]
AR’s in general are hard on regular brass. AR10’s are real hard on brass. Been shooting my AR10’s for past 20 years and will tell you LC brass is the only brass that can take the abuse. LC is military brass. Been reloading over 20 years also. I use only LC brass. My 308 SFAR with a 20 inch barrel shoots 168 Amax just fine, almost cloverleafs at 100 yards. Until you have around 100 rounds shot through your SFAR, you will have issues. Just buy some cheap 308 rounds to shoot until you reach 100 rounds. Lube the shit out of it too. Depending on bullet weight, you will need to play with the adjustable gas block to help reduce allot of damage to the brass. But regular brass is to soft for AR’s in general.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
No mention of the gas setting...........

Ahem. Did you adjust the gas setting at any point?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Check the gas setting.  Those ship with the gas block set so low they are effectively a bolt action.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't had the chance to look at the gas block settings yet, stuck at work. It's factory fresh outta the box, did not make any adjustments.  I'll see if I can get the current setting to answer the question being asked.

TIA.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrumpyinStL:
Check the gas setting.  Those ship with the gas block set so low they are effectively a bolt action.
View Quote

Haven’t touched mine since getting. Been shooting great out of the box. Maybe I got a lucky one after reading of others having issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top