Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Well,

I think these are great little units.  The one I have is, externally, in REALLY great condition (no dings or paint wear).

If the ocular lens was perfect, it would be a PVS-4 killer.

<I've sold the unit.>  Otherwise, I'll keep it until I find a dead unit with a clear ocular lens.

GB
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered a mount, we'll see if it works out like I hope it does. The store is only a few hours away from me so hopefully it won't take long to get.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I should keep this for myself but I can't help but share seeing all the good info I have received from this forum.

http://www.tarheelordnance.com/store/page5.html

I got one and it was as good of a deal as it looks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Huh, I wonder if my reticle is burned out, then. I mistook the dot in the center of the scope for being the reticle. If they take PVS-4 reticles, there's like a zillion of them on eBay (including some more interesting ones, like a .308 reticle).
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just ordered a mount, we'll see if it works out like I hope it does. The store is only a few hours away from me so hopefully it won't take long to get.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I should keep this for myself but I can't help but share seeing all the good info I have received from this forum.

Yeah, I ordered one too... -grin-
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried to take a few pics last night with my phone through my NV scope and while I did struggle a bit some did come out somewhat decent.  It's very hard to hold a 2+ pound scope in one hand and try to balance a phone in the other and taking the pic with my nose...not the best system but it worked.  The actual image quality is better than the pictures, but you will get the idea.  I had the gain at the lowest setting, moon was around 3/4-2/3 full with about 50% cloud cover.

This is our girl's play yard and is about 20 yards away, reticle is turned off.  The blurry fence at the bottom is for the dog's part of the yard and is around 10 yards away.
" />

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
This is my neighbor's house, again about 20 yards away.  Reticle is again off.  The tiny bright spot that is just left of center is from in the tube, not a reflection on the house.
" />

Same neighbor's house this time with the reticle turned on.  The inverted "V" covers the tiny bright spot.
" />
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a different neighbor's shed and is about 75 yards away.  The blurry vertical lines are our (crappy) bushes that need to be trimmed.
" />

And of course this is my actual NV unit and it now wears the PVS-4 filtered front cap, which is very nice BTW and fits like a glove.  I just need to make some markings as to which position the lever is in equals either which filtered lens or which open pin hole.
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Excuse me for interrupting you, but I have a question. Due to similarity of objective assembly of VNP-009 and PVS-4 is it possible to change reticle of VNP-009 sight like we can do it for PVS-4? I have VNP manual in .pdf but there is no description how to change the reticle cell.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't say for certain that the parts are interchangeable between PVS-4 and VNP-009, but I assume so. Replacing the reticle is simple,.....unscrew the reticle cap at the center of the objective lens. Under the cap you'll find a brass screw(reticle diode). Use a coin to unscrew that. Under the diode lies the reticle cell. That simply pops out with a hooked tool you'll have to make yourself. The reticle cell has an indexing pin that locates in a groove through the threads upon reinstallation. Nothing to it.

I've had a couple of reticles that wouldn't light on my VNP's. Removing and reinstalling the diode has brought them both to life.. Apparently these things have been sitting for some time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#10]
anybody with dead/broken scopes that they don't want?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can't say for certain that the parts are interchangeable between PVS-4 and VNP-009, but I assume so. Replacing the reticle is simple,.....unscrew the reticle cap at the center of the objective lens. Under the cap you'll find a brass screw(reticle diode). Use a coin to unscrew that. Under the diode lies the reticle cell. That simply pops out with a hooked tool you'll have to make yourself. The reticle cell has an indexing pin that locates in a groove through the threads upon reinstallation. Nothing to it.

I've had a couple of reticles that wouldn't light on my VNP's. Removing and reinstalling the diode has brought them both to life.. Apparently these things have been sitting for some time.
View Quote

More questions to you. Did you try to change reticle cell/ And what writings are on the VNP`s reticle cell?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I've worked on two of them. The first reticle cell didn't want to budge and I didn't want to break it so I gave up and reassembled the scope,.......and the reticle lit up. Either removing and replacing the diode did it or just applying pressure on the reticle did. I'm inclined to believe it was the diode. The second came apart with no problem,....the reticle cell just lifted out after removing the diode,.....and again the reticle lit after reassembling the scope. I don't recall any markings on the cell and I haven't got a PVS-4 to compare.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've worked on two of them. The first reticle cell didn't want to budge and I didn't want to break it so I gave up and reassembled the scope,.......and the reticle lit up. Either removing and replacing the diode did it or just applying pressure on the reticle did. I'm inclined to believe it was the diode. The second came apart with no problem,....the reticle cell just lifted out after removing the diode,.....and again the reticle lit after reassembling the scope. I don't recall any markings on the cell and I haven't got a PVS-4 to compare.
View Quote

Thank you!)))
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 2:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Highly recommend the PVS-4 lens caps.  Much better than the originals, fit perfectly, and allow you to zero in daylight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Highly recommend the PVS-4 lens caps.  Much better than the originals, fit perfectly, and allow you to zero in daylight.
View Quote

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
So...what's the verdict on the 7 units?

