Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2024 12:47:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector]
So this will be an ongoing project, but as of today, I have my Sabre-10a1 forged rifle in hand. I got it for the “daily deal” of $1199.99 with free shipping and 6% KY sales tax.

Upon receiving, action is smooth, finish if good, and fit is acceptable. Given that there is no “mil-spec” for 308 AR style rifles, PSA keeps it reasonable.

Now if I said I didn’t buy it for the looks as much as desire of function, I’d be lying. I love 50 shades of OD and FDE, and this rifle will reflect it.

As it came-

Attachment Attached File

Changes-

As a bearded fellow, adjustable stocks on standard buffer tubed suck for me. I primary use UBR’s, Magpul fixed carbine, and ACE entry stocks. For this one, I had an OD green UBR left in a parts bin from another rifle I reconfigured, and it went on here posthaste. Now the beard wasn’t the only reason, as this rifle ships with an A5 length buffer tube, and the UBR 2 also has an A5 tube, it was the only option for me without having to changing buffer/spring as well. I did however put a flat wire spring in with the factory H buffer. The grip also changed with this, to a K2XL and I changed the PSA muzzle device to a griffin taper mount I had for my can. This rifle will only be shot suppressed if I can help it.

Also added was a magpul handstop, mlok covers, BUIS, surefire M952V, Sig Romeo MSR 1-8, amazon special bipod, and a QD sling point further out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Range report coming in the AM with 150gr ball, 150gr SST’s and 150gr Nosler BT’s.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 6:15:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#1]
Sweet,keep us posted. I have one too and initial impressions are good, I have only put about 300 rounds through mine.   Hasty zero and shot it at a friends ranch out to 700 on 12x20 steel. I  had a 6x PA SLX Gen IV nova on it and the reticle was the limiting factor.  Think im going to bump up to a 2.5-10x I have laying around.  

I haven’t done a thorough precision eval yet but seems promising.
[

I call it my “HK M110A1 from across the room”

I’m with you I wanted the moss green and ral8000 ish color scheme more than I wanted it as a pseudo m110a1

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I received that exact rifle in yesterday as well. I also used that same bipod from Amazon.

I will be mounting a US Optics 3-12 on mine since I had it laying around and I will probably change out the stock and grip as well. Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
My billet versionAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
My billet versionhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435001/IMG_3643_jpeg-3301315.JPG
View Quote
@ScoutH57  What scope is that?
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
@ScoutH57  What scope is that?
View Quote

Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10x

Awesome scopes
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#6]
Disclaimer- I did not shoot this rifle in its factory configuration at all, it got a ported Griffin brake and was used with the Griffin Recce7 for every round fired.

After today, I’ve decided I’m gonna get a 1-10 scope on this thing and most likely a first focal plane.

The good-

She’s accurate. My phone overheated because my dumbass left it on top of the car, so I didn’t get pics of several groups. I had three 5-shot groups come in under 2” at 100 yards, and the fourth was just under 3” with hornady sst and nosler BT 150gr reloads. After the smaller target groups, I shot at the center with 15rds at a fairly decent ROF and the mirage started fucking with me pretty good off the can, and I did manage to get a pic of that.

Attachment Attached File

The bad-

It would not feed or function with remington or federal 150gr FMJ at all. They did not want to chamber for shit, and try as I may to palm the fuck out of the FA, most would not chamber unless I dropped the bolt on them 2-3 times. I’m taking a drill and wire brush to this chamber posthaste.

The Ugly-

I had a ton of FTFeed, FTE’s and double feeds. I may need to spend more time with the gas system, but I got frustrated with the lack of feeding enough to quit fucking with it and focus on groups with the reloads. While I changed the stock, I did not change the spring/buffer. Brass ejection was erratic, and as you can see pictured, some not at all. I had around 10 of these exact same malfunctions pictured. This was between the included lancer, two magpul 20rd and a magpul 10rd mag.

Attachment Attached File

This is not supposed to be a “thuper-thniper-rifle” but I am very pleased with the accuracy, but I need it to do the function thing a bit better.

On another note I was able to get a whole 5 gallon bucket of once fired 308, 5.56, and 9mm from the range having a class the other night. Not mad at that.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You magnificent brass rat.

