Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2024 9:34:12 AM EDT
What should I be looking for in a general usage, plinking, varminting laser range finder?

I see a lot on https://www.amazon.com/?tag=arfcom00-20 anywhere from $50-$500.  I don't need anything on the high end.  I just don't want to pay for more than I need to do the plinking, varminting kind of shooting.  I ain't competing and I ain't doing King of 2 mile.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:29:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#1]
I bought a Vortex Ranger 1300 laser range finder about ten years ago and it has been gtg.   I think I’ve replaced the battery once.  I use it a around 5 or 6 times a year on average.   The ranging distance is all dependent on the size of the target, weather plus lighting conditions.   Trying to range into the sun in the morning will reduce the capability because of the bright sun blinding the laser receiver.   Just like photography if the sun is at your back or side you get better results.   I have a set of oil field tanks east of my house and according to google maps they are 1240-1250 yards.  From where I measured I got 1246 yards with my Vortex but you have to remember you need a clear view with few obstructions.   During certain lighting conditions I can’t get the range on these oil field storage tanks.   For ranging steel targets I can usually range to 800 yards or further depending on the size of the target.

If I were going to buy a laser range finder today I’d order from AA Optics and get another Vortex.  I purchased my Vortex Ranger 1300 from Sport Optics on clearance that came with some swag.   AA Optics has a Mil/LE discount plus sell refurbished Vortex products.   The refurbs come with the same Vortex warranty.  I’ve bought a few refurbished optics which look brand new and come in the package just like new.   I’ve also bought new Vortex optics from AA who has fast shipping.    Euro Optics has the Vortex Diamondback 2000 for $220 and AA Optics has the refurbished Diamondback for $170.   As with rifle scopes higher price usually produce better results.   My Vortex performs similarly to my Friend’s Leupold but both are over ten years old.  I suspect the Laser Range Finders are better today than my ten year old Vortex.

https://aaoptics.com/Range-Finders_c_120.html

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Diamondback-HD-2000-Laser-Rangefinder-LRF-DB2000.aspx

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an laser rangefinder, won it in a hunter's raffle.  6x magnification and supposed to be good to 1K yards,  but any reading beyond 300  is pure fantasy. No idea of the cost, but it is certainly cheap.     It's just not something I bother with other than as a toy.

To give you an example.  The range at the hunting lease has distance markers out to 500 yards. Laid them myself with a survey tape.   None of them can be ranged accurately, with most of the readings falling short.  the 500 yard marker if it reads at all, is off by 100 feet.    

Just my opinion, but I don't think you are going to get any better data from a cheap laser rangefinder than you would get simply from using a scope with a decent ranging reticle.

Now, if you sink some decent cash into one, maybe things will get better, but that's strictly up to you.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I used a Bushnell Yardage Pro from 1999 until a couple months ago when I replaced it with a Leupold RX-1400i Gen2. Nothing wrong with the Bushnell except I wanted something smaller that could be used one handed. So far the Leupold has done everything I want, not sure how accurate it is but it's consistent which is the most important thing to me. I use them mostly for archery and target shooting so rarely ranging stuff past 200yds.

Link Posted: 9/22/2024 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at something in the Bushnell line.  I won't be shooting anywhere near 1000 yards.  But I will be changing out the barrel on my current setup for a more precision oriented usage. I will be using the heaviest bullet my rifle will shoot accurately.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have top of the line 2,000yd LRF's, but I'm not shooting that far. I now have a cheap Athlon rated for 600 that works fine for me. On a reflective target it can hit over 1,000yds.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Bushnell Prime 1800 and like it allot. 6x, 1000 yards non reflective, 1800 yards reflective. I use it all the time and it’s plenty accurate. It even has some form of a ballistic calculator in it but I’ve never used that feature.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bushnell from like 2014 that was in the ~$400 MSRP range.  It does what it needs to do, but glass isn't that clear and the LED menu leaves a lot to be desired.  I often wonder if it would be worth upgrading to something newer, but I don't use it enough to justify spending the money.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Sig range finder that I really like. I think it's a Kilo. 6x, supposed to be 1,000 yard capable IIRC. Don't know, I've never used it past a few hundred. What I really like about it is that it's compact. Doesn't take up much room at all in my range bag. Hell, my shot timer is bigger than the range finder.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top