Quoted:
Uh Oh my friends and I placed an order for seven of these today so looks like we might get the bottom of the barrel with slim pickings!   Richard - I hope the last ones you have are in working order  Thanks APEX for all the info posted on this item!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]
OK finally had a chance to go through the 7 sets and only one of the night vision scopes is DOA.  I think it may be due to the fact it is corroded in the battery compartment and there one battery corroded and stuck in the other compartment.  I am not technical enough to attempt to fix that one.  All the other scopes light up/reticle and am working on the focus issues that have been reported previously.  All are in decent shape for military surplus and all the day scopes are clear and appear functional.  All had the accessories except for one kit was missing the manuals and one night scope was missing the rubber eye cover which happened to be the DOA one.  All are marked with the EE at the end with the exception of one without the EE marking.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK finally had a chance to go through the 7 sets and only one of the night vision scopes is DOA.  I think it may be due to the fact it is corroded in the battery compartment and there one battery corroded and stuck in the other compartment.  I am not technical enough to attempt to fix that one.  All the other scopes light up/reticle and am working on the focus issues that have been reported previously.  All are in decent shape for military surplus and all the day scopes are clear and appear functional.  All had the accessories except for one kit was missing the manuals and one night scope was missing the rubber eye cover which happened to be the DOA one.  All are marked with the EE at the end with the exception of one without the EE marking.
View Quote

Just get something like deoxit to clean out the corroded battery bay, you only need one bay to work to run the unit. Its not rocket science provided the spring connectors are still there in some form.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just get something like deoxit to clean out the corroded battery bay, you only need one bay to work to run the unit. Its not rocket science provided the spring connectors are still there in some form.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if the "EE" designation indicates a difference in how the batteries are wired?  It seems that I've read reviews here and at subguns stating in one case that the whole scope (tube and reticle) would run with batteries in one compartment only, and other reviews saying that one compartment ran the reticle and one the tube.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]
GOOD NEWS!  I cleaned up a bit the battery compartment on the 1 (DOA) out of the 7 units that were purchased.  I then put some fresh batteries in and everything is working now on the formerly DOA unit!!   So all 7 units now work although the one needs some more cleaning for sure!  Since there have been speculation on with the EE vs the non EE designation means I decided to open the one unit with the markings VNP-009 (without the EE extension).  It is a different TUBE than the Phillips one mentioned in the forum with the EE designation.  The Tube WITHOUT the EE designation is marked 'PHOTONS Made in France 9911524'.  Everything else looks exactly the same as the other EE ones except for the tube and the allen key needed to loosen the focus ring.  Really happy that all 7 units work.  Thanks for all the feedback from other forum members on these cool units.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I forgot to mention the VNP-009 unit (without the EE designation) only needs batteries in ONE compartment and the reticle lights up as well just like the
VNP-009 EE units.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad to hear you fixed it.

Any other markings on the tube other than this? Anything starting with XX?

PHOTONS Made in France 9911524
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#23]
The complete markings on the TUBE for the VNP-009 (NON EE) unit is:  PHOTONS Made in France 9911524  XX1509/J01.  Just curious - does that mean a similar or a replacement tube is available for these?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The complete markings on the TUBE for the VNP-009 (NON EE) unit is:  PHOTONS Made in France 9911524  XX1509/J01.  Just curious - does that mean a similar or a replacement tube is available for these?
View Quote

