Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2024 12:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777]
I’m not seeing much online about the LMT Defender 308.  What are the pros and cons of this weapon?

Basically I want modern semi auto 308, reliable and accurate, doesn’t have to be an AR10 but I know the AR system pretty well. I had an M1A 30 years ago and didn’t care for it. Same with a Garand.  I had a S&W M&P 10 308 a few years ago and didn’t like that either.

The LMT looks like a good combination of features I care about. I don’t need it to be ambi.  I’d prefer an 18” 308 barrel but 16” 1-in-10 will work well enough for the distances I care about. I’d probably replace the carbine stock with something like B5 stock. And I have bipods that will work. I have a stockpile of Magpul magazines that will work, so that’s not an issue. Eventually I’d like to have a suppressor for this rifle too.

LMT seems to churn their models a lot, am I wrong about that?  I'm not going to be a happy camper if this one gets discontinued shortly after I buy one.

Thanks a lot
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Why they didn’t put a (their) SOPMOD stock on there is beyond me.

The only bad thing about LMT:  finding one in stock.
View Quote

I think was just a cost saving measure to keep the price point of this model low(er).
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 14.5" 6.5 version that is probably one of the guns in my collection that I shoot the most.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:
I have a 14.5" 6.5 version that is probably one of the guns in my collection that I shoot the most.
View Quote

How much of your personal touch have you added to the rifle?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you get an 18 or 20” LMT barrel cut or another vendor?

I have the 20” LMT and wish the 18s weren’t so rare (even rarer than normal LMT rare) and that they made a shorter one.
View Quote

I have a factory 13.5 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Do it!  The defender is just their “cheaper version of the MARS-H that uses the non-full ambi lower the original MWS did…and a cheaper stock. I have an original early MWS and a 16” MLOK as well. Bought 16” LW and 20” .308 barrels, as well as a 20” 6.5 CM barrel. Set up the MWS as a DMR and the MLOK rifle as a battle rifle. Love them and both are sub-MOA guns with all barrels. LMT did these right.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#8]
I am not a fan of the AR-10/LR-308 rifles, and I don't know much about the higher end rifles. I will only ask, are you sure you want to discount all rifles with anything but a 1:10 twist rate? I don't mind the 1:10 twist, but at the same time, I would just as gladly buy a 1:12 twist, if not prefer it. A 1:12 is fine for bullets up to 200 grains in a 30 caliber. It's ideal for 165-180 grain bullets like so many are shooting, so what purpose does a 1:10 have unless you are shooting 200 gr and heavier target bullets?

If I had the budget you do, I would be looking at a FN SCAR 17S, but it has a 1:12 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
I am not a fan of the AR-10/LR-308 rifles, and I don't know much about the higher end rifles. I will only ask, are you sure you want to discount all rifles with anything but a 1:10 twist rate? I don't mind the 1:10 twist, but at the same time, I would just as gladly buy a 1:12 twist, if not prefer it. A 1:12 is fine for bullets up to 200 grains in a 30 caliber. It's ideal for 165-180 grain bullets like so many are shooting, so what purpose does a 1:10 have unless you are shooting 200 gr and heavier target bullets?

If I had the budget you do, I would be looking at a FN SCAR 17S, but it has a 1:12 twist barrel.
View Quote

You are incorrect on twist rates and bullet weights. While it varies barrel to barrel, most 1:12’s won’t even shoot 175’s that well. And I had a SCARbage-17s, along with nearly every other battle rifle on the market. These LMT’s are the best bang for the buck and are not just range toys.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
They are great platforms ... over gassed ... but that can be mitigated by BRT has tube ... or an adjustable gas key ...
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a lot of surplus 308 with lighter bullets that'll get fed through this.  I guess I better first check if it's corrosive or not.  LOL.  I'm not necessarily looking for one hole accuracy at 500 yards, it's a serious rifle for a serious purpose.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Given the number of complaints I've heard about LMT's lacksadaiscal QC and customer service for retail customers, I'd consider getting a Seekins Precision SP-10 instead, since it's almost exactly the same price as the LMT
Defender.

The Seekins got picked up on a SOCOM contract as a DMR rifle. How big the contract is I couldn't tell you, but SOCOM apparently likes the SP-10 and that's usually a strong endorsement of a rifle.