I’ve been in the 308 game for a while, the large frames were dpms.
I had very similar experiences feeding and ejection with them.

My cure was exactly a chamber brush and a drill. Low speed and CLP.  Then when it was mucked out a 20 ga bore mop with polish.

Some ammo never fed or extracted right, but it was all the old cheap surplus, mostly SA ball.

Sometimes they just need shot a lot to break in.

Now I’m shooting a SFAR 20” a lot and really like it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
That’s pretty decent grouping for first time out.  You’ll find a good load.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
That’s pretty decent grouping for first time out.  You’ll find a good load.
View Quote

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised for velocity based loads, I’m going to try 168gr range for chasing groups on this one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Atropian_Defector:
Disclaimer- I did not shoot this rifle in its factory configuration at all, it got a ported Griffin brake and was used with the Griffin Recce7 for every round fired.

After today, I’ve decided I’m gonna get a 1-10 scope on this thing and most likely a first focal plane.

The good-

She’s accurate. My phone overheated because my dumbass left it on top of the car, so I didn’t get pics of several groups. I had three 5-shot groups come in under 2” at 100 yards, and the fourth was just under 3” with hornady sst and nosler BT 150gr reloads. After the smaller target groups, I shot at the center with 15rds at a fairly decent ROF and the mirage started fucking with me pretty good off the can, and I did manage to get a pic of that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523616/IMG_4565_jpeg-3301438.JPG

The bad-

It would not feed or function with remington or federal 150gr FMJ at all. They did not want to chamber for shit, and try as I may to palm the fuck out of the FA, most would not chamber unless I dropped the bolt on them 2-3 times. I’m taking a drill and wire brush to this chamber posthaste.

The Ugly-

I had a ton of FTFeed, FTE’s and double feeds. I may need to spend more time with the gas system, but I got frustrated with the lack of feeding enough to quit fucking with it and focus on groups with the reloads. While I changed the stock, I did not change the spring/buffer. Brass ejection was erratic, and as you can see pictured, some not at all. I had around 10 of these exact same malfunctions pictured. This was between the included lancer, two magpul 20rd and a magpul 10rd mag.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523616/IMG_4564_jpeg-3301437.JPG

This is not supposed to be a “thuper-thniper-rifle” but I am very pleased with the accuracy, but I need it to do the function thing a bit better.

On another note I was able to get a whole 5 gallon bucket of once fired 308, 5.56, and 9mm from the range having a class the other night. Not mad at that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523616/IMG_4563_jpeg-3301445.JPG
View Quote

I failed to mention mine took about 100 rounds to get going smooth, then I added a suppressor and started all over. But that's been my experience with large frame ARs in general.

I ended up finding a sweet spot and set the gas block and I'm leaving it on that setting so it runs well with factory 150s to 175s. The Huxwrx Flow defenitely made my life alot easier. So much less backpressure to deal with and I think the only reason it is running smoothly with and without a can across that variety of ammo.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of .308 based ARs just jam up at first. It needs to be shot more to let the parts wear in. It'll smooth itself out. I wouldn't do anything to it until I had 500 rounds through it. It will change how it cycles over the first 500rds. Unless it continues to fail. Since it's shooting some ammo just fine, I'd bet it needs to break in. My AR10 choked on everything the first 200 rds except my hand loads. After that, it started cycling the ammo it was choking on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:

I failed to mention mine took about 100 rounds to get going smooth, then I added a suppressor and started all over. But that's been my experience with large frame ARs in general.

I ended up finding a sweet spot and set the gas block and I'm leaving it on that setting so it runs well with factory 150s to 175s. The Huxwrx Flow defenitely made my life alot easier. So much less backpressure to deal with and I think the only reason it is running smoothly with and without a can across that variety of ammo.  

View Quote

Yeah my Recce7 is a low backpressure can too, I think I have it overgassed at the moment because the rounds in the mags are DIRTY as heck, even the bottom ones.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:07:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#13]
Mine will be here Monday. I already have a bunch of rounds loaded up.  I’ll probably throw my 5-25 on it to shoot some groups then pick up a PA plxc 1-8 at some point.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#14]
From a few months ago...