XX1509 is the photonis tube type. Given that the company is still around while Mullard is not, I'd say folks have a better chance of finding this tube. I see some Chinese companies might still make it. 400 PCR, 45lp/mm is pretty good for this sort of tube.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#25]
So the only difference between the EE and non EE is the manufacturer of the tubes?  Are the tubes interchangeable between the 2 units?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Hi All -  Looking at the connection pins and size of tube both the EE and non EE tubes definitely are interchangeable from my observation from looking at the different units I have.  Dimensionally the scope cases are exactly the same internally and externally.  I did notice when using the non EE tube it appears 'softer' and not as much snow static as the EE models (sorry I don't know the proper lingo) although the image seemed a little brighter on the EE one even at the full setting.  Since I only have one NON EE unit I don't know if this is how it should be.  I also did notice the end of the Photonics (France) tube where the honey combs are is different than the Phillips tube.   I am going to see about getting some pics up to share with everyone but it won't be until next week.  In the meantime keep the comments and questions coming.  I would like to know how to extract the tube itself from the lense/housing cover.   Overall these are very nice units and with the exception of a couple corroded battery bays these are awesome for military surplus!   I also never commented but all the day scopes all work and the glass is in nice condition.  A few have scratches and paint missing on the outside and  the others are almost in perfect shape - bottom line they all work!!  I think another member commented that these were inspected/refurbed before storage (with the inventory tags) which could be why some needed a little work to get them lit up after sitting for years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Hi All -  Looking at the connection pins and size of tube both the EE and non EE tubes definitely are interchangeable from my observation from looking at the different units I have.  Dimensionally the scope cases are exactly the same internally and externally.  I did notice when using the non EE tube it appears 'softer' and not as much snow static as the EE models (sorry I don't know the proper lingo) although the image seemed a little brighter on the EE one even at the full setting.  Since I only have one NON EE unit I don't know if this is how it should be.  I also did notice the end of the Photonics (France) tube where the honey combs are is different than the Phillips tube.   I am going to see about getting some pics up to share with everyone but it won't be until next week.  In the meantime keep the comments and questions coming.  I would like to know how to extract the tube itself from the lense/housing cover.   Overall these are very nice units and with the exception of a couple corroded battery bays these are awesome for military surplus!   I also never commented but all the day scopes all work and the glass is in nice condition.  A few have scratches and paint missing on the outside and  the others are almost in perfect shape - bottom line they all work!!  I think another member commented that these were inspected/refurbed before storage (with the inventory tags) which could be why some needed a little work to get them lit up after sitting for years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

XX1509 is the photonis tube type. Given that the company is still around while Mullard is not, I'd say folks have a better chance of finding this tube. I see some Chinese companies might still make it. 400 PCR, 45lp/mm is pretty good for this sort of tube.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like we need a group buy on new tubes!!!  
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]
The tube itself is held in place by the black plastic split ring. It has a small screw that is loosened and the tube slides out. The 3 wires slide off. No point in removing it unless it is bad. i doubt there are any replacemenI tubes as this tube was pretty much made for this scope.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#30]
OK thanks on how to take out the tube.  What about cleaning/replacing the eyepiece lens or is it integrated onto the tube?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, good luck with that. I doubt that this was the only optic to use them, but I'll be damned if I know what the others were. As for new production good luck with that, I'm sure it's possible but I doubt it would be cheap.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#32]
There must be spares somewhere although it's entirely possible that they're lost in Spanish military stores(or more likely Spain has already dumped them into the sea). Also possible that their inventory of parts is used up and that's why the scopes got surplused.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Photonis makes (or made).repalcement tubes for legacy scopes in addition to their modern designs.  For example, they appear to still make the XX1380 which was a contemporary to the XX1500.  So the photonis tube might well just be.a replacement tube for the original, or another original supplier of tubes.
Good info that it might still be made as the XX1509.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Separate group buy replacement tube interest thread is up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Just seeing if you received your mount yet...I haven't.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
me neither.  I've got two separate orders and neither has been delivered yet.  not even a shipping update.  was planning on contacting him on monday for an update, but I just dropped him an email.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#37]
got a reply back that they have been on vacation and that they would be shipping out in the next day or so.

they were wondering why they're seeing a run on them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Hi All - I found a bonus with the day and night scope manuals and that is an original CETME-L manual!   Also, found a cool link (in Spanish) but great pics of the VNP-009 scope and rifle:  http://www.armas.es/foros/visores-y-accesorios/visores-nocturnos-reglamentarios-en-espana-966947

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Comparison of the VNP-009 (left pic) and VNP-009EE (right pic) tubes:

https://i.imgsafe.org/3eae2b3330.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/3eae464ef1.jpg

Also, here are a couple pictures of the 5.56 CETME L manual that was left in the hard case:

Did anyone else score on finding the CETME L manuals?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#41]
yup, I got a CETME-L manual in mine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:26:32 AM EDT
[#42]
There is a mount on Amazon that seems to work pretty well, it only costs $13.00. I wanted to wait till I received mine before I posted anything, I didn't want to recommend it without seeing it. I received mine yesterday and it works well, I've been able to mount both scopes on it without a problem, it goes on my flat top AR easily. Two large knobs to lock it in place. The build quality seems decent and certainly worth the $13.00. I wasn't quite ready to sink $100 into an A.R.M.S. mount just yet..at least not until I tried this first. Give it a try if you still need a mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9IL5YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I received my ARMS mount from Tar Heel today and my worrying that it wouldn't work are now officially put to bed.  The mount is lightly used, and I mean lightly.  There appeared to be some extremely fine sand on both locking arms but it came off quickly with a few scrubs with a cleaning toothbrush.  The STANAG mounting screws that came with both night & day scopes fit perfectly except for the lock washer as at least the ones that came with mine had just a too big diameter to fit inside of the mount.  It's very low profile and is perfect as the night sight sits high as it is and the mount adds a minimal amount.  With it mounted on my AR I'm not picking my head up that much and I can comfortably look through the ocular.  I also tried the mount on the day scope and now I wished that I ordered 2 of them as I believe that it would make a great 3-gun optic.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There is a mount on Amazon that seems to work pretty well, it only costs $13.00. I wanted to wait till I received mine before I posted anything, I didn't want to recommend it without seeing it. I received mine yesterday and it works well, I've been able to mount both scopes on it without a problem, it goes on my flat top AR easily. Two large knobs to lock it in place. The build quality seems decent and certainly worth the $13.00. I wasn't quite ready to sink $100 into an A.R.M.S. mount just yet..at least not until I tried this first. Give it a try if you still need a mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9IL5YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View Quote

Those same mounts are available on the auction site a little cheaper direct from China. Search UTG AR riser or STANAG to narrow it down. Available in three heights,....0.5" for the VNP-009 on AR flat-top,......1.0" for the F scope on the AR. Also available in 0.83" but that doesn't work as well for either. $10, $14, and $13 delivered in about 10 days. They're perfectly good mounts,....not as classy or as easily detachable as the $170 A.R.M.S.,...but for the price difference I can almost permanently mount the scope on a dedicated upper.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Those same mounts are available on the auction site a little cheaper direct from China. Search UTG AR riser or STANAG to narrow it down. Available in three heights,....0.5" for the VNP-009 on AR flat-top,......1.0" for the F scope on the AR. Also available in 0.83" but that doesn't work as well for either. $10, $14, and $13 delivered in about 10 days. They're perfectly good mounts,....not as classy or as easily detachable as the $170 A.R.M.S.,...but for the price difference I can almost permanently mount the scope on a dedicated upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Midway has these on sale right now for $10.99, but only has high and medium.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I received my ARMS mount from Tar Heel today and my worrying that it wouldn't work are now officially put to bed.  The mount is lightly used, and I mean lightly.  There appeared to be some extremely fine sand on both locking arms but it came off quickly with a few scrubs with a cleaning toothbrush.  The STANAG mounting screws that came with both night & day scopes fit perfectly except for the lock washer as at least the ones that came with mine had just a too big diameter to fit inside of the mount.  It's very low profile and is perfect as the night sight sits high as it is and the mount adds a minimal amount.  With it mounted on my AR I'm not picking my head up that much and I can comfortably look through the ocular.  I also tried the mount on the day scope and now I wished that I ordered 2 of them as I believe that it would make a great 3-gun optic.
View Quote

Good to hear, I was a little worried I made a poor suggestion to everyone! Thats funny that I caused a run on them! I should call and ask for my commission!

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I received two scopes. Both work. I was very happy overall.

The ones I received has a good size burn mark on it but is otherwise good.

The second scope is perfect. However the "clarity" is not as good. For example, the one with a burn can see the US flag in great detail. The perfect one can see the flag but does not have the clarity to make out the stripes...etc. The burn mark one is also a bit brighter... Do I just need to adjust the focus? I will try this but I don't think its that as the focus is not maxed out... its just not as clear??? I don't know much about NV. Any ideas?

I will say that my Z51 compares very well to these. Other than the annoying noise, the Z51 is really about equal to Gen II...

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:40:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Found some more information.  Here are the data sheets for the XX1500 tube:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_KHF-2rYTtbelNYdHRNWHhKWHM&usp=sharing
Also on that page are the data sheets for the XX1306.  Comparing them to the 1500 it looks like they may well be a compatible size, with diameters being the same, and the 1306 being shorter by 7mm.  The 1306 is also an 18mm inverter tube.  In fact one post on another website refers to the 1306 as basically a 1500 without manual gain control.   The 1306 is also still available NOS for £250 from a British dealer, and I've talked to him once so far.  There may yet be hope for dead scopes, though it would be giving up the manual gain.  Finally, I wonder if it would be possible to rejuvenate a 1500 with a 1306 power supply?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I will say that my Z51 compares very well to these. Other than the annoying noise, the Z51 is really about equal to Gen II...

View Quote

Most late model gen1 triple cascade scopes had better gain and resolution when compared to the early gen2 25mm format scopes like the pvs4 and the enosa.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#50]
So, I've had zero success bringing my reticle to life. Any ideas on what I should be looking at in terms of fixing it?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top