I absolutely love the 13.5" LMT 7.62 battle rifle, by the way, but that's not the gun you're asking about.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

You are incorrect on twist rates and bullet weights. While it varies barrel to barrel, most 1:12’s won’t even shoot 175’s that well. And I had a SCARbage-17s, along with nearly every other battle rifle on the market. These LMT’s are the best bang for the buck and are not just range toys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cms81586:

This. Berger recommends a minimum twist of 1:11.5” for the 185gr OTM and a minimum of 1:11.3” for their 175gr VLD.

I 1:10” all the .308 things
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#15]
I have never seen a 1:12 that wouldn't shoot a 175gr SMK. That's the ideal twist for them, they are made just for 1:12. Every 1:12 I ever tried shot 180gr hunting bullets too. I never shot the heavier Bergers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#16]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

This. Berger recommends a minimum twist of 1:11.5” for the 185gr OTM and a minimum of 1:11.3” for their 175gr VLD.

I 1:10” all the .308 things
View Quote

Here is straight from the Berger website.

175gr VLD minimum twist rate 1:13"
185gr OTM minimum twist rate 1:12"

Sounds like 1:12 ought to work great to me.

You are all free to do as you wish. I just think ignoring a 308 with a 1:12 twist is a mistake.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MK3110:

How much of your personal touch have you added to the rifle?
View Quote

Made it full auto and that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Did you get an 18 or 20" LMT barrel cut or another vendor?

I have the 20" LMT and wish the 18s weren't so rare (even rarer than normal LMT rare) and that they made a shorter one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By unclemoak:
Did you get an 18 or 20" LMT barrel cut or another vendor?

I have the 20" LMT and wish the 18s weren't so rare (even rarer than normal LMT rare) and that they made a shorter one.

18" 6.5 barrels are fairly common, I probably even have a few on the shelf.

My barrel is a factory 14.5" overrun from the MRGG-A solicitation.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
@unclemoak will a surefire 3 prong get a 13.5 to 16 pinned ? If not 14 ? I may need to set something up in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and info.  Another possibility for me is the recently announced SOLGW MK-10.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#22]

You are all free to do as you wish. I just think ignoring a 308 with a 1:12 twist is a mistake.
View Quote

From Berger’s website:

175gr VLD
Attachment Attached File

185gr OTM
Attachment Attached File

Also from Berger’s website:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Stabilize (not keyhole) and shoot well are not the same thing. Out of a half dozen 1:12 twist precision .308’s I’ve owned none of them shot anything heavier than 168 gr very well. Just speaking from experience. 1:12 is fine if all you’re shooting is M80 ball. Why do you think FN came to their senses and finally decided to offer the SCAR-20 on 1:10?  People want rifles that shoot 175+gr projectiles well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 7:13:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stevelish] [#24]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:
I have a lot of surplus 308 with lighter bullets that'll get fed through this.  I guess I better first check if it's corrosive or not.  LOL.  I'm not necessarily looking for one hole accuracy at 500 yards, it's a serious rifle for a serious purpose.
View Quote

Look at a SCAR 17, it's designed to shoot M80 with the 1:12 twist barrel, and does it well at 8.0 pounds.

LMT makes great stuff, but those MRP 308 guns are heavy... 9.73 pounds naked.  Slap an optic, full magazine, suppressor, etc... and you are easily way over 10 pounds.  If it's a range toy, no problem.  If you have a serious purpose that involves actually carrying the thing, not sure the weight will be worth bearing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By vet14tango10:
@unclemoak will a surefire 3 prong get a 13.5 to 16 pinned ? If not 14 ? I may need to set something up in the near future.
View Quote

Barrel length + muzzle device length - 0.625" thread overlap = OAL

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By stevelish:
Look at a SCAR 17, it's designed to shoot M80 with the 1:12 twist barrel, and does it well at 8.0 pounds.

LMT makes great stuff, but those MRP 308 guns are heavy... 9.73 pounds naked.  Slap an optic, full magazine, suppressor, etc... and you are easily way over 10 pounds.  If it's a range toy, no problem.  If you have a serious purpose that involves actually carrying the thing, not sure the weight will be worth bearing.
View Quote

Thanks. Maybe I should take a deep breath, slow down,  and think about this more thoroughly. At my age of 64 and physical condition, actually pretty good overall but knees are a weak point, I’m no young warrior. I like having the cool military’ish guns toys but really I’d be content with a heavy range gun in 308 or even 6.5CM. I have a few light weight 5.56 rifles for carrying and serious use. I can use 77gr OTM ammo that will work well for that.  I have heavy bolt guns in 308 and 6.5CM, a heavy semi auto large caliber would round out the collection, but maybe that’s not even necessary. More later.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:14:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SPTiger] [#27]
I'm in the same boat. I want a .308 AR but I have no idea where to start. I'm still considering building one, but that's a whole 'nother set of questions. I'd prefer one with a 16" barrel because it's gonna be suppressed 100% of the time. Also, it needs to be able to use the Magpul SR25/M110 magazines. I bought a box full of them last year when they were on sale, even though I don't have a .308 AR. smh

The LMT looks good to me, but the only experience I've had with LMT was a 10.5" 5.56 upper. It was an excellent upper though, no problems at all.

ETA- Been looking at the Daniel Defense DD5 V3. That's more appealing to me since it already has an adjustable gas block on it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SPTiger:
I'm in the same boat. I want a .308 AR but I have no idea where to start. I'm still considering building one, but that's a whole 'nother set of questions. I'd prefer one with a 16" barrel because it's gonna be suppressed 100% of the time. Also, it needs to be able to use the Magpul SR25/M110 magazines. I bought a box full of them last year when they were on sale, even though I don't have a .308 AR. smh

The LMT looks good to me, but the only experience I've had with LMT was a 10.5" 5.56 upper. It was an excellent upper though, no problems at all.

ETA- Been looking at the Daniel Defense DD5 V3. That's more appealing to me since it already has an adjustable gas block on it.
View Quote

I built one with Aero parts and wish I'd waited and gotten a "better" one.  My aero shoots just fine, no problems but I'd rather have something I'd 100% trust in a real world SHITuation.  I'm not sure if that's DD, LMT, or just plain SCAR.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

I built one with Aero parts and wish I'd waited and gotten a "better" one.  My aero shoots just fine, no problems but I'd rather have something I'd 100% trust in a real world SHITuation.  I'm not sure if that's DD, LMT, or just plain SCAR.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I was avoiding the cheaper options, just because something tells me I should spend a little more on a .308 AR. I don't know why, it's just a gut feeling.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Yeah, I was avoiding the cheaper options, just because something tells me I should spend a little more on a .308 AR. I don't know why, it's just a gut feeling.
View All Quotes

I built my only .308 AR using Aero M5 receivers and a 16” Criterion barrel with rifle length gas. After ~500 trouble free rounds, I have no reservations about trusting it. If someone wants to spend 2x-3x as much for peace of mind, have at it. It’s your money.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

I built my only .308 AR using Aero M5 receivers and a 16” Criterion barrel with rifle length gas. After ~500 trouble free rounds, I have no reservations about trusting it. If someone wants to spend 2x-3x as much for peace of mind, have at it. It’s your money.
View Quote

It’s a bit more than “peace of mind”.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for the Defender if you don't need the ambi bolt release. Mine has been accurate, reliable and free of QC issues. The LMTs are on the heavier side but you can do some things in accessory choices to minimize the pain. Eventually I'd like to grab a LW16" barrel for mine and I wish they sold that as an option on the defender.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm about to assemble my LM8 and likely will do an M110ish clone that is all LMT based (URXII unobtainable). I'll just be honest in the regards to weight. AR10s are not their little brother. They're heavy. Period. Outside of the Scar mentioned above they're just not light platforms. LMT has a hugely unique feature with the ability to switch barrels with little to no effort. Want it lighter? Get Dwilson top spin you up a proof. Yes the LMT is slightly heavier than other platforms but you deck any large frame out and it turns into a pig. Which is fine honestly.

I think if you're wanting bolt gun accuracy Seekin's is going to be very hard to beat. From the results i've seen with LMT or KAC for that matter i'd expect sub-MOA but nothing bolt rifle like. Seekins and Larue however consistently seem to print ridiculous groups for a semi.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top