1 thru 6 were increments I don't recall exactly right now of imr 4064 and 125 smks, 5 rd groups. Either 2 or 3 was already what I thought I liked around 46.8 grns so I had another 20 loaded, that's #7 suppressed. 100 yards, sandbags.

A couple minor hiccups early but running good on this trip. Much better than the 16" sfar I had previously.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like they’re a reliability dumpster fire for most people out of the box. Send it back as they seem to pay more attention the second time they put them together.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I did not shoot this rifle in its factory configuration at all
View Quote

Unfortunate....
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Unfortunate....
View Quote

I shoot under a sheetmetal overhang, no way I was shooting this thing unsuppressed, lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]

I shoot under a sheetmetal overhang, no way I was shooting this thing unsuppressed, lol.
View Quote

It just kinda poo-poo's on your poo-poo'ing of the gun a bit, no?  

Grain of salt, and all.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:
From a few months ago...

https://i.postimg.cc/5NcjCHvL/PSAfake-HK02.jpg

1 thru 6 were increments I don't recall exactly right now of imr 4064 and 125 smks, 5 rd groups. Either 2 or 3 was already what I thought I liked around 46.8 grns so I had another 20 loaded, that's #7 suppressed. 100 yards, sandbags.

A couple minor hiccups early but running good on this trip. Much better than the 16" sfar I had previously.
View Quote

That’s awesome what velocities were you getting?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Mine will be here Monday.  I won’t ever shot it unsuppressed.  It has an adjustable gas block for a reason.  I have seen the problems of others with the gas settings.  Hopefully it’s a non issue but we will see.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Hence the disclaimer part you chose not to include

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bigtex84:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigtex84:
Originally Posted By heavily_armed:
From a few months ago...

https://i.postimg.cc/5NcjCHvL/PSAfake-HK02.jpg

Don't know exactly, haven't chrono'd it yet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#23]
Second range trip in the books, with another 75rds through it. I tuned the gas system WAY down and sure enough, she started working properly. Think I’m like 4 clicks down from the factory setting. She now feeds 150gr FMJ’s and ejects them all to 1:30-2:00. Really liking this rifle. A 2.5-10 is in it’s future though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By d16man:
The billet version is on my to buy list.  I shot 2 at The Gathering and they were fantastic.
View Quote

Yeah, kinda regret not getting billet, but I’m happy either way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Hence the disclaimer part you chose not to include

View Quote

So, what, a few words prior to a thrashing?  Unless you shoot a firearm in the configuration in which the man'f delivered it, you have nothing to stand upon when you criticize it.  BS review, period.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#27]

So, what, a few words prior to a thrashing?  Unlessyou shoot a firearm in the configuration in which the man'f delivered it, you have nothing to stand upon when you criticize it.  BS review, period.
View Quote

Where was the thrashing? Statements of fact like it not chambering factory ~150gr is a “thrashing”? Nothing I did affected chambering, same spring/buffer as it came with. I could charge the weapon with a new mag and it had that issue. Even with AAC 147gr

It wasn’t until I shot it that the other issues came about, because yes, a silencer changes shit. And guess what, the factory adjustable gas block provided the solution as I just said.

Brushing the fuck out of the chamber and feedramps made it so factory ball ammo now chambers.

You done being silly yet?
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

What is the factory buffer weight ? , just curious.

And Thank You for your review !
View Quote

It ships using a standard H buffer, in an A5 length buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 2:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#31]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

I mentioned this in the other review.... You might consider trying a 5.4ish oz buffer weight and a Tubbs 308 Flatwire recoil spring.

And the Lancer mag has a strong follower spring weight, enough that it could induce sluggish cycling with some factory ammo in My various PSA LFAR's .

View Quote

Funny you mention that because this weekend I switched to a spikes 9mm buffer and flat spring. Required no extra tuning, and had no FTFeeds. Sticking with this setup for now as it is, brass is ejecting 4-8ft to my 1:30, so I'll take it.

As for the lancer, I ran one mag worth through it and went to my pmags that I have dozens of already loaded.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top