Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2024 7:52:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha]
17 years ago there was an interesting thread . It's even more interesting with the advent of the SFAR .
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/To_keep_it_interesting___the_case_for_7mm_BR_over_all_the_others/121-338844/

What ever became of Marty ?
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#1]
If that's Marty Weeme last I heard he moved out of the country years ago. 7BR is a good size for large frame guns which I assume is why JDJ used it for his Whispers. Looking at the 8.6 Blackout it's a pretty similar case length. If it ends up sticking around I bet we see some wildcats in various calibers.

However, we have accepted an extended overseas assignment and we have formed a strategic alliance with Southern Ballistic Research, LLC (SBR).  All production has been moved to their facilities and they will be continuing our product line under our name during our absence.  They will be producing the same great uppers and components, using the same top shelf components and workmanship, but should be able to produce more due to a dedicated facility and staff.   Their website can be found here

https://www.sbrammunition.com/

We realize this may be disappointing news, but some opportunities cannot be refused and we are confident that SBR will be able to meet all your needs and expectations.

Marty and the Teppo Crew
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The 7mmBR doesn't have enough case capacity to get good velocity out of it's heavy bullet. It was designed to be a handgun cartridge. They need to look at the 6mm bullets. probably the 6mm-6.8 SPC would be my current choice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
The 7mmBR doesn't have enough case capacity to get good velocity out of it's heavy bullet. It was designed to be a handgun cartridge. They need to look at the 6mm bullets. probably the 6mm-6.8 SPC would be my current choice.
View Quote

He's talking about a 308 sized gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:57:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View Quote

Same deal. SFAR is the way to go though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:17:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#5]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cschaeff:

Not necessarily. He does talk about the 2.26 COAL and the ar15 being his main interest ... but also points to MGI modding a lower that'll house the M14 mag . The only issue at the time was bolts and extensions that would take the pressures and the larger diameter case . If I remember correctly , the shoehorning of the m14 mag also ate into the bolt hold-open space so that was gone.  

As far being considered a "handgun" bullet , any of the intermediate cartridges could be considered handgun cartridges if you go by the silhouette shooting sport with short bbls and fast powders .

For a short bbl of <16" the benchrest case is going to have more volume than a grendel/ppc or SPC ...and higher operating pressures. And , a 7mm bullet is going to have an easier time mustering BC than a 6mm ... as well as more bore area for those faster powders . You can extrapolate that idea out to .50 cal to see what I'm talking about ...it's somewhat similar to altitude , sea level the air is denser ...relative air density also operates on bullet size ...

* the 8.6 blackout is interesting if you're in a ar15 sized envelope. (44.5gr case capacity)
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 3:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#6]
7BR and 6BR were both done on the standard AR-15 platform by American Firearms around 1995.  
They had issues with bolt breakage.  However, using a SFAR extension and bolt, it should work fine in a standard AR-15.
Unfortunately, there's not really a good AR-15 magazine for that case diameter.

Marty came back to the States about a year ago.

Tony

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
7BR and 6BR were both done on the standard AR-15 platform by American Firearms around 1995.  
They had issues with bolt breakage.  However, using a SFAR extension and bolt, it should work fine in a standard AR-15.
Unfortunately, there's not really a good AR-15 magazine for that case diameter.

Marty came back to the States about a year ago.

Tony

View Quote

Good to hear about Marty . Shame on the mag situation.  I have seen some ATI 410 mag suggestions , but I'm not convinced .